Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Stillborn Gods | D&D 3.5 Forum Thread (Roll20, Almost Not Not Dead)  (Read 10209 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile

Although i'm interested in this I have no idea about, well, anything. Timezone differences can be negated (despite 5-6 hours difference i'm free most of the time and can change my sleep pattern) but I have never done anything of this kind, lots of rules to go through etc.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye here though.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Would people be interested in me going through my process for making characters, as an example?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you would like Draignean, you could make a discord server and I can help people with character creation rules as well.  I personally have copies of all the 3.5e books to reference so I can even go through them page by page with new people.
Nom nom nom

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

There already is a discord, kilakan:
This is a link to a discord channel to facilitate said geeking out and kicking characters around.

Don't blame you for missing it, I did too the first three times I read that post and even now when I knew where to look it took me a minute.
[/quote]
Love, scriver~

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh whoops, thanks
Nom nom nom

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Alright, I did some thinking about what to do with my Elan backstory-wise and I came up with something that will hopefully be acceptable:

He's been around for a very long time. In fact, he caught some inklings of the coming Necrocracy before it all came crashing down. He didn't want to risk getting hunted down by a bunch of undead freaks who didn't want to share immortality (or capture him to serve as some sort of exotic blood bank), so he enacted a rather desperate survival plan:

He had himself and some of his most valuable possessions locked away in a secret location. No food, no water, no direct contact with the outside world other than an air supply. By using his innate psionic abilities, he kept himself completely sustained as he studied, planned, and plotted. The few that knew of him soon either perished or forgot.

Periodically (like once a generation or so, tops), he would venture out of his hidey-hole in order to gather information on the new world.

I...haven't actually figured out how he'd do that just yet. I'm sorta tempted to take advantage of that houserule about taking skills for fluff (probably things like Sneak or Disguise), but psions get very few skill points and needing to max out two non-essential skills would be rough. I'm also very ignorant on what this LA+1 nonsense is about and how I would even go about doing it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

LA stands for Level Adjustment, and it's just a number you tack onto your "real" level to get your effective level. So for instance, Tieflings have an LA of +1, meaning a Level 2 Tiefling Wizard would for xp and wealth purposes be treated as a Level 3 character. Ogres have an LA of +2, but also 4 racial HD (or four levels of the Ogre/Monstrous Humanoid class, if you want to think of it that way), so a Level 1 Ogre Barbarian would be equivalent to a Level 7 character.

So to take advantage of Draig's offer, you need a +LA race or template in the first place.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know I'm not playing, but since we're talking about positive energy, how does the Necrocracy view healing magic. From reading discord I understand that cleric's are kept under close watch, but are they allowed to heal people? Or does that taint the blood too much for it to be worthwhile? If healing is banned, how long would the taint last if someone were to try to use an illegal source of healing? What if someone tried filling themselves with an equivalent amount of negative energy in order to compensate for the positive energy?

Missed this earlier.

Yes, healing is allowed. The cattle need to be kept healthy in order to be optimally productive. Cure disease is far too useful a spell to prohibit, as are the cure wounds class of spells. The Kine cannot be allowed to suffer misery and spoil their flavor in the long term, not when a magical solution is so readily available.

The positive energy surge from healing is brief and fades relatively rapidly, likely within a week. Cure wounds and cure disease spells thus require only a temporary injunction against providing blood, which usually only forces the cattle to miss an ability to be bled once or twice. However, if you're trying to use Restoration to restore constitution to bled cattle, you're souring their taste for longer than it would take them to regenerate naturally.

Positive energy magic is controlled, and you likely have to fill out paperwork detailing how you got injured when you go to the doctor/cleric/etc (not to mention paying for the healing and additional fees while missing out on an opportunity or two to sell your blood), but it's too useful to simply ban altogether. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:33:36 pm by Harry Baldman »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WIP

Drai, any thoughts on the possible backstory I posted before?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I did some thinking about what to do with my Elan backstory-wise and I came up with something that will hopefully be acceptable:

He's been around for a very long time. In fact, he caught some inklings of the coming Necrocracy before it all came crashing down. He didn't want to risk getting hunted down by a bunch of undead freaks who didn't want to share immortality (or capture him to serve as some sort of exotic blood bank), so he enacted a rather desperate survival plan:

He had himself and some of his most valuable possessions locked away in a secret location. No food, no water, no direct contact with the outside world other than an air supply. By using his innate psionic abilities, he kept himself completely sustained as he studied, planned, and plotted. The few that knew of him soon either perished or forgot.

Periodically (like once a generation or so, tops), he would venture out of his hidey-hole in order to gather information on the new world.

I...haven't actually figured out how he'd do that just yet. I'm sorta tempted to take advantage of that houserule about taking skills for fluff (probably things like Sneak or Disguise), but psions get very few skill points and needing to max out two non-essential skills would be rough. I'm also very ignorant on what this LA+1 nonsense is about and how I would even go about doing it.

I'm fine with this background. Basically one guy in a fallout shelter, playing Jenga for two centuries while occasionally checking to see how bad the radiation us.

As far as fluff skills, it's a rule that they can't be intrinsically immediately useful (unless they're used to a borderline pathologic degree). Move silently is just too useful used for the requirement, as is disguise. Think about what this guy did for two centuries to stay sane while locked in a tiny box. Sculpt? Paint? Practice the Arch-Lute? Write Poetry? Raise exotic species of wall mold?

Still, that's not really a problem if you don't pick up some template that comes with an LA.

Excellent as ever. I see no problems with this, only possibilities.

---

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I decided not to go that route after all. Instead, I'm imagining that he spent most of those two centuries in study and meditation. I'll also be roleplaying him as "slightly" loopy from long periods without contact with other people.

You didn't mention it in Character Creation or House Rules, but are you allowing traits/faults?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I decided not to go that route after all. Instead, I'm imagining that he spent most of those two centuries in study and meditation. I'll also be roleplaying him as "slightly" loopy from long periods without contact with other people.

Great! Wierd can then have company in crazy psychic town.

You didn't mention it in Character Creation or House Rules, but are you allowing traits/faults?

I'd prefer not to.
---

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fair enough, just wanted to check.
Hurrah for crazy psychic buddies?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

My guy has a rather profound form of multiple personality disorder, as a consequence of developing a shard personality (like you would for a psicrystal), except NOT manifesting it outside of himself. As a consequence, he has episodes that baffle, confound, and leave people speechless.

He created the alt-personality, and keeps it internal, because that is how HE evades the tasting.  He is not suitable to become an Elan, because he is half-elf, so he cant join you in purpetual meditation-- but he CAN give you pointers on how to do fun things with rope, and how to make cute little plushie animals with yarn.

LOL.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8