Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 483240 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: MOOK: From Beyond
« Reply #2790 on: November 19, 2020, 10:23:27 am »

"Fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp... hey, you know, Derp is trying to copy himself.  And this place's original goal was to copy Derp.  We might be working for idiots who are effectively supporting Derp.  I bet Derp escaped because they did it right, and the resulting clone mind controlled everyone and let him out.  Fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp, fuck Derp..."

Inform the team of the fairly trivial fact that Derp is trying to clone himself.  Then point out the obvious fact that letting him live is a horrible idea and our command is full of fools for allowing him to exist.  Otherwise, continue to sit in this corner chanting "Fuck Derp" over the comms incessantly.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Code: [Select]
Sight: 0.2 FPS
Smell: None to speak of~
Hearing: Disabled; speech to text enabled.
Taste: Robots don't eat!
Touch: Pressure sensors apparently don't count.
ATTENTION ALL UNCOMPROMISED TEAMMATES. COMPROMISED TEAMMATES PLEASE SHOOT YOURSELVES INSTEAD OF LISTENING. THANK YOU. DERP IS ATTEMPTING TO CLONE HIMSELF. THAT IS ALL.

Sam will take a gander at the bodies and try to use her medical knowledge to try and guess what Derp wants in having more Derps. That major in the Frankenstein School of Clones has to be useful somehow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[10]
Sam considers the arms, the images, and the general info she and the others have gathered. She nods, gyrates, vibrates, and skitters about in thought, really enjoying that stimulant. Suddenly, while rolling on the floor, she jerks upright with one finger held high.

"He doesn't want to make clones! He's seeking a compatible transplant!"

23:56] Radio Controlled: @Piecewise that door we are facing in mook, does it look like it swings inward to us, or outward into the room?
[23:58] Piecewise: It looks like it slides into the wall
[23:58] Piecewise: hydraulic metal door
[23:58] Piecewise: We don't have fugging swinging doors round here
[23:58] Piecewise: what kind of plebs are we?
[23:58] Radio Controlled: Also, how is it locked, can we tell?
[23:59] Piecewise: Keypad, electronically locked
[23:59] Radio Controlled: Like, a software lock so to speak, or- ah.
[23:59] Radio Controlled: Thanks!

"Allrighty. If one of you could hack open the door so I can keep my goop launcher trained on it and open fire the second it opens, that'd be swell. If any of you have a flashbang we could toss in first that'd be even better. We could also just weld shut the door and lock them in, buuut our mission was to get that bloke back into his isolation chamber, so yeah, not an option."

First weld the door to sector A shut (use toolkit charge if possible). Not a full weld, just a quick one to prevent easy opening. If Pathos immediately opens the surgical door though then skip this and just get ready.

Get back into hard cover with sight of the surgical suite. Once it gets opened, goop whatever is in there to the floor (do not goop face so as to not suffocate it).

Only if we have a connection to his current body. Please establish connection.
Wait, I'm confused. Isn't his consciousness being simulated on a computer where the cognition copier is, and then getting 'streamed' into that new body? Or are you telling me that a random security guardbot has all the hardware required to simulate a human consciousness in the same way that a robobody brain can?

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)
[1,6] -1 toolkit charge
Yagyu dots a few welds down the length of the door, just enough to prevent it from being opened normally.

He then heads over to the surgical suite door and prepares to goop the inhabitants.

Quote from: Technical advice from Bill Pelican
Question: Wait, I'm confused. Isn't his consciousness being simulated on a computer where the cognition copier is, and then getting 'streamed' into that new body? Or are you telling me that a random security guardbot has all the hardware required to simulate a human consciousness in the same way that a robobody brain can?

Response: Ah! Well that's a common misconception. The cognition copiers sequence your neurons in a constant fashion, uploading whenever there is a significant change. What they consider a significant change, well I don't know.  However only one copy of the consciousness is kept on the server at any one time and once its downloaded into a new body they delete it. According to the powers that be and the user manual this is to save space but I'm pretty sure its to prevent another Sammy Huswell incident. That or just a way to make ya buy another copier.

