Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 154173 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #735 on: September 17, 2017, 05:40:33 pm »

Im guessing the source of power we needed was that rock. Since its now dead, go find another group of witches near another power source or something.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:09 am »

What happens if you invest puissant clots into yourself? After all, we're all magical, right? Would you become a Physical Adept (people that use magic to augment their mundane skills so that they can do awesome things) from Shadowrun or something?

That could be a possible route for Ben to go down- we'd just have to convince him (possibly with the aid of stuff made from these magical space rocks) to do a meditation session or something like that.
"Yourself" is a bit unspecific. You could turn your fingers into wands without cutting them off, I guess. And if you find some way to integrate something that can use clots into your body (a magical tool of some kind, perhaps), that's fine.

I'm a bit leary of letting people just use clots as a second source of statpoints instead... that would have to be very well managed. Of course, you can just shove a clot into yourself, which would be the same as shoving one into a mortal: completely unpredictable.

Tell you what, you can put clots into yourself, seeing as I let people just put clots into objects, BUT you have to put them into a specific organ/body feature. And it might be an idea to do something to that organ, if you have anything specific in mind, rather than just get a generic boost or random positive mutation.

"And what would this 'something' be?"
The crocodile spirit explains that he organises assassinations and beatdowns in the spirit world.

To get your business relationship onto a good footing and make up for your interference in his business and servants, he wants you to eliminate a certain undead. Someone literally immortal, in fact: a mage who cannot die, whether you behead him, vaporise him, mince him, whatever. The pieces regroup or regrow. He recommends kicking the guy into an underworld portal or hell dimension or something.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:03:23 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: September 18, 2017, 01:05:32 pm »

Wouldn't you just get spells, like you do with any other item?  And not particularly good ones, due to your organs being items with no particular architectural attachment to London?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 18, 2017, 02:01:56 pm »

Eh. You can stuff clots into things to make tools. At least, Ao was going to do that before he disappeared.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 18, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »

Yeah, a bit too bad there.  Had some plans around that.  So it goes.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 18, 2017, 05:12:23 pm »

"Do you know what method he used to achieve such immortality?"

"I accept your job offer."

"Who ordered you to bind the Japanese spirit to the banana tree, and why? Are you allowed to tell me?"

In addition to my previous actions, head over to the computer-necromancers and ask them about this mysterious immortal mage. Perhaps they might know how to deal with him.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 18, 2017, 05:13:23 pm »

Who you gonna call...

Ghost (Kneecap) Busters!

Da da da da da, da, da da da da da, da...

Also, we're on our 50th page! Woot!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 05:15:47 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: September 19, 2017, 12:13:35 am »

Listen for any footsteps, and if there are noone go through the doors
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #743 on: September 19, 2017, 08:54:15 pm »

Well, a lot of stuff seems to be happening, huh?

Ben's first priority is to get free, and his second priority is to get his stuff back.  He's going to check if that crazy girl used all his ammo, and probably yell at her about not touching a man's rifle without his permission.  He's also not gonna accept riding her broom--flying on a cleaning implement is insane--opting to stay with Nanami instead for now.

He'll inspect whatever gun turns up, see if he's familiar with it.  And then he'll collect all the available guns, and start hoofing it back to Vince's before any police show up.  No stopping for snacks.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:27 pm »

"Ben, just take the guns and get back to the boss' place.  I can talk my way through the cops, but you're a dirty, crazed looking old man.  Get out of here and get back to base before this place is crawling with them."

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 20, 2017, 04:13:16 am »

Decide last moment that this zweihander is way too fucking heavy and go back for a moment just to leave it there and just get the curved sword instead and go back, listen for footsteps, if there arent any go upstairs
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:19:02 am by PaPaj »
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 25, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »

((Heh, literally suggested to syv to make him a magical tinfoil helmet.))

Get up and head over to the area with the pipes, and try to force the idiot with the gun into submission.  Keep my wand up to shoot him if he tries something stupid.  Use an illusion on myself to try and strike the right balance, getting him to freeze instead of bolting or shooting back.
Im guessing the source of power we needed was that rock. Since its now dead, go find another group of witches near another power source or something.

"Get on the ground, you arsehole, and you'd better start talking, or you'll quite literally be going through hell."

What I want to know is, in order, what "The Light" is, and how to get a sample, if it's a physical substance, and what was going on here.

If the guy bolts or is killed, skip the interrogation.

After that, free Ben and ask him to take all the guns and weapons and get back to Vince's as it'll be bad if the cops find us with them.

In general, do my best to loot whatever's worth taking, from the debris from the rock and anything magic-sight picks up.  I'll leave the guns for the others.  If the cops start coming in, hand my backpack with the loot, my firearm, and my wand to Bella, and ask her to take them to Vince's, as I should be able to escape from the police with the right illusion.

If Bella isn't around for that, throw the backpack with the contraband in the canal, and check in with the river spirit to recover the stuff.

