Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154145 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #780 on: September 26, 2017, 06:29:34 pm »

((Hmm, thought it mentioned that there was no difference in strength between a pendant used by a weak rit user and a strong one in the OP, just slower recharges and fewer of them.))
"fewer of them"? Pendants will eventually stop recharging themselves after being used enough times?

Also, what happens if you make a chalice entirely out of the remains of a single being? What if that being is a PC? What if their spirit is still around (not necessary alive) and kicking outside of their body, and you make a chalice out of the remains of their body?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: September 26, 2017, 06:31:16 pm »

((Fewer of them that can be recharging at the same time.  I'm assuming that if you have more than the cap, you can still recharge them, but have to do so in sequence.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #782 on: September 27, 2017, 02:49:15 am »

Ben just stares at Bella for several long moments, then slowly exhales while rubbing his temple with his free hand.  "Always with this magic bullshit, I can't believe you people.  If you've got any sanity left in that little head of yours, listen.  You wasted my ammo, something that's hard for me to get.  Either you get me more, or help me in some other way, or I kill you.  Understood?  I don't care."

He then stomps back to the room with his disassembled machine gun, and returns to working on it after locking the door.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 02, 2017, 01:14:45 pm »

+1 aim, I hope this will improve my wand damage and hit. Maybe research about necromancy and lichdom, or magic related to life and death like healing, inmortality, flesh magic, that sort of things.
And search the house for more knives, mainly for those that are sharp or could be thrown

(If upgraded brooms can be controlled mentally and are faster, I could throw my mop-spear broom at enemies. How many clots do I need to upgrade it?)
+1 to aim it is.

You get another knife at Vince's house. Sharp and throwable, through not military tier.

One clot to upgrade your broom once. It can be upgraded 3 more times.

Necromancy? Vince gives you an address, a pub in the north bit of the city, miles from anywhere. Walking through unfamiliar territory is an uncomfortable experience, as strange magical beings roam the streets and the gaze of unknown gods pricks up hairs on the back of your neck. Also a bungalow on steel legs full of pirates nearly steps on you, but you're pretty sure it was unintentional.

You reach the pub unscathed as evening falls, and are greeted by a crowd of friendly middle-aged men and women. After mingling a little, you sense their magical potential, and discern that they're a sort of amateur necromancer's club, for mortals with budding necromantic potential. Bit like the Coven, expect more low-key, with fewer explosions. People researching immortality tend not to be in a great hurry, or particularly enamoured of dangerous excitement. They don't mind you listening in, provided nothing untoward happens. People seem to be a bit nervous of witches. Can't think why.

The chatter diminishes eventually, and a balding man introduces himself as Kevin. He shows everyone there how to transfer life from a human or animal into a zombie, or some other nonliving organic construct. You get the gist. It involves sacrifice, wires, and a being capable of pushing bits of magic around. So you'd just need a human sacrifice and wires.

The guy running it comes up to you afterwards and offers to put you in touch with some more experienced necromancers, if you tell him what you're interested in. Invulnerability, zombies, raising specific dead, anything you have in mind. He doesn't seem entirely comfortable in your presence, but he's very helpful.

+1 to banal weapons, no surprise there.

First things first, he'll take some of those knives out of the bag and store them in his clothes.  He's not gonna be completely unarmed the next time someone takes his bag.

...Oh, and because it just occured to me, is the gunfarmer P90 sufficiently different from a regular P90 that cleaning it like one would have poor consequences?  Because Ben definitely takes care of his weapons, and would treat it like any other.

+1 indeed. Ben conceals a knife in one boot, on a leg, and one on his torso. Or some similarly tactical combination, if that would be likely to get him killed.

Carefully cleaning each weapon has no negative consequences. The Gunfarmer P90 purrs as he wipes it down, but Ben is too grumpy to notice.

Looks like you forgot to update the number of clots I have and the tier of my broom. Should be 1 clot and a tier 4 broom now.

