Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52

Author Topic: Pantheon IV OOC-Thread, Sign-Ups (always more players welcome)  (Read 34688 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

IC-Thread

Hello Folks, yep i decided to return Pantheon for the fourth time now. The last two didn't turn out to last overly long, so i've returned to mulling over mechanics which i think should work out better now. For the Veterans among you, this will be vastly different from the previous Pantheons and will return in focus to gods and more importantly Pantheons as such.

But first for the Newcomers:

What is Pantheon?

Pantheon is a Godgame. Originally a genre of forumgames made by Megacaesar with Godhood I, there have been many offshoots of that. One among them is the Pantheon series which is more centered on the struggle between gods than the sheer creation of universes.

In any case a Godgame is a game in which, suprise, you play a god. In general all of them have something called Acts. An act represents the divine power of a god which he can bend to whatever purpose he or she deems necessary. Creating Worlds, Artifacts, species or vanquishing them, are all things contained within an act.

Now here comes the part which will make this one vastly different from those before:

What has changed?

An ailing sickness of all Godgames is the problem of struggles between Gods. Simply said which god wins if both are basically omnipotent and omniscient? There have been many approaches to this and none ever struck me as really satisfying.

After recently beginning to reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series again (in which struggles between gods feature prominently) i remembered that i once had run mechanics for an entirely different sort of Godgame: Prod and Pull. Now Prod and Pull had been merely a Testgame and had some major kinks which i think i worked out.

But anyway to the meat of the matter:
Gods still get their acts, you still can use them to create Planets and universe and a myriad of other things. But they can no longer be used for war or struggles. Instead we use the System from Prod and Pull!

So how does it work? Lets assume that Udil Godslayers Dwarves decide that it is time to wage war on the Molerat people of Quoth the God of Pestilence. Now in usual Godgames both gods would start popping in and throw around their weight and acts and the mortals would become completely annihilated or basically sidelined in these struggles. Most importantly those God struggles usually left apocalyptic wastelands behind...

The problem was that everyone was constantly escalating and using the biggest hammer, because why not? That also lead to people saving up acts isntead of using them because they were the main resource with which to wage war.

Entrance right the Mad Ophelia Deck of Dragons.

In this universe there exists an unknown primeval force, an Overgod or Pantokrator which so far has kept himself hidden from the unvierse and the Gods at large. The moment a Divine being enters this universe he becomes part of the Deck of Dragons and he is asigned to a house.

Like a Pantheon, the Gods within a House now work together. As it stands however, only ever two Gods can exist in one House. The King/Queen and his or her consort.

Below is an indepth explanation of hwo the Deck of Dragons system works, don't worry you don't need to know it by heart, it seems fairly complex but its actually pretty straightforward. I have just posted this here so you can get an idea of how it works and what does what, basically as a reference work.

Consorts, Unbound and Switching Houses

So what about the Consort players? It is mostly a position i had foreseen for players who do not want to deal with all that strategizing and card mongering and want to concentrate more on creating stuff, roleplaying and basically just showing up in Gambit and blowing stuff up.

But the Consorts have other interesting things going on. Once their House is destroyed they can enter a gambit to get themselves a throne. However, they will get only one card per turn, none of the three starting ones and they won't have control of the cards of their former House. More than that they won't get any more acts until they are part of a House again...or ruling over one. This makes playing a Consort more of an underdog game as you need to play a more subtle game instead of throwing cards around.

Beyond that Consorts can always simply leave a House, as can the Ruler, abandoning their throne and becoming Unbound. Being unbound has no advantages at all and you won't recieve any acts beyond the ones you have stored. Meaning you really are out in the rain. While this might seem like a disadvantegous place, it might also mean a rather interesting playing position, as you have to be far more careful when and how to use resources.

Signing-Up

Spoiler:  Sign-Up Sheet (click to show/hide)

As always its NOT first come first serve. Quality counts. If you have questions feel free to ask.
I hope i have not forgotten anything important, sometime things go under, so yeah ask if something is unclear or seems to be missing.
Oh yes no more than five initial rulers please otherwise we will see nothing but endless gambits instead of advancing through turns.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:33:17 pm by Ghazkull »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon IV OOC-Thread, Sign-Ups and General Interest Check
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:43 am »

Name of Your God: Lu
Starting Position: Ruler
Sphere: Strength
House: First
Description of your God: Lu is the natural embodiment of strength, of power, and of struggle. He is the raging storm, the shaking earthquake, and sudden flood, and the erupting volcano. Lu is the struggle to survive, he is the hunt, and the struggle to kill or escape. He is the soldier in war, he is the power of will, he is all which is strong and also all that uses strength to overcome adversity.
Spoiler: Looks Like (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 10:43:37 am »

