Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Stillborn Gods | D&D 3.5 Forum Thread (Roll20, Almost Not Not Dead)  (Read 10196 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Mythweavers does not like my yahoo email address. I suppose I could give them a gmail address, but I give out the yahoo address for a reason. (because yahoo gets so much spam already, I feel if people want it for selfish reasons, they can just add to that tidalwave that I keep bottled up and far away from my serious accounts like everyone else. Mythweavers seems to disagree.)

Is there something special about using one of their character sheets, vs using a laminated paper one and a dry erase pen? I happen to have the necessary thermal laminator.

Mythweavers is the standard for character sheets because you can put them up on the internet and fairly easily make them available to the DM for up-to-date checking. If you can find another resource that does it you should be in just as good a shape. There's several kinds knocking around if I recall, but the Mythweavers sheet for D&D is pretty great (unlike their abysmal World of Darkness ones) and does the job better than, say, the Roll20 integrated sheet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Would some kind soul offer recommendations for a psion's discipline? The ludicrous damage of psychokinesis is quite appealing, but the other disciplines offer all sorts of fun powers that appear to have more utility (or are just plain cool).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

How do you feel about Warforged, Draig?

IIRC, warforged were mostly a part of the Eberron setting as magical AI soldiers.

I'm leaning no, since there was never a real reason for their creation. If they existed, they would have been created during the war that ended with the Necrocracy in power and the Mortal Kingdoms subjugated. Those that remain would be the last of their kind, the secrets of their creation long since lost. Again, I'm leaning no, but you can still try to convince me.
Draignean:

RE: autohypnosis

Given the amount of "pure filth" that a gourmand will have to taste during the yearly tasting, it is likely that this position is a third circle (or lower!) position in vampire society. As such, I would expect them to be less acquainted with abuses of hypnotism. Also, Wilder gets "volatile mind" feature at higher levels. The description neatly covers somebody with an unstable emotional mind, which is what I think you are suggesting as the consequence. It is a natural outcome of that kind of character build. Somebody who has made a career of artificially making themselves less palatable so as to only be considered useful for oddjobs, (and thus evade detection for certain criminal acts, like elopement) by abusing autohypnosis to make themselves TRULY BELIEVE a fantasy alterego is their true self for a short time would naturally end up creating a very volatile mind indeed. Since the subject truly believes the fantasy that is meditated on for autohypnosis prior to the tasting, the gourmand will taste the artifical personality construct, instead of the real personality. If there is a reasonable explanation for tasting artificial (eg, "I get routinely brain-wiped for security reasons. The Lordship is very particular to assure certain things do not end up as court intrigue, and has assured that i am INCAPABLE of speaking about them, even under torture.") then it can be overlooked as a political courtesy, and thus-- can be abused for a character of the type I am envisioning.

Does this sound like an acceptable loophole?

Huh, that is an interesting take on the volatile mind. I'm rather taken with it.

Gourmand is a class that exists in all circles. It is a good point, the drudgery of tasting most Kine (while hardly filth), is not something the second circle  (much less the first) would trouble themselves with. Gourmands would exist in higher circles, and they would likely 'specialize' in working with the highest vints- like the blood of Talents.

Alright, I'm convinced. As long as you play him with that sort of mental instability, and a self-mutilated history, I shouldn't have major problems.

"I get routinely brain-wiped for security reasons" is a great excuse. I might have to use that in real life.

Second Question for Draignean: What tier should your players optimize for (in this particular game)?

Always I question that hate answering, because It's not usually how I think. I'd rather not have to pull out all the stops in order to prevent T1 shenanigans, so you're probably looking for something in the 3 range.

So, hyper-optimization is not required,  but Samurai are probably still a bad idea. Due to the nature of the setting, I should be able to throw enough of a wrench in the plans of most magic users to keep the T1s in line, and there are a couple of decent built-in checks for CoDzillas as well.

As stated, I'm not a powergamer. I like interesting and peculiar designs, with efficacy as a secondary concern.

It is pretty sparse on the exact role of the Necropolitan template specifically, though. For instance, can anyone do it? Do you have to pay out the remaining estimated value of your lifetime's blood to somebody? Do they enjoy higher status by default? Lower, as they no longer have any innate value (ie product)?
Question for Draignean: How do Necropolitans fit into this setting?

