Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 52

Author Topic: Pantheon IV OOC-Thread, Sign-Ups (always more players welcome)  (Read 34768 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon IV OOC-Thread, Sign-Ups and General Interest Check
« Reply #525 on: September 18, 2017, 10:31:44 pm »

Furthermore, while you can say that the draw means everyone lost, the truth is really the other way around: both Lu and Phal would be getting worship from the Acterians - what both wanted out of the Gambit - while, as per Acter's desires, the gods would be leaving the Acterians alone going forward. Everyone got what they wanted.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 18, 2017, 11:24:18 pm »

Even-furthermore,

Now let me explain a few things here as to why some gods could penetrate through to him and others could not. First of all Acter never spoke to him while he was imprisoned.
Secondly Lu's servant can speak to him because Lu>Phalanalin>Ralkiesis>Acter.

In short, Phalanalins power simply outpowers Varalin, he is stronger period. The power of Lu again too outpowers Varalin. Unless they allow or want you to interfere with him, you cannot get into his head while he is under the influence of either.

If this is the case, no one should have been able to influence Kol because at the time Lu>everyone. The outside help (influence) should never have been able to get to Kol, even if Phalanin was the culprit because Lu>Phalanalin. (Sidenote, if someone was influencing him I should have been made aware, he's still my piece and just because he's chained doesn't mean I wouldn't get that info).

Even even furthermore: The gambit could not have ended this way. If someone did manage to get around the rules, it would have disastrous effects for that person because of my wording here on the final agreement of the terms:

I agree with the spirit of these agreements yes. [/color]

An attempt to go around the rules and cheat the agreement would have violated the spirit of the agreement. This would mean that, for Lu, the agreement wouldn't kick in. The deal would be off/ never get started. He agreed to the spirit of the agreement, and thus wouldn't be beholden to it if someone was going around the rules before the gambit could end and the agreement kicks in (like if someone was influencing Kol, even if that influence was technically allowable under the agreement). In otherwords, Lu is still in the gambit.

Edit: If I have the chronology right: We made the agreement, someone managed to go around the wording (but violated the spirit of the agreement), Kol gained his powers, the gambits ended (those last two can be switched without affecting my point here). Lu would have been released from the agreement before the gambit ended and before Kol gained his powers when someone violated the spirit of the agreement. During that period, Lu would be the only one remaining in the gambit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:38:15 am by Roboson »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 19, 2017, 01:12:28 am »

*Looks at OOC*
*Looks at IC*
*Chortles in pseudo-Greek*

Secrets action do do a lot to fuck people over, ya know?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 19, 2017, 05:47:22 am »

Okay. So. This is bullshit.

I think that I might be the person Ghaz is referring to breaking the agreement on purpose (surprise, Phalanalin was not negotiating in 100% good faith). HOWEVER, I SPECIFICALLY stated that my actions would take place BEFORE the agreement was made- in fact, I specifically mentioned that I expected the agreement to prevent further meddling (and thus prevent the rest of you from undoing the results of my actions)
In fact, fuck it, here's the PM in question:
Right, so, the gambit may be ending, but Phalanalin wouldn't be Phalanalin if she didn't try to break the spirit of the law whilst obeying the letter.
As such,

I order the Emissary of Truth to disclose the following truths to as many Acterians as it can: "Phalanalin has commanded [Acter] to bring [Lu] to negotiate, and [Lu] has heeded the call", "[Lu] considers the lives of Acterians to be insignificant", "Phalanalin has convinced [Lu, Acter, and Varalin] to cease sending their minions to interfere with the Acterians".

(The gist of the messages being that Phalanalin calls the shots amongst the other gods, that Lu is a dick, and that Phalanalin is the one looking out for them.)
(I'm doing this before we reach an agreement that would prevent me from taking actions to mess with the worship of the other gods- an agreement that should prevent them from undoing the results of my actions)
(I put the names of the other gods in [] to indicate that the Emissary should use whatever name the Acterians will recognise)
So if this is indeed the agreement-breaking Ghaz refers to, that is, as mentioned, bullshit.

It being impossible to draw is bullshit. We had no reason to believe it would not be possible, and I feel we should've been told it wasn't before being fucked over like this.

Kol being omniscient is bullshit. I'll grant you him becoming an avatar of the Acterian's diviniphobia and getting god-like powers, but powers greater than the gods have? Bullshit.

This whole shebang is railroady-AF.

No offense, Ghaz, but someone did dun goofed here, and it wasn't any of the players.

EDIT: Also, Phalanalin is female. Why do people keep getting that wrong?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:50:24 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 19, 2017, 06:48:14 am »

Right, so, the gambit may be ending, but Phalanalin wouldn't be Phalanalin if she didn't try to break the spirit of the law whilst obeying the letter.
As such,

I order the Emissary of Truth to disclose the following truths to as many Acterians as it can: "Phalanalin has commanded [Acter] to bring [Lu] to negotiate, and [Lu] has heeded the call", "[Lu] considers the lives of Acterians to be insignificant", "Phalanalin has convinced [Lu, Acter, and Varalin] to cease sending their minions to interfere with the Acterians".