Name of Your God: Acter
Starting Position: Ruler
Sphere: Science and Improvement
House: Younger
Description of your God: Acter has never been one to impose himself upon others. Rather, he enjoys showing reality's wonders to people, and how to make those wonders their own. He does not desire worship, only appreciation. He needs not blind followers, but people who can think rationally and who will use their minds to their fullest potential. Acter's champions are not armed with magic swords and great strength; they are normal men and women armed with their wits and an eye for what should be rather than what is. Those smiths that follow him make and use the strongest alloys mortal man can create, his warriors are swift in foot and mind and hold a penchant for protection, and those who rule in his name do so with the intent to make their lands the most prosperous in the worlds.
Spoiler: Appearance (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:28:10 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 04:20:23 am »

Roboson is fine, Glass is also fine although you can't start as an Emergent. I accept Younger House although that will mean that you will only come in with the second turn.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 06:37:15 am »

Alright, it's edited now.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:01:06 am »

...okay, I think I understand, vaguely, the rules. I assume things will become clearer in time. Though I should say, the rules are a bit intimidating. You might want to put a TL;DR above them, or something.

Anyway. I see you need someone to rule the second house. First house is led by the god of strength? I guess that'd make me the god of... intellect?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that enough?
Long Live United Forenia!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 08:06:45 am »

Ima be doing my best to stay out of any and all conflicts that occur, just in case any of you were wondering.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:49:11 am »

This looks interesting. I'm not sure I quite get the deck system but I'm sure the rules will make sense after I see them in motion.
Spoiler: character (click to show/hide)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 05:54:08 am »

Well then still waiting for a few more players, Nuke you are in, your character is fine.

And you are probably right, i should do a tl,dr somewhere...

Jerick, character seems fine, although i am rather leery towards gods of madness, most of the time the people playing them get bored pretty quickly and then drop out or just play them as mad capering idiots, anyway your character seems otherwise fine, i like the eldritch "stare into the abyss and the abyss stares into you"-theme so you are in.

That brings us up to four players and thus four houses. A fifth House in the mix would be nice as well as some consorts.Mind the consort doesn't need to be romantically involved at all with the other god in the house, its just a position.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:47:30 am »

Why hello there Uncle Sheo!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:06:10 am »

Hmm, hmm.
First House: Led by god of Strength. No consort.
Second House: Led by god of Wisdom. No consort.

Elder House 1: Led by god of Madness/Truth. No consort.

Younger House 1: Led by god of Science/Improvement. No consort.
I think we could use some gods less related to the mind and its workings. Between Phalanalin, Acter, and Ralkieis, mortal minds will be overflowing with divine 'inspiration'.
Actually, looking at it... Glass: is leading a house important to your god? Cos it seems to me like they'd work as a consort to Ralkieis. If you want to, I mean.

The second house (can we rename our house? Second House is so nondescript) could use a god of the dead, perhaps. Not of violent death- that's more the first house's repertoire. More one who handles the afterlife, sort of thing.

Or someone could join as an elder house with a physical theme, perhaps? Can't go wrong with a god of earth or something, right?
Alternatively, we could go with the theme of all the elder houses being involved with more abstract concepts, and let the younger houses deal with the more physical aspects of the world. I can't think of a suitable sphere for that, but maybe inspiration will strike someone? 

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:22:39 am »

I'd rather not be a consort to the god of madness, thank you. Quite frankly, I'm not terribly interested in being a part of a house that's not Younger or Emergent.

Also, Acter is more about the products of science than science itself. He won't be driving "inspiration" into the heads of mortals, but rather be the one that shows them that there are ever greater heights to aspire to. He inspires people in the mundane sense: people see what he has done and can do, and he shows them that they too can accomplish such things. He's always ahead of them, but never so far as to be an unattainable height, the way the other gods are.

...did I explain that clearly? I'm not sure I did.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 09:32:47 am »

Fair enough. I was looking at the Truth side, but I can see how the Madness side would be off-putting.

As for the science/inspiration thing... well, I'm curious to see how it plays out. I can't really picture it working, but if you've got a plan, then fair enough.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 09:34:18 am »

*shrug*

I have no intention of going up against the other players. I'd prefer to just play around with the setting.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 10:06:34 am »

PTW. Might post a god if I have some inspiration.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 52