Think I'm gonna use my remaining clot to make a wand out of my gun. That's possible, right? Is the gun still able to fire normal bullets once wandified? Would the gunwand have a lower power due to already being a weapon? I wouldn't think so, because it's not magical. Are some wands better than others for parrying? Would the gunwand be good for parrying? Unless the answer is that I could get a better parrying wand with something other than the gun, Clot it up.

+1 Banal!

ATHATH said he would teach me pyromancy for some spacerocks, so give him some spacerocks and learn pyromancy if he has the time right now.

Can I access the magic market yet?

Take a cuppa Nam blood.

Updates thinged.

You wot? Gunwand would be fine for parrying and shooting people. Oh, alright. You turn the gun, an instrument of destruction, into a wand, a powerful magical tool. And speaking of tools...

It has one spell, costing five puissance. You point it at something, pull the mental trigger, and some of the thing you pointed at turns into a bullet. You're not entirely sure how this works, having tested it on cheese and cardboard, but the bullets can definitely be fired from your gun.

You trade the spacerocks with Lord Worthington, and he gestures weirdly at you until you feel something small and warm, like a tiny creature, curl beneath your skin. You now have a pyromancy flame. All it can do right now is make a bit of fire, but according to your mentor's garbled account of pyromancy, you just need to burn magic shit.

Ok, you drink a cup of Nanami's blood. It's... salty? I think I remember how this works.

ATHATH said he would teach me pyromancy for some spacerocks, so give him some spacerocks and learn pyromancy if he has the time right now.[/b]
Perform the trade, then burn/melt one (and ONLY one) of the (multiple) space rocks that I receive in order to learn some mind-related pyromancy talent (maybe the ability to hypnotize people with flames?).
In addition to my other action, ask the Techno-Necromancers about more specifics on this not-immortal deity. What does it have dominion/power over? How powerful is it?

Use my Practicality skill to check to see if I'm being watched, followed, or the like. If not, pay a visit to Johnson's house for a friendly chat. Tell him that the Ghost Mafia wants me to kill him to prove my worth, but I have other plans, and I'd like his help to take down (or at least harm) the Ghost Mafia. Was there a story behind him stealing that deity's immortality?

Oh, and collect and burn (for a pyromancy) the shavings produced by Nanami's engraving of Bella's broom.

You manage to give Bella a part of your pyromancy flame. You feel it diminsh as it crosses over to her, weakening and losing spells until it's only as strong as the one given to you.

Burning a space rock shard is pretty easy, the slightly metallic honeycomb structure catching and burning white almost at once. The pyromancy you gain involves the creation of a single tall flame, swaying elegantly, blue-hued and pale. It draws the gaze of everyone who sees it, breaking up a screaming row as everyone stops to stare at the light. After about thirty seconds it goes out. Two puissance to make one.

The necromancers aren't sure what the deity originally had power over, but it commanded a reasonable following. Now, its sphere involve slime, decay and muck, and the few devoted to it are outcasts and freaks. It lurks in a bit of London nobody likes going into, slowly dying of the divine version of cancer. It's weaker than when it was immortal, but still far stronger than any normal magical being like a witch or necromancer. It could definitely mulch you, for instance.

You don't seem to be being followed. You manage to find Johnson's mansion, which has almost no security, and no magical defenses. He opens the door in a silk dressing gown, laughs in your face when you talk about killing him, expresses no interest in attacking the ghost mafia, as plenty of people want him properly dead. When you ask how he became immortal, he laughs even harder, then does some sort of ju-jitsu kick that sends you out the door and into the street faster than yu can blink. Man, the necromancers were right... real immortals are real dicks. Your demonic leg is noticeably passive... apparently even hell isn't interested in annoying this guy.

The broom shavings do nothing. Stop trying to crib buffs from other people's buffs of other people's equipment.

I get the alchemist in a chokehold, and if i fail i just run,if i get him in the chokehold i ask him this
"How about i ask you the same question, what are you doing here?"
5+3 v 5+3

You leap out from behind a bookcase and go for the guy's neck, closing your hands on a layer of thick leather protective gear. He punches you in the gut and you shove him into a rack of vials, which collapses in a shower of sparks and broken glass. Apparently unharmed, the man struggles to his feet and reaches for some contraption holstered to his waist, at which point you're already running out the door, through corridors, into an empty classroom, and out a window.

