Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 178

Author Topic: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr  (Read 150485 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: War of the Cinder Spires | Spire Kasgyr
« Reply #2040 on: March 28, 2018, 01:59:34 am »

If that one spare die doesn't have a revision in mind for it, I'd prefer to spend it on the lance. Otherwise we're basically giving it make-work when we already have a real that needs doing.

Quote from: votes
3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [5] Jerick, helmacon, Doomblade, NAV, Rockeater
4 dice to lance crystals, save 1 die.  [1] Kashyyk

Also, it would seem that the Wreth dis not conquer TC after all, but instead bought the monster's loyalty. We don't have the strength to fight a bunch of monsters right now, but we could bribe them ourselves and both deprive Wreth of the resources and claim them ourselves.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: March 28, 2018, 05:49:19 am »

While completing the Topaz Lance Cannon is al good and well, I would argue for designing some kind of aether hazard suits t protect our soldiers from the mind altering efects of the Unfinished and the suffocting heat of the Burning Mountain. This glorious expedition might have been compromised by the Unfinished Spire effect and we can kind of need the resources.
While that might be a good project to work on a little down the line right at this moment it won't be a good idea for several reasons.
  • The plan is for our forces to be moving away from UF this turn. Protection from the UF madness will not be of benefit for them right now
  • Equipping hazard suits would require our forces to return to home, which means abandoning what we are doing
  • The fact that it seems that there is some form of intelligence behind the madness suggests to me that it is something more psychic based than contaminate based. If the madness was based on some form of material contamination making protection would be simple but since we have no clue about the principles and rules this entities abilities operate by it is unlikely we can develop working protection. (Though it might be worth it to open research into psychic abilities in our populace, we might be able to find defenses if we can find something we can learn and study that won't drive us mad)
  • Our home spire is practically undefended with a large Wreth fleet at one of our Demi spires and our forces away. If we research the Lance cannon it will instantly be equipped to the spires dock guns for free. This will give us a bit more defense this turn if it turns out we need it

If that one spare die doesn't have a revision in mind for it, I'd prefer to spend it on the lance. Otherwise we're basically giving it make-work when we already have a real that needs doing.
Well I think we need a tactics revision to help us deal with their spire guns better and a scorched earth tactics revision to ensure we do significant damage to their infrastructure even if we are repelled.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: March 28, 2018, 06:17:49 am »

We've not actually witnessed the Strafe Infrastructure tactic used against Wreth yet, it's quite possible that it does better against spire guns than a standard anti-fleet tactic would. Similarly, we don't know if it does lasting damage to the economy either. Although, this is something we should know, because in game we would know exactly what's getting shot. Draig, care to weigh in?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: March 28, 2018, 09:06:38 am »

We've not actually witnessed the Strafe Infrastructure tactic used against Wreth yet, it's quite possible that it does better against spire guns than a standard anti-fleet tactic would. Similarly, we don't know if it does lasting damage to the economy either. Although, this is something we should know, because in game we would know exactly what's getting shot. Draig, care to weigh in?

Strafing infrastructure can only do lasting damage to production additions, and only after destroying most a spire's defenses. It will be more effective at taking out guns than a standard anti-fleet tactic.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: March 28, 2018, 09:26:01 am »

That's what I was hoping.

I don't think we need to save that die for an anti-spire tactic. I also think we should move our fleet back to Kasgyre, which means we don't need a Scorched Earth tactic yet. I do think we should sacrifice the marines on Dionysis to this "Master" though.

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: March 28, 2018, 11:10:23 am »

3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [5] Jerick, helmacon, Doomblade, NAV, Rockeater
4 dice to lance crystals, save 1 die.  [2] Kashyyk, Wizgrot

My guess is that instead of continuing with this expedition, we are going to go to Blackstone to kill the Blockading fleet after refitting along the way our ships with the new Lance crystals, right?

I would rather get the project done, and bank one die to improve the reheating in our cannons or the accuracy of our mounts. We can´t afford to have this unfinished and we may get lucky and get a die refunded if we achieve sufficient score with the first three.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: March 28, 2018, 11:37:43 am »

We have great mounts,we got them from last revision
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: March 28, 2018, 12:08:09 pm »

2 revisions I want. Don't have time to fluff them well right now. Anyone else is welcome.

Lance cannon cooling
We need to figure out a cooling method for the lance cannon crystal that doesn't cause it to crack like water does. We should try various different liquids instead such as oil, ethanol, crystal vat liquid, blood, sweat, milk, etc... just anything we can think of that we can gather in large enough quantities.
If none of the liquids work, try wrapping the crystal in copper wire and trailing many copper wires down to a water tank.
As a last resort try just pointing a hand operated bellows at it to increase airflow.
Pretty much just brute force attempt all the simple non-water cooling methods we can think of in attempt to find one that works.

