Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34696 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2210
« Reply #330 on: May 30, 2017, 03:17:23 pm »

Going to A1 may be overextension. We might want to concentrate on B2.
My thought its to use it as a buffer-zone to keep them from A2...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »

So here's the highlights of RAM's plan:
Leave Unit 1 as-is, on A2.
Code: [Select]
Yes: 1| blueturtle
 No: 0|
Leave Unit 2 as-is, on C2.
They do not yet have the Armored Space Suit, but RAM did not assign a ITC to bring it to them so I assume this was an error.
Use ITC 1 to move Unit 3 and ASF 1 to A1, outfitting them with rifles and hopefully ammo.
Again, I assume the spacesuit was a typo - they already have the armor.
Yes: 0|
 No: 1| blueturtle
Use ITC 2 to move Unit 4 to B2.
Begins retreat from C2.
Leave Unit 5 as-is, on B2.
Use ITC 3 and Venture 1 to move ASF 2, 3, 4 to A2.
Again, I assume the double-use of ITC 3 is a mispost.
Yes: 0|
 No: 1| blueturtle

Now my opinion:
Overdefending A2, with fighters in orbit and advance force on A1, might not be the best move. We should try to drive them out from B2. They've already lost at A2, they're not going to try that lane very easily. Also, launching fighters from an ITC is a pain.
I'm saying:
Use ITC 3 to harvest Metal from A2.
Use Venture 1 to bring ASF 2, 3 to B2.

If these are bad ideas, tell me why!

Whole voting list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, vote for your plans.

Get started!
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2017, 05:05:51 pm »

I made some correction, but didn't rally change the plane except to move the armoured space suit. We have a third transport craft now because it was rebuilt.

I want to clamp down hard on A2 because I don't wantthem to drive us off of the world, and I think that they will try to deny us that planet to stop us from getting the exotic and its delicious bonus ship production, which we still need to figure out how to exploit... I guess it would be good to use Transport three to ship some metals home... But mostly I am leaving an underequipped ground-unit to wipe out anything that manages to land while we fortress A2 to make sure that the front moves on to A1 so that A2 is sucrure from surprise attacks.

Also, I so not want to have less than 3 fighters alone. We saw that their new ship can be driven off by but not destroyed by two fighters, which is a bad prospect for us. I currently have 1 fighter at A1 to guarantee the landing, but they are mostly a suicide force if they are confronted, and three at A2 to try to win the space with numbers. In short, I believe that using the venture alone is a very bad idea, it will cost us our fighters. With support it should still be viable.

Use Venture 1 to bring ASF 2, 3 to B2.
 No: 1| RAM

P.S.
 Thankyou! I am very sad that I let some errors slip into my thing and they seem to be dealt with now. Mostly
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »

Please do copy the whole spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(thinks)

(edits)

Let's compromise. Your statements regarding Moerth's formidable space armada are true. How about we move the fighters to A2, to block any attempt at landing, but don't over-fortify it or colonize A1. Meanwhile, retreat from C2 and reassign unit to B2. The third ITC can be used to harvest or provide A2 with rifles.

The spoiler voting thing is really unwieldy, don't use it. It's just a list of RAM's plan. The main points are:
  • Do we station someone on A1?
  • Do we harvest metals from A3?
  • Do we reassign from C2 to A2?
  • Do we reassign from C2 to B2?
  • Where do we send fighters?
  • Where do we send rifles?
If someone wants to create a voting list for this, then do so. Pick 3, each option costs an ITC (fighters need ITC as well, single venture can't fight off their battlecruiser)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:27:47 pm by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »

The thing about landing troops on A1 is that they can't bypass troops. So long as we have someone on A1 we don't need to protect A2...
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Combat Phase 2211
« Reply #335 on: June 01, 2017, 01:27:01 am »

There's a reason why we use vote quotes, people.
Because someone +1'd it earlier, I'm going with RAM's plan.

Also, in the future for strategy stuff, please either highlight the changes from last year or only include that stuff. It makes organization for me much easier.

Combat Phase of 2211

This year is the first where our orbital forces see fleet action. It isn't exactly a great battle for us.

The skirmish occurred over the barren lands of A2. Reportedly, the Grand Buck Venture-Class confirmed enemy presence in the area via radio interceptions. Like last time, the crew wasn't able to determine the location of the Moerthi vessels, but they did dispatch a visual warning to the accompanying ITC Girthy Stag. The Girthy Stag, with this warning, began the overly long process of scrambling its sole fighter.

Eventually, their ships come into visual range. All three A-ASF-8s are scrambled at approximately the same time thanks to the advanced warning the ITC had received. The Captain of the Girthy Stag reports two sighted Moerthi ships - their larger ship we first saw last year, and their earlier vessel based off of the ITC that we had destroyed. The ITC-like vessel was further off and somehow even slower turning than their destroyer which was performing the same turning maneuvers as last year.

