Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159663 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #255 on: July 17, 2017, 01:00:07 am »

I'm assuming we can't get three transports then unless we skimp?

Because if we have the option of not skimping I'd suggest it.
Better to arrive early in better ships than arrive late in sub-par ones.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 17, 2017, 02:45:03 am »

Guys, spending two dice on crystals has a 50% chance of wasting a die and 6 resources. It ain't worth it.

Quote from: Votes
Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (3) Mad, Jilladilla, Tack
One die into Itshana Process:
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (2) Milo, NUKE9.13
One die into the Suppressor:
Spend only one die in projects
Spend no dice on projects

New Design Votes
Windrider Corvette (3 dice): (4) Jilladilla, Milo, Madman, Tack
Cloudrunner Corvette (3 dice): (1) NUKE9.13
No Design

Again, I'm gonna say that integrating armour into the design is just asking for trouble. The ship will already have a shroud, and with a larger hull, it probably won't fall to pieces after a single shot. You risk raising the ore cost, making the ship slower, and raising design complexity.
Other than that Madman's design is mostly fine. So I'm just gonna copy it and make two small changes

Cloudrunner Corvette
This simple hull is much larger than the Skyskiff, roughly equal to the Transport Barge in length, though it is substantially thinner and lighter, as it has no need for cargo capacity. The hull is made entirely of wood, with a basic copper "skin" to prevent total failure in the event of a single aetheric cannon hit. The real genius, however, lies in its adaptability. It has 8 mountings for weapons, three per side, one fore and one aft, internal space left open for all the crystals in any configuration that you could ever want (with a reinforced bracket for the lift crystal to allow for more extreme manoeuvres), and its hull has brackets allowing copper or bronze armour plates to be mounted directly to the ship with ease, or for them to be removed or replaced even easier.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:53:14 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 17, 2017, 05:06:42 am »

Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (4) Mad, Jilladilla, Tack, Khan Boyzitbig
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (2) Milo, NUKE9.13

New Design Votes
Cloudrunner Corvette (3 dice): (2) NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig
No Design
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2017, 05:22:25 am »

Nuke is right, 2 dice here has a good chance of wasting one. Considering we don't absolutely need it done next turn, it would be wiser to use one die. If one is not enough, we can use another next turn.
The plans for the VS core for the transport only need the prototypebonus.

Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (4) Mad, Jilladilla, Tack, Khan Boyzitbig
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (3) Milo, NUKE9.13, andrea

New Design Votes
No Design

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2017, 05:35:04 am »

Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (3) Mad, Jilladilla, Khan Boyzitbig
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (4) Milo, NUKE9.13, andrea, Taxk

New Design Votes
No Design
Smart re: Itv. crystals, but I don't see a problem with integrated copper sheeting on what is essentially a light warship.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2017, 06:38:00 am »

I was wrong. There's actually a 66.67% chance of wasting a die and 6 resources. That definitely isn't worth risking.

The problem with integrated copper sheathing is you can't take it off. If we're 2 ore short to build a Windrider, we can't just decide to leave off the armour and refit it on later. And if it turns out the Windrider is just a touch slower than their ship, but is more than capable of tanking enough hits, we can't strip off the dead weight of the armour to get a little speed boost.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 17, 2017, 07:34:04 am »

Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (3) Mad, Jilladilla, Khan Boyzitbig
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (4) Milo, NUKE9.13, andrea, Taxk

New Design Votes
Windrider Corvette (3 dice): (3) Jilladilla, Madman, Tack
Cloudrunner Corvette (3 dice): (3) NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Milo
No Design

Why don't you reword the part where it says "the armor is notched" to say it has brackets for mounting optional armor?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:36:09 am by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 17, 2017, 07:36:08 am »

I'm assuming we can't get three transports then unless we skimp?

Because if we have the option of not skimping I'd suggest it.
Better to arrive early in better ships than arrive late in sub-par ones.

We can if we literally only spend up to 2 crystal on non transport things. This isn't going to happen, the Itshana process is too darn vital.
With spending 2 dice on it, we would have to get 2 budget transports if we want to meet our 3 transport rush deadline. Note that Ore wise, if we go for the 2 Itshana dice, we have a 4 ore leeway... Depending on how the Windrider's project expense turns out we might have to delay that if we decide to do the transport rush... And our crossbows cost Ore... Joy.... (We really do need more ore)
(Note that if we can immediately sortie transports the same turn they're deployed, we might get another round of resources? Still not entirely sure when the fighting starts)

'Better to arrive early in better ships than arrive late in sub-par ones.'...? Is there something wrong with this? Because of course it's better to arrive earlier with better things than later with worse things... (And our situation is different: Arrive early with sup-par ships, or later with okay ones?)