(The gist of the messages being that Phalanalin calls the shots amongst the other gods, that Lu is a dick, and that Phalanalin is the one looking out for them.)
(I'm doing this before we reach an agreement that would prevent me from taking actions to mess with the worship of the other gods- an agreement that should prevent them from undoing the results of my actions)
(I put the names of the other gods in [] to indicate that the Emissary should use whatever name the Acterians will recognise)
First off, bolded and redded the applicable section.
Second off, I was the one trying to get the two of you to leave the Acterians alone, though I suspect I shouldn't be expecting anything else from the self-professed patron of liars.
Third, the Acterians didn't even know I was doing anything, so thanks for letting them know that I care, rather than having just went off to other things after making them.

EDIT: Also, Phalanalin is female. Why do people keep getting that wrong?
Default assumption for just about everything on the internet is male, and this is why I just refer to you as Phal most of the time.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 19, 2017, 07:01:48 am »

try to break the spirit of the law whilst obeying the letter.
As such

I agree with the spirit of these agreements yes.

Lu agreed to the spirit, there was never a spirit to the agreement. Lu wouldn't have had to leave the gambit, as this breaking of the spirit of the agreement occurred before the end of the gambit. Hell it was broken before the agreement could be ratified. However, the players who agreed to the letter of the law would still have to withdraw, if the agreement still takes effect.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 19, 2017, 07:12:29 am »

...so, Lu agreed with the spirit of the agreement, Phal was breaking the spirit before anything could happen, Acter...
Thank you. I see nothing else that needs to change, given that.
...said that after the change he asked for was made, he saw nothing that needed to change, but never actually agreed to the pact, and Varalin...
Varalin quietly gives an approving nod.
...was the only one that did something that could be agreement to the pact itself, and as we've discussed, they shouldn't even have been able to get involved in the first place.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:18 am »

:/
You can't seriously claim that none of you actually agreed with the agreement. You clearly all gave your assent.

You can't break an agreement before it is made. I mean, if you could, Lu would've broken the agreement first, by deploying his Knight, violating the no-High-Profile-cards clause. So no, you can't claim Phalanalin broke the agreement, in letter or spirit. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still a dick move, and she was certainly not negotiating in good faith.
Long Live United Forenia!

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 19, 2017, 07:47:14 am »

@Nuke

*sighs* Your argument here would be sound except for one thing. You didn't take into account how the Emissary of Truth would take this entire thing and his very nature. I have mentioned at the very beginning that Unbound Cards will have their own Agendas and act independently unless influenced by players. They are just like you to some degree involved in the gambits.

Quite simply the Emissary of Truths job is to reveal the truth, to give powerful secrets and arcane powers.  You forced it into twisting the truth to a certain degree, the fact alone that you commanded it to do something, alone is enough. But there was the mistake:
disclose the following truths to as many Acterians as it can

That includes allowing it to speak to Kol. And boy did it abuse that privilege. It did fulfill your job and continued right on telling him a whole lot of other things as well...why? Think about it, The first, the second and the house of Acter are involved in this, by telling Kol all kinds of stuff and granting him vision of the godsmoot, it weakened all your combined positions while strengthening those of its own House AND also fulfilling its purpose by showing/telling the truth.

Kol is not omniscient that "bullshit" is what you folks came up with. I never said he was omniscient nor did i give him the power to. He was given a chance to watch the Godsmoot by the Emissary of truth.

It being impossible to draw is bullshit. We had no reason to believe it would not be possible, and I feel we should've been told it wasn't before being fucked over like this.
The Declaration of Draw as it has been mentioned in at least two or three posts above is completely irrelevant by this point. As mentioned before there is only four ways out of a gambit, winning, losing (and conceding), dying or playing salvation. Declaring draw= conceding, especially with Lifeslayer coming in measuring up your goals and basically declaring you all the losers of the gambit.

@Madman:

hoo boy. The breaking of any oaths and the draw are MINOR ACTIONS this has been mentioned before so often i dont even want to anymore. Their impact on the entire thing is so miniscule that i wonder why we are constantly discussing them. The Major contributing factor why you all got fucked over is escalation and deploying of Lifeslayer.
By using actions where she could not Varalin caused her house to be disqualified from the Gambit and losing and by removing the Acterians from divine influence all houses involved together lost. Because they no longer can gain the worship of the Acterians for the duration of Kols adversity/existence. But more than that by agreeing upon your Oaths, you moved the unified goalposts of the Acterian Gambit for all of you from "achieving sole worship/achieving worship of the Acterians and protecting them" to "maintain teh Status Quo, the Status Quo was not maintained since all your faiths have been locked out, you have been deprived of all influence and the Gambit forcibly closed up by Kol.

Armiles not finding Kol was merely the matter of a Turn, she was not unable to as has ALSO been mentioned repeatedly but nearly took longer than a turn. Which is a decisive difference. There is literally everyone down to the Herald level who could have freed him eventually.

And as mentioned before Kol was accessible by grace of Nuke. Only he did not know that he was fucked over by the Emissary.