Agility: 3+3

You leap over the fence surrounding the school-alchemist's lab-god knows what combination, and land running. The sounds of golems in hot pursuit follow you for a few blocks, but after a few minutes of sprinting zigzags they give up and run for shelter.

+1 to Puissant Fettle.  ((Do mark that this one isn't from Amdukias.))

Debrief the river-spirit.  "I'm not sure.  I'm not even certain those were the right, or only, group of assholes.  They had lights, though, that's for certain.  I'll check back in a week or so and you let me know if the job still needs doing, okay?"

Head back to Vince's.  On the way there, look in on the gryphon by the apartment.  If it's gone, look for a bit of fur or a few feathers or something.

When at Vince's, examine the rocks with mundane and magical senses, and show them to Vince to get his opinion.  Ask his opinion on trying to talk the rock-creature into making a deal.. is that the kind of thing Vince might be interested in doing?  Are the rock shards worth anything to him?

There's a lot of stuff that I'd like to do non-combat wise right now, but first up is some conversations.

To everyone except Ben, Nanami would like to know if you want to get in on her deal, where you can get somewhat of your choice of abilities, in return for something else.  There may be a few conditions, but she'd like to discuss what's going on like that now, before depicting your characters.

To Ben, Nanami will talk about how she's writing stuff about their adventures, and she would like to be told why it's a good idea to learn how to use a gun, and what Ben thinks about pacifists.

As per the conversation with Bella, and the deal with Amdukias, sort out the requisite blood-drinking required to designate her as a recipient for some new granted power.
It's also a good time to run some long-overdue tests and get ready for the next set of write-ups.  First off, check out the wound made for Bella, and see if it heals normally.  Next, gather up the extra hair in a tail and cut it off, looking to see if anything happens.

After that, need to purchase some more gear.  Painting supplies for a large landscape (the gryphon), a glass cutter and a battery-powered soldering iron, and eighty feet of red cloth, along with sewing supplies including a goodly amount of white rag and thread.

Lastly, try to start a controlled fire with gasoline somewhere outdoors, and use my wand's crystallization spell to get a 'not fire crystal' from the resulting flames.  Use an illusion to put a disguise on before doing this.

You talk to the river spirit, not really offering much consolation outside of "we dealt with something." The gryphon is gone without a trace, looks like the cultists snagged all the good momentos.

The rock shards are faintly magical, and seem to have slight telepathic abilities, but the creature doesn't seem to be alive in any way. That happens to most things when you break their brains into small chunks. Vince says that the rocks look useful, but he isn't interested in them.

Bella... drinks some of your blood. Your wound heals normally. Cutting your hair off gives you shorter hair. Wouldn't do too much of that though: you'd better be recognisable.

Painting supplies, a glass cutter, battery powdered soldering iron, eighty feet of red cloth, white rag and thread comes to... £70, call it. You're fine on cash. Although if anyone ever really wants more, it does occur to you that a team of witches could easily rob a bank.

The crysallization spell fails. You keep hitting the flaming bin or the ground or nothing. Fire isn't solid or intense enough, apparently.

A beetle with a tiny speaker embedded in its back crawls laboriously up to you. Your first task for Hell. A message from Amdukias crackles through: in the next forty-eight or so hours, he wants you to provide an opportunity for a mortal Charity CEO to embezzle some funds. It has to be set up so that the guy doesn't get suspiscious, knows he won't be caught, and can profit a great deal from the charity he's meant to be safeguarding. Complex. He sends you the details of the man's workplace by text, apparently bored of the conversation. You put the beetle carefully on the earth outside, but it's dead anyway.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 02, 2017, 01:35:52 pm »

Ask about different types of immortality like maybe just aging slower or coming back from the dead,
differences between the many undeads like ghouls, liches, vampires, and if undead are stronger at necromancy or how do I become one.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 02, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »

So he wants ammo, does he? I'll give him some fucking ammo. Use the pistolwand spell on Ben's leg, see if he can rationalize that. No muzzle flash, no gunshot. If possible, try to make the resulting bullet 5.7×28mm, rather than 9mm. A tasty flesh snack for his gun, no?
Note, I'm going to do this unannounced, from and angle Ben can't see me from immediately, so he can't shoot me before i cast.
Also I'm doing this outdoors. I'm assuming that Ben goes outdoors occasionally.