We fired the first volley of missiles with the first two A-ASF-8s in range, both from the Grand Buck. We believe three missiles out of the four hit their targets. The destroyer was the recipient of all three, as it was the only target within range. And of course, the missiles didn't destroy it. The Songbirds hit two sites, with two missiles both sharing the same part of the vessel. Yet all this dead was cripple the destroyer's turning abilities.
The destroyer fired a small volley of four missiles in return. One missile just grazed by one of our A-ASF-8s, but otherwise we didn't suffer any casualties or damage.

Just as the third A-ASF-8 was approaching firing range, their older battleship opened fire. We had forgotten how many missiles this thing had. The onslaught was almost intelligent as our A-ASF-8s were picked out by individual missiles while the rest split up between the Grand Buck and Girthy Stag. The Venture-Class Grand Buck first got hit by one missile, merely damaging it. But just when we believed it was over, the captain of the Girthy Stag reports the vessel got hit with multiple additional missiles, completely destroying the Venture-Class. Our ITC survived, however.

Our last surviving fighter still held its two missiles, however. While their remaining operational vessel went through a lengthy reload vessel, the A-ASF-8 closed the gap and let loose of both its missiles that would hit the target, destroying it. Anxious to get out of the area before their destroyer could make field repairs and nearly out of fuel, the A-ASF-8 glided down planetside while our ITC continued retreating to Amaok.

Without the captain of the Grand Buck present, we're only able to listen to comments from the ITC captain. He believes that our main problem here was firepower - our missiles are extraordinarily accurate, but we just don't have enough of them and they don't do enough. We had three missiles hit their destroyer and all it did was take down most of their thrusters! And the four missiles fired at that time comprised two thirds of the total present armament we had brought to the battle.
Either more guns, missiles, or more destructive missiles, says the captain.
The orbit of A2 is under Moerth's control.
Amaok loses the "Grand Buck" Venture-Class and 2x A-ASF-8s.

Beneath the orbital skirmish, fighting on the ground of A2 continued. Unit 3 just barely managed to leave as ITC Massive Stallion picked them up before the Moerthi vessel finished field repairs. But with the evacuation of Unit 3 comes Moerthi reinforcements, switching the numerical advantage from last year.

We receive many positive reports of the new ABR-1M, but it doesn't help us enough in the end. We can pick off numerous Moerthi soldiers from the distance, but with their numerical advantage, it isn't enough. More of our soldiers die each week to long-range bolter fire as the simple volume of it increases. Our troops have again come to fear the Moerthi suicide run again, with their soldiers charging past our long range ABR-1M defenses but this time including suppressing bolter fire in the mix. No new designs are fielded by either side this year other than our ABR-1M, but their overwhelming numbers take advantage of the already stalemate-like situation we would have had if it was one-on-one.
If that wasn't enough, our officers are reporting orbital bombardment. It's not particularly effective, but perhaps once a week there's at least one report of a Moerthi missile hitting somewhere near our camps and killing some number of people.

The Commander here is somewhat stumped. If the numbers were one on one here, we could have held a stalemate. But with our numerical inferiority and inability to perform well at close-range, we're losing ground at A2. Scopes would be nice, remarked the Commander. As nice as our ABR-1Ms are at range, they're not quite effective as sniper rifles without a scope. Something to help us at close-range would be a huge help as well. Or just reinforcements at least?
Moerth gains ground on A2. [A: 2/3, M: 1/3]

We do gain the upper hand again on B2, though! Half of Moerth's forces on the planet were relocated to another site and our troops begin taking advantage of the situation.

Initially, we start advancing on their fortifications. It goes well at first, as we can take out most of their defenders at long-range then begin closing in while keeping the pressure on them. But they quickly start using the terrain to their advantage. Through more stealthy maneuvers, they start their engagements close-up where their bolters are the most effective. In the jungles and forests, their bolts can take down trees and set the brush alight while our marksmen experience difficulty taking down Moerthi soldiers through the many obstructions.

Despite this, we have the advantage. Our ABR-1Ms prove very useful on B2 as the occasional breakdown and frequent losses of equipment are easily remedied with new parts to replace breaking and lost ones. We outnumber them again, and through very careful advancement as well as accepting the unavoidable losses, we can slowly start taking land again. Unfortunately, it won't be this year.

Our Commander here is glad to be on the advance again. Our losses and disadvantages here stop us from taking serious amounts of land, but with time we'll push through and claim new lands. Increased effectiveness at close range would be nice, according to the Commander's report. Or some method to at least keep them away from close range encounters.
No side gains ground on B2. [A: 1/3, M: 2/3]

Nothing changes in the sea-based fighting on C2. Our soldiers remain entrenched on the larger islands, taking out Moerth's attempts to retake the islands at range with the occasional medium-range skirmish when they manage to make it to the beaches. With no new designs affecting the fighting at C2, nothing changes and it remains a stalemate.
Both Moerth and we transport some of our C2 forces off-world, keeping the relative force numbers roughly equivalent.