Now this being said, your half-dead mortal got the Lifestealer power, not by grace of you, not by grace of Lu or any other God. There is a reason Lifestealer cannot be killed, he is beyond the Divine Hierarchy, he is a mortal giving powers of devastation beyond the control of even the Gods, thats why its extreme escalation beyond even deploying a god, he can only be influenced and imprisoned, killing him at the current state is impossible.

The powers ripped from you were not Kols actions game-mechanically, that is something i did merely for IC-Flavour. The diminishing of your powers happened because all of you lost the various gambits.

I feel like repeating myself but to put it differently: the concep tof escalation in this gambit always causes a measured response. By the use of THREE ACTS into the gambit you increased the escalation level a thousandfold, that leaves only three options open as to how things could escalate further: either all King and Consort cards would be played and the gods would find themselves immediately in a personal confrontation..which made absolutely no sense or the Apocalyptic or Lifestealer would be played. Flip of the Coin it was Lifestealer.

However while Varalins actions was OOCly permissible it was illegal/considered cheating in terms of the Gambit, as such the response was the disqualification of the House of Acter from the Gambit, causing them to lose it.
The other two Houses lost by virtue of Lifestealer.
Losing the Gambit, a gambit which had progressed so far, would have inevitably caused the loser to lose inffluence and thus status among the Houses. In this case everyone lost and Lifestealer won. causing massive diminishment of your houses. Since Lifestealer cannot own the divine power released as such by winning, it was distributed amongst the other Houses. Which merely automatically rose as the others fell, otherwise the House of Torment would stand above the House of Might and Twisting Shadows as well.

((seriously what is it with you people the moment i try to answer, i get ninjaed...this time four posts...:P))

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 19, 2017, 07:59:42 am »

The only real nitpick I have is with Varalin not being told that she was breaking the rules of a gambit because as far as I know, gambits are a game mechanism rather than *just* an in-game method of conflict resolution. If gambits were just the latter, fine but since they're the only real way of settling a conflict (well, directly), then it's a bit iffy.

EDIT: and this is coming from someone who would massively benefit from this sequence of events. Like, fuuuuk. I can basically open a gambit to eat everyone right now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:07:06 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:34 am »

The relevant action has been retconned out of existence by now, but Abstract has been told before that such actions would be invalid and would have major repercussions. If you scan the OOC closely you might find parts of the discussion.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 19, 2017, 08:19:53 am »

Since when did I allow random low-profile cards glimpses into the blasted Hall of the Gods?

Again: SEPARATE from reality. This isn't a "Oh it's there in space somewhere like a mini-Death Star", no, it's separated from reality, in fact with the intention of preventing the Gods' collective wrath and idiocy from damaging things outside of it. No way should this random emissary of truth get to give a MORTAL a glimpse into my domain.

Furthermore, he's chained up so deep that a glowing Knight made of sun-metal can't find him. NUKE didn't specifically give directions nor an invitation to go visit the prisoner in the dark, so letting this emissary do so is just blatantly skewing his actions.

I don't think that any of Varalin's actions, especially not the cave-sealing, qualify as Act-based escalation.

She wasn't interfering with the worship of other gods, and almost wasn't interfering with worship at all.

I've just looked through all three of her acts, and none is as invasive as the Emissary of Truth being created in the caves. That Emissary actually WOULD'VE been directly swaying worship, yet ATH's much more passive actions (Although the gift of passion is, well, dangerous) somehow inflated the gambit to Lifestealer proportions?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 19, 2017, 08:22:24 am »

wat, was retconned?

All three of my acts are pretty tame overall. My third act is more a general increase of the tears in general then just affecting the acterians for example. My second is giving them a gift. My first is not touching any of them and making a wall.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 19, 2017, 08:45:22 am »

The relevant action has been retconned out of existence by now, but Abstract has been told before that such actions would be invalid and would have major repercussions. If you scan the OOC closely you might find parts of the discussion.

And the invalid action was still processed? I like exploiting unintended consequences and all, but the escalation was flagrantly against the rules and shouldn't have been processed at all.

Also now that I'v read the other complaints, it is a biiit odd that the Emissary was able to look at Not-Olympus but then again, the Great Act used to create doesn't state that mortals/other entities can't look at it. This is GM dickery (or creativeness :p) that I can enjoy. I actually like how legalistic you have to be when phrasing actions, which is why I find the flagrant rule-breaking being allowed as a mistake. A very big mistake with many many many consequences that should not have been allowed.

wat, was retconned?

All three of my acts are pretty tame overall. My third act is more a general increase of the tears in general then just affecting the acterians for example. My second is giving them a gift. My first is not touching any of them and making a wall.

You have to recall that Acts are ludicrously powerful from the perspective of a mortal. If they were Minor Acts then I think they would be fine.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:47:48 am by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 19, 2017, 08:49:18 am »

Essentially, the issue is that in order to get to the current position, something that wasn't allowed had to have gone through.

EDIT: Has anyone even recieved a Minor Act? How would we even get one?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 52