Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159804 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #885 on: July 27, 2017, 08:51:15 pm »

(Draignean, power wise, where is it in comparison to one of our normal aether cannons?)

100%
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 27, 2017, 09:07:59 pm »

We definitely need to fix that bug. The heat. Either we need to lower the power, or... something else. I dunno.
Also we should consider creating/revising a new version of the cutlasses that employs a steel spine and a better tempered edge. (Read here.)
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:08 pm »

Wooden gun shield like a WWI/WWII howitzer.

Also, we should consider a revision that loses firepower in exchange for fire rate. That would allow us to protect our soldiers and have two versions, one for heavy blasting and one for faster-firing stuff.

Excellent flak guns, in other words.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 27, 2017, 09:25:09 pm »

Wooden gun shield like a WWI/WWII howitzer.
It doesn't take as much heat to set wood on fire as it does to melt copper.... We are asking it to block a wave of intense heat after all. Although it might become viable after we drop the firepower down a bit.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 27, 2017, 09:29:00 pm »

Flak won't bust shroud. Faster but weaker would be better vs infantry, but much worse vs anything that mounts a shroud.

That said, AA guns just need to be able to hold off landings, not proper warships.

For the heat issue: Forced air cooling using a barrel shroud that pulls air though itself using the cannon muzzle blast. Basically a giant version of what the Pecheneg LMG (AKA the PKP) uses. It wont fix the problem, but it will help a lot by forcing the heat downrange.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 27, 2017, 11:46:46 pm »

Alright, good, any other suggestions for heat management for the PLACE? And let's get some write-ups going! Come on people, Kasgyr is approaching 50% of our thread's length! And we can't allow that, now can we?

Glory to United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 27, 2017, 11:54:54 pm »

Cannon Heat Revision

When in firing mode, the lift crystal is realigned to create a downwards/forward facing gravitational field. The triggering of the crystal after is made deliberate and consistent, resulting in a gun that throws forwards not only an aetheric blast but also a bunch of superheated air.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 27, 2017, 11:58:33 pm »

Cannon Heat Revision

When in firing mode, the lift crystal is realigned to create a downwards/forward facing gravitational field. The triggering of the crystal after is made deliberate and consistent, resulting in a gun that throws forwards not only an aetheric blast but also a bunch of superheated air.

Lift/Trim crystals only alter the way gravity effects them.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 28, 2017, 12:08:53 am »

Quote from: Light Cannon Blast Cooler
The LCBC is designed to mount on the PLACE and provide additional forced air cooling.

By enclosing the cannon barrel assembly in a bronze shroud it possible to force air through the heat sinks at higher speed, and throw the heated air in a uniform direction: downrange.

The air flow is induced by the low pressure area that the heat differential and energy release forms in front of the barrel, causing a rush of air through the shroud and downrange. This has the effect of pulling cool air over the gunners, and throwing most of the heat twords the enemy.

It should be trivial to fit this to our ship cannons as well.

Fakedit: Ninja by ebbor, then our all powerful GM
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:10:29 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 28, 2017, 12:35:23 am »

Hmm... Yeah, how does everyone feel about milo's Blast Cooler?

I don't think it'll fix the problems alone, but remember the point about this cannon normally being fielded on boats going really fast; it's going to need a bit more cooling to be effective, and this does do that, and helps to fix the main issue a bit.

Hmm... Revision idea: Goggles. Main issue is the heat wave is blinding our gunners right? So if we give them some eye protection, it should help mitigate the main issue a fair bit. Would still be hell on the operators, but at least not instantly crippling.

Glory to United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 28, 2017, 01:31:01 am »

Goggles would be a great idea. It would also enormously help our ship's crew too, making it easier to see when going really fast.

Anyone have any idea about what may be done to cut costs?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 28, 2017, 01:48:34 am »

Simple. We just send in the accountants.
Where will our last dice be going? Save it, or make itshanas cheaper?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 28, 2017, 02:22:31 am »

I think we should save it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 28, 2017, 02:28:54 am »

Blast cooler looks good. I mean, when I see "This weapon also generates a blast of superheated air", I'm thinking, "score, that's one more way to kill the enemy".

For a secondary revision to the cannon, hows about

PLACE 2B: The PLACE is just too big. It needs to be smaller. 33% smaller. That should still provide a significant oomph, whilst generating slightly less heat (easier on the blast cooler), requiring slightly less power (easier on the core crystal), weighing slightly less (easier to move around and aim), and overall less resources to construct (easier on our budget).

Alternatively,

PLACE 2C: The PLACE is just too big. It needs to be smaller. 50% smaller. [see 2B for rest of description]

Are we still interested in spending a revision on gauntlets, or have we given up on that?

Qeqesheka Gauntlets: Recently, our engineers have been testing a new form of aether circuitry, which they hypothesize will be able to extract up to 27% more power out of the same crystals, whilst generating the same amount of heat, and requiring the same amount of webbing. The technical details are boring, involving the realigning of node points into a sevenfold symmetry, and replacing a select few copper components with gold, or electrum in the case of the waveform atuner microwire.
They are testing the basic principles involved in the Qeqesheka fine-tuning process on our famously inefficient gauntlets, with the hope of increasing the firepower without requiring a major restructuring of the gauntlet. 
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 28, 2017, 02:35:54 am »

Goggles would be a great idea. It would also enormously help our ship's crew too, making it easier to see when going really fast.

Anyone have any idea about what may be done to cut costs?

To be fair, how effective goggles would be is directly related to what glass we have access to.
Pure fused quartz? Would be excellent for this purpose, with its very high melting point, and ability to resist thermal shock (AKA, sudden heating or cooling) fairly well.
The problem? The more and more impure the glass gets... Those points go away very very quickly, according to the research I've done...

As for cutting costs... If we can make the cannon smaller, like Nuke suggests, it would impact all the issues wouldn't it?... Huh. Alright then, it's not like a smaller PLACE can be adequately defended against by Kasgyri infantry.

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 187