Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Stillborn Gods | D&D 3.5 Forum Thread (Roll20, Almost Not Not Dead)  (Read 10207 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Interested. Should be cleanly available 21:00-~02:00 (GMT-5) pretty much whenever, but can make it a few hours earlier without too much trouble (especially if you don't mind me wandering off to find food). I can show up earlier with less difficulty Thursday and Friday, and later Friday and Saturday.

Anyway I hate everything I've ever written so I should probably post it now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

-I have no idea what I should be doing here, what do wizards spend money on again? Wands? Rings of protection? Assorted magical doohickies of questionable utility?

Enjoy!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of making an Elan Psion. I'll have to look into psionics a bit more (and figure out what vampires would make of a biologically-immortal aberration).

Unspeakably flavorful, and a bit disconcerting. Vampire's like thinking that their immortal makes them intrinsically superior, hence why the group most of their Kine races into the heading of 'mortal'. Elan, being immortal, are something of a wrench in the clockwork. Elan need very little, which makes them very difficult for the necrocracy to control, and that makes them dangerous. Elan have always been a bit secretive about what they are, and the current state of affairs has changed very little about that secrecy.

The only problem is that their wealth of experience can lead to problems during the Tasting. It's a manageable problem if you're less than two centuries old, the gourmands don't exactly get details when they feed, but if you lived through the fall of the mortal empires and witnessed the rise of the Necrocracy... Well, that tends to leave a rather distinctive flavor profile.

Can you tell where I am going with this? :D :D :D

Hell.

Tentatively interested, depending on the books allowed, mostly seeing if the book of nine swords would be legal rules-wise here as one of my character ideas (Or several of them) relies on the classes in the book.

Tentatively, yes. The Tome of Battle is OK. However, it means I'll have to have a bit more care talking to people who want to build melee-ish characters.

I like the Tome of Battle because it lets might get on a slightly more even keel with magic, but it's also one of those things that's easy to run away with on both sides. Including the book means that vampires who originally specced into the Duelist prestige class (which is awful) to represent bored centuries of honing martial skill will instead be studying much deadlier abilities.

Ah, one thing on that front: Do not build towards a Ruby Knight Vindicator.

Interested. Should be cleanly available 21:00-~02:00 (GMT-5) pretty much whenever, but can make it a few hours earlier without too much trouble (especially if you don't mind me wandering off to find food). I can show up earlier with less difficulty Thursday and Friday, and later Friday and Saturday.

Anyway I hate everything I've ever written so I should probably post it now.

Fun! We'll probably be working on constructs a bit, since there are so many interesting things you can do with that feat. Who knows, maybe a daring cutebold kobold innovator is just what the Necrocracy needs to precipitate another labor revolution! As far as vermin effigies go, that seems fine.

In the OP, it's mentioned that you have an addition 600 xp on top of being level 6. If you want to create magic items (including effigies) before the game starts, you use that pool. As for how much you spend that's on you. Logically speaking you'll want a fairly decent construct for personal defense, something akin to what a melee class might spend on weapons and armor.

A blank spellbook is in the PH as costing 15gp, so I guess you get a discount on paper when you buy in bulk.

As far as things to spend money on, try looking into the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium book. There's a metric crapton of useful items in there. I should probably add it to the OP books actually. And the spell compendium. So many things.

Bookkeeping Notes
Added a few books to the list.
Added one house rule that I've been doing for so long I forgot it existed.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

How do you feel about Warforged, Draig?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Draignean:

RE: autohypnosis

Given the amount of "pure filth" that a gourmand will have to taste during the yearly tasting, it is likely that this position is a third circle (or lower!) position in vampire society. As such, I would expect them to be less acquainted with abuses of hypnotism. Also, Wilder gets "volatile mind" feature at higher levels. The description neatly covers somebody with an unstable emotional mind, which is what I think you are suggesting as the consequence. It is a natural outcome of that kind of character build. Somebody who has made a career of artificially making themselves less palatable so as to only be considered useful for oddjobs, (and thus evade detection for certain criminal acts, like elopement) by abusing autohypnosis to make themselves TRULY BELIEVE a fantasy alterego is their true self for a short time would naturally end up creating a very volatile mind indeed. Since the subject truly believes the fantasy that is meditated on for autohypnosis prior to the tasting, the gourmand will taste the artifical personality construct, instead of the real personality. If there is a reasonable explanation for tasting artificial (eg, "I get routinely brain-wiped for security reasons. The Lordship is very particular to assure certain things do not end up as court intrigue, and has assured that i am INCAPABLE of speaking about them, even under torture.") then it can be overlooked as a political courtesy, and thus-- can be abused for a character of the type I am envisioning.

Does this sound like an acceptable loophole?

Volatile Mind (Ex): A wilder’s temperamental mind is
hard to encompass with the discipline of telepathy. When
any telepathy power is manifested on a wilder of 5th level or
higher, the manifester of the power must pay 1 power point
more than he otherwise would have spent.
The extra cost is not a natural part of that power’s cost.
It does not augment the power; it is simply a wasted power
point. The wilder’s volatile mind can force the manifester of
the telepathy power to exceed the normal power point limit
of 1 point per manifester level. If the extra cost raises the
telepathy power’s cost to more points than the manifester
has remaining in his reserve, the power simply fails, and the
manifester exhausts the rest of his power points.
At 9th level, the penalty assessed against telepathy pow-
ers manifested on a wilder is increased to 2 power points. At
13th level, the penalty increases to 3 power points, and at 17th
level it increases to 4 power points.
As a standard action, a wilder can choose to lower this
effect for 1 round (in the event, for instance, that a friend
attempts to manifest a benefi cial telepathy power on her).

