Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34693 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2210
« Reply #315 on: May 28, 2017, 08:13:32 pm »

Wait, I thought we already spent a whole revision to fix the ammo problem? Built a whole factory or something?

Anyways, that sucked. Rolled a 4 and got exactly shit all. We would have had to roll a 5 or 6 to get any useful improvement. Who knew modular weapons would be so hard?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 28, 2017, 09:19:25 pm »

Your earlier ammo revision just fixed some of the ammo problems. Before that, your ammo problems would affect all ranges. Your revision didn't roll amazingly so you fixed enough that you could just push the ammo problems to short range where it didn't affect you as much. If you want, you can have the ammo rationing changed and distribute its penalties elsewhere.

Your modular weapons are more of a groundwork thing - it allows for easier future modifications and revisions. Revising things like scopes and whatnot are going to be much easier now. As are most future revisions or changes to the ABR-1M. There's also that minor combat bonus.

And RAM, it's 10 production lines. I changed it to 10 after I wrote the rules and likely just forgot to change the rules to reflect it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 28, 2017, 09:43:25 pm »

And RAM, it's 10 production lines. I changed it to 10 after I wrote the rules and likely just forgot to change the rules to reflect it.
Thankyou!!
 Oh, while I am thinking of it, Can we use metal to get another fighter? What about churning out some more ammunition? If igure that fighters are more of an "exotic" thing, but figured that I would check to be certain.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 28, 2017, 09:47:42 pm »

Is using the metal bonus on ammunition a thing we could actualy do? If so, Plus all the 1's.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 28, 2017, 10:04:40 pm »

I doubt that we could get ammunition for all of our guns(Please feel free to correct me!) but it seems plausible that if equipment shortage is the problem then we could fix the problem on a squad-by-squad basis by using excess materials.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 29, 2017, 11:43:35 am »

Ok, so +1 to using metals bonus to make ammo.

Also, our strategy. I keep coming back to this idea that we need to pick our battles. What about the ocean planet? We still haven't built and boats, and its pretty much given that we can't advance there until we do. We have like, what, 2 units tied up there? Doing nothing? Why don't we jump ship until we are prepared to devote designs to aquatic design. If we pull both units, we could out number them on almost every other front. (I think) hell, we might just be able to skip the water worlds altogether.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 29, 2017, 11:56:58 am »

Also, our strategy. I keep coming back to this idea that we need to pick our battles. What about the ocean planet? We still haven't built and boats, and its pretty much given that we can't advance there until we do. We have like, what, 2 units tied up there? Doing nothing? Why don't we jump ship until we are prepared to devote designs to aquatic design. If we pull both units, we could out number them on almost every other front. (I think) hell, we might just be able to skip the water worlds altogether.

Okay, so tell me if I'm reading the last report right...
The fighting is in the middle, at the letter-2 planets. A2 is ours, but we're losing B2 because they have bolters, and we're holding out on C2 because we have rafts and snipers.
Then... I can't really see which one we could pull out of. We need a counter to bolters is what. Tanks?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 29, 2017, 12:23:50 pm »

I'm saying we redeploy everything on C2 to B2. We have been told that C2 is a dead end until we develops boats, so staying there is just sucking up resources and men that could be turning the tide elsewhere.

MRA is the counter to bolters, but we have to do superconductors first. Additionally, we might want to do grenade launchers and scope modules for or guns at some point.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 29, 2017, 03:43:42 pm »

I left one unit on c2 in my plan because I don't want to just sit back and let them have that exotic. But I have no intention of trying to actualyl capture the place, I just want to keep them from taking it.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 29, 2017, 03:53:26 pm »

Leaving one unit on c2 seems like the right call for the same reasons RAM mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 03:55:19 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 29, 2017, 03:56:28 pm »

I'm saying we redeploy everything on C2 to B2. We have been told that C2 is a dead end until we develops boats, so staying there is just sucking up resources and men that could be turning the tide elsewhere.

MRA is the counter to bolters, but we have to do superconductors first. Additionally, we might want to do grenade launchers and scope modules for or guns at some point.

Good point. If C2 is a lost cause, then maybe we can overwhelm them on B2. It still sounds like it's a tech difference rather than an army size difference there though.

Like I've said, magnetism is going to do nothing against concussive force. It'll be killer against shrapnel, though. Concussive force is better deflected with really heavy armor.

I left one unit on c2 in my plan because I don't want to just sit back and let them have that exotic. But I have no intention of trying to actualyl capture the place, I just want to keep them from taking it.
Leaving one I it on c2 seems like the right call for the same reasons RAM mentioned.

Something to think about, though, is that just one unit may get wiped out without doing much, and would still waste our resources while not doing it's worth in damage. With them outnumbering us, each of our units is probably going to be less effective there than elsewhere. The boat sniping is something like guerilla warfare, though, and a small population might still be able to do damage.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 29, 2017, 10:38:43 pm »

Right now you can't use your resources because you need a (3 CU) transport to move them to Amaok. Though I would allow resources to be spent on ammo for the ABR-1, but it would always require that metal until you fix the problem with a revision or some other method.

Also, vote for your plans.

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 29, 2017, 10:48:38 pm »

Oh, I did not realise that we needed transport. My bad, plan adjusted. Well, adjusted enough...

And if there is only one plan then I think that it is safe to use itm even with no votes. Plans are sort of a pain to make because of all the housekeeping, and limited creativity, so it is a bit of an unpopular job. That said, feel free to copy/paste my plan with minor alterations, or even just a single part of my plan. That is the great thing about voting for each section separately, a lot of the stuff is a no-brainer or compatible with alternate strategies.
Read the First Post!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 30, 2017, 08:45:12 am »

I'll vote Broken Wingman if we don't get anything else.

Seriously, the Strategy Phase is a pain.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 30, 2017, 10:00:46 am »

Going to A1 may be overextension. We might want to concentrate on B2.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31