Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34691 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Revision Phase 2210
« Reply #300 on: May 27, 2017, 01:08:36 am »

I think it might be better to drop crates of fuel, so that the fighters can be based at infantry positions and harrass with brief flights. But I ma getting extremely vague feelings from exactly how much carrying capacity we have. I am beginning to suspect that our soldiers are grown from seeds...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 27, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »

If a consensus isn't reached by some point today I'm just going to randomly pick one of the tied revisions.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 28, 2017, 09:20:33 am »

Idk, guys. I thunk it's unlikely to get a full extra cargo slot from the revision, and the thing even says that it will make them slower. I'm hesitant to actually make our ships worse.
 Tbh, none of the ideas out there seem all that useful, but I can't really think of anything else given our current tech. +1 I guess. It does give us a tiny bit of tech to play with.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 28, 2017, 01:29:46 pm »

Idk, guys. I thunk it's unlikely to get a full extra cargo slot from the revision, and the thing even says that it will make them slower. I'm hesitant to actually make our ships worse.
 Tbh, none of the ideas out there seem all that useful, but I can't really think of anything else given our current tech. +1 I guess. It does give us a tiny bit of tech to play with.

It might not be immediately useful, but it's my low-risk stab into high energy spacecraft propulsion.
That's a good point, though - should we use the revision on something tactically needed right now? Can't really think of anything though.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 28, 2017, 02:53:18 pm »

Well my scanning radar would hopefully increase detection rates, and it is just expanding the role of our existing radar.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 28, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »

In lack of any decent alternatives, I'll put forward one of my own.

Modular Fire Arms

The ABR is broken down into its basic core, the only change being the addition of a full auto fire mode. From there, there are 4 modular attachment points. The rear attachment is available as a stock. The core gun with stock modual is identical to the current ABR. The top modual is available as a scope, the forward as a silencer, and the bottom as a tripod. This allows for fast weapon specialization according to the situation. When moving into close range, the stock can be removed and the gun can be toggled to full auto for a powerful short range weapon. The scope and bipod strengthen our long range advantage, and the silencer helps our snipers stay hidden.

While only 4 attachments are initially available, we could easily create additional attachments when necessary, such as an underslung grenade launcher, or top down auto loader.

In the short term, this fixes our short range problems and gives us a tactical advantage. In the long term, modular weapons are awesome.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 28, 2017, 05:33:59 pm »

Modular Fire Arms
I am willing to +1 this if doing so does not result in a tie... And if someone else does all the work of updating the vote chart.
Read the First Post!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 28, 2017, 05:39:12 pm »

Modular Fire Arms
Throw my vote onto it as well.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 28, 2017, 05:55:45 pm »

I am willing to +1 this if doing so does not result in a tie... And if someone else does all the work of updating the vote chart.
Lazy.
0 Meh: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7465947#msg7465947
0 Scanning Radar: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7465947#msg7465947
0 Venture Enlargement: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7465947#msg7465947
1 Pulsed Plasma Venture!: blueturtle1134, RAM, Stabby | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7466108#msg7466108
1 Ground-Launched Fighters: Happerry | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7466635#msg7466635
0 Missile Shaped Charges: | http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7466651#msg7466651
3 Modular Firearms: RAM, Taricus, blueturtle1134| http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164126.msg7468007#msg7468007
I vote for modular firearms as well, we need a ground edge around now...
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 28, 2017, 06:11:44 pm »

Revision: Modular Firearms

The ABR-1 is a very well-made weapon. It's reliable, accurate, and powerful. Sure, Moerth may have guns that shoot micromissiles, but we have beauty in our simplicity. With modular firearms, we plan on making the ABR-1 a mainstay of Amaok's armed forces for decades to come.

We've revised the entire weapon to be based on a modular structure. Now, the ABR-1 can be disassembled and reassembled using any other parts from the field, and the process is simple enough that any soldier can be easily taught how to quickly modify or reassemble the ABR-1 using the new modular technique. Each part of the gun is now based on that modular structure, meaning later revisions and designs introducing new models allow for easy switching in the field as well as a whole host of other benefits. The rifle also now has attachment points across it for additional attachments such as silencers and more as well as rails on the top allowing for placement of items like scopes.

We considered four attachments as part of this project - the stock, silencer, tripod, and scope. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we were only able to really implement one of these modules - the stock - and that mostly falls under the category of the modular structure of the gun and not a separate attachment.

We attempted implementing a full-auto mode for the gun, but it proved to be rather difficult. The mode is present, but we didn't have enough time to actually revise the rifle to facilitate it. The gun just simply isn't designed for an automatic firing mode and its performance in auto mode shows that quite well. The firing action was intended to fire in semi-automatic, and forcing it to do otherwise with little tweaking makes it jam frequently. The rest of the gun's interaction with the automatic firing simply reduces the accuracy of our bullets to a degree much worse than that of a regular assault rifle or similar automatic weapon.
Unfortunately, this does not fix our problem at short-ranges whatsoever. The issue was ammo shortages, and Central Command decided to stop use of ABR-1s at close range in order to preserve enough ammo to use the ABR-1 without worry at other ranges. With this new revision, the rifle still won't be used at close range in order to conserve ammo. Auto-mode will go largely unused by troops due to both its technical issues and ammo problems.