C2's commander is again requesting sea-based vehicles. They're practically begging for it at this point. Anything that could be used at sea would be of huge help here!
No side gains ground on C2. [A: 1/3, M: 2/3]

Long-range reconnaissance shows a Moerthi presence on C1, next to their homeworld. Without any military presence there, we're left to simply watch them secure the planet from afar.
Moerth gains ground on C1. [A: 0/3, M: 1/3]

At the beginning of the year, forces were landed on A1 while we still had A2 secured.
This may have been a mistake.

With the fighting on A2 escalating and ground lost, Unit 3 is left stranded without a supply line on A1. Moerth is practically next door to the planet, so any Moerthi forces will without a doubt have a straight line to A1 and can thus crush our forces here. The Commander is reportedly fortifying what he has, but he doubts they'll be able to survive any kind of assault unless we take back A2 and restore the supply line to A1. At least we've done the same for Moerth on A2, but that's certainly going to provoke them. Central Command is heavily recommending evacuation unless there is 100% confidence in regaining A2 next year.
Amaok gains ground on A1. [A: 1/3, M: 0/3]

Central Command is getting mildly annoyed with your nonfunctional theoretical designs. They really like the idea of a fusion engine, but that massive project which you spent a year and extreme amounts of resources building out in the middle of nowhere on Amaok is starting to gather dust now.
Spoiler: Amaok Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production Lines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vessels (click to show/hide)

It is now the Design Phase of 2211.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2211
« Reply #336 on: June 01, 2017, 01:38:49 am »

Superconductors

MHS

Metallic hydrogen superconductors.

We can revise a scope and grenade launcher module for the ABRM
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 01, 2017, 02:55:00 am »

A-ASF-11 Orbital Superiority Fighter

This redesign of the A-ASF-8 removes all planetary flight capacity and reduces the size and weight of engines and life support without sacrificing performance.  The extra space and weight is used to create a wider belly of the plane with medium armor.  The pilots are instructed to show the armored belly to the enemy when not firing in order to take the brunt of damage to the one armored area.  The missile complement is also doubled by placing missiles where the jet engines and aerodynamic portions of the space plane use to be.

Or make a better orbital fighter whatever.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 01, 2017, 02:56:34 am »

Or

Chainsword

A high speed chainsaw with a sword grip.

They want to get 40k?  We will get 40k.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 01, 2017, 03:29:54 am »

Superconductors

MHS

Metallic hydrogen superconductors.

We can revise a scope and grenade launcher module for the ABRM
+1
Read the First Post!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 01, 2017, 03:36:40 am »

Let's either design a space battleship of our own or give up on space this turn. The shiny super science stuff is still attractive, but I think we need something immediately useable right now. Personally, I think that either a shotgun to make up for our short range issues or a grenade launcher would be good choices to make. Either that or we can make an actual boat for that water planet.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 01, 2017, 03:49:16 am »

What about a home world defense satellite?

Put a large Fusion reactor in orbit with a single laser beam being powered by it.  We don't have to worry about a fusion ENGINE, or making any of the stuff small enough to fit on a space craft.

We did rockets and fighters and such in one design, maybe we can do this!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 01, 2017, 12:19:30 pm »

Let's either design a space battleship of our own or give up on space this turn. The shiny super science stuff is still attractive, but I think we need something immediately useable right now.
We have been saying this since the beginning. You need science stuff to make things that are immediately useful. If we are winning "we need to press our advantage" and if we are losing "We need more immediately useful stuff".
 Still, My proposal was balanced. We do superconductors for the design, and the scope and grenade launcher modules for revision. That gives us some science stuff and some applicable stuff.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 01, 2017, 01:02:21 pm »

We have been saying this since the beginning. You need science stuff to make things that are immediately useful. If we are winning "we need to press our advantage" and if we are losing "We need more immediately useful stuff".
 Still, My proposal was balanced. We do superconductors for the design, and the scope and grenade launcher modules for revision. That gives us some science stuff and some applicable stuff.

Debate, debate.

Let's agree that the situation right now is dire enough to require immediate focus on tactical weaponry. Should we win for a turn, in any capacity, we are going to use the design to build superconductors, but we really don't need theoretical stuff right now.

I propose an armored boat for the design, and smaller Songbird missiles for the revision stage. These should give us the edge on water and in space.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 01, 2017, 01:36:47 pm »

we really don't need theoretical stuff right now

Are you kidding? We desperately need theoretical stuff right now. We are still entirely limited to the starting tech.

the situation right now is dire enough to require immediate focus on tactical weaponry.
That's why I proposed revision with the ABRM modules. The launcher would even things up at mid range by a lot, and give us some amazing control of the battlefield. The scope would build on our strength at long range, and let us be effective at extreme ranges as well. 

You have it backwards. You want to do tech after we win, but it's doing tech that will let us win in the first place. Think of it as regrouping.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31