Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34684 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2211
« Reply #345 on: June 01, 2017, 02:17:04 pm »

We could have easily crushed them with missiles in the first couple of turns, then done future-tech from safety. Instead we did power tech, which was good but currently useless. It was a mistake then but now that we are stuck with it, and have more-or-less stable borders, we need to make good on our investment.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 01, 2017, 02:17:45 pm »

+1 to grenade launcher. Time to blow them up for a change.

I really think we should have some water craft to take C2. Also realize that every theoretical physics design has been met with dramatic failure and total defeat the next turn - also realize the GM is actually telling us to exchange physics for boats.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 02, 2017, 07:11:49 pm »

Please format your votes like this:
Designs
3 - Death Star: PersonA, PersonB, PersonC
1 - Hyperdrive: PersonD
Instead of just voicing your support once in the thread. As it is, it's hard for me to determine how much support things actually have and what people actually want to do.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 02, 2017, 08:30:43 pm »

They want close range?
Deny them the advantage.
 They have the superior numbers in several areas, and they have very little in terms of armor, and you know what we have in ample supply?
Plastic casings.
Explosive bombs.
Scrap metal from broken parts.

Now tell me, what happens if you say, create a small explosive with a plastic casing, with a pressure plate, with slots to put broken pieces of metal in for our troopers?

A molten plastic shrapnel landmine.

Not only do they thin out their numbers by blowing their feet off, the shrapnel, either super heated sharp metal or plastic sends shrapnel up into their bodies and possibly into OTHER SCUM! To make advantage of this landmine, we will do little fake retreats where we pretend to loose a field covered in landmines and watch them bleed out their manpower.

Future tech is not regrouping, it's sitting back and creating a new type of weapon that we cant use until we get tactical. Making Tactical weapons is the only option right now., Making Future Tech is the bits and pieces required for new bombs. "Startertech" can be used to make hell on our enemies, we haven't even gotten to flamethrowers yet.

Rethinking a bit with the battle at hand, landmines would only be useful in engagements that are on land. A2 would be lost in such a fashion, but we can instead focus on something else that could be WW1/2 useful.

Artillery.

Who wouldn't want to drop bombs from far away? We can use it to sink their damned boats, we can use it to shell the bastards to hell, and when we're retreating or advancing we could snuff them out before they could get a chance to fight back

Just a simple artillery gun that fires high explosives shells would do nicely. later we can revision to get the equivalent of napalm or maybe EMP warheads.

My other ideas for this turn was Landmines, artillery, Flamethrowers, and a magnetic mass driver for our missiles.

1 ChainSword: Void Slayer
1? ArmoredBoat:Blueturtle1134?
1? Grenade Launcher:BlueTurtle1134?
0 Landmine:
1 Artillery: Blood_Librarian
2 Metallic Hydrogen Superconductors: RAM, Helmacon

if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 02, 2017, 08:47:08 pm »

1? ArmoredBoat:Blueturtle1134?
1? Grenade Launcher:BlueTurtle1134?
0 Landmine:
1 Artillery: Blood_Librarian
I am indeed voting for the SuperMeH
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:10 pm »

that's good to hear, my information was good.

Unlike those damned scum on the other side of the system.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 02, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »

The grenade launcher that Blueturtle +1ed was, I believe, speculatively proposed as a revision in helmacon's post where they proposed the superconductors. So it sort-of isn't a design proposal but I guess it could be thought of as such.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2017, 10:18:10 pm »

For the boat, my idea would be an inflatable large raft with an attachable motor built out of an armored flexible material, like woven metal fibers and rubber.  We could eventually revise our space suits and armor to use a similar armored cloth.  Then make fast build barricades out of the same material.

Why don't we just make a super long range missile.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 02, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »

Grenade launcher is a revision on rifles, giving them more capabilities. This is possible through modular design.
0 ArmoredBoat:
0 Landmine:
2 Artillery: Blood_Librarian, blueturtle

Also, those asking for tactical weaponry should pick a certain type of tactical, so that they stand a fair chance of outvoting those pushing for HyMet. With tactical weaponry votes spread over several and science votes concentrated on HyMet they'll win every time.

I note that this will result in the formation of internal division and voting blocs, so I would suggest more consensus to avoid a political circus. I was going to ask how much HyMet is going to help when all our planets are overrun, so let me begin with this question: If we use the design on research and the revision on grenades, what is the likely battle outcome?

Status at A-lane... orbit is held by Moerth battleships, our Venture is in Davy Jones's Bok globule, A2 is being razed. I remember a unit was extracted from A2 and sent to A1, it likely will die upon arrival, and it would appear that RAM's plan to defend the A-lane has failed in spectacular fashion.

B-lane... rifles against bolters, B2 is holding out, although Moerth has an edge. Grenades may help here.

C-lane... still needs boats to win.

I would say situation is plenty bad enough, and warrants tactical development. When exactly will condensed matter physics kick in? As Moerth is knocking on our door?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:23:29 pm by blueturtle1134 »
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2017, 12:07:11 am »

Probably the turn after next. Some science ground work will put us back in the game, but these base tech designs just draw it out to a slow painful death.

Other than the fusion tech which we immediately abandoned, we dont have any science designs at all.

I fully expect to lose ground this turn. That is ok. It is impossible to dominate every turn, and It is better to prepare and then kick add, then to keep flailing about get the crap beat out of you.

I reiterate. MHS for the design, and some tactical moduls for our weapons on the revision.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2017, 12:16:04 am »

Why not instead of super conductors, just make the fusion power reactor.

Anyway, for a revision, we could up armor our space suits or mass produce rifle bullets.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2017, 12:33:53 am »

Super conductors have various uses, including helping with fusion. It should allow us to make a combine fusion-reactor/mildly better transport next turn and then a proper combat ship the turn after that, which ought to be able to devastate most anything for the forseeable future.

And yes, I did not expect them to be able to put troops on A2, and I thought that we had driven them off. Also was not expecting them to field both warships, I figured that it was probably a revision rather than a new design. umm, can we field both a revision and a new design? Can we dend out old-style rifles to make up the shortage of Moddable ones?

P.S.
 I worry gravely about artillery. It ought to be extremely vulnerable to orbital bombardment, so seems like a dead-end technology.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:44:59 am by RAM »
Read the First Post!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 03, 2017, 07:49:21 am »

And with orbits blockaded we can't get artillery to the ground troops anyway. Science looks appealing, but if 2 turns from now we're still failing then once again I told you so.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 03, 2017, 08:09:21 am »

There is also the matter of moving the artillery to the battlefield. It would have to fit in our transport, remember? Which I think is highly unlikely.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2017, 09:12:15 am »

I'm somewhat wary of doing MetHy, though, because I remember the fusion crash and burn that gave them time to develop explosive bolts. And I'm tired of getting steamrolled because we are one turn behind on tactical weaponry.

If we spend the design on MetHy, where can we hold the line? You better have a strategy to not let them literally knock on our door.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 31