Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111184 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 4 - You Definitely Screwed Up
« Reply #1695 on: January 10, 2021, 05:15:53 pm »

Also, if you aren't mafia, you have invited kills on your head since I'm not risking a hat to you.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 10, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »

Nirur Torir: The person I want to lynch tomorrow. Has been seen as scummy since day 2 (read the section on him in my mega-post) and has done little to redeem himself. Was mostly fine in day 3, though like I said last time, it could have just been his team mates telling him to lay low. There was one post I found suspicious.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There's more of that sole night-killer nonsense, which I always will see as ridiculous and they also called Tric Scum. Ultimately, it's not much for day 3
"YOU CAN'T POINT TO ME BEING THE ONLY KILLER, THAT'S RIDICULOUS."
If the argument that you're the only one who's been killing at night is absurd, then please, point to where someone has died from someone other than you at night.
Tric has not actually been proven town until now, when he would have ended the game with Excalibur if he was scum.

The real bad stuff happens during this day though.

I make my big defense post which also comes with a case against Leafsnail. And all Nirur Torir does is quote an excerpt from it and say it's nothing, but WIFOM
I can't be bothered to read the entire wall, when what I do read is enough wine to get me drunk.

But that isn't true. It's an actual case against Leafsnail that he chooses to ignore, and what do you know? Leafsnail pulls out a holdout pistol once the main argument for lynching me collapses and the Town starts to turn against him. How can you not see this as an attempt by !ScumNirur Torir to defend his buddy?
It is true. It is WIFOM. "If we were scum we would have done this" is almost always WIFOM, and there's no need to put it into an attack against Leafsnail of all people. I suppose it wasn't exactly flipfloppy away from NJW, however.

In my response to him, I call this out and then point out how the argument about me faking Excalibur is it's own WIFOM, which is another way of stating the first paragraph of my big defense.
Or alternatively, having a kill which leaves an obvious calling card gets you something: Either a second night kill, one of which keeps getting blocked, some sort of power-up mechanic, or perhaps the chance of daykills which don't count as the daily mafia kill.
I'm not calling it a gambit. You're the one who keeps saying that it would have to be an insane gambit for you to be scum.

And rather than acknowledge that the main argument against me is shit, or give reasons for why it isn't shit, he just says that he's applying pressure.
The argument that I’m faking Excalibur is a WIFOM, yet you eagerly believe it, while dismissing my own points as WIFOM.
If I eagerly believed it I'd be voting you, instead of just applying pressure.

We're in a LYLO situation where quickhammers are possible. Am I seriously supposed to believe you'd place a second vote on me without waiting for a town consensus? Even scum would try to pretend to be town in this situation. I think you would know that.
I had you voted for all of 23 minutes today, early on, based on you trying to pull weird stuff at the very end of yesterday, and it was the first vote against you. If you're defending yourself with this, then it's a meaningless attack on everyone who has placed even a single vote today.

As for your pressure, it looks quite similar to dogpiling to me. Even a scum who is trying to push a lynch on a towney can be said to apply pressure to them. I see this response as nothing more than a way to brush aside concerns that the argument you're supporting is flawed.
I was on you before that, and you don't seem to understand your scumminess well enough to defend yourself.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 10, 2021, 07:31:42 pm »

Ugh.

Uh, no, FoU, you killed NQT, by redirecting heydude (away from Nirur Torir, unless heydude is anti-town) onto NQT.

Remember?

Maybe I'm focusing too hard on that event, but... yeesh.

I'm still not sure about the "heydude is scum" possibility. It's... mind-numbing. Incredibly worrying and, like, a question that could destroy any chance of victory if we get it wrong.