The modular ABR-1, now dubbed the ABR-1M, is still a straightforward upgrade to our existing weapons. Without the ammo problem fixed, we doubt to see any significant benefits in combat, but it opens up many possibilities in the future. In fact, we could probably even revise the gun to create multiple (semi-related) attachments at once in needed, and the auto-fire mode will be much easier to fix than it would be to do it from scratch again. But for now, Central Command still would prefer the ammo problem fixed.
However, the modular nature of the gun makes it easier to store on the person and allows for better field repairs and salvaging, which should hopefully somewhat increase the general effectiveness of our troops.

ABR-1M: A simple yet effective semi-automatic battle rifle completely designed in Amaok, using custom-designed ammunition. Works best at a moderate-long distance, but still works well at long and moderate distances. Grows less effective at closer and more long-ranged engagements. Very effective at punching through light Kevlar and other armor. The gun is entirely modular, with each part of the gun (not just attachments) being easily removed and attached. Hot-swapping and repair can be done effectively in the field and the creation of new modules or attachments taking advantage of this is quite easy. Its modularity makes field repairs and storing on one's person extraordinarily easy, somewhat increasing combat effectiveness. The rifle has an automatic firing mode, but its prone to frequent jamming and is notably inaccurate. Ammo shortages require use of the ABR-1 to be heavily limited in close-range engagements.
Weight: 1 CU = 4x
Expense: 4x
Resources: Metal

It is now the Strategy Phase of 2210.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 28, 2017, 06:15:05 pm »

I love how quickly you abandoned my idea.

No, really... I had my doubts that space science was the right move to improve our ground performance. Thank you for the idea, helmacon!

Modularity should make guns easier to revise in the future. (pokes GM).

Also, I've noticed that we don't have a flag/logo/seal/whatever. So I whipped one up. Enjoy.

Ninja'd by revision. Wow, not so good of a roll. Get some people on the ammo thing.

(thinks for 2 secs then edits)

HAHA LOL I solved the ammo problem!

So the way you make bullets travel long distances is by giving them more inertia by making them more dense. This reduces the effects of drag, causing the bullets to remain accurate over long distances.

However, dense materials are expensive. For short ranges, something lighter can be used to save cost. This will decrease effectiveness, but it's better than having nothing to shoot. Something like plastic.

And what can you think of that's cheap and only works over short ranges...? The 3D printed pistols. But the gun isn't the problem, it's the bullet...

3D print bullets. Easy mass-fabrication of ammo that only works well in close combat. The bullets can be easily adapted to fit the new rifles - we can even have a different stock just for the plastic ammo. We're still launching them from our rifles, so they should be better than the 3D pistols themselves.

So that's our revision next year. Next year's design should probably be HyMet. All we have to do now is play the don't-get-clobbered-by-Moerth game for another year.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:24:52 pm by blueturtle1134 »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2206
« Reply #314 on: May 28, 2017, 08:01:24 pm »

Operation Broken Wingman
The core thread's first post says that we only have 8 production lines? The template hase 10 production lins? ???
Can I assume that we need exotic materials to build more fighters or shuttles?
Quote from: Production Lines(prod)
Production Line 1: Interplanetary Transport Craft (3/3)
Production Line 2: Printed Pistol (Unlimited)
Production Line 3: X112 Space Suit (Unlimited)
Production Line 4: Kevlar Armor & Uniform (1/1)
Production Line 5: Venture-Class Combat Transport craft(1/1)
Production Line 6: Armoured Space Suit (1/1)
Production Line 7: ABR-1M rifle (4/4)
Production Line 8: A-ASF-8 fighter (4/6)
Production Line 9: Radio (2/2)
Production Line 10: Metahel armour 0/0

Quote from: planetary surface units(plan)
Unit 1:"day watch"
Equipped:
X112 Space Suit
Printed Pistol

Unit 2:
Equipped:
ABR-1M rifle
X112 Space Suit
Printed Pistol

Unit 3: "night-watch"
Equipped:
ABR-1m rifle
Printed Pistol
Armoured Space Suit

Unit 4:
Equipped:
X112 Space Suit
ABR-1m rifle
Printed Pistol

Unit 5:
Equipped:
ABR-1m rifle
Printed Pistol
Kevlar Armor & Uniform

Quote from: Space operations(pace)
Interplanetary Transport Craft 1 "Massive Stallion": A1
Unit 3: "night-watch"
A-ASF-8 "Hollow Vixen" Fighter 1

Interplanetary Transport Craft 2 "Heavy Bull": B2
Unit 4

Interplanetary Transport Craft 3 "Girthy Stag": A2
A-ASF-8 "Void Sow" Fighter 2

Venture-Class Combat Transport craft "Grand Buck": A2
A-ASF-8 "Vacuous Ewe" Fighter 3
A-ASF-8 "Vacant Doe" Fighter 4

Quote from: Strategy Votes
Prod
0 Broken Wingman
Plan
0 Broken Wingman
pace
0 Broken Wingman
[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:56:12 pm by RAM »
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 31