Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 58262 times)

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #285 on: April 25, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

I support this thread.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 26, 2008, 03:18:00 am »

So do I.

---------------*~*The dream shifts*~*-----------------

Liceyi had gained new understanding of the natural world, and became aware of creatures far to the Southeast that would aid him.  These were the drylands, areas where no trees grew and water was scarce, but they held the same wild force as the deepest recesses of the Divine jungle.

Liceyi had been drawn to this place by the wild's call for vengeance, and although it was not a part of the woodlands, the natural world would always lend allies to its own.

Liceyi stood in astonishment of the creatures standing before him.  Great bronze plates of armor rippling down their unspeakably alien backs and the lengths of their curled tails, massive bulbous stingers nestled comfortably inside the tight coils.

They stood there, watching Liceyi with their small dark eyes and contemplating him from over their horrifyingly massive pincers.  Although communicating with these beasts was somewhat difficult due to their nature, Liceyi found that he could do so just fine.  They had been summoned, all three, by the ancient powers of the wild.  They had been called forth to aid him.

Liceyi graciously accepted the offer of alliance from the creatures, and hurried back to his home within the forests, the shining carapaces of three of the desert's grand guardians in tow.

Liceyi was surprised at not only how well the scorpions adapted to the cooler and moister climate of the forest, but also to how well the animals reacted to them.  Liceyi believed that they could not communicate with his new allies any better than he could, but he thought the other animals could respect their palpable aura of strength and give them their own space.

Liceyi called forth more warriors from the forest to aid him.  Unicorns beckoned to his call, along with the ever-present wolves.  Once he felt that he had garnered enough troops to aid him for his next assault, he marched off to the small village of Galzega.  Snakesscrubs could wait for another time, Licey would deal with them later.  For now, they would strike at the weaker fringe settlements to build up morale and experience for his followers.

They attacked in broad daylight, charging the inn at the edge of town witht he armored scorpions leading the assault.  The leader of this village had just stepped out after hearing the shouts when the scorpions came to him.  With mighty pincers they proceeded to dismember him, taking him apart like a child will do to its doll.  The leader screamed for only as long as his head remained attached to his neck, which was not long at all.

A guard rushing to his aid gained the attention of the fully-raised tails of the mighty desert warriors.   With a blur of movement, the scorpion shot his poison-laced stinger straight into the guard's skull, injecting a slightly redundant poison into the human's brain.

The beasts flew into the chaos of battle with the calm efficency of the incredibly alien world of the arachnid mind.  They tore apart human after human after human, be they guard or merchant, peasant or priest.  The other followers Liceyi had brought along were slow to keep up with the massive creatures, but they held their own nonetheless.

Liceyi was aware that his forces has spread out again, their minds clouded by the revelry of combat.  He caught sight of a unicorn being brought down by a group of peasants and then a pikeman viciously plunging his wicked weapon into the unicorn's head, stilling it.

The hunt carried on, as the sleepy village was harshly awakened.  The fighting carried on long into the night, but neither side showed signs of tiring.  The scorpions continued to tear apart the villagers into piecemeal, and the villagers still attempted to fight back with whatever weapons they could find.

As the sun rose, Galzega fell.  The last few stragglers were found and slaughtered, and Liceyi stormed the buildings to find those who had hidden themselves away in hopes of survival.  When he was finished, not a soul stirred in the rough dirt streets.

Liceyi took stock of his remaining forces.  The wolves had been struck down, their souls joined now in the great hunt, and there was the unicorn that had been slain by the pikeman.  One scorpion was unaccounted for, although Liceyi doubted that the mighty creature had actually been killed.

A smile began to play upon Liceyi's lips.  There was power within them now.  Power enough to do mighty things, mighty enough to give a fight that the despoilers would never in their graves forget.

---------------*~*The dream fades*~*-----------------

Starting group:
6 Unicorns
3 Giant scorpions
3 Wolves

Ending group:
5 Unicorns
2 Giant scorpions (I'm almost certain he just got trapped in a building somewhere)
0 Wolves.

