Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 49765 times)

prefuzek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 9/9 [Day 1: Hackers Among Us]
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2021, 04:57:30 pm »

EXTENSION
I oppose this. I remember a time when in-game days would last for weeks because of infinite extensions. It was awful.

I don't like ToonyMan's argument that Web's reading of EuchreJack is infallible because as far as I know Jack has only ever been town. However I do agree that Jack looks way more town lately so unvote.

Hedgerow is doing nothing but talk about the setup which is something scum can do just as easily as town. I also think that Roden might be correct in that they slipped up with the roleblocker thing, but it's hard to say. But I'm getting an even stronger scum-feeling on FallacyofUrist, whose posts read more like somebody commenting on a game that they're not a part of than someone invested in figuring things out. Their whole "I'm not going to post reads" thing feels like a pointless affectation, and it's pretty much all they've done so far.

I'll make a full reads list - if, if and only if you post a case, voting for the player you think is scummiest. The case must contain at least three reasons for your vote and three quotes from different posts to go with it, and the reasons cannot include 'has not posted a reads list'. Sounds fair?
Think about this a bit. Is FoU suspicious of anyone? Do they care about their own reads? They haven't voted for anyone, but apparently they do have reads with which to barter with EuchreJack. But not strong enough reads to vote or even put down any pressure.

What's up, FoU? What are you doing?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2021, 07:07:41 pm »

@Toonyman: Thanks, I appreciate it!

In this case, do you think Hedge is our best bet if we were to wagon somebody? I don't think he's playing like a newbie town.

Why do you think that Hedge is not playing like a newbie town?

Spoiler: quote from hedgerow (click to show/hide)

Your posts in general are really confusing and assume a lot...

But, did you just slip that we have a Roleblocker?

To clarify, did you mean that Hedgerow may have admitted there is a Mafia Roleblocker?

Yes. At the very least, Hedge's theory seems to be based around there being a Roleblocker, but no one ever suggested one existed until this exact post. They're either scum slipping or trying to think twenty steps ahead but forgetting to explain the first nineteen steps.

I don't think Hedge is playing like newbie town because there's no reservation or hesitance in their reads. If you're getting town read and I'm getting town read, newbie town would most likely think we're either actually town or maybe scum buddies. But Hedge wants to push a narrative that there's one scum between us and that we're going after each other, even though that already ended by the time they made their posts about us.

It feels less like a misplaying town and more like an open wolf who wants us to keep fighting.

@Roden: Please answer the above questions.

Why say this not even a minute later lol. It's not like I've been dodging your posts.

@Roden:

@Roden:

I think you're right about Jack. Although I'm a bit miffed my reads are wrong, this definitely looks like a flaying townie now which I suppose is the exact info we need. This makes Web/FoU look better if true although not as cleared.

@Hedgerow:

I don't understand your case against Roden. Also you edited your post again.

In this case, do you think Hedge is our best bet if we were to wagon somebody? I don't think he's playing like a newbie town. I'm trusting you because of your reaction to Jack, you're trying to get him to calm down and stop flooding the thread and you'd have no reason to do that as mafia. Jack feels like a really easy mis-elim at this point.

I think Hedgerow is a better wagon than Jack currently, they're openly scummy but I don't think it's a likely mafia hit. I'm really not feeling Roden/Jack/FoU right now so if we take those players out we're left with Magma/Pref/Blu/Rolan.

That would leave the two mafia inside Magma/Pref/Blu/Rolan. Rolan could be with anyone. Would have to look at the other possibilities.

Do you see anything that looks convincing in there?

Rolan can't be sorted but I think they'd be more invested if they rolled mafia. Then again, they did say they prefer town.

Blu and Pref both have a bit of scum equity with Hedge IMO, so if Hedge flips red I'd look at the two of them. Blu for a lazy town read on Hedge, and Pref for acknowledging Hedge is scummy but then trying to push a wagon on FoU after rejecting another extension. I do agree that FoU needs to contribute more though.

Magma feels so town it hurts. I've noted concerns in my reads list but I honestly can't justify voting them just because of my paranoia. Especially not on Day 1.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2021, 07:23:15 pm »

Why say this not even a minute later lol. It's not like I've been dodging your posts.
I thought I was being unclear, since I stared with an "@Toonyman".

