Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX  (Read 13805 times)

Sir Dorfleburg

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us end this pointless fighting!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament IX
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2024, 01:05:02 pm »

Such a shame Mikey died. I mean, I suppose he had it coming. After all, from what I’ve heard from the brewers and regular tavern-goers, no one really liked Mikey. Good on steelblood, I suppose, for ending this fiendish scarer’s life.
Now, to give you the real reason we put Mikey in the tournament: To get rid of him.
He had a good chance, sure, but Steelblood did too. His story of mightiness will be told throughout the fortress for, uh, a year, maybe? If Steelblood could deal with this warrior, just imagine what he could do.
I give all my respect and luck to Steelblood. He’ll give Logem a run for his betting money.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2024, 01:29:06 pm »

That went exactly as I suspected for Don Kevin against the crab man Verden.

It’s a very good build. The cheapness of striker ranks plus crab claws is a strong meta. I knew he was the only gladiator I feared and as soon as I saw the bracket I knew poor Kevin was doomed.

Congratulations, NJW2000. If you upgrade wisely you could win this damn thing!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2024, 01:46:38 pm »

amazing fights, great writeups.
Steelblood is the protagonist of this tourney, obviously.
its too bad Arragern sel Morristlai the Polar Bear Woman died. It would have been a good fight between us creatures of the ice.

100 gold bet on Ine the Undead Impaler (thanks Howard for the win, but lightning never strikes twice you know? don't take this bet against your success personally )

Nekkowe

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm using tilt controls!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2024, 02:14:30 pm »

Bets for Round 2 are open, and the deadline's the same as for upgrades.
So please get your bets in by the 19th of July, 12 GMT!
Even if you didn't bet on Round 1, there's nothing stopping you from joining in late.

---

And here are the stats!

This year, Round 1 kicked off with 1192☼ total across 25 bets.
The smallest bet was just 2☼, and the biggest bets were the full starting funds' worth!
Five bettors went all-in right off the bat, and three of them already crashed out...

The gladiators with the most bets placed on them were:
1. Howard, with 160☼ across 3 bets
2. A three-way tie! Snaggle The Mad Sadist, Canon and that one cat we found, each of them had 120☼ in bets placed on them.

The matchup that had the most riding on it was 1I, Howard (160☼) vs. Aunt Ana Pastor, First of Her Name (80☼), totaling 240☼ across four bets.

The matchup with the most individual bets placed was 1C, Snaggle The Mad Sadist (3 bets) vs. Gug (2 bets)!

---

Things are heating up - good luck going forward!

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2024, 02:21:54 pm »

I am so sad that i lost the 2 gold that i bet on Gug.

Matius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2024, 02:25:17 pm »

Satisfyingly bloody first round, Howard's fight in particular was a work of art. Shame about Canon, that leaves just one Battle Royale winner; congrats to the Grovewarden, and condolences to the human's friends and relatives.
Brutal performance by Rudolf as well! Steelblood is anxiously awaiting his fight with the reindeer-man, I'm told. Already snout-deep in training and preparations, muttering something about "honour" and a "legendary battle" all throughout.

Now, on the business side of things... We might have, uh, made a few bets that certainly looked good at the time. I think it's time to recoup those losses with a confident investment in a rising gladiator; and while their opponent looks fearsome indeed, and this betting strategy might be less than honourable, neither the fighter in question nor their manager doubt the fight's final outcome (and that's what matters in this business.)

20 gold on Steelblood Deathedge!

BecauseISaid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2024, 06:07:14 pm »

35 gold on Snaggle The Mad Sadist please!

MichaelB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2024, 07:42:52 pm »

30 Gold on Verden 'Crabcakes' Oceanblade

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2024, 03:02:09 am »

ant queen ana vs tree gecko hand harold.
was a fun match to read.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels task: interrupted by werebison
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2024, 07:35:02 am »

I'll bet 5 on Leppo the leopard seal man for next round. I think this means I have 45 gold left. RIP Gug

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2024, 08:08:43 am »

This post is aimed at you, RNG gods of Dwarf Fortress. You owe me.

Story time.

Last year I submitted a very meta character, you know the usual (obvious if you look at previous winners) small humanoid with high dodging + weapon skill.
Last year my meta character also died to a minotaur with very low skills, can't remember the details but the matchup was something like

My char with professional weapon skills, adept shield, professional dodger, proficient armor-user, competent observer and discipline with full steel armor, steel weapon and shield.
vs. a shield minotaur with like level 2 levels of offense like kicking, biting, misc. object user etc.

and still my char got kicked in the head almost lethally which eventually resulted in the loss.

So this year I thought, I'll try that funny build too, big character with a shield, somehow tank through all the damage and get that ridiculously lucky lethal hit with barely no skills involved.

However, now that I've ran hundreds of simulated fights with different builds against my next opponent with the aforementioned meta build, there's p much no chance for a win, just like it shoulda been last year as well. It's literally 20-to-1 or worse. In fact, I changed my build around a bit and the best I could do was a 15-25% win rate against an optimized build on the character Melon Tusk will face next. I'm gonna bet most of my money on the opponent's character, cos that's what should win and I fully expect to beat my character, unless the RNG gods interfere yet again.

Stimraug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2024, 08:10:02 am »

100 gold on Drekkar.

eldritchScholar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2024, 10:43:06 am »

A Statement from Manager E, former representative of Tekkud the Singed

"Holy mother of Armok, do you /see/ that shit?" -- Manager E,
overheard during fight 1A

First off, congrats to Rudolph, you put up a hell of a fight kid. Some real
brutal stuff. Real tournament material.

We've managed to track down Tekkud's home fortress, and will be shipping his
body back to be entombed there. We figure it's what he would have wanted. Just
waiting to hear back from some of the guys in the Arena cleanup crew and postal
office about whether we're gonna need a barrel or a bin to ship him in.

Oh, and Rudolph, you can go ahead and keep that pick, if you manage to work it
free from your antler.

Ah, looks like the postal guys are ready. If you'll excuse me, I gotta lotta
stamps to lick.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2024, 01:01:44 pm »

I can now say that Snaggle has agreed to wear pants, both in and out of the arena. This is the only concession I could get out of her.

Ill bet 100 gold on Howard.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sir Dorfleburg

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us end this pointless fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2024, 12:16:50 pm »

Ah yes. Bets. Assuming what I read was correct, I should have 87 gold. Now, what to do with that gold?
What to do with that gold apart from bet it all, that’s right, all 87, on Steelblood Deathedge. Good luck all, and may the best better win. Er- fighter.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 12:18:29 pm by Sir Dorfleburg »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17