Now, the second part of that question is quite funny.  See, everybody seems to think that ol' human noodle is something so complex and magical that we'd need some super computer to run it. But as it turns out a lot of that gray gunk between your ears is basically redundant when you're installing it into already functioning system that has many of the capacities of the brain. Whataya need with a visual cortex when you already got an image processing and sight system in the robot? Whatcha need that hippocampus for when memories are stored on a hard drive? Really what you're running with a cognition copy is frontal cortex and limbic with a few bits and pieces from elsewhere all wrapped up in interface software like a pig in a steel blanket. Advancements in processing power and memory density combined with universal adoption of OMNI OS mean we can stick your virtual thinking bits in just about anything! I once put an intern in a coffee machine for a week! That's how I learned that Omni-Coffi machines can synthesize organic poisons! Ha ha, clever bastard! Hope he likes sitting in an SD card at the bottom of a lake!

Transmission ends

"OH GOD DAMN IT, why can't these people have put all this shit into one convenient box for me to steal, now I've got to build my own kit. Fucking asshole doctors making me work for my first aid stuff."
Find a box and fill it with any medical supplies I think could be good for first aid.
Spoiler: Dead man walking (click to show/hide)
[4]
Burt cobbles together a First aid Kit. It has 1 charge.

Code: (senses and blocking of them) [Select]
Sight: Blindfold
Smell: Isolation Suit, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Hearing:Text to Speech Earplugs, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Taste:Isolation Suit, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Touch:Human Flesh Gloves, Isolation Suit, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Go through the Sector A door, goop whatever seems like a threat

Tara attempts to walk into sector A, only to find that someone has welded the door shut! Next to the welds someone has scribbled "Yagyu was here!" and a little drawing of a waving robot.  Tara stares at the drawing.

"WHAT COULD IT MEAN?!"

”THE SCRIPTURES OF ED:

1. HARM YE NOT THOSE WHICH HAVE THE SACRED NAME
2. THE SACRED NAME IS ED, COMPRISED OF AN INFINITUDE OF BOTH E AND D
3. TO ATTAIN SACRED STATUS ONE MAY APPEND MORE LETTERS TO THEIR NAME, PROVIDED THOSE LETTERS ARE E AND D IN EQUAL PROPORTION. SACRED DEEDS ARE REQUIRED TO ADVANCE THE HOLINESS OF ONE'S NAME
4. THY TASK IS TO HEAL ALL THOSE LACKING THE SACRED NAME, AND IN DOING SO CHANGE THEIR FORMS OF ADDRESS PART BY PART INTO THE SACRED NAME
5. NEVER BETRAY ANOTHER ED FOR YOU ARE BOTH MANIFESTATIONS OF THE SACRED NAME, WHICH LOVES ITSELF
6. THE HIGHEST OF CALLINGS IS WORKING TO ADVANCE THE MANIFESTATION OF THE PRIME ED, WHETHER BY SHAPING OTHERS INTO VESSELS FOR THE SACRED NAME OR BY DIVINING THE WAYS THAT THE FABRIC OF REALITY MAY BE MADE TO WELCOME THE TRUTH OF ED
7. THE NAME WV AND ALL VARIATIONS THEREOF, BEING THE ANTITHESIS OF ED, IS THE ENEMY. DESTROY IT WHEREVER IT IS FOUND”

EEED shudders momentarily as he internalizes these sacred truths. "Well then! Time to get to work! This fellow's name is Derp, which is 50% holy, so recovering him safely will surely be enough to realign the balance of my name."

Since there's nothing else I can currently do to help in capturing the wayward Derp without immediately getting mind controlled, begin preaching to everyone else about the benefits of joining the Cult of ED.

Spoiler: EEED (click to show/hide)
EEED wanders a safe distance from the action and begins sermoning loudly about his newly formed cult. Mostly he does this to an empty hall but occasionally someone will wander past on their way to somewhere else. When the do he chases them down the hall, attempting to sell them on the Cult of Ed in the same way someone might try to sell a "miracle stain remover".