Heydude: did you ever claim a day action on Day 2? Also, you power gives you a lot of guns, some of which are usable during the day, presumably? I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this, but looking through I can't tell what you did D2... and your claim says 2 shots per phase, not per cycle.
I may have missed something. Let's see.
One wheel short of a wagon

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 10, 2021, 07:45:11 pm »

Uh, no, FoU, you killed NQT, by redirecting heydude (away from Nirur Torir, unless heydude is anti-town) onto NQT.
I didn't fire the gun, I only curved the bullet. The point I was trying to make is that he's rampantly performing kills all over the place - and I can't believe that a townie has that much killing potential, the ability to survive a kill, and secondary utility such as tracking and vote steal.

I'm still not sure about the "heydude is scum" possibility. It's... mind-numbing. Incredibly worrying and, like, a question that could destroy any chance of victory if we get it wrong.
It's incredibly rough. I mean, best-case scenario we lynch Leafsnail and then Godzilla comes down from the sky to smush heydude, but that's just a fantasy. Set aside 'scum' if you're using that as a term for the mafia, because there are good reasons he can't be mafia. It'd be too unbalanced. My argument is that it's incredibly likely he's an SK. So we're stuck in the middle between the SK and the remaining mafia. (I'm counting Leafsnail as already dead, it'd shock me if he comes out of this Day alive).
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 10, 2021, 09:57:25 pm »

There's more of that sole night-killer nonsense, which I always will see as ridiculous and they also called Tric Scum. Ultimately, it's not much for day 3
If the argument that you're the only one who's been killing at night is absurd, then please, point to where someone has died from someone other than you at night.

That's another strawman. I made my argument in my mega post and I'll gladly bring up the relevant excerpt again.

"please, point to where someone has died from someone other than you at night"

That's not how discussions work. I made my argument and now you have to refute what I say in it. What you're describing isn't the only way to defend against the idea of me being the sole nightkiller. You really don't want to acknowledge the idea that maybe the town successfully defended themselves against the mafia two nights in a row.

During the first night, the juiciest targets were the masons who protected themselves with a fast-hatter boosted hide action. Already it's plausbile that the scum wasted the kill on them and maybe even a fast-hatter badge too, though they weren't the only people with protects that night. The second night, Tric protected a lot of people. It's likely scum hit one of them.

What I'm proposing above is very reasonable, though unfortunate for the mafia.

Either way, I find it hard to beleive how you thought the response you gave would be adequate, and I find it harder to beleive how you thought that response would help town.
Spoiler: On Trick (click to show/hide)

The real bad stuff happens during this day though.

I make my big defense post which also comes with a case against Leafsnail. And all Nirur Torir does is quote an excerpt from it and say it's nothing, but WIFOM
I can't be bothered to read the entire wall, when what I do read is enough wine to get me drunk.

So you're admitting to not doing your best to help the town? During LYLO? Maybe you haven't realized this yet, but if you lynch the wrong guy we lose! Scum have a strong advantage here and will use every trick they can to make you lynch a townie! And you can't be even be bothered to fully read a post?! If I wasn't already convinced you were scum I'd be screaming at you in all caps!

The worst case scenario is that you overlook a good point being made by a townie and get him lynched. Another thing that happens is that it makes you look bad, which could get you lynched and also cost the town a victory if you're town.

This kind of half-assed posting is a blatant scum tell, and do you know which scum you remind me of Nirur? You remind me of Jim.

Spoiler: Jim Highlights! (click to show/hide)

I hope you can see the resemblance.

But that isn't true. It's an actual case against Leafsnail that he chooses to ignore, and what do you know? Leafsnail pulls out a holdout pistol once the main argument for lynching me collapses and the Town starts to turn against him. How can you not see this as an attempt by !ScumNirur Torir to defend his buddy?
It is true. It is WIFOM. "If we were scum we would have done this" is almost always WIFOM, and there's no need to put it into an attack against Leafsnail of all people. I suppose it wasn't exactly flipfloppy away from NJW, however.

Leafsnail of all people....

Leafsnail of all people.

Leafsnail is all but confirmed scum!

