Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150509 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2025 on: March 27, 2018, 10:57:46 am »

Smoke now has both Anguis and Viperidae undergoing refits, so the only corvette that's with the assault fleet is Causinae?

Edit: You could trade 2 ore, 4 tower shields, and 16 cutlasses for 8 witch-hunters. In my opinion that would be a good trade.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:00:36 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: March 27, 2018, 11:12:41 am »

Smoke now has both Anguis and Viperidae undergoing refits, so the only corvette that's with the assault fleet is Causinae?

Edit: You could trade 2 ore, 4 tower shields, and 16 cutlasses for 8 witch-hunters. In my opinion that would be a good trade.

We were told that the refits would not keep them grounded.

Also, trading the tower shields would leave them with zero defensive capabilities.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: March 27, 2018, 11:33:24 am »

That was specifically the upgrade to the new swivel mounts. Changing loadouts still requires a refit action, same as always.

So what if they have zero armour? 4 tower shields between 144 men is completely insignificant defense. Giving them more sniper weapons would do a lot more good. Sniping from behind cover and out of enemy range is a much more effective defense than plank of wood, and covering fire from snipers is a better defense in most cases than hiding behind a friend with a plank of wood. 8 snipers would affect the battle more than 4 shields.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: March 27, 2018, 12:21:23 pm »

Ok. I edited the refit actions once again.

I disagree about the tower shields though. It's unlikely they will have marine presence there, so the local resistance will be barricaded homes and riots. Snipers would be good in open combat against enemy squads, but riot shields and pistols are better when storming houses and controlling unruly mobs. The cutlasses are useful in this circumstance as well.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: March 27, 2018, 12:35:59 pm »

Fair enough. You have changed my mind about the relative merits of cutlasses and shields compared to crossbows in this specific situation.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:19 pm »

Three Captains

Inside the Spire
Our forces are desperately pressed for numbers, but they fight like demons. With the enemy removed from fortifications, they're able to inflict significant casualties with their remaining grenades and pistols. The Wrethans appear to still be trying to erect fortifications as they go, but they're currently using relatively flimsy wooden cover, which provides adequate visual cover and protection against bolts, but gets blown to shreds under sustained pistol fire.

The enemy rifles still inflict their losses on the shield bearers, which ripples back into the other ranks, but it's harder for them to get off clean barrages now that they don't have good fallback cover. They seem to be fouling increasingly often as well, reducing their efficacy against Kasgyrite counterfire from Witchhunters. A few final topaz grenades from slings inflict significant casualties on the enemy, and their cannons are still ineffective against will rotated shrouds, but the friendly numbers continue to dwindle.

Confirmed Kills: At least two squads of Wrethans
Losses: 50% of squad Beta.

Kasgyre has gained ground at the Three Captains

Blackstone

The skiff sent to watch Blackstone nearly ends up in an engagement with the assembled Wrethan fleet. It's barely able to avoid being seen, and spends the rest of its time in cloudcover, watching as civillian transports die and the Wrethan forces rake the demi-spire with aetherfire.

The Skiff reports an original force of four of the larger 10-gun vessels known colloquially as super-skiffs, as well as a force of ten skiffs. The skiffs move in tight pods, small groups that appear to follow distinct leader and attack together, while the larger vessels move in much looser cohesion. Communication between vessels appears to be limited, but they still do a fair job of hunting down civilian transports as they are launched.

The Spire's defense guns are taking a beating, but they're pushing back fiercely as well. Three of the enemies quick little skiffs have been destroyed by the guns, and one of the largely vessels has taken severe damage to its portside armor.

Confirmed Kills: Wrethan Skiff x3
Losses: Approximately a quarter of the spire's defense guns, All but 1 ore suppressed.

The Unfinished

Only one Wrethan ship is positioned at the Unfinished, a scout, but spotted by sheer luck as the fleet entered the area. It's brought down swiftly, and the pummeling of the Spire commences rapidly. Captains note that what few dockyards exist are crude, ramshackle things- lashed together and barely capable of supporting the crude civilian transports at harbor. A few pilots on close attack runs note a disturbing tendency for dock workers to literally throw themselves into the cannon blasts when possible, as well as a distinct lack of Wrethan uniforms on any of the individuals sighted.

The feeling of unease endemic to being around the Unfinished Spire comes to a head when the captain of the Anguis II begins shouting about a Wrethan ambush and begins signalling for an immediate rally to attack the ambushing vessel- which he identifies as the Causinae. For a tense moment, it seems like he's going to open fire on his sister-ship, but sufficient communication from all nearby vessels is able to eventually convince him to stand down. He continues, however, to rail on about the Wrethan eyes surrounding them, and that the Archangels themselves have given him a mission to pull their infiltrators from their hiding places. His crew seems similarly maddened, and the episode is, quite frankly, disturbing for all involved.