What are your thoughts over voting Rolan7?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2021, 07:33:58 pm »

I thought I was being unclear, since I stared with an "@Toonyman".

What are your thoughts over voting Rolan7?
Ah, gotcha. I don't think we have any way of sorting Rolan, and I don't think we gain a whole lot from voting them. I think there's a pretty good chance they'll get night killed though if they're town, mafia prevents town from gaining info about associations that way.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2021, 08:53:38 pm »

I feel better about the Web/FoU slot. Here's the thing for me though, Web is really good at reading Jack so if Web thinks Jack is 100% town then that means if Web/FoU is town then Jack is almost certainly town. This point is moot if both are mafia however. I strongly feel Jack is scummy here so I suspect the Web/FoU slot heavily or Web is simply wrong.
This is a little disingenuous. EuchreJack has never rolled wolf (at least on this forum). How do you know that webadict is good at reading Jack, and not that he just town-reads him every time regardless of Jack's alignment? You're treating webadict as if he has some sort of god read on EuchreJack when there's no way of knowing whether that's actually true without seeing a game where Jack is mafia and webadict is town. I'm starting to believe that this is the game where that's happened, and that you're trying to use this to dissolve the EuchreJack wagon.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2021, 08:56:47 pm »

Also, if FallacyofUrist truly believed that read lists were not VITAL, they would NOT have criticized me for my low-effort reads list.  Extra Scum points for FallacyofUrist for only referring to the first, inferior reads list, and totally ignoring the second, better reads list.
Uh.

I'll be totally honest with you, I never noticed your second reads list. That's fair, then, if you polished your reads later.

The only reason I voted Web/FOU was due to their failure to post reads.
Okay, riddle me this. How many players have not posted a full detailed reads list, yet? Count them up. Are all those players scummy?

And if it's literally only me, then I suppose I can post one for the sake of comparisons, but otherwise I'd prefer to make my first good one Day 2, after we have a full Day of discussion to analyze. Not to say that I won't try and make a few individual reads. Right now, it looks like you're townie, but approaching things from a skewed, narrow perspective, for instance.
Can you make individual reads on every player? I don't understand your hesitance to post a reads list, it looks like a wolf afraid of revealing too much.

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2021, 09:40:07 pm »

I feel better about the Web/FoU slot. Here's the thing for me though, Web is really good at reading Jack so if Web thinks Jack is 100% town then that means if Web/FoU is town then Jack is almost certainly town. This point is moot if both are mafia however. I strongly feel Jack is scummy here so I suspect the Web/FoU slot heavily or Web is simply wrong.
This is a little disingenuous. EuchreJack has never rolled wolf (at least on this forum). How do you know that webadict is good at reading Jack, and not that he just town-reads him every time regardless of Jack's alignment? You're treating webadict as if he has some sort of god read on EuchreJack when there's no way of knowing whether that's actually true without seeing a game where Jack is mafia and webadict is town. I'm starting to believe that this is the game where that's happened, and that you're trying to use this to dissolve the EuchreJack wagon.
Actually, I take back what I said about Toony and EuchreJack being paired. I don't think that's particularly likely considering the discussions they've had throughout the game. However, I do stick to what I said about the pushing of webadict's read being odd.

---

Deadline is coming up (again) and I don't think the ToonyMan wagon is gaining traction, so I'll unvote for now. I'll be clear that he's still my preference and that I find his play today highly suspect, but if nobody else is going to vote there I'd rather apply pressure elsewhere.

---

Regarding the case of EuchreJack v. Roden, I think that Euchre makes a couple of good points about Roden. In particular, I didn't like Roden's response to the accusation of putting Jack within hammer range - I think a better way of putting it is that his vote placed EuchreJack as the only viable wagon hours before deadline, and if we hadn't had an extension then it's likely that Jack would have been considered a default lynch. I think this is what Jack was trying to get at with his accusation, and I don't like that Roden was using the wording of "hammer range" to escape this accusation.

I don't fully understand why EuchreJack unvoted Roden, though. As far as I can tell, it was in response to hedgerow saying that Jack was focusing too heavily on Roden. Can you explain Euchre, what is your current opinion on Roden?

