Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159803 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #870 on: July 27, 2017, 05:30:42 pm »

I made a votebox earlier:

.........Welp. That's entirely my bad there. Sorry Nuke.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 27, 2017, 05:31:41 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Project Advancement
2 Dice into the PLACE(2o,4s):(3) Nirur, NUKE, milo
2 Dice into the PLACE(2o,4s) + 2 Dice into the Cloudrunner (12w, 2o): (1) Madman
Other arrangement?

New Design?
No:  (4) Nirur, NUKE, milo, Madman
Yes(Include proposal):
Tidied things up a bit.
We do not really need the extra ore, as far as I know, so I am going to suggest spending it now to possibly, maybe, perhaps get a prototype warship as well. We don't really need the materials, we don't really need the dice, but we do need progress. Now is the best time to get that progress.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, I fixed up the nicest-looking votebox with all relevant votes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: July 27, 2017, 05:43:19 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Project Advancement
2 Dice into the PLACE(2o,4s):(3) Nirur, NUKE, milo
2 Dice into the PLACE(2o,4s) + 2 Dice into the Cloudrunner (12w, 2o): (1) Madman
2 Dice into the PLACE(2o,4s) + 1 Dice into the Cloudrunner (6w, 1o): (1) Jilladilla
Other arrangement?

New Design?
No:  (5) Nirur, NUKE, milo, Madman, Jilladilla
Yes(Include proposal):
I agree with Madman's words, let's work towards a bigger boat. But am I being a bit more conservative in my spending? Probably, I can likely be swayed either way, though, but I would need a plan of what to do with the saved/leftover resources.

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 27, 2017, 05:50:40 pm »

I believe that marines have landed in the Haze Maze already? Herbie should currently be devoid of any cargo. We should move her back to Wreth, obviously.

*Cough*

Of course. Yes. Devoid of cargo.

*Scribble*

That is naturally a thing that the turn reflects.

I openly admit I'm terribly at updating spoilers.

EDIT: I'll lock things in and do the write-up after I get back to my apartment and spread my presence elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:54:10 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: July 27, 2017, 05:58:10 pm »

Quote from: Cloudrunner Cost Guess
9/28 progress = 6 dice average to complete or 2 for prototype, with +2 for fixing bugs/cost. 1-in-3 chance of prototype with 1 die.

Hull = 7w 4o (Skiff or transport cost 2 ore. Double skiff due to increased size. Transport costs 7 wood.)
8 cannons = 8c 8o
S c crystal = 6c
S l crystal = 3c 2o
8 t crystal = 4c (Skiff uses 4 trim. Double due to size)
4 web = 8s (Skiff uses 2 web. Double due to size)
2 plating = 6o (Uncertain. If a skiff is 1 section, then this might be 2.)

Total estimated costs = 20 ore, 21 crystal, 8 silk. -4 ore due to prototype.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 27, 2017, 06:06:58 pm »

I hate it when the nasty math is right.
Especially when it's right and tells us we're in bad shape.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 27, 2017, 06:11:57 pm »

We should be in better shape once our demi-spires fall under our control.

Along those lines, it would be pretty terrible if they ignored the central spires and blew-past our outer skiffs to rush our demi-spires. We should probably have the Herbie reinforce those with actual combat teams, so they can't do that. 15 marines lets us use 9 for defense and still have 6 for taking/being carried to spiderville.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 27, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »

We have 11 total marine units (Infantry spoiler on the turn report).

Two will be trained per turn.

Once we get our demi-spires we should be set, just be aware we CANNOT lose control of any part of Three Captains or Kasgyre will have the ability to go all Russian on us, and just swamp us in more units.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 27, 2017, 06:26:08 pm »

Our ore is only so bad because Verdant Vista gives no ore per turn.
It should look up after we fully reclaim Miner's Folly in two turns (Read: Almost double)

After Haze Maze gets added to the mix, we should be able to get a new armored Cloudrunner every other turn. (Limiting factor is crystal)