He's been gunning for me since day 3 with absurd arguments, he was on many people's scumlists, and he was the second person to follow-up on Fallacy's fake Excalibur idea. Of course I'd be suspicious of him! And my argument against him was not pure WIFOM, which you would have realized if you actually payed attention to it. I'll admit, the first sentence where I said that I would quickhammer !townLeafsnail could be considered WIFOM, though the only reason scum wouldn't do it is because they couldn't coordinate a hammer properly. But believe it or not, "X person is scum because otherwise they would have already been quickhammered" is considered to be a valid argument to make during LYLO in mafia. Like any good argument, it can be debated, but it is generally discussed rather than dismissed unlike the "Too Towny Fallacy"

And I wrote more than one sentence as well. If you read beyond it, you would know that my argument against Leafsnail is mainly one based off of probability. There are several possible scum teams. If NJW is scum, than Leafsnail is scum due to behavioral tells. If NJW is not scum, then the only possible scum team where Leafsnail isn't scum includes LuckyOwl and Fallacy of Urist. Due to their own behaviour, it's highly unlikely that they're both scum, so therefore Leafsnail is probably Scum.

It's not an ironclad case, but "probably scum" was good enough for what I needed this case to be. It was just something meant to kickstart a discussion, which people refused to participate in, though it's a lot stronger to me since I know that I'm town. And if you still want to call it shit, then tell me why Leafsnail gave up and all but confessed once Trickmagic started to pressure him? Trick was just one towny after all.

Also, you seem to be ignoring the fact that I nabbed our town a Scum.

In my response to him, I call this out and then point out how the argument about me faking Excalibur is it's own WIFOM, which is another way of stating the first paragraph of my big defense.
Or alternatively, having a kill which leaves an obvious calling card gets you something: Either a second night kill, one of which keeps getting blocked, some sort of power-up mechanic, or perhaps the chance of daykills which don't count as the daily mafia kill.

So now you're finally starting to make an argument for how I could be sole-night killer rather than putting the burden of proof on the wrong person. I wish you could have opened with that! So you're suggesting my kills operate on some sort of bounty system, like a CoD Killstreak reward?

Well, it's not impossible but I think I prefer Fallacy's take on the !scumme concept. His system is more elegant even if you're both wrong.

Regardless though, you have to explain why I used the fast-hatter badge to give Excalibur to Trick rather to than to guarantee another night-kill and secure victory for my team? Can you imagine if !scumme got us a nightkill and the Vector kill? Town would be screwed!

I'm not calling it a gambit. You're the one who keeps saying that it would have to be an insane gambit for you to be scum.

Leafsnail called my day 3 shenanigans a gambit, and Fallacy said I lied about Excalibur in the previous day just so I could lie about it giving it to Trick in this one.

Spoiler: Leafsnail (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fallacy of Urist (click to show/hide)

Fallacy's point was the main thing you were aruging for to be true in your attack against me. He may not have used the word gambit, but:
  • Pretend to use a nonexistant item in the previous day
  • Claim it was stolen from you and will be used against the town if they don't act quickly
  • Use this urgency to Convince town to rush a hammer against NJW2000
is still a gambit.

You should already know this! I can't believe your arguments have degenerated to "He didn't use those exact words!"

And rather than acknowledge that the main argument against me is shit, or give reasons for why it isn't shit, he just says that he's applying pressure.
The argument that I’m faking Excalibur is a WIFOM, yet you eagerly believe it, while dismissing my own points as WIFOM.
If I eagerly believed it I'd be voting you, instead of just applying pressure.

We're in a LYLO situation where quickhammers are possible. Am I seriously supposed to believe you'd place a second vote on me without waiting for a town consensus? Even scum would try to pretend to be town in this situation. I think you would know that.
I had you voted for all of 23 minutes today, early on, based on you trying to pull weird stuff at the very end of yesterday, and it was the first vote against you. If you're defending yourself with this, then it's a meaningless attack on everyone who has placed even a single vote today.

It's a good thing you quoted me. It makes it easier for me to pinpoint the the exact moment where you misrepresent the meaning of my statement. First of all, we still had 8 people alive when you placed your first vote and you took it off before Vector died. It took 5 people to hammer back then, so there needed to be at least 2 townie votes. It was bad, but it wasn't game ending.

