Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159739 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2017, 02:19:02 pm »

Hmm, hmm. We want to send three units of marines (which is the maximum a regular transport can carry) to the Unfinished, and they should be equipped with at minimum swords, and preferably at least one fireteam each with ranged weapons. The adjacent demi-spire (I think we should go for the middle one), we only need to send a token force to.

Shopping list (minimum):
3xSwords (6 Ore)
3xRanged weapon (3 Ore, 6 Wood OR 3 Crystal)

So... it is theoretically possible to go for three transports (one budget). But then we can't invest anything in the Cloudrunner. And we'd not be sending the most well-armed marines in the world to the Unfinished.
I think we should just go for two transports, and accept that it's going to take one whole extra turn before we start capturing the third adjacent demi-spire.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:50 pm »

In other news, I might need to round up all of the Words of God and put them in a spoiler...

For now, does anyone know if a revision of a finished product is possible / allows the unrevised product to still be produced?

God would enjoy that.

Revisions that are (mostly) unambiguously better and costless automatically overwrite the old tech. If a revision changes the tech's functionality or cost, you can manufacture the two independently.

For example, the Itshana improvements make all crystals unambiguously better, without increasing cost. Thus, any crystal is an Itshana crystal, and you don't need to select it independently.

However, the Select crystals (while unambiguously better) have a steep increase in cost, so you retain both the basic crystals and get an option to make the select version.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2017, 02:30:01 pm »

We should revise the select crystals to reduce their price. That will make more transports possible, maybe?
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2017, 02:52:42 pm »

We should revise the select crystals to reduce their price. That will make more transports possible, maybe?

Depends on how successful the revision goes.
This turn we almost certainly finish up the crossbow and get our equipment in order, also Word of Draignean just stated that revising variants is a thing we can do, so potentially dumping a pair of revisions into the crossbow, one for a stripped down, Light Crossbow only variant (to remove the ore cost so we can spam them on everyone), and the other that would make our current one better, might be a viable idea... Still, next turn we need to find a plan, and stick with it. Remember that construction and production come after revisions!
(Maybe trying to revise the Itshana Process to not commit murder on our ore stockpiles is a good idea, maybe it can wait.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 17, 2017, 04:24:47 pm »

TWO transports, guys, we can't afford more. We want full transports with all the capability (Or partial lack thereof) that that implies. We'll rush with our Skyskiffs instead. Just land on and occupy the two end spires between us and Kasgyr, meaning the Unfinished and Three Captains spires.

So next turn, what can we do as far as dumping dice and resources while still getting two transports AND outfitting marines?

Alright, so assuming two transports carrying 3 squads apiece, math is as follows. Every man has a sword, so 12 ore for swords. I'd LIKE aetheric gauntlets for every fireteam, but I think one squad equipped with ranged weapons is the best we can afford. So, 2 gauntlets, one musket (Going to the Unfinished), one pistol (Going to the Three Captains) totals to 2O 2C + 2O + 3O + 12O = 2C + 19O for weapons. Transports total to 20C, 8O, 14W, 4S.
(We have) - (to use)
28C - 22C
24O - 32 O
71W - 14W
28S - 4S
We're screwed for ore, basically.
Refigure:
8 ore for 4 squads' of swords. Scrap the guns entirely, keep the gauntlets. We're down by 6 fireteams' worth of weapons, or 1.5 squads, but have saved 9 ore, giving us a leftovers total of
6C
1O
58W
24S
At the end of the turn. Now then, I see some issues approaching fast. Namely, the price of project maintenance. I've gotta go look up the numbers. Alright, one ore per die for the Cloudrunner project. Suppressor's not an issue, it only costs wood, and only needs one die.

Then a better plan: 3 squads to Unfinished (Crystal production) and three squads to the Three Captains. Send a single squad with one gauntlet per fireteam to both, back them up with modified crossbows with no ore cost...hopefully. Two squads with swords per spire. The final squad is a support squad with ranged weapons, but we won't produce anything immediately in order to save resources. Their only purpose, at first, will be to fill in losses from the other squads (Picking up other peoples' weapons should they get killed). This gives us 3O to play with. Three dice for the ship project, I guess. Then we'll have to wait for a bit before doing anything else, I'm afraid. We'll want to grab Burned Mountain ASAP to fix our ore issues, but it's secondary to locking down their access to those central spires.

