Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34697 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2209
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2017, 09:10:47 am »

+1 to RAMs plan
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2017, 03:41:22 pm »

Yes, we have space-power of greater than point-blank range, and ground power that is not a complete embarrassment.

I would like to get started on automation and lasers first, because at present a working fusion reactor would only serve to increase our cargo capacity a little. And we also need enemy detection. But we burned our first turn on future-tech so we need to take advantage of it pretty quickly...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2017, 09:43:05 pm »

Yes, we have space-power of greater than point-blank range, and ground power that is not a complete embarrassment.

I would like to get started on automation and lasers first, because at present a working fusion reactor would only serve to increase our cargo capacity a little. And we also need enemy detection. But we burned our first turn on future-tech so we need to take advantage of it pretty quickly...

That CAN be sunk cost, not saying it is, but we wasted time before so we should waste more now is not a compelling argument.

What is though, is that we can use fusion powered space ships to shoot lasers. 

As an automation design, what about some sort of walking AI landmine?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:56 pm »

I would prefer an automated turret. A landmine needs to survive, which can be tricky, it also needs the enemy to advance, which may not suit all iperations, and then there is the issue of terrain dependance, but a swimming sea-mine would probably be more effective rather than less.

On the other hand... A spider leaping out of the ground, jumping onto someone, wrapping around them, and then just sitting there on the doomed victim, letting everyone watch as it sings a merry ballad while the person it is going to reduce to component parts screams hysterically, has got to count against enemy morale...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2017, 11:34:46 pm »

I'd prefer just to get a heavy machine gun design, both for it's use in land combat and so we can use it on later ship designs as a anti-missile point defense gun.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:25 pm »

I would prefer an automated turret. A landmine needs to survive, which can be tricky, it also needs the enemy to advance, which may not suit all iperations, and then there is the issue of terrain dependance, but a swimming sea-mine would probably be more effective rather than less.

On the other hand... A spider leaping out of the ground, jumping onto someone, wrapping around them, and then just sitting there on the doomed victim, letting everyone watch as it sings a merry ballad while the person it is going to reduce to component parts screams hysterically, has got to count against enemy morale...

I was more thinking, in the future, a trilobite like thing leaping onto someone's back, burrowing tendrils into the back and spine then man-machine interface taking over the brain.

But the singing bomb is fun too.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2017, 03:07:20 pm »

Speaking of sonic weaponry: I want to produce some sort of giant speaker thing that blares awesome nerdcore music at the enemies... and stops them from getting any sleep. Or better yet, a nerdcore alarm system.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 24, 2017, 05:01:10 pm »

Amaok still has zero people voting on their strategy. RAM posted one, but it has zero votes.
Also designs are named when they're made. You should just be naming your individual ships if naming, like ITCs #1-3. (And the A-ASF-8 isn't a shuttle.)

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Read the First Post!

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2017, 05:56:54 pm »

Amaok still has zero people voting on their strategy. RAM posted one, but it has zero votes.
Also designs are named when they're made. You should just be naming your individual ships if naming, like ITCs #1-3. (And the A-ASF-8 isn't a shuttle.)

+1 to RAMs plan

:(
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2017, 06:15:49 pm »

I honestly don't really understand how the strategy stuff works which if why I haven't commented on it, but if we need votes... +1 to RAM's plan.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2017, 06:32:23 pm »

I feel that, if there is only one plan, and it has been 24 hours, then it is probably safe to just use it and tell the players "tough luck" if they want to whine about it.

Oh, umm, can I have an answer about how many production lines we have? The template has 10 slots but the first post in the core thread says 8.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2017, 08:09:29 pm »

I accidentally opened the other thread yesterday instead of this one and it took a few posts before I realized I was in the wrong place. For that reason, I am going to refrain from comment until the next design phase.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Combat Phase 2210
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2017, 08:31:05 pm »

There's a reason why we use vote quotes, people.
The name changes from RAM's plan are not going into effect, primarily to avoid minor headaches on my part. And just as a note, I forgot to mention that the Venture-Class keeps the same 1 CU individual maximum that the ITC has.
Also, I may have accidentally put the name "Venture-Class" once in the design description for Moerth's new ship. Woops. But unless you guys are doing some weird strategy, leaking the class name shouldn't be a huge deal.
Combat Phase of 2210

Curiously, no orbital combat occurs above the planet of B2 this year. Our Unit on B2 reports sightings of Moerth ITC shuttles bringing down equipment, but other than that, nothing.

