Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 187

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth  (Read 159692 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Wreth
« Reply #285 on: July 17, 2017, 10:58:23 am »

I'd just like to remind everyone that shrouds are a thing. The way you're talking about armour makes it sound like you've forgotten.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:31 am »

What sort of damage does Aetheric weaponry cause? Is it just the heat, or is there an impact associated with it?

Conceptualize it as a plasma weapon. Primary factor is heat, but secondary kinetic damage occurs as it turns a portion of the impact site into plasma which then expands at high velocity.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 17, 2017, 11:17:02 am »

NUKE, one of our designs *could* be a Shroud crystal that can also allow us simplified (AND CHEAPER!) core crystals which do not have a Shroud function. That said, a far more direct and less-crystal-intensive method is getting ourselves some ceramics and preventing heat damage. There's a reason that those ARE used in modern armor, and it's because HEAT rounds *melt* their way into tanks.

So, a ceramic layer in a composite sheet like THIS would be great:

Lamellar Protection Scheme
These plates are meant to be mounted to the mounting points on the hull of a Windrider. Each one is a set of small copper-ceramic-steel-copper plates, with the ceramic and steel sealed inside a thin layer of copper, welded together into a slightly larger sheet, which can be made curved if that is necessary to lie flush with the hull. This provides maximum protection from both kinetic and Aetheric weaponry.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 17, 2017, 11:18:40 am »

Draignean, will a copper-clad sheet of rust-able metal survive a hit that puts a relatively small hole in the copper? As in, will the rust shield the rest of the metal from the air?

No. Think of Iron Rot like an infection. Once it sets in, it will travel throughout the entire iron structure to a ridiculous degree- including typically stainless alloys.

Wait, so if I understand this right, even re-sealing the iron won't help unless it's done literally immediate future?

(Not asking this next thing as a question yet Draignean)
....I wonder how effective electrolysis would be against this... Might end up as a case of treating the symptoms and not actually treating the Rot.
Also Taser Ballista is a (potential) go! (If nothing else, a chain+bolt combo might help us prevent the enemy from fleeing if we end up with the sturdier, more powerful ships)

EDIT: Madman that's brilliant! 100% approval from me for that armor scheme.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:23:26 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 17, 2017, 11:42:29 am »

Either way, a bad is going to result in us changing to the other with our revisions so eh:

Windrider (2)
Cloud runner (4)
Tie broken, lets go fully modular
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2017, 11:49:03 am »

Quote from: Votes
Project Votes
Two dice into Itshana Process (2) Mad, Jilladilla
One die into Itshana Process:
One die into Itshana Process and one die into the Suppressor: (5) Milo, NUKE9.13, andrea, Tack, Khan Boyzitbig
One die into the Suppressor:
Spend only one die in projects
Spend no dice on projects

New Design Votes
Windrider Corvette (3 dice): (2) Jilladilla, Madman
Cloudrunner Corvette (3 dice): (4) NUKE9.13, Khan Boyzitbig, Milo, Tack
No Design
Darnit Tack, copy the actual vote-box next time ok? Just quote whatever post had it last, trim everything that isn't in the [ quote=Votes ] box and call it a day. At least, that's what I do... Anyway, I moved your vote over.

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 17, 2017, 12:11:48 pm »

Is what I usually do, but on my phone it's tricky.
Thanks for fixing me up

Obligatory good luck charm
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:43:40 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2017, 12:46:12 pm »

Cloudrunner Corvette
[Time: 2 Progress: 3 Cost: 6]

The designs plans for the Cloudrunner paper the walls of the headquarters of the Wrethian Aeronautical Engineering corps. On paper, she's bold, beautiful, and will utterly outclass any other combat ship in the sky. The engineers have a moment to toast their marvelous design, and that's when the administrators turn up to help orchestrate how to funnel the supplies needed to actually build the beast.

Requisitioning supplies is turned into a red-tape nightmare, where the paper-work to get the materials needed to implement the design documents is somewhere more complex than the airship's actual design documents. Engineers express extreme frustration with the meddling of the accountants and elaborate on how much faster they could work if they didn't have these blasted penny-pinchers auditing every supply request. On the other hand, the accountants are quick to point out that, at this point, there is literally no expense wasted on the project, and that allowing engineers unfettered supply to material is like giving a cat unfettered access to food. A sleek cat hunts well, a fat cat only mewls for handouts.