Draignean, can we move from our base to one of the "Belt" spires in one turn? And can you move past an occupied Spire?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:27 pm »

Draignean, can we move from our base to one of the "Belt" spires in one turn? And can you move past an occupied Spire?

A ship can go anywhere within two spires of its current location, but will be halted by enemy activity.

Three Captains and the Unfinished can be reached immediately, but the inner two belt demi-spires can't, neither can any spire in Kasgyre territory. If a spire is occupied by the enemy, but there is now enemy ship presence, you can just go around and it will not impede travel. If there is an enemy ship, it may stop your fleet movement depending on your orders and its scale. Symmetric and mostly symmetric fleets will stop one another.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 17, 2017, 04:34:19 pm »

In regards to Madman's strategy: alternatively, we could not advance on the Three Captains on the very first turn, and send a transport to capture our middle spire instead. That will also provide us with ore, and doesn't require us to win a battle. And since we only need to send a single unit with no equipment (since they won't face any resistance there unless something goes terribly wrong), we save a bunch of resources as well.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2017, 04:38:46 pm »

We have, at a terribly rough guess, a 50% chance of getting into a fight. They'll likely do an early-game consolidation of their local spires. While my plan does require us to forgo those free resources, they also give us a good chance of winning the long haul, since we'll have more material and be capable of forcing the enemy to fight us for those spires.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »

If we take two of the middle spires imediatly we will have a good running start. Our own demi-spires can be taken whenever...

I don't really see anything objectionable in the "Mad plan" :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:50:15 pm by milo christiansen »
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 17, 2017, 04:49:58 pm »

In regards to Madman's strategy: alternatively, we could not advance on the Three Captains on the very first turn, and send a transport to capture our middle spire instead. That will also provide us with ore, and doesn't require us to win a battle. And since we only need to send a single unit with no equipment (since they won't face any resistance there unless something goes terribly wrong), we save a bunch of resources as well.

Hmm... I would be partial towards doubling down on the Unfinished, Ore is where we are hurting, and like what has been mentioned, we probably won't need to outfit anyone going for an uncontested spire.

Three Captains has +2 wood and +5 silk over our middle spire, yes, but the resource split could jeopardize our occupation of the Unfinished, which when secured would let us reasonably occupy Burned Mountain.

Draignean, do we have to revise our production pattern to let our auto-built Skyskiffs take advantage of the Itshana Process? (Not the Select crystals, but the passive boost to our normal crystals)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 17, 2017, 04:53:03 pm »

No, it's a boost to our crystal production in general. There's literally no reason for our workers to NOT use the new crystals.

If we rush BOTH central spires ASAP, the enemy will still be busy claiming their own demispires while we double up troops on the central spires.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2017, 04:55:50 pm »

I'd like to get 3 transports, send one to land unarmed troops on our central spires over 2 turns and send one off to each middle spire. If they do something similar, we should either be similarly poorly armed, or we'll have an advantage in ship combat and keeping them all from landing.

Along those lines, I'd really like to revise the production pattern for the select crystals.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2017, 04:57:56 pm »

If we take the center spires (the ones we can reach anyway) then we get to shoot their marines down from prepared defenses... We MUST take both spires, then our own demi-spires. Hopefully the enemy is slower.

It would really suck if we all had the same idea...

Three transports would be ok, but two is the minimum.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2017, 04:58:10 pm »

Draignean, do we have to revise our production pattern to let our auto-built Skyskiffs take advantage of the Itshana Process? (Not the Select crystals, but the passive boost to our normal crystals)

No.

The passive, costless boosts that completely replace existing techs automatically applied.
---

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2017, 05:15:52 pm »

We can't build three, not without compromising lifting power and maneuverability. Basically, if we did that I could EASILY see Draig telling us "Sorry, but you showed up after their faster transports and lost the spire".

We go with two, cut off the enemy, then we grab the two spires in the center before reinforcing our two guard spires (The ones preventing access to both the central spires and our own demispires.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 187