Shortly after the incident, when the fleet pulls back to regroup, a letter arrives. Not from Kasgyrite command, but from the unfinished spire. The writing is sharp and angular, the writer claims to be 'The Master of the Unfinished' and the message is to the effect that if the Kasgyrites would kindly disarm and surrender three squads of marines, the Master would immediately cease working for the Wrethans and furnish the full benefits of his cooperation to Kasgyre instead.

Confirmed Kills Numerous dockworkers, all of the Unfinished Spire's production
Damages: Anguis II is now Unhinged. All other vessels are Disturbed.

Burned Mountain

The skiff around the burned mountain reports that a Wrethan skiffed passed, coming from the direction of the unfinished. The One-Eyed Will reports that it was able to remain concealed behind the ash cloud, and that the enemy skiff is likely in the dark to any presence in the area.

Inside the Spire

The marines inside the Spire respond to the idea that they just construct a humidifier by inventing several new types of profanity. It would appear their time in the burned mountain has made them a bit more... hot blooded.

Spire Kasgyre

The Viperidae is upgraded, and the new Natalie and Transport (RKNV Ocker) come into service as planned. The Jupiter and the Dionysus load up on marines, preparing to push forwards. Two new squads of marines have been trained and stand ready for war.

Event: The Archangel

By great coincidence, two great artists, one of Kasgyre and one of Wreth, are unveiling a great work of art. Competition, kismet, or a certain sense of madness has caused both to name their piece of art 'The Archangel'.

Show me this piece of art. The winner will inspire a member of their design team great heights, enabling them to either make a project with no dice cost, or to have one turn where rushing projects does not introduce bugs.

It is now the beginning of the year 277 AR.

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
13(+10)/y Crystal, 22/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 16/85 banked
19/y Wood, 17/95 banked
10/y Silk, 23/50 banked

It is now the design and project maintenance phase. You have 5 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:09:55 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: March 27, 2018, 06:31:49 pm »

Quote from: Wood growth vat specialization
Stronger, easier to assemble ships are always desirable. The development of bronzewood is a fantastic step towards sturdy and cheap vessels. This design proposal is the next step. Currently wood is processed grown in vats, processed into planks and assembled into ship hulls. I purpose we eliminate the last two steps and grow most of the ship's hull directly in the vats in several large distinct pieces. This will require some very specialized and large growth vats in order to pull off. However if it is acheived it will remove a tremendous amount of the manufacturing and assembly overhead involved in ship production in exchange for increased establishing costs. In addition it will also make ship hulls considerably stronger by reducing the number of seams and joins and replacing it with solid bronzewoodf
If this goes well then I have further ideas that can build off of it such as living bronzewood ships-ships that have on-board tanks of nutrients and heal over time.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: March 27, 2018, 06:54:44 pm »

I think we ought to do 3 dice to lance crystals. If we finish it this turn we will get lance cannons for our spire side defences.

That leaves us 2 dice for revisions.
I would say at least 1 for a tactic revision, and 1 for something else.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: March 27, 2018, 07:02:00 pm »

I think we ought to do 3 dice to lance crystals. If we finish it this turn we will get lance cannons for our spire side defences.

That leaves us 2 dice for revisions.
I would say at least 1 for a tactic revision, and 1 for something else.
I agree.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: March 27, 2018, 07:17:09 pm »

That is a fantastic point. We can always do the vat thing later but this is a bit more time sensitive.
Quote from: votes
3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [1] Jerick

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: March 27, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »

That is a fantastic point. We can always do the vat thing later but this is a bit more time sensitive.
3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [2] Jerick, helmacon

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: March 27, 2018, 09:42:56 pm »

3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [3] Jerick, helmacon, Doomblade

Edit: we could also make it a 4, save 1. Better chance of completion, though it's not bad as is. We really want that lamce in service.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:49:15 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: March 27, 2018, 10:23:44 pm »

3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [4] Jerick, helmacon, Doomblade, NAV
Better to save more dice. Revisions are incredibly helpful compared to their resource and dice cost in this game.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: March 27, 2018, 11:30:00 pm »

3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [5] Jerick, helmacon, Doomblade, NAV, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: March 28, 2018, 12:42:45 am »

While completing the Topaz Lance Cannon is al good and well, I would argue for designing some kind of aether hazard suits t protect our soldiers from the mind altering efects of the Unfinished and the suffocting heat of the Burning Mountain. This glorious expedition might have been compromised by the Unfinished Spire effect and we can kind of need the resources.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 178