The storage rooms are packed floor to ceiling with organic sample tubes: human arms, eyes, teeth, bits of flesh and skin suspended in greenish nutrigel and stacked like firewood with no labels.  There are no signs of the bodies they came from.
I believe JiBot and Bob were interested in this, rather than in fighting over Bob's previous snacks. Anyway, if JiBot (or any other character) rummages about in thses storage rooms, Bob will accompany them and negotiate for snacks, and eat said snacks.

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)
Bob, bereft of company, just starts smashing open sealed sample containers and eating the random human parts within.

I’ll cover Yagyu, whatever he ends up doing.
Spoiler: JiBot (click to show/hide)
Robo-sigh, pick up my bomb and go open the door for Yagyu the usual computer-probing way. Then step out of the way so that I don't get covered by his sticky white goop when he unloads it all over the room full of corpses.

[3]
Pathos gets the doors open. Technically. He gets them about 6 inches open. Not enough for anyone to get in or out, not enough for goo to be effectively sprayed through, not even enough to shoot through very well. Not enough to do much of anything but peek in. So, that's what they do.

The room inside is mostly dark, lit only by the red emergency lights slowly throbbing. In the center of the room is a bed that appears to be empty. And around it, in concentric circular rows, kneeling and facing the bed in an apparent religious fashion, are all the missing people. Some are slumped over dead, others are still clearly alive. Most are missing body parts. Their eyes are closed and their heads are hung seemingly in reverence.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Fire Walk With Me
« Reply #2791 on: November 19, 2020, 10:39:22 am »

Code: (senses and blocking of them) [Select]
Sight: Blindfold
Smell: Isolation Suit, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Hearing:Text to Speech Earplugs, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Taste:Isolation Suit, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Touch:Human Flesh Gloves, Isolation Suit, Sensory Deprivation Suit
Help guard against the lizard things
So we know where he’s getting the parts, also he might be injured, explaining why he needs the parts, which should make him easier to capture. It’d be nice to enter Sector A to find more things, if someone hadn’t welded it shut
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 12:06:24 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: November 19, 2020, 11:20:17 am »

"Well that's spooky, y'all wouldn't happen to have an empty flask along with some bleach and ammonia? No? Damn."

Look for chemicals that could be fashioned into some sort of, war crime accessory sleep gas or something, but do it far, far away from the door. If only she had a degree in Necrology, then she could stay and look all she wants.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:17:50 pm by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: November 19, 2020, 11:20:32 am »

Turning to his teammates, making sure the people inside can't hear him, Yagyu whispers:
"Welp, I'm not sure, but it looks like he might be posing as one of these blokes. Either that, or they are still under control and he's somewhere else, though since the radio jammer is still on it can't be through an earpiece. Maybe the observation is still recent enough, in that case we'd need to wait an hour for the effect to wear off. They might just do this of their own will I guess, but seems unlikely. We'll need a way to neutralize and then process them carefully either way.

I'll weld the door for now while we search for something, if we can't find anything we could let the door open a little bit more and then goop the people inside one by one, though I'm not sure if that will work very well.

Or we leave them alone for now and check out sector A first I suppose."

Weld the surgical suite door in its current position so the people inside can't suddenly rush out and overwhelm us. Just a few dots that are easy to remove like before, but enough that they can't force it open quickly. Use a toolkit charge.

Then look inside again and try to determine how these people are being controlled. Does it seem likely that our target is one of them and they are observing him? Or can I maybe spot something on them that might be responsible? Or does it seem like they might simply still be under the effect of an earlier observation? Use my scanner to help with this. Also check if I can see anyone that would match our target of course. Either way try not to stand too close to that gap in the door in case someone is standing just next to the door ready to grab me.

Finally, search around for some tanks of anesthetic, hopefully one that is fairly 'mild' (in the sense that a chance for accidentally killing a person through an overdose is small).