Second, when there's 2 votes on someone, it only takes 2 scum to quickhammer which is easier to coordinate than making 3 scum quickhammer (though it's likely one of 2 pre-existing votes was scum to begin with).

What I am attacking is your idea that !townyou would have placed a vote and risked a quickhammer without considering the feelings of the rest of the town.

As for your pressure, it looks quite similar to dogpiling to me. Even a scum who is trying to push a lynch on a towney can be said to apply pressure to them. I see this response as nothing more than a way to brush aside concerns that the argument you're supporting is flawed.
I was on you before that, and you don't seem to understand your scumminess well enough to defend yourself.

Indeed, this is what you were on me for previously.
Spoiler: Previously on Day 4 (click to show/hide)

And you might have kept your dignity if you continued on that line of questioning, but you instead decided to attack my case on Leafsnail that you admit to not even properly reading.

I'm sorry I didn't answer your original question, I was too preoccupied with responding to Fallacy's Fake Excalibur accusation, and I eventually forgot about it. I'll answer it now though.
Spoiler: My Answer (click to show/hide)

Well, that was exhausting. It made me think of this:

Another reason why the group of 2 is more trustworthy is that in LYLO, it's unlikely for a townie to back-up a genuinely good point someone makes since there are so few town left to do so (and scum often tries to kill the most capable ones first). If you're lucky, you might get somebody saying "I agree", but it's very rare for you to see somone build on your argument. Scum have a much easier time supporting eachother's arguments.

Anway, I was too busy responding to Nirur's post to write something about Fallacy, but I think this was still useful to everyone.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 11, 2021, 04:43:06 am »

Heydude: did you ever claim a day action on Day 2? Also, you power gives you a lot of guns, some of which are usable during the day, presumably? I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this, but looking through I can't tell what you did D2... and your claim says 2 shots per phase, not per cycle.
I may have missed something. Let's see.
Heydude: I know you've been writing some quite large posts, but would be good to have an answer to this, if only a short one.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 11, 2021, 09:48:36 am »

During Day 2, I exchanged one of my starting guns for a new gun and got a choice between the Poxcannon and Phoenix. The exchange counts as an action btw and if you can’t tell, I can’t do it today since I spent both of my actions firing shots at Vector and Luckyowl.

Poxcannon was a 2-shot gun that could only be shot during day and did no damage, but inflicted the target with a status called pox. It removed 1 HP at the end of each phase until the target was reduced to 1 HP.

Phoenix was a 1-shot gun that could only be shot during the night. It dealt 1 damage to the person I shot and 1 damage to the person they targeted.

Phoenix was a shit gun, just like it is in Gungeon so I chose the Pox cannon.

My second action was to shoot Iceytea with the Poxcannon so I could easily finish him off the next day in case he turned out to be lying. I did this right before I hammered so he wouldn’t be able to announce being shot in the thread. Thankfully he was telling the truth so I didn’t need to waste another bullet.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 11, 2021, 09:52:15 am »

Of note, somewhere we had a killer who took out 4mask. All others died of HP Loss or Lynch. Did we ever have someone claim that kill?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 11, 2021, 04:41:11 pm »

Can I please get people's thoughts on the idea I brought up: that Heydude is an SK? Because he himself seems to be ignoring it entirely so far.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 11, 2021, 05:41:19 pm »

Webadict: Just to make absolutely sure, is the below still true? Do we know anything about the mafiakill - such as whether it deals HP damage?
Quote from: OP
Q. Does the Mafia have a kill they can use at Night?
A. Yes. It is called the Mafiakill. It is available to all members of the Mafia unless otherwise stated.

Can I please get people's thoughts on the idea I brought up: that Heydude is an SK? Because he himself seems to be ignoring it entirely so far.
This would entail either three blocks/protects at night or an entirely kill-less scum, just like the town!heydude hypothesis, wouldn't it. Adds in an SK who is remarkably brash and voluble about their killing power... lot of rather unlikely entities proposed to explain something there. I'd be much more likely to believe that he was just scum... scum with a lot of guns. Note that Jim Groovester also had the ability to create killing power - maybe scum in this game mostly kill with their roles?