Instead, the fighting is in the orbit of the ocean world C2. Captain Arksath of the Venture-Class sent to C2 reports that its complement of A-ASF-8s were prepared to be scrambled as soon as non-Amaokian radio transmissions were detected by the onboard radio. Our orbital forces couldn't determine its source, but it was particularly strong.
The suspicion bore fruit when a warship of Moerth design was spotted by the Venture-Class, turned with its front at a roughly 80 degree angle away from our ship. A-ASF-8s were immediately scrambled with the directions to assault that ship as it appeared to continue turning to face the Venture-Class. Without a doubt, this new Moerthi ship was something completely new.

The first volley of missiles was us. The first A-ASF-8 deployed by the Venture-Class unleashed both its missiles soon into the battle thanks to the fighter already facing the Moerth vessel when deployed. The new Songbird missiles meant that each fighter only had 2 missiles equipped, but the result was astounding. Both Songbirds made direct hits on the sluggish Moerthi destroyer. However, their ship kept moving. The songbirds impacted in different locations and based on the report of Captain Arksath, the vessel just kept moving. There were small but notable hull breaches where the missiles impacted, but it seemed like it barely impacted the destroyer at all.

As the second A-ASF-8 closed into missile range using its own clunky reaction thrusters, the Moerthi warship unleashed its first volley of missiles. Unlike what we saw in our previous orbital encounter, the volley was a lot smaller. All missiles missed - likely due to the still large angle between the front of their ship and our Venture-Class. But soon after, another volley from the same site was spotted. A missile hit our first fighter as it was still attempting to return to the Venture-Class, destroying it. The rest of the missiles dispersed, likely due to their target disappearing.

Eventually it appeared that the second A-ASF-8 was within firing range, but just as this happened another volley was sighted. The A-ASF-8 fired both missiles before getting hit and being destroyed. Both missiles again hit the Moerthi vessel, with a bit more luck compared to the first hits. The Songbirds appeared to make contact one after the other in the same site, at the front of the ship where we assume the missile pods are located. A large breach appeared at the location, then the firing stopped.
The Captain of the Venture-Class states in his report that he considered ramming, before realizing that this new Moerthi ship was bigger than an ITC, clearly well armored, and that Central Command would very likely not appreciate losing their only Venture-Class. The hostile ship would at some point leave visual range and we assume head back to Moerth for repairs. The Venture-Class also returned to Moerth, as it was out of fighters and had no use at C2.

Captain Arksath is requesting improved fighters. Tactics during the battle were annoyingly restricted due to the lack of communication between the fighter pilots and the Venture-Class. The Venture-Class has a radio, sure, but the A-ASF-8 doesn't. Better speed or more missiles would also certainly help. The Venture-Class was of huge help to us but the speeds of the ship involved hurt - with higher speeds, our A-ASF-8s could had both fired their missiles before the Moerthi destroyer got a viable firing angle.
The Orbital Zone of C2 is now Conflicted.
Amaok has lost 2x A-ASF-8s.

Planetside, ITCs from both sides landed supplies. Our reinforcements and extra ABR-1s landed without problem, as did whatever their ITC was carrying.

With two Units deployed on C2 and ABR-1s introduced, the battle become a whole lot more even this year. Our forces on C2, scattered across the islands, rally at the landing points of our shuttles where reinforcements and new guns arrive.

Only half of Moerth's forces here have their bolters, but it would appear that their bolters have been improved. We noticed that they've began using their Bolters in close quarters without any hand-destroying explosions. Where before their bolts detonated far too quickly at close range causing friendly fire, their bolts simply no longer detonate at close range. Additionally, we've experienced some unexpected casualties at long-range where their bolts are somewhat more effective now. They're still inaccurate at long range, but Moerthi bolters are no longer useless against our ABR-1s above medium range.

The beginning of the renewed fighting on C2 sees our forces making an unexpected charge through the islands to gain more land, taking advantage of the enemy's more poorly-equipped troops. The larger islands are subject to invasions from our soldiers scattered across many different rafts. Skilled marksmen lie on the front of the rafts where they snipe Moerthi sentries and bolter-equipped troops from long range. Occasionally, their bolter fire results in some hits and the explosive bolts promptly sink our rafts. As they scramble their bolter-equipped troops to deal with our marksmen, our main soldiers' rafts land on the island where they can engage the occupied Moerthi troops at medium range.