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Question for Draignean: How do Necropolitans fit into this setting?

Second Question for Draignean: What tier should your players optimize for (in this particular game)?

-I have no idea what I should be doing here, what do wizards spend money on again? Wands? Rings of protection? Assorted magical doohickies of questionable utility?
I recommend taking a look at the Lists [sic] of Essential Magic Items.

Oh, and if anybody needs help building a character, I could probably help.

Finally, I remember someone mentioning that they're going to play a Psionic character. My advice for that is this: Remember the number one rule of Psionics: You cannot spend more PP on a power (base+any augmentations that you're using) than your ML (without effects that specifically state otherwise).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ATHATH:

See his spoilered section on "Mechanics".  It gives a quick gloss-over on necropolitan society, including how the necrocrats are organized.

I intend to play a psionic character, but the character actually HATES being psionic (kinda-- actually, does everything possible to avoid having that label.) As such, focuses mainly on non-psionic skills and feats, except for the required ones that he gets just from leveling up. Is FORCED to use certain ones to evade being detected, like autohypnosis, and volatile mind. Otherwise, is basically a fighter with clairsensory, and a lot of oddball craft skills. I fully expect this to be a challenging to play character.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:53:14 pm by wierd »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I recommend taking a look at the Lists [sic] of Essential Magic Items.
Ew. Becoming immune to status effects and gravity is maybe a little more powergamey than I was after.

Well alright, I was thinking about becoming immune to gravity, but only because amber amulet is a neat item and giant bee effigies have a flight speed of 80 ft.

See his spoilered section on "Mechanics".  It gives a quick gloss-over on necropolitan society, including how the necrocrats are organized.
It is pretty sparse on the exact role of the Necropolitan template specifically, though. For instance, can anyone do it? Do you have to pay out the remaining estimated value of your lifetime's blood to somebody? Do they enjoy higher status by default? Lower, as they no longer have any innate value (ie product)?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, this is sufficiently confusing that I would like some handholding on character generation.

I looked for a convenient character generator script, and found one:
http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

but it is being a bastard about my intrinsic class skills, and wont let me pick them.

For reference, the roll I got was surprisingly good...
11 ,13, 17, 17, 16, 10

and I want to allocate it this way:

17 cha
17 int
16 con
13 wis
11 dex
10 str

with a male half-elf, with neutral good alignment, moving down the wilder psion path.

In addition to the class feats, I want to take craft (knitting/spinning/clothesmaking), craft (brew potion?), craft (simple item?)  knowledge (nature), knowledge (nobility), speak language (elven), deft hands, knowledge (architecture,engineering), knowledge (geography), survival, and some others.

Can one point me to a good generator that actually works properly?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The issue with a lot of generators is that once you're done you'll want to move them to a proper character sheet (even if you don't care about it now, having a proper sheet makes life a lot easier as you go though the game and your character grows and changes) which is about as much work as just manually making the character as you fill out the character sheet anyway. So I honestly just suggest making a mythweavers sheet and filling it out. There's plenty of people who'd help you along with that if you want as well I'm sure. Either on the forum or real time on discord.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I can do that. I have some blank charsheet templates floating around actually. Dunno if I have a psion one though,

EDIT:

The internet is nice. I found a WOtC branded blank Wilder charsheet online.  Character portrait is square too-- about the right size for pixel art. I can make this look damned nice. (Having innate skills is nice.)

OK-- Dumb question time--

Elves dont sleep-- whats your take on half-elves and sleeping Draignean?  Do they sleep? Do they sleep half the needed amount of a human? Do they sleep like a human? I ask because the player handbook just says they get the immunity to magic sleep that humans get.

I intend to have one of the oddball craft choices of my character be a "thing he does at night to unwind", namely knitting/crochet. (carries 1 medium size hook, and a 100ft spool of linen twine. weaksauce 10lb test, coarse quality stuff. Not even bleached or dyed.) He does not actually produce anything to keep with this skill (except when it is actually needed)-- unravels whatever he was working on and respools the thread before morning; it is just a quirk. Since nothing actually gets created, it shouldn't really cost him nightly XP, it is just part of his 'relaxation' regimen. Something boring and methodical to soothe his mind. Has a very high craft skill with it though if he wants to actually make something to keep, but usually, NO. I am thinking 2 ranks in craft item (knit/crochet/spin yarn) There is nothing special about the items created this way. They are just ordinary knitted/crochet items.  If taken realistically (actually working on a project), creating a simple project (a pair of shoes, or gloves, for instance-- nothing fancy, but functional and silly looking) should take all night, but bigger items (knapsack, bedroll, shirt, etc..) should take a week. REALLY big things like blankets, should take a month, iirc. (Personal experience. This assumes DEDICATED effort. Small hand tools are slow and methodical to use. Slower if he has to make the yarn. Requires distaff and wool combs if making yarn. He does not carry those.)

More useful skill, craft (braid rope) is related, and should get a synergy.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 11:42:39 pm by wierd »

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile

I've got the character sheet all set up on MythWeavers, and I am thinking of doing a Grey Elf Wizard, I just need a little bit of time to set the character sheet up and the backstory as well, would that be alright?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mythweavers does not like my yahoo email address. I suppose I could give them a gmail address, but I give out the yahoo address for a reason. (because yahoo gets so much spam already, I feel if people want it for selfish reasons, they can just add to that tidalwave that I keep bottled up and far away from my serious accounts like everyone else. Mythweavers seems to disagree.)

Is there something special about using one of their character sheets, vs using a laminated paper one and a dry erase pen? I happen to have the necessary thermal laminator.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile

I believe it's gonna be on discord and it would be presumably handy if other plays can see it.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8