Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159843 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #330 on: July 17, 2017, 09:45:23 pm »

OK.
Draignean, do we need dice to create and revise tactics?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 17, 2017, 09:45:54 pm »

OK.
Draignean, do we need dice to create and revise tactics?

Yes
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 17, 2017, 09:50:05 pm »

Yikes.

Guys?

We MAY want to spend some dice on new tactics, saving ourselves the ore from developing the Cloudrunner any further. Spend a die to finish our crossbow project and get ready to hand it to everyone right down to their second cousins, and adopt some sniper/ambush tactics to go along with it. Doing better than "Fire until you can't fire and then rush them" will give us a huge advantage.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 17, 2017, 10:01:56 pm »

Quote from: Battle Plan
Rush "Belt" Spires: (2) Madman198237, Milo
Rush the Unfinished, take homeside demispire: (1) Tack

Anything else is idiocy.

Edit:
Tactics: Wouldn't they be designs, and thus take too much time to deploy right now, or are the revisions?
If they are revisions I could get behind a positional defense tactic to help us hold our soon to be aquired new spires.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:13:14 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 17, 2017, 10:13:41 pm »

My design submission (If we're committed to leaving the cloudrunner for a while)

It's not tactics, but it can become tactics with revisions.

Anything else is idiocy.
It's only 'idiocy' if victory would be assured. It's not, which means if we fail to take a spire we will have made absolutely zero progress on our resources.
So how about we don't throw around insulting words when we're making the decision between risky and safe. It only takes the Risky not paying off for you to look like the biggest idiot of them all.

God be pleased.
But yeah if someone wants to bullet-point those... be my guest.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:00:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 17, 2017, 10:22:47 pm »

We are not designing anything this turn we need those dice for finishing our existing projects.

Specifically, we need to finish the crossbow, we need to revise our select crystals for expense, and we should revise some of our other equipment slightly. We simply have no dice for designs.

Quote for the day: "He who will not risk, cannot win"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:25:25 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 18, 2017, 01:38:24 am »

still, this seems an incredibly high risk. Belt spires seem very defended and troublesome, trying to engage 2 at the same time with our still limited troops capacity seems extremely risky.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 18, 2017, 01:47:41 am »

Exactly. I'd rather not lose all our guys to spiders.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 18, 2017, 02:15:44 am »

Rush the Unfinished, take homeside demispire: (2) Tack, NUKE9.13
You people seem to be under the impression that the first person to a spire immediately conquers the whole thing, and gets a massive defensive bonus. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, and that it will take 4 turns to conquer an uncontested spire. If that is the case, then yes, rushing the middle makes sense. If it isn't, we only lose one turn's worth of progress by attacking the middle adjacent demi-spire, and gain a guaranteed 6 ore one turn earlier.

Draignean: Sorry to bother you. Does occupying an uncontested spire conquer it immediately, or does it take 4 turns?

Edit:
Tactics: Wouldn't they be designs, and thus take too much time to deploy right now, or are the revisions?
If they are revisions I could get behind a positional defense tactic to help us hold our soon to be aquired new spires.
This question is answered in the rules, as an example for the difference between a design and a revision. If it's a totally new tactic, it's a design. If it's a modification to existing tactics, it's a revision.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 18, 2017, 04:22:34 am »

Plan Rush Belt Spires + claim local ones
Transports: 2 normal, one 'budget' using a VS Itshana Select Core
Troop equipment: 4 squads worth of Bronze Cutlasses, 4 fire-teams worth of cheap crossbow, 2 squads worth of cheap crossbows

Proposed setup: Squads A,B,D,E: Swords + Crossbow Fire Team
Squads C and F: Crossbows to everyone
Transport A: Carry Squads A+B+C, Head to The Unfinished
Transport B: Carry Squads D+E+F, Head to Three Captains
'Budget' Transport: Grab Squads G+H(Both unarmed) Drop one off at our Central Demispire, move to left demispire and drop the other next turn