But at the smaller islands, which form the large majority of C2, our soldiers are having difficulty landing on the beaches. Our "marksmen rafts" are only useful to such a degree - we only have so many rafts, so many marksmen, and while inaccurate, Moerthi bolts are very effective at sinking rafts. Our soldiers are forced to engage at close range with their pistols on the shore where Moerth pistol and non-explosive bolts slaughter us. 

Despite our shortcomings in most of the islands, our Commander has reported that our Units have taken a decent portion of "land". Advancing more is uncertain as it involves storming the shores of the smaller islands and dying to them at close range. Defending is an easy task thanks to our ability to pick off invading Moerthi soldiers as they come. Without any change in designs or tactics, we doubt we'll be seeing a shift in the battle here next year.

Our Commander on C2 is quite happy with the progress here, but doubts we can make any more significant advantage. Again, actual sea-based vehicles would be of immense aid here! Building on our long-range advantage could work, but our number one problem is that our soldiers are forced to mostly engage Moerth on the shores where close and medium-range bolter fire reigns supreme.
Amaok has gained ground at C2. [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]

B2 is a disaster.
Our Unit is finally losing ground on B2 as Moerth pushes their advantage. Their improved bolters help against our snipers. Moerthi bolts hammer the cover where our marksmen lie, forcing them out and allowing hostiles into medium range where they easily win. Our hidden marksmen continue their ambushing and guerilla tactics, but it's only of minor help. Some of them may be picked off as they travel, but they still have more than enough soldiers to beat us wherever they go.

With no new equipment or forces, we're left outgunned and outnumbered. We're losing at short range, medium range, and our advantage at long range is almost negligible. Our Commander is requesting anything to help bridge the gap!
Moerth has gained ground at B2. [M: 2/3, A: 1/3]

A3 and C3 continue without any gunfire whatsoever. Other than a few crimes which we're investigating, that is. How an organized crime syndicate got ABR-1s is lost to us, but we've equipped our militias on A3 and C3 with a few ABR-1s on the routine interplanetary ferries to even the odds.
Other than that, the infrastructure is finally completed and the new governors of A3 and C3 both say that they're producing resources ready to be shipped back to Amaok. Apparently, we can also now name A3 and C3. If we want.
Amaok has gained access to the resources at A3 and C3.

At A2, our ABR-1 is finally introduced to the fighting. ITCs bring a new Unit and its ABR-1s. Of course, we didn't have enough ABR-1s for the existing unit but the ABR-1s still helped.

With the long open barren landscapes of A2, our soldiers make full use of their (limited) ABR-1s, picking off Moerthi troops as they approach. Bolter fire at long range is intimidating, sure, but eventually one learns that with use of cover and a calm demeanour, it can be mostly ignored. Sure, we lose at close-range thanks to their better bolters and better pistols, but our newly-found superiority in numbers helps make up for those losses. Our Armoured Space Suits even become somewhat more useful as their pistols and nonexplosive bolts become less effective against it.
Our marksmen have been taking affinity to the rock formations and usually set up there as they wait for passing Moerthi convoys and patrols. Once they begin firing for a while, the rest of our soldiers go in and take advantage of the distracted hostiles and clean it up.
At some point, an officer even succesfully called in an air strike from the A-ASF-8 after it arrived. A Songbird missile hit an enemy camp, destroying a part of it! Sure, the missile wasn't particularly destructive and the A-ASF-8 had to land and wasn't useful for the rest of the year, but it was a good distraction and is the first use of orbital/air support in the war.

Enough of this and we begin pushing back. The barren landscapes help a lot as our marksmen dominate the battlefield. Eventually we wipe out most of the resistance, and their troops start hiding in caves and similar formations where our snipers are less effective. We can still advance later without a doubt, but it's going to take a bit of effort.

Our Commander believes that something to help in medium or short ranges would be nice, but if nothing changes we should wipe out any evidence that Moerth was even here next year.
Amaok has gained ground at A2. [M: 0/3, A: 3/3]

Three A-ASF-8s have finished construction and are ready for service, as is the brand-new-again ITC #2.
Spoiler: Amaok Designs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Production Lines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vessels (click to show/hide)

It is now the Design Phase of 2210.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:58:12 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Design Phase 2210
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:16 pm »

Sigh..
Time to push for superconductors again.
Design superconductors. Use it to revise our armor to magnetic reactive armor.

I'll post some actual designs in a bit.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31