---

I'm going to place my vote here:
FallacyOfUrist
The lack of reads and the amount of filler in your posts is alarming. Despite getting a deadline extension specifically for you to get into the game, you've done nothing but refuse to engage other players. I think you're trying to freely coast to day two by virtue of being a replacement.

I should be back before deadline to answer questions or change my vote if need be.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2021, 10:14:27 pm »

Can you explain Euchre, what is your current opinion on Roden?

Null read.  Roden's defense, while inadequate, struck me as Town.  It was complete, and the answers were a combination of explanation and misunderstanding.  No outright lies, no redirects, no trying to shift the blame.

We may be of similar minds, since my analysis of Rolan7 was similar to Roden's.  My specific thought process is that voting Rolan7 would be a waste since we only have a 2 out 9 chance of getting mafia, and no association analysis irregardless of how Rolan7 flips.  I hadn't thought of Rolan7, if they should be town, as a likely mafia kill until Roden brought it up, however.  No great loss for Town as Rolan7 isn't currently active, and elimination of a completely unpredictable element for mafia, since Rolan7 or a possible substitute could be deadly for them.
...so I'll let mafia see if they want to risk Vector subbing for Rolan7 on LYLO  :P

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2021, 10:31:09 pm »

My Reads:

Town
Roden - I think we're both town that found each other, their reasoning for town reading me felt super genuine and they backed off Jack in a natural way
Jack - unless partners with FoU

Weak Town
FoU - Web could have been pocketing Jack so I'll put them in weak town
Magma - hasn't done anything suspicious but I also haven't seen any big town tells, going to be cautious
Bluarian - dropping a bit from a solid town read based on the Jack stuff

Null
Pref - kind of unsure currently, dropping a bit like Blue
Rolan - complete wild card

Scummy
Hedgerow - blatantly scummy, if they're not a hit then I think the two mafia are in Magma/Blu/Pref/Rolan

Other Player's Reads:

Spoiler: BluarianKnight's Reads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EuchreJack's Reads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Prefuzek's Reads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magma Mater's Reads (click to show/hide)

FallacyofUrist doesn't have a reads list so I'll use what Webadict had instead for this slot.
Spoiler: Web/FoU's Reads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hedgerow's Reads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Roden's Reads (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolan's Reads (click to show/hide)

A Note:
Some of these reads aren't quite the latest but this is what I'm using unless said otherwise.
If somebody is currently voting someone that person will automatically be a strong scum read for them.
I'm using FoU's comments for some of Web's reads.

Town/Scum Scores

This is each player's total read score based on how every other player feels about them.

The points are valued as such:

Strong Town Read = +2
Mild Town Read = +1
Null = 0
Mild Scum Read = -1
Strong Scum Read = -2

Total Points:

The score addition order is (Toony, Bluarian, Jack, Pref, Magma, Web/FoU, Hedgerow, Roden, Rolan).

Magma Mater (+1,+1,+0,+2,+2,+0,+2,+0) = 8

BluarianKnight (+1,-1,+1,+1,-1,+0,+1,+0) = 2
EuchreJack (+2,-2,+0,+1,+2,-2,+1,+0) = 2
Roden (+2,+0,-2,+1,+2,+1,-2,+0) = 2

Rolan7 (+0,+1,+0,+0,+0,+0,+0,+0) = 1

ToonyMan (+1,-1,-1,-2,+1,+0,+2,+0) = 0

prefuzek (+0,+1,-1,-1,+0,+0,+0,+0) = -1
hedgerow (-2,+1,+0,+0,+0,+2,-2,+0) = -1

FallacyofUrist (+1,+0,+0,-2,-2,+0,+0,+0) = -3

Observations:

Magma is almost universally town read.

Bluarian, Jack, and Roden are slightly town read.

Rolan has a point thanks to Bluarian for some reason, basically true neutral though.

I am polarizing with players. I'm thankful for the suspicion though since it makes me a less likely nightkill target.

Pref isn't actually strongly read by any players, could be scummy since it means they might be purposely avoiding heat.

Hedgerow is mostly null or negative reads, similar status as FoU.