More Topaz Cannons
Dear Princess Natalie,

I know it is your right to create whatever you desire out of Royal Topaz, and not my place to complain. However could you please consider making more cannons out of Royal Topaz? Our Vipers are fully outfitted with topaz lift, trim, and shrouds yet they still rely on ancient vanilla kettleguns for most of their cannons. If we had more topaz kettleguns we could pack more firepower into each corvette and blast those Wreth ships to smithereens. Topaz versions of the brand new lance cannons would be even better, and more topaz vanguard cannons would let us build one of those all vanguard vipers.

Please don't make any of those mini-vanguards. Those are useless.

Thank You, Cassius Theodore Brassington IV, Shipwright
For the Queen and for Kasgyre!
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: March 28, 2018, 02:16:50 pm »

3 dice to lance crystals, save 2 dice. [6] Jerick, helmacon, Doomblade, NAV, Rockeater, banelord
4 dice to lance crystals, save 1 die.  [2] Kashyyk, Wizgrot

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: March 28, 2018, 02:47:56 pm »

Lance Crystals
Progress: 25/25 (2,5,2)

The lance crystal research finishes, a little sadly for the engineers, who at last are forced to admit that the technology is ready for action and they can't keep fooling around with it in the name of 'quality testing'. Still, they're ready to go if you ever wanted a bigger one, or something else big that shoots.

Spire Kasgyre's Production stands at
13(+10)/y Crystal, 13/115 Banked
17/y Ore, 16/85 banked
19/y Wood, 17/95 banked
10/y Silk, 23/50 banked

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 dice to spend.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Goods Stockpile (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Infantry (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:35:06 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: March 28, 2018, 03:36:06 pm »

I've been thinking further on ship armour, and i reckon a rough, conductive metal plate backed with high-heat ceramics is probably our best bet.

Draig: What sort of resources can we expect ceramics to come under? I'm guessing a mix of wood and ore.

Anyway, I didn't realise our lance cannon is small! That's awesome. The issue is of course the cooling. Here's a few ideas:

Quote from: Submerged Crystals
The main issue with the lance is that it cracks on contact with water.if it were permanently submerged in coolant, it would not suffer the thermal shock from being doused in water. This may make the beam weaker and slower to charge but that's an acceptable pay off for a higher rate of fire.

Quote from: Open Air Lance
Part of the issue of cooling the lance crystal is that it is lodged in the centre of a block of metal. If the structure of the cannon is reworked to allow air to flow over the crystals, the mere act of maneuvering the ship will keep them cool. This will obviously be less effective for stationary ships and spire guns.

Quote from: Crystal Cycling
Instead of bothering to improve the cooling on our crystals, we just use multiple crystals and cycle through them. Simple, but expensive.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: March 28, 2018, 04:09:25 pm »

The second one sounds good
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: March 28, 2018, 04:36:06 pm »

I've been thinking further on ship armour, and i reckon a rough, conductive metal plate backed with high-heat ceramics is probably our best bet.

Draig: What sort of resources can we expect ceramics to come under? I'm guessing a mix of wood and ore.

Primarily ore, with your additives generally coming from either wood or more ore.
---

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:32 pm »

Combine open air cooling with some fan or bellows and we have a good thing. No reason to rely on the maneuvering of the ship to provide air flow. A good ducted fan would provide much more than ship maneuvering.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: March 29, 2018, 06:28:52 am »

Quote from: Navel Tactic; Blockade running
With the Wrethian forces at our door step it becomes necessary to get supplies and possibly troops through enemy blockades. This is a tactic designed to accomplish this. The transports sneak in low in the mists and release their Dinghies as far from the spire as they reasonably can. The dinghies then make their way to separate entrances into the spire in order to minimize the risk of being spotted. If possible vessels that are scouting use signal flashers or other forms of signalling to keep the the ships using this tactic updated on the positions and movements of enemy blockading ships.

Quote from: Infantry Tactic; Scorched Earth
This tactic involves instructing our forces to destroy infrastructure and anything the enemy could use to make the area more habitable as they retreat. Water sources are to be poisoned, shipyards broken, factories leveled, tunnels weakened and collapsed, food sources burnt. Another aspect of this tactic is to try and block air flow out of the besieged area using anything at hand. This coupled with large fires should cause significant smoke problems for the enemy.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 178