...........I fell asleep in the middle of this, so it might be hilariously behind the conversation now... Below is new stuff
Ok, if we only spend one dice on the Itshana process and succeed, it'll be good for our resources... And I guess you do raise a point that prototyped Itshana Crystals are good enough for a ship or two (Draignean, How much can we use the Itshana Process while it's still in prototyping?).
Not changing my vote to the other group of votes, as the suppressor is still a failure of a repeater at anything beyond too darn close for a non-melee weapon range. I will admit that its single fire mode is decently viable now, though. (Maybe dump a revision into it so we can keep the lever, magazine and what not and make it a 'normal' crossbow with a very fancy reload-assist system? Wouldn't be automatic fire, but should still be much faster than a normal crossbow, and the lack of full-auto means we it would be actually be accurate, even with minimal considerations being applied here..... TLDR, I would put more faith in a heavier 'semi-automatic' (but not really, as it'll still need the lever pulled back) crossbow than our current 'automatic' one...)
Either way, next turn I'll number crunch some and see how much we'll be able to spend and still get our transports

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:39 am »

The Suppressor isn't good. But it's better than our gunpowder weapons. If we design/revise tactics to use them optimally, they could be decent even in their current condition (At long range- single shot mode sniping, until the enemy gets too close, then half the unit focuses on raining down automatic fire upon the foe, whilst the other half stands with swords ready to defend against an enemy charge- or something like that)

That being said, I can understand if you don't think finishing it is a priority. If people would prefer not to spend dice on it, I could be convinced to support just spending one die on projects, into the Itshana Process. So long as we don't spend two on it at once, because the cost in dice and resources is not one we can afford.

Why don't you reword the part where it says "the armor is notched" to say it has brackets for mounting optional armor?
You're right. I've changed it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 17, 2017, 08:05:22 am »

The issue I see with not having an integrated layer of THIN plating is this: When are we EVER going to use this thing in a noncombatant role? Also, without even basic copper cladding, a single Aetheric cannon shot has a solid chance of crippling the craft, because even the light cannons will "blow wood to flaming splinters" that then scatter far and wide, injuring and killing crewmen and possibly even damaging the webbing.

Why don't you like the idea of notches in the armor? It was literally just the word for "convenient place to connect something else" that sprang into my mind. It accomplishes the same thing.

Two full transports once the Itshana process is done. Anything until then is just sheer waste, then I vote for a centerline push to take both outermost Spires. We ship in a bunch of marines (And hopefully some heavy weapons) and then we should be set for defense, as long as our navy sits still there.

OK, I won't vote for 2 dice on that project. I should have looked at the numbers first. Thank you for doing the math. That said, the other option is winning. So if anyone votes for 2 dice, please put my vote down on 1 dice instead. Thanks!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 17, 2017, 08:26:43 am »

I guess the real question is: do we have something to gain or lose from the armor being modular? Will it drop our efficacy? Will it cost more?
Will we need to spend another research phase developing "modular copper plate"?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 17, 2017, 08:40:42 am »

Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (2) Mad, Jilladilla
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (5) Milo, NUKE9.13, andrea, Taxk, Khan Boyzitbig

New Design Votes
Windrider Corvette (3 dice): (3) Jilladilla, Madman, Tack
Cloudrunner Corvette (3 dice): (3) NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Milo
No Design
If the risk of wasting a die is so high then sure lets split them.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:00 am »

We might need to research some form of armor, but a steel sandwich plate system (Copper/Steel/Copper to protect from the elements) would be extremely effective. Not to mention it'd take almost nothing beyond starting progress because it's so simple. Especially as it's being modular.

In fact, steel, or at least iron, is cheaper than copper, as copper is a fairly rare metal. Tin is even rarer.

Maybe we ought to consider developing a system capable of "drawing" Aether towards it, rather than the passive one we have now. Doing that might allow for internal webbing systems for heavy warships, or possibly even a system that draws Aether away from an opponent's webbing...Though that's probably not really necessary.

Anybody up for a ballista that fires a massive iron rod (Stored in airtight copper sheathes or some such until use) into an enemy, then uses a core crystal's electricity production (And a capacitor) to zap the ship? Possibly even using a metallic chain attached to the rod?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 17, 2017, 09:13:45 am »

We might need to research some form of armor, but a steel sandwich plate system (Copper/Steel/Copper to protect from the elements) would be extremely effective. Not to mention it'd take almost nothing beyond starting progress because it's so simple. Especially as it's being modular.
Remember, that a simple layered armor scheme involving iron has the issue that a single breach no matter how small will cause the entire thing to rust away unless the holes are found and filled. (Remember how our guns #1 issue is the Iron Rot ruining pretty much the entire thing if it suffers one little nick in the plating?)

An armor scheme where the iron/steel plates are encased separately would likely be more effective (Think a bunch of M&Ms, if M&Ms were square shaped and larger), as an unnoticed breach would only ruin that plate, not the entire thing... Unless I'm horribly misunderstanding what you're trying to explain?
(But yeah, everyone do remember that iron is pretty much everywhere, it's not rare in the slightest)

....Hmm... Do we know if the shroud blocks lightning? As Madman's Taser Ballista idea sounds fun. Maybe it could even overload their lift crystal?

(Also, possible suggestion for the future: Capacitor Crystals. Basically meant to hold charge and shunt it into the Core or any of the weapons and what not. Also maybe we could try sticking tiny ones in webbing to mitigate the overload they suffer when hit with aetheric weapons?)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 17, 2017, 09:24:44 am »

Alright, so remember the whole suggestion that you mentioned about individual plates?

Yeah that's what my design has incorporated since before you even proposed it.

And unless I'm mistaken, rust works the way it does IRL, except faster---namely, once the hole is filled with rust, air still can't reach the rest of the plate. A slight nick is a problem for a gun because it provides an escape route for the gasses, and then you get a small explosion.
In your heads.
Next to all those body parts you didn't want to lose.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:26:57 am by Madman198237 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 187