To address both at once... Necropolitans lose the intrinsic value of being alive, yet are still subject to the tax. They have to pay, exactly as though they were alive, but they no longer have a guaranteed method of payment.

Now, as to the theoretical value of your expected vint yield, that can be solved two ways. If you can pay the, likely exorbitant, estimated value of your lifetime yield, can afford the ritual to become a Necropolitan, and you get approved to undertake the ritual, you've essentially bought your freedom and become a member of the lowest circle of the Necrocracy. However, unless you're already quite decrepit, your expected yield is likely to be astronomical as your lifetime blood yield is also factored by your potential children out to two degrees. Even then, if you're a very old mortal who can't possibly have any more children AND you're wealthy enough to afford whatever is left in you, AND and the ritual itself, there's still that niggle about getting approved. Every petition to become a necropolitan is evaluated against an individuals connections and abilities. If it would be a better idea to simply let a wealthy mortal die and liquidate their assets in order to foster a new generation of competive Rathe and Talents, then thee necrocracy has no compunctions about denying an individual immortality.

The second method I mentioned is to find a sponsor, a member of the necrocracy who can perform the ritual and is willing to take on an individual's debt. This is considerably easier than the first method, as it doesn't make you a member of the necrocracy by default, but rather you are transformed from a valued mortal resource to a valued immortal resource. Most Necropolitans who govern hinterlands or work plantations are of this latter group, acting as extension of one vampire another, but still uttery bound by their debt.

Ok, this is sufficiently confusing that I would like some handholding on character generation.

I looked for a convenient character generator script, and found one:
http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

but it is being a bastard about my intrinsic class skills, and wont let me pick them.

For reference, the roll I got was surprisingly good...
11 ,13, 17, 17, 16, 10

and I want to allocate it this way:

17 cha
17 int
16 con
13 wis
11 dex
10 str

with a male half-elf, with neutral good alignment, moving down the wilder psion path.

In addition to the class feats, I want to take craft (knitting/spinning/clothesmaking), craft (brew potion?), craft (simple item?)  knowledge (nature), knowledge (nobility), speak language (elven), deft hands, knowledge (architecture,engineering), knowledge (geography), survival, and some others.

Can one point me to a good generator that actually works properly?

Alright, I hate to do this, but I did put it in the OP. If you want to roll stats, I give you the six numbers, otherwise you use the 32 point buy. That is a great roll, no weaknesses at all, but it's not valid.

As for craft skills... Brew potion is a feat, and it doesn't require a craft check. Performing alchemy technically requires you to have caster levels, but I will ignore that at the drop of a hat as long as the potions are in no way magically augmented by the creator. Craft: simple item is a bit too vague for my taste. What kind of simple items? Houseware? Metal? Stone? Wood? Although, now that I'm reading it, you seem to have amalgamated your feats/skills/and bonus languages into the same group, so I have no idea which is which. I'll give it another look when its a bit more organized into feats/skills/other.

OK-- Dumb question time--

Elves dont sleep-- whats your take on half-elves and sleeping Draignean?  Do they sleep? Do they sleep half the needed amount of a human? Do they sleep like a human? I ask because the player handbook just says they get the immunity to magic sleep that humans get.

Not a dumb question, a very old and good question. See, Half-Elves are immune to sleep effects, but they are not immune to the Nightmare spell, which has a number of rather interesting implications.

Here's my take on it: Half-Elves still trance, it's not as controlled as an elvish trance. You'll still dream when you're in a trance state, and you can be affected by dream manipulating spells, but you get the benefit of a shorter and more controllable sleep period.
I intend to have one of the oddball craft choices of my character be a "thing he does at night to unwind", namely-
I don't care if Profession is a near-univeral class skill, you can't take se-
knitting/crochet.
Oh. Right.

Knitting is an excellent example of a quirk skill. I approve.

Mythweavers does not like my yahoo email address. I suppose I could give them a gmail address, but I give out the yahoo address for a reason. (because yahoo gets so much spam already, I feel if people want it for selfish reasons, they can just add to that tidalwave that I keep bottled up and far away from my serious accounts like everyone else. Mythweavers seems to disagree.)

Is there something special about using one of their character sheets, vs using a laminated paper one and a dry erase pen? I happen to have the necessary thermal laminator.