A. Yes. It is called the Mafiakill. It is available to all members of the Mafia unless otherwise stated.

OP would suggest otherwise. Imagine a scumteam with a mafiakill, Heydude's guns, and Jim's potential death-dealing. Scary but possible.

Also, LuckyOwl said this:
I protected Heydude6. My protection only protects those who have the same alignment as me. When I protected Jim "nothing happened" but when I protected Heydude6 something actually happened. Also my night ability was stolen. So that's neat.
I don't think we have evidence that LuckyOwl was redirected. It seem strange that anyone, scum or town, would claim a cop result on an SK as town. I think the best play for both alignments would be to either scream "SK!" or keep silent.

I mean, LuckyOwl then said this:

Okay. Heydude6 is scum.

Heydude6 he just shot me and reduced my health to 1 hp.
So, you know, your guess is as good as mine there. Also, weird if there's a protect-rolecop ability out there. Weird. Stuff like this makes me suspect otherwise.

LuckyOwl: so considering the quotes above, do you think heydude is the same alignment as you, or scum? (Or both?)
If you think he's scum, any ideas on what happened during the night to make your protect go through?

Heydude: how do you feel about the below? Also, can you do a nightkill?

A dilemna:
If Leafsnail flips scum (and if he doesn't, we're pretty much screwed), should we get heydude to perform a nightkill if possible?
I'm on the fence. I like 4-2 (or 3-2 with a scumkill) better than 3-2 (or 2-2 with a scumkill), so it does make some difference if he hits town. On the other hand, if he hits scum, there's exactly 1 scum left in the game, which is a lot better than 2.

(Of course, I'm biased towards asking heydude to do a kill, as I'm pretty sure he won't target Tric and reasonably sure he won't target me, so 2/3 of his likely targets are scum. Of course, at least one of FoU, NT and LO don't know that I'm town, so they may feel differently)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 11, 2021, 05:51:33 pm »

I was going to address it in the post I was going to write about you. These things take a lot of time to make. Today was the first day of school for me so I was busy. Be patient.

I’ll get to you too NJW.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 11, 2021, 06:16:06 pm »

Webadict: Just to make absolutely sure, is the below still true? Do we know anything about the mafiakill - such as whether it deals HP damage?
The Mafiakill is different from Mafiakill abilities. Mafiakill abilities are abilities that replace the Mafiakill.

The Mafiakill is just a kill. Mafiakill abilities can do... pretty much anything? They could indeed reduce HP.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 11, 2021, 06:37:42 pm »

Well that is news to me. I didn’t know there were abilities that could replace the standard mafia-kill, though I knew the mafia kill takes up a night action.

Did Jim have any mafia-kill abilities? Would they have been revealed in his flip?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 11, 2021, 06:42:20 pm »

Well that is news to me. I didn’t know there were abilities that could replace the standard mafia-kill, though I knew the mafia kill takes up a night action.

Did Jim have any mafia-kill abilities? Would they have been revealed in his flip?
Example Mafiakill abilities are listed in the OP, and any Mafiakill abilities a player might have would show up with the Mafiakill tag. Jim Groovester did not reveal any Mafiakill abilities.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 11, 2021, 06:47:17 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
FallacyofUrist - 0 -
heydude6 - 0 -
Leafsnail - 3 - heydude6*, TricMagic*, TricMagic*,
Luckyowl - 0 -
Nirur Torir - 0 -
NJW2000 - 1 - Luckyowl*,
TricMagic - 0 -
No Lynch - 0 -

Not Voting - 3 - Nirur Torir, NJW2000, FallacyofUrist*,

4 to Hammer. Day ends on January 11, 2021 at 19:00 CST (1 hours and 13 minutes remaining.)
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 122