FallacyofUrist is almost entirely null read except for the two votes by Pref and Magma recently. Their situation is very similar to eliminating Rolan.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2021, 10:43:00 pm »

@Roden:
Ah, gotcha. I don't think we have any way of sorting Rolan, and I don't think we gain a whole lot from voting them. I think there's a pretty good chance they'll get night killed though if they're town, mafia prevents town from gaining info about associations that way.
I wouldn't nightkill Rolan if I was mafia. They're the perfect mislynch you can use on any day, it's ideal for mafia if Rolan is town.

@Magma:
I genuinely believe Web could accurately read Jack if they're being honest, yes. It's true that neither of us have seen mafia!Jack though.

Who I Want To Vote:
I don't know how I feel about a Hedgerow elimination. I'm okay with it based on what I've seen of them, but it's frustrating if Rolan is mafia. I think I want Rolan or Hedgerow for today. I don't want a FoU lynch currently but I would honestly prefer Rolan over Hedgerow right now since Hedgerow is so openly wolfing it doesn't make sense to me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2021, 10:47:30 pm »

I also think that if Rolan was town at least one of the mafia would have pushed for a Rolan wagon more aggressively sometime during this Day 1, which did not happen as far as I can tell. This could be an indicator that Rolan is mafia and their partner is just trying to ignore the issue.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2021, 10:50:13 pm »

Toonyman's advised me to look at how players responded to my near death, looking for those playing innocent, and whom seem to know I'm town unnaturally.

One player sprung to mind, and I called them out for it.

As other players are calling for my head, Blue is only reading me as "tiny scumlean".  There was the posturing towards me for calling them scum for garbage reasons, but mostly going after the first person to vote me.  Imagine the town cred Blue would have raked in, if I flipped Town!

The next post is minor insults toward me in response to my claim of buddying, and showing "kindness".  Also tried to stop another train.  I'm actually not sure WHICH train.

AFTER the vote on me seems to come to an end, Blue doesn't like my behavior all of a sudden.  Backs down from Hedgerow, whom might be the next target of Town, while most people are gearing up to pile on.

@Bluarian:
What has Hedgerow done that is townie?

They posted more - now, I've not time to dig deep yet, but I wanted to avoid being a part of a possible bandwagon.

That basically summarizes Blue's play this game.  Scum trying to play the outside game, so that when Town flips Town, they don't get blamed.

VOTE BLUARIANKNIGHT

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2021, 11:02:47 pm »

If Bluarian is mafia I think Pref makes the most sense as their partner? Blue goes at Hedgerow really hard and Magma is probably town. Rolan is a wild card so otherwise Blue/Pref makes the most sense to me. It kills me though since Bluarian always rolls mafia.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2021, 11:05:12 pm »

Updated Reads list
EuchreJack - My analysis of Blue depends on your belief in me being Town
Magma Mater - MVP so far, Too Town to Be Town is an awful argument, right?
ToonyMan - If Toonyman were scum, their efforts in trying to lynch me would make them a D2 lynch AND Toonyman knows it.  Ergo, probably Town.
FallacyofUrist - Inherits townlean from Web, I really want them around D2 if Town.  If Scum, I think Town can handle them.  Bad pick for lynch D1
Hedgerow - First Mafia game, at least first play-by-post mafia game.  Too afraid to admit it.  Probably being mislynched for being so new.
Roden - Might be sheeping Toonyman a bit on this one, also I analyzed Roden recently
Rolan7 - Null
prefuzek - Gets minor scumpoints for not extending even one more day, as that would be the move as scum.  I think they tried to mislynch me, and they're trying to mislynch FOU, but I have little actual evidence of scumminess.  You can see I've been working them, but nothing solid yet.

BluarianKnight - See analysis, and my vote

@ToonyMan: Ninja'd me with your post, you can see that I generally agree with you, although hadn't figured it out as well.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2021, 11:05:22 pm »

Can you make individual reads on every player? I don't understand your hesitance to post a reads list, it looks like a wolf afraid of revealing too much.
Ah, a supporter of EuchreJack's philosophy. I'm more of the philosophy that we learn more from the reactions to me not posting a reads-list than the reactions of me posting a reads-list, so normally I would save it until Day 2, but...