BUDGET:
res   transports     equipment
28   -  27  =  1      -  0     = 1 c
24   -  15  =  9      -  8     = 1 o
71   -  21  =  50    -  24    = 26w
28   -  6    =  22    -  0     = 22s
(Budget assumes we do not cheapen Itshana Process, and that Light Crossbows retain the Suppressors wood cost)

Dice Plan:
1 Dice: And Only one die, Cloudrunner progress
1 Dice: Finish Crossbow (Spend 2 if we want to be absoulutely sure... This plan falls apart a little if we fail to finish this. (I think a dual belt rush would be tricky in general without this though))
1 Dice: Revise a stripped down Light Crossbow variant

2 wildcards, one if we want to be absolutely sure of getting that crossbow done.
Also, I didn't leave in what we're doing with our Skyskiffs, with our passive Itshana boost they should be a little better than theirs, unless they improved them as well

Plan Rush Belt Spires + claim local ones: (1) Jilladilla

(Tack, can you clip my Taser Ballista comment from the Accumulated Words of God? I'm guessing this is going in a public place, and we don't want to give those darn Kasgyr any ideas. Although if that's just going to be linked from the first post of our thread it'll be fine I guess)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:50:13 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 18, 2017, 05:00:02 am »

Heck, I'm willing to vote with anyone who's taken the time to do the math.
What accommodations can we afford to make if we guarantee making Itshana crystals cheaper?

Skiffs... I think we're stuck between sending 5 to each to provide minimal protection to transports, or bunching up all 10 at one in the event of an actual battle happening.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 18, 2017, 05:02:22 am »

Hmm :/

I'll grant you, the math checks out. IF we can cheapen the crossbows. Which, to be fair, should be possible with a revision. Although, if we roll poorly, it might end up even weaker than it already is.
I would add to your plan us spending a revision on better tactics. The fire & charge tactic won't work well for men without swords. (Mass Fire & Charge --> Mass Fire & Retreat)

Hey, actually, since we have plenty of silk, maybe we should give our squad commanders silk shirts? It'd only cost 6 silk, and might give us a small advantage, if they choose to deploy aetheric infantry weapons.

Skyskiffs, we send 5 of each to the Three Captains and the Unfinished.

If we manage to get cheap crossbows, I could support this plan.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 18, 2017, 05:27:18 am »

Shouldn't be too hard to cut the ore out, I'm literally talking about stripping out all the fancy bits that make the Suppressor not a vanilla crossbow, to turn it into a vanilla crossbow.

And didn't we boost the power with laminated wood or something like that? It shouldn't cut down on killing power then, just removing auto-fire and any reload assistance the equipment may offer. (I'm being thorough, to pretty much try to ensure that the ore cost is removed... And even if the power does drop a bit, it shouldn't matter too much if they don't have armor)
(Remember, my plan does leave 2 dice as wildcards, even if I personally am partial to spending one of those to ensure the Suppressor finishes.)

Tack, if we make Itshana Select Crystals cheaper, we would probably only save 1 or 2 ore, not 3, as I very highly doubt we'll make it free. Not enough to outfit a crossbow squad with full-on suppressors or give both of them backup swords.

Still, we do have wood for more crossbows (We can literally hand everyone in those 6 squads a crossbow if we wanted, but going that extreme would prevent us from making any Cloudrunner progress), and we can hand out some aethersilk vests too.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 18, 2017, 02:47:42 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Projects:
1 die into Cloudrunner, 1 die into Suppressor (7 Wood, 1 Ore): (1) NUKE9.13

New Designs:
None: (1) NUKE9.13
Alright, fine. Let's do this.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:54 pm »

The forums revive, and this is the first topic on the FG&RP board replied to. I'm not surprised.

Quote from: Votes
Projects:
1 die into Cloudrunner, 1 die into Suppressor (7 Wood, 1 Ore): (2) NUKE9.13, Nirur

New Designs:
None: (2) NUKE9.13, Nirur
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 187