I'm not going to assume I survive that, but if I do:

What do I need to burn to learn Heal Burn? That's kinda important. Maybe find a magical aloe plant to burn.
Try making a bullet from my Pyromancy Flame. Probably weakens my power a little, but it's worth it for the single "magic bullet".
Make bullets from cardboard, wax, a ceramic plate, glass, water, scrap metal, hard plastic (from bigger outdoors trash bins), grass, dirt, concrete, and Nanami's hair.
See if I can make bullets in calibres other than 9mm.
Burn all the bullets I make, except for a few which I'll test fire with an empty magazine in a quiet place.
Wander around and look for random magical things which I can swipe and burn/bulletify.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 03:03:28 am by Egan_BW »

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 02, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »

(Is having your legs removed in this game some sort of running joke?)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:54:42 pm by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 02, 2017, 03:50:24 pm »

"Hmm, forty-eight hours, I'd better put everything else on hold."

There's three ways that come to mind right away to provide someone with an opportunity for embezzlement.  The first two require some investigation as to their viability.

Most important piece of info is how large of a charity is this?  How much money seems reasonable to count as an opportunity?

First, is the charity dealing with any kind of material donations, or just cash?  Goods, equipment, labor, etcetera?  That'll be required for the first plan.

Second plan is dependant on how the charity is funded.  Does it seek donations from businesses or private individuals?  Is it government funded?  Is there a trust or stock fund that pays for the charity's operations?

If neither of those are viable, I'll proceed with plan #3, but the other two will be better if the charity is suitable.

I doubt it's required, but don't let Bella take my hair.  It's mine and I don't trust Bella enough to give it to her without her at least asking first.

Also, don't let Sir Worthington loot any bodies or burn corpses.  If he wanted a cut of the loot, he should have been there for the fight, and if Bella should die her broom belongs to me, as per our agreement that was literally just made last turn.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:17:42 am by Devastator »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 02, 2017, 07:50:54 pm »

(Is having your legs removed in this game some sort of running joke?)
Oh, speaking of legs, do I still have my severed legs? IIRC, NJW2000 said that a pyromancer could burn them to learn the pyromancy spells that I knew when I lost my leg. I'd be willing to give it to Egan_BW in exchange for him helping me kill the alligator spirit and getting the ghost-mafia off of my back once I do so.

Burn the corpse of Amdukias's messenger beetle.

If a fight breaks out between Egan_BW and Ben, burn the corpses of anyone who dies in the fight. Save their gear first, though.

Burn my scuttle gem.

So, does anybody wanna help me kill a ghost-alligator that's affiliated with the spirit mafia? It's for a good cause.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:43:42 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 02, 2017, 08:00:49 pm »

Maybe later, I'm getting myself killed right now.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 02, 2017, 08:14:11 pm »

Maybe later, I'm getting myself killed right now.
Any particular reason for doing that?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 02, 2017, 08:17:47 pm »

Because I have to put ben in his place.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 02, 2017, 08:46:50 pm »

But he's just having fun playing his character in a (mostly) non-disruptive manner!

Do you murder allies over minor arguments on a regular basis or something?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 02, 2017, 08:55:55 pm »

But he's just having fun playing his character in a (mostly) non-disruptive manner!

Do you murder allies over minor arguments on a regular basis or something?
ATHATH is kind of right, you can't just turn his legs into bullets for playing as a gunsman who doesn't belive in magic and has been kind of rude to the rest of the team.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 02, 2017, 09:00:00 pm »

Ben has threatened to kill Bella. If syv's just playing his character, so am I. I bear no ill will towards syv, he's my friend. I don't consider attacking someone's character for genuine roleplaying reasons to be an aggressive OOC act. It's just part of the story.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 86