Here, I'll bribe you.

I'll make a full reads list - if, if and only if you post a case, voting for the player you think is scummiest. The case must contain at least three reasons for your vote and three quotes from different posts to go with it, and the reasons cannot include 'has not posted a reads list'. Sounds fair?
The Case of Town versus Roden:
It might not be the best case exactly, but it met the parameters I set, and there was clearly effort put into it, which I respect.

And going back on agreements is just a dick move. So yeah, I'll make a reads list.

Very Town:
EuchreJack. I think this is the one I can afford to hesitate the least on. Euchre is playing like... twitchy, new, inexperienced, kinda skewed town. Odd ideas, but at least trying to put them into practice. Matches the patterns I've seen from a lot of new, less practiced town (as opposed to new, but practiced, town).
Toony. Caveat, I trust my ability to read experienced players not at all, but if I don't at least try to make reads I'll never have any idea (even a poor one) of who the town and scum are. Reasoning, though: Let's set aside the educational stuff he's doing for the new players' game's sake. That's not alignment indicative. There's a platypus controlling me.
I don't think Jack being mafia makes sense unless the team is exactly Jack/FoU, but FoU should always be the one eliminated here first out of the two.
Let me expound on this.

Fact:
Web is good at reading Jack, it's likely his read would be accurate. This carries forward into the Web/FoU slot.

Scenarios:
(from most to least likely)

Jack and FoU are town.
Possible.

Jack is town. FoU is mafia.
Possible. Feels slightly less likely than scenario #1.

Jack and FoU are both mafia.
Unlikely. Jack spewed a bunch of reads while presenting a case against Roden who was very unlikely to be eliminated today when under vote pressure instead of say, Hedgerow. This attitude makes no sense from a mafia POV as Jack flipping mafia would invalidate their case they bothered to write on Roden. During last night mafia!Jack would have pushed for a more likely mislynch instead of going for Roden's head. They also voted FoU at one point but the pressure was very light.

Jack is mafia. FoU is town.
Almost impossible. This means Jack had a very convincing town act when on death's row while also Web was wrong about Jack.
@Jack:
For a self-proclaimed sheep your vote on Hedgerow is awfully sticky and not sheepy. Why do you want this Hedgerow elim so bad? Why aren't you vote hopping like a madman?
The way ToonyMan is interacting with the game state feels a little detached, but not necessarily in a bad way. Just like his focus has changed in playstyle from normal, for the sake of the new-player game. There are clearly cases being considered and pursued, just not as aggressively as normal - giving other people their time to shine, as per his 'I will cry if we get a Fal/me/Blu' endgame comment.

Sorta Town:
Magma Mater. Consistent. Like a brick. A positive, well-aimed, brick. Doesn't play like a newbie. Not sure they're judging Toony right, but that's okay. I don't have to agree with every one of someone's points to find them to be town. I like that they attacked me for perceived active-lurking, which is a good point. It's partly a consequence of my schedule (work and school, my oh my), but I'm taking the time to make a few posts now which should help address concerns? If not, then, well... oh well?
prefuzek. Same reasons. Caveat, though. Attacking someone who's producing a bunch of posts without much substantial content may be a good idea, but it could just as easily be 'oh, they're an easy target, let's rank them'. Still, I like it. For the moment.

Neutral:
Roden and Rolan. Roden's particularly focused on setup information, but not entirely, to be fair. And Rolan has... one post? One? I don't like that. Ironically, I must ask that you post more.

Time To Feast Time To Feast Time For You To Be Deceased:
Hedgerow.
EuchreJack is scum for just giving it to Roden over and over again; that much is clear.
Everyone else seems about normal.  Can't really complain.  Just a regular townie doing regular townie things.
Roden would give the advantage to the mafia though.  There's no good reason to put the BP out there and he was sure enough to pin him or his partner as a role.
This tastes really bad. 'Everyone else seems about normal' is just... no? Nothing at all stands out among everyone else? That's a lotta detachment.
BluarianKnight. They're playing like they did in Magic Mafia. I'd vote them, but hedgerow stands out more for the moment.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49