Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159743 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #270 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:45 am »

Pretty sure this rust is pervasive and electromagnets and handwavium.
That'll need GM stuff though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2017, 09:32:45 am »

Quite possibly, though I suppose we can only wait and see what the GM does have to say.

Draignean, will a copper-clad sheet of rust-able metal survive a hit that puts a relatively small hole in the copper? As in, will the rust shield the rest of the metal from the air?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:10 am »

Couldn't we use ceramic armour instead? A bit heavy sure but Kevlar can stop a bullet and other types can dissipate heat really quickly. Ceramics are good for frag/HE shells too.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 17, 2017, 09:39:10 am »

Kevlar is not ceramic, and ceramics are terrible for ballistics.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:23 am »

Oh yeah, you're right. Still we could use it as its not metal.

Either way there are other non-steel/iron alternatives for armour and weapons that aren't copper/bronze/tin/wood.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:33 am »

Like?

Ceramics are used in modern armor to defeat HEAT shells, so perhaps if the enemy relies on Aetheric weapons they'd be effective. That said, we use some pretty modern ceramics in modern composite armors. Anyway, a ceramic backing to a copper plate might prevent fires from starting on the wood as the copper gets heated, but that won't stop the crap from just dripping off.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2017, 09:56:25 am »

Why don't you like the idea of notches in the armor? It was literally just the word for "convenient place to connect something else" that sprang into my mind. It accomplishes the same thing.

I don't have anything against it, but the design I was talking about didn't have armor. I was pointing out that it should say hull instead.

Personally I think a armor-less hull that is cheaper and can have armor revised onto it later is the way to go, but I don't feel strongly enough to make an issue of it either way... Both are good, I just prefer the cheaper one a tiny but more.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2017, 10:02:11 am »

Guys, we have vats that grow magic crystals.
If we're gonna use ceramics as a not-metal, let's make it a crystal.

It'll be expensive as hell, but at the same time I feel like a lore-breaker should be.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2017, 10:06:49 am »

Aetheric crystal plates! Small crystal plates that gather aetheric energy and uses it to weld itself to neighboring plates and boost its strength. Expensive, very expensive! But possibly very strong and quick to build new hulls.

Obviously late game only!
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:24 am »

Crystals shatter.

Very easily.

Ceramics are a good in-universe method of protecting something from heat and HEAT. Not that we should be facing HEAT any time soon.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2017, 10:12:10 am »

Guys, we have vats that grow magic crystals.
If we're gonna use ceramics as a not-metal, let's make it a crystal.

It'll be expensive as hell, but at the same time I feel like a lore-breaker should be.

I.... Don't think it would stand up to physical impacts very well. And by that I mean shatter if anything solid looks at it funny. Some of the descriptions of our current crystals doesn't fill me with confidence of this being effective....

The main argument with trying to get steel is that it is in fact strong against physical hits, and its higher melting point should probably make it pretty darn resilient against lower end aetheric weapons as well (Unless it turns out that they super-charge the iron rot thingie on a direct hit... Then steel is more ablative against those... But we have shrouds for those do we not?)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2017, 10:20:29 am »

Well, crystal would be pretty good as *active* armor. Each plate would absorb aetheric energy and use it to strengthen itself. Probably not cost effective unless we have way more crystal than we need and armor is desperately needed.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2017, 10:36:02 am »

No, crystals are too easily exploded. Let's play a more reasonable game, alright? We don't overreach for ridiculous techs and we don't make any more rash decisions.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2017, 10:49:18 am »

Draignean, will a copper-clad sheet of rust-able metal survive a hit that puts a relatively small hole in the copper? As in, will the rust shield the rest of the metal from the air?

No. Think of Iron Rot like an infection. Once it sets in, it will travel throughout the entire iron structure to a ridiculous degree- including typically stainless alloys.

(Draignean, How much can we use the Itshana Process while it's still in prototyping?).

As much as you like.

EDIT1:
....Hmm... Do we know if the shroud blocks lightning? As Madman's Taser Ballista idea sounds fun. Maybe it could even overload their lift crystal?

A shroud will stop a lightning strike. However, they will not stop a physical object from conducting energy through the barrier. As an example, a shroud effectively absorbs aetheric energy blasts, but webbing conducts aetheric energy through the shroud.

EDIT2: I'd love a tie-breaker between the two corvette models.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:55:24 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2017, 10:56:02 am »

Great.

Second question, one I should've thought of earlier:

What sort of damage does Aetheric weaponry cause? Is it just the heat, or is there an impact associated with it?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 187