And yeah, we should think about adding a pincushion armed squad or two to the local demispires...
Let's first ensure we take Three Captains though, that extra 6 ore per turn means suddenly Itshana Select crystals suddenly become much less of a luxury... (And that +6 silk means aethersilk suits for resisting the Unfinished's... Whatever it is... Becomes much more viable an idea too...) Not to mention our picket line on the belt should give us a heads up for where to mobilize. (And remember that Kasgyr has to deal with the natural hazards of our local spires too)

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 27, 2017, 08:36:20 pm »

P.L.A.C.E
Progress: 8/15 (1,4)

Prototype
[Efficacy: 3 Cost: 1 Bugs: 2]

The good news: the P.L.A.C.E is technically a light aetheric cannon that can be floated around by our men and used inside of other demi-spires. Unfortunately, the good news ends there. The high brass took one look at the estimated expense per P.L.A.C.E unit and immediately questioned how on earth the engineers managed to make a man-portable cannon that costs more than that of a ship cannon. The answer, of course, is that the  P.L.A.C.E requires a great deal more than an ordinary cannon. She requires not only a weapons crystal, but a core crystal, a trim crystal, all the associated and all the additional wiring between the two. The deployment tripod requires construction that's sturdy enough to support the cannon's weight, but light enough to be deployed and broken down easily in the field. Not to mention how much heat protection everything needs.

Which brings us to the biggest problem with the design. The heat. Airships fire their cannons in the big sky, often while moving obscenely quickly. They typically never have to deal with the issues that generation a massive amount of hot air very quickly brings. In an enclosed space, each shot of the P.L.A.C.E superheats a swathe of air in front of the cannon, immediately causing it to expand in a massive gust. It was originally predicted that this effect might affect the gunner's accuracy. It turns out that's quite true, but the method of operation is the blast of hellish air causing contact burns with the gunner's eyeballs and permanently blinding him, not the expected (and still present) cloud of dust and debris. Even forgetting that, the heat as the unnerving tendency to trigger the lift crystal spontaneously- which can cause the cannon to begin floating at very, very inopportune moments.

It requires two operators. One to shoot, one to monitor the core crystal and adjust the mini-web that power the cannon. It takes up one TU.

Projected Unit Cost: 4 Ore, 3 crystal, 1 silk

It is now the Revision Phase. You have 3 dice left to spend.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:42:24 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 27, 2017, 08:41:48 pm »

Ok, we obviously need to work on the heat problem. Shields for the gunners?

The cost isn't terrible actually, just not good. Not good at all. Can we forgo gauntlet boosts this turn and put both revisions into the PLACE before deploying our prototype?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 27, 2017, 08:42:49 pm »

Ok, we obviously need to work on the heat problem. Shields for the gunners?

The cost isn't terrible actually, just not good. Not good at all. Can we forgo gauntlet boosts this turn and put both revisions into the PLACE before deploying our prototype?

Also, I messed up on the cost.

Sorry, it gets worse. Drugs are bad, so are ones.
---

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 27, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »

I...don't think that this is really an option now.

I don't have any particularly great options for us as far as this light cannon goes. I'd say a low-power faster-firing revision might be helpful in protecting us from the heat issues, as well as some form of wooden blast shield. The wood cost will be fine, the big issue is just getting the thing to not kill our operators. Not to mention protecting them from the spiders. I love non-muzzle-loading weapons, there's so much more you can DO with them.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 27, 2017, 08:46:34 pm »

Scale it down by about half?

That should make it cheaper, and less likely to overheat, while still being super powerful compared to gauntlets.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 27, 2017, 08:47:58 pm »

Welp... RNGesus giveth, and RNGesus taketh away...

I'm a bit glad we saved more than one dice now... SO! Ideas on how to make up for that 2 on bugs?
(Draignean, power wise, where is it in comparison to one of our normal aether cannons?)

...Speaking of power, throttling its output should go a decent way into avoiding the heat issue, should 'stack' well enough with something that would actually fix that, and should still be plenty powerful enough for what we need it to accomplish.... And maybe something that would drop that ore cost some?
Alternatively, don't go hardcore FIX THE CANNON this turn, spread out the fixes between this turn and next, and let Herbie take a prototype next turn?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:55:11 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 187