Since it's on Roll20, I'd much prefer to have your character sheets on hand for quick reference.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Might as well join the PTW bandwagon myself. I've been following this thread for a bit, and being notified of new posts when they happen is better than constantly checking.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about Binders that have bound themselves to Naberius, thus gaining the ability to heal one point of ability drain per hour?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, possibly relevant (has some spelling/grammar issues, but still a great campaign log): http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?245994-City-State-of-the-Enigmatic-Overgnome-Recap
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about Binders that have bound themselves to Naberius, thus gaining the ability to heal one point of ability drain per hour?

That actually brings up an interesting point to address, which is the magical healing of ability drain and the consumption of blood.

Normal magical healing infuses positive energy, and if there's one good way to ruin a vampire's meal, it's to infuse it with positive energy.

As far as Naberius, we're getting into the same territory as blood generation by meat puppet. While the blood may be in your body, it hasn't had time to properly soak up you, and thus probably tastes strongly of dark magic. While that might be a positive for some vamps, it's a damn good way to end up getting put in a gilded cage.

The Necropoli have their economies set up to reinforce the subjugation of the cattle and to make feeding an easy affair. Individuals who do not fit within that economy have the tendency to vanish.

Moot point on the latter, since the tome of magic is not accepted.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know I'm not playing, but since we're talking about positive energy, how does the Necrocracy view healing magic. From reading discord I understand that cleric's are kept under close watch, but are they allowed to heal people? Or does that taint the blood too much for it to be worthwhile? If healing is banned, how long would the taint last if someone were to try to use an illegal source of healing? What if someone tried filling themselves with an equivalent amount of negative energy in order to compensate for the positive energy?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Ok D,

How's this sound for a consequence for my unique abuse of auto hypnosis?

For every autohypno roll taken, roll 1d6. For a single value of that d6, player unconsciously assumes the alter-ego instead of being in control, as a result of using the ability primarily to evade detection. The value used is DM discretion. All other values mean the character stays in control and does not suffer the MPD episode. Similar check happens on being psionically attacked, or contacted via telepathy.

When initiating wild surge, for every rank of this ability add one more value roll to the trigger list (DM choice), maxing out at 3 values. (50% chance).

The alter-ego is purposefully kept at lv1 (except for HP calc), and only has basic proficiencies. (Eg, surge may succeed, but then character does not know what to do next, or how they got there, or why people keep calling them $charname, when their name is Tim.) Alter ego may gain XP, but never levels up, and cannot buy skills or feats. When in battle, the alter ego believes it is having another terrible nightmare, and tries to wake up. Being undisciplined, DM discretion on method and success rate for reinstatement of primary ego is the rule. Attempts to reinstate primary ego should be a std action, and should incur attack of opportunity.

That is probably giving you too much reign, but should make for interesting play. If you want, you can control 'Tim'. The whole point of this construction is that the PC does not have control, so if you want to exercise that, I'm game.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, ah, what the heck have the forces of the Upper Planes been doing this whole time? Twiddling their thumbs? Getting invaded? In an uneasy truce/ceasefire with the necrocracy?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, ah, what the heck have the forces of the Upper Planes been doing this whole time? Twiddling their thumbs? Getting invaded? In an uneasy truce/ceasefire with the necrocracy?

The Gods do not interfere directly, if you've got a great deal of knowledge religion you might know why, but the long short of it is that they don't. They're still there. Doing the best they can to help out the few who still erect ramshackle altars to their name. Clerics of the Good gods do still rise up spontaneously in the necropoli, but they rarely get higher than level 3 before getting discovered and brought to a messy end.

Clerics of Evil and neutral gods are more accepted, IF they choose to channel negative energy. We talked about this a bit in the Discord, but it's always a careful balancing act of control when the Rebuke ability comes into play. Evil clerics are useful instruments indeed, but dangerous if they can be turned on their masters.

The heroes of prophecy were meant to be their mortal instruments. They were meant to be the force that set all this right and averted a crisis before it began. That didn't work out.

---

Hinoyumi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm crafting a character to join. After much debate, I've settled down with a raptoran sword sage, mortal talent assassin to some as yet undetermined necrocrat. I find I've got enough intelligence for another language. What language do the necrocrats use? Or the First circle? Or any other suggestions for what languages might make the Talent's life easier?
In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile

Can I have a link to the discord?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

It's in the first post:

This is a link to a discord channel to facilitate said geeking out and kicking characters around.

Don't blame you for missing it, I did too the first three times I read that post and even now when I knew where to look it took me a minute.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8