Villager casualties:
22 Killed by beasts
5-7 Killed by Liceyi

I'm going to be making another recruiting run.  I think I'll stick with forest creatures this tie, as trying to tie in critters from other lands is a bit strange.  Why would scorpions care about the forest?   Anything that dwells in or nearby areas of massive plant growth is okay though.

Now, here's another thing.  I can currently recruit 12 or so animals (got a little extra XP in this last fight, so the level's gone up a little).  However, using Dwarf Companion, I can give myself several conversation skills and max them out to legendary.  Theoretically, I should then be able to recruit even more animals.  Should I do this?

Also, what about that last scorpion?  Leave him there to lay claim to his own little town, or go back and try to find him?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 26, 2008, 04:14:00 am »

Unless he's got so lost he left the site, he should be with you when you travel out.

And yeah, stick to the creatures of the forests and the plains surrounding the human towns. I'll just ask to you to try and get a feline in your next attack pack, simply because I'm used to dispatching them as an adventurer, but I almost never see them fighting commonfolk.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 26, 2008, 04:55:00 am »

I did travel out, that's how I found out about who all was still around.  They got so spread out, I was just walking arund by myself until I travelled out of there using the overland map.  I didn't know any of the unicorns were stil alive until I found five of them clustered around me, along with two of the three scorps.

There may be other stragglers that are just wandering around...  It's even possible that they got teleported to a random cave somewhere.  Who knows?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2008, 08:34:00 am »

Well, you could try to go back to the town, it would probably give you an option to go to a "creature" if there are any lost teammates around the site.

If you can't find the scorp, leave him be. While definetly worth having as teammates (or so you make it seem), just one won't make much of a difference.

Oh, and don't use divine interventions. Having an ultrapowerful druid made through memhacking is one thing, seeing one rise to power through your effort is another.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

But I'd be using DC to give me legendary levels in conversation skills.  Last I checked, it is in fact impossible to talk someone's ear off in adventure mode.  It would affect nothing but the amount of creatures I would be able to have following me (in theory).

These are skills I can't train normally, so it's not like I'm taking a shortcut.  I'm accessing something that I normally wouldn't be able to access.

That sounded like a better argument before I wrote it out...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

Well for example your parameters such as strength and agility will rise with the skills. Also, would it be THAT much more fun to be able to bring an overpowering armada of followers that can easily take over a human capital?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2008, 09:53:00 am »

Actually, if you edit a skill with DC the stats don't rise.  And if they did, you could edit them back down again.  You can make a legendary mason/engraver/axedwarf/shield user/planter/cheese maker that wasn't even "tough".

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2008, 03:34:00 pm »

You think you could grab a few shovels/axes to use as makeshift tomahawks?
Reason I mention shovels is,well thats kinda wonky but interesting non-the-less   :D .You could just use them when a situation is dire or you face a particularly tough opponent.

[ April 26, 2008: Message edited by: SHAD0Wdump ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 27, 2008, 02:18:00 am »

He'd need to start a fort for that. Shovels are not weapons for sale. Though in all seriousness, I see no reason why... I mean, knives are for sale, even though you can't spawn with them...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 27, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

hmmm I thought you had something involving elves and a adamantium shovel(best use of HFS ever  :D ).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 27, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

Yeah, the issue remains as of 1.5b, but I've fixed it in 1.6. It's interfering with the new metals in the minerals mod.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 27, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Well I'll settle for anything else thats kinda kwerky besides throwing stones and bugs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 28, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

Hrmm...  Hadn't thought of anything "kwerky", particularly not for this guy.  I had three candidates for the next character, and none of them were particularly oddball.

I would also like to reiterate that this guy ain't pickin' up anything metal, at least not so far as the story is concerned.

So, verdict on the legendary conversationalist hacking?  Currently it's one vote against, zero votes for.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 28, 2008, 02:57:00 am »

Well, perhaps a competent conversationalist would be alright, though legendary means that suddenly he's spouting off grand speeches to crowds who are inspired to great deeds by his words (at least that's my vision of a legendary talker).  But competent or even proficient would be fine.  Just put it off to him "getting more in tune with the natural world." or other such elvish nonsense.
All generalizations are false....including this one.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37