Cloudrunner Corvette: 3/28 | 4 wood + 1 Ore, + 2 of either ore OR wood | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Project Maintenance

Itshana Process
Progress: 5
Current: 17/15, Project Complete!

The final tweaks to the aetheric resonators are complete, and all vatteries have been equipped with the necessary devices. Several specialized Itshana Vatteries have also been created for the sole purpose of creating Select crystals.

Suppressor Crossbow
Progress: 3
Current: 9/12

Work on the suppressor continues apace. As is usually the case with weapons development, no news is good news.

It is now the Revision phase. You have no dice left to spend, so sit on your hands and talk amongst yourselves while Kasgyre finishes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:53 pm »

Someone needs to tell Kasgyre to get the spire out of their butts and finish their turn :P

Well, nothing too bad, but nothing earth shatteringly great either. Next turn we need to put most of our dice into finishing the ship design.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2017, 12:56:19 pm »

Yeah, next turn we sacrifice one die on the crossbow as that should be all it needs. At least we now have about 20% boost to crystal performance and we can throw wood at the new hull design too.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 17, 2017, 12:57:40 pm »

If we don't finish the crossbow, remember that we will only be able to outfit one squads fireteam with the prototypes guys (Not the entire squad if I'm reading the rules right, just 1/4th of it.)

That said, this new project just sips ore, so we should be able to invest in it fairly heavily. I'll do some number crunching in a bit, to see how much leeway we have if we want to maintain the 3 transport rush.

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 17, 2017, 01:05:52 pm »

Itshana Vatteries!
Delicious.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 17, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »

Right, at the start of the next turn we should have (Assuming that we spent 4c 2o on finishing the Itshana Process)
28 crystal
24 ore
71 wood
28 silk

One transport costs:
10 crystal
4   ore
7   wood
2   silk

A 'budget' transport using a Very Small Itshana Select Core Crystal costs:
7 crystal
7 ore
7 wood
2 silk

So we can get two normal ones and one 'budget' transport and still have 1 leftover crystal, and 9 leftover ore. Please note that I am not taking Project Expenses into account, just the cost of the transports
Each additional 'budget' transport gives us 3 extra crystal to play with (but 3 less ore)... But probably not enough to buy a Cloudrunner. (It's unlikely to be finished even with 5 dice)
And don't forget that we need to outfit our marines, at the very least the ones heading towards the Unfinished, as they'll probably be contested.
(Remember that our crossbow needs ore! 4 of it to outfit an entire squad with one! And swords need 2 for a squad as well.)

Glory to United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »

Oh, so it's going to be very difficult to take both demis and still potentially contest the scattered spire?
I'd definitely suggest sending a proper transport to the spire- maybe even an itshana standard for the advantage of speed.

In other news, I might need to round up all of the Words of God and put them in a spoiler...

For now, does anyone know if a revision of a finished product is possible / allows the unrevised product to still be produced?

Edit: So I've got a ton of designs swimming around my brain, but I'm assuming we'll want to push the cloudrunner ASAP?
Maybe 3d on the runner, 1d to potentially polish off the crossbow and 1d to save for revisions?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:57:59 pm by Tack »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:45 pm »

Edit: So I've got a ton of designs swimming around my brain, but I'm assuming we'll want to push the cloudrunner ASAP?
Maybe 3d on the runner, 1d to potentially polish off the crossbow and 1d to save for revisions?
Sounds good for a tentative plan, but we should plan our expenses for next turn carefully before we vote. (And even if we end up not using that revision die, it would carry over to next turn where it can be used to help react to any intel we get on the enemies tech.)

Remember Tack, an Itshana Small Core Crystal (which is our current biggest) needs six ore. It isn't going to be cheap, and I don't think we should splurge on that just yet, especially as it would leave us only 3 ore to split between progressing on the cloudrunner and gear for our marines.
Any Itshana Select crystals cost +X ore, where X is the crystal cost of said crystal.... It isn't easy on our ore...

(For the revision maybe see if we can get a variant on our crossbow that has all the fancy metal stuff removed... Not replaced, removed. Yes, it would be less effective (no auto-fire, but still probably roughly as strong), but it would only cost wood then... And we have a lot of that to play with.)

EDIT: Draignean, quick clarification question; I've been basing my plans on the 'budget' transports using a VS Itshana Core Crystal, but a S Normal Lift Crystal, would that work or would the lift crystal also have to be given the special treatment too? (Note everyone else, not the end of the plan if it does, just 3 less ore if so.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:21:44 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 187