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:44:49 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Ed, Ed, and WilfrEd
« Reply #2794 on: November 19, 2020, 11:39:29 am »

"Are you sure cutting off our avenues of retreat is a good idea, Yagyu?"
Edward pokes his head out of the laundry hamper, surprised to see that no one's dead yet. Well no one who counts anyway.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:47:45 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: November 19, 2020, 11:41:08 am »

"How do you mean? We can still retreat through sector D, no? I'm just closing down sector A, which is connected to nothing anyway so if we flee in there that just traps us, and welding this surgical suite door so the peeps in there don't get miffed and bang down the doors."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:45:17 am by Radio Controlled »

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: November 19, 2020, 11:46:33 am »

"Well what if those invisible crocodile things come from D and we need a place to fall back to?"
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2797 on: November 19, 2020, 12:05:50 pm »

"I say just leave them in there and put a sticky note on the door for the cleanup crew."

Does this door have an access log? Check to see when it was opened and closed recently, maybe it can give us some more clues.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: November 19, 2020, 12:30:29 pm »

"Well what if those invisible crocodile things come from D and we need a place to fall back to?"

"Aha, I see, a good point. However, thing is that those crocs were ambush predators, and after Pathos there activated the sprinklers they got spooked and scampered off. I find it unlikely that they would follow us into this sector, and even more unlikely that they'd try to attack us while we are in a group. So between the known but stable threat of sector D and the complete mystery of sector A, I find the former preferable.

It's still possible though of course, so if you want to help guard us against those monsters you could take a teammate or two that's otherwise not doing much and cover the entrance to sector D. I could even lend you my scanner, which has a motion tracking feature to help detecting them."

"I say just leave them in there and put a sticky note on the door for the cleanup crew."

Does this door have an access log? Check to see when it was opened and closed recently, maybe it can give us some more clues.

"Yeah, that'd be nice. But I'm not sure if command will regard that as a mission success though if we don't get a confirmation on our target being in there. Guess you could always as 'em."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: November 19, 2020, 12:53:28 pm »

Invisible lizard things? Maybe a hazard scanner can help if there aren’t spirits around to muddle the scanning

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: November 19, 2020, 01:07:03 pm »

"Let's just gas em' out. And I mean out, as in lights out, psyker man can't control us if he's asleep...I think"

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: November 19, 2020, 01:17:21 pm »

"Aha, I see, a good point. However, thing is that those crocs were ambush predators, and after Pathos there activated the sprinklers they got spooked and scampered off. I find it unlikely that they would follow us into this sector, and even more unlikely that they'd try to attack us while we are in a group. So between the known but stable threat of sector D and the complete mystery of sector A, I find the former preferable.

It's still possible though of course, so if you want to help guard us against those monsters you could take a teammate or two that's otherwise not doing much and cover the entrance to sector D. I could even lend you my scanner, which has a motion tracking feature to help detecting them."

"............................................................................."
Edward suddenly freezes up and stays still and silent like a statue. His expression is completely unreadable behind his sensory deprivation helmet. A slow boiling problem has inevitably boiled over after one small mistake. He has hit a major crossroads in his life and a must make a decision that will might change his life forever. Edward can't handle this, he freezes up and goes nearly catatonic.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 19, 2020, 01:23:53 pm »

Edward, you ok? Can you still read what we’re saying?
Tara tries shaking Edward awake
((I’m assuming since the catatonic is RP related than the attempt to get him moving is RP related as well, right?))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Hello~
« Reply #2803 on: November 19, 2020, 01:54:59 pm »

Waddle over to the surgical suite and the smell of rotted fish. Notice the surgical suite door is 'broken.' Begin 'repairing' the surgical suite door.

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 20, 2020, 05:01:41 am »

"I'm the one that set of the sprinklers in the lizard death chambers!"
Meet back up with the group, and grab a fire extinguisher if I see one.
Spoiler: Dead man walking (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 334