The illusion to evade the cops will be to look like a fairly normal human a few years younger than Nanami, dirtied in the blast, and simply try to walk out of the area.  With any luck they'll just shoo the kid away and I can get back to Vince's.

If I'm less lucky, play up being non-communicative with shock, and try to wrangle a few moments alone, where I can change the illusion to look like an officer and get further away.

If Nanami gets away from all that, she'll just head back to Vince's.
Well, a lot of stuff seems to be happening, huh?

Ben's first priority is to get free, and his second priority is to get his stuff back.  He's going to check if that crazy girl used all his ammo, and probably yell at her about not touching a man's rifle without his permission.  He's also not gonna accept riding her broom--flying on a cleaning implement is insane--opting to stay with Nanami instead for now.

He'll inspect whatever gun turns up, see if he's familiar with it.  And then he'll collect all the available guns, and start hoofing it back to Vince's before any police show up.  No stopping for snacks.

As the rock's light fades, Bella's eye immediately light up with excitement.
"Yes! Yes! I have so much power!"

Two clots into the broom, now. Give Ben his stuff back. Mount up and go loot some guns from those guys who were shooting me. Grab a pistol and make it a wand with my other clot. Grab any bits of the rock that still seem unusual in any way. Or just grab a bunch of normal-looking pieces, cause hey, free space rock. In fact, make sure to grab a whole lot of rocks even if they seem useless, because I can probably pawn them off to fools. Give Ben a lift back to Vince's. Do all this as rapidly as possible.
Bella immediately upgrades her broom, transforming it from the airborne equivalent of a mountain bike to a turbocharged Harley Davidson. Eyes gleaming with magical potential, she drops a bag of knives on the restrained and fuming Ben, then flies with Nanami to the industrial area.

The four men there are confused and demoralized, apparently having no recollection of what they were doing the past few days and why, or any knowledge of the magical world. A judicious mixture of glamour and groin kicks persuades them to disarm, as the two witches imitate government agents, but interrogation reveals nothing. Bella takes a pistol from one man, a snub nosed glock perfect for stealthy carrying. Nanami unties Ben, who picks up an FN Minimi light machine gun and another taser.

Ben starts running, having concealed his weapons, and manages to get away without being seen by the numerous police and army vehicles converging on the area. Zamenis follows him, ending up back at Vince's house. Stella just gets a handful of shards of space rock and flies directly upwards at 50 mph, returning to Vince's house far above the circling helicopters.

Nanami tosses her backpack, along with several fist-sized fragments of rock, into the canal. She then changes her appearance into a convincingly ashy and traumatized passer-by. As soldiers storm through the area towards the disoriented men still lurking among the machines, she is passed back along to the field ambulances and and police cars surrounding the crime scene. A few seconds alone, and she ditches her shock blanket, striding away as a dark-suited officer and brushing past soldiers, excited onlookers. Once past the crowds and vehicles, she drops the illusion bit by bit, and dips one finger into the canal. A minute later, her backpack rises to the surface, completely dry. The river spirit squirms onto the grass at her feet, and asks when the water will be the same again.

Okay, everybody involved gets 1 point to add to any magical or non-magical stat or skill of their choice. Basically, +1 on anything on the character sheet.

Decide last moment that this zweihander is way too fucking heavy and go back for a moment just to leave it there and just get the curved sword instead and go back, listen for footsteps, if there arent any go upstairs
You get a curved sword. It's rusty, but sharp enough. You creep past the massive alchemical equipment in the room, and into a wide, open room with a marked wooden floor, like some kind of sports hall or gym. It is completely strewn with arcane-looking objects. The walls are piled head-high with books, scrolls, tomes and blueprints. Rows of beakers, bunsen burners, flasks and vials are ranged haphazardly on rickety shelves, while skeletons, dead insects, stuffed animals and dessicated body parts are stacked on countless makeshift tables. Wine bottles containing potent, magical or just plain weird liquids stand about in every free space, and hundreds of pages of alchemical notes and diagrams cover every free bit of floor. Working experiments seem to be in progress everywhere, as furnaces blast away at evil-smelling concotions, mice scrabble at the sides of glass cages of weird gas, and sparks bounce between metal objects that defy description. In short, it's a well-equipped and ordered alchemist's laboratory.

You catch sight of an oddly familiar figure in leather apron and goggles working furiously in one corner, and slowly start to creep away.

Agility: 1+3

You step on a delicately sculpted minature crocodile, which breaks with a resounding crunch. The alchemist immediately peers, round, and calls out, "Who's there? Who let you in?". You manage to cower behind a bookshelf devoted to Sanskrit treatises on astrology and sky creatures, while the man walks over. You have a few options here. Open flight is one... you're a pretty good runner. Trying to sneak off is a possibility, he hasn't seen you yet. Or you could fight, or do something else.

"Do you know what method he used to achieve such immortality?"

"I accept your job offer."

"Who ordered you to bind the Japanese spirit to the banana tree, and why? Are you allowed to tell me?"

In addition to my previous actions, head over to the computer-necromancers and ask them about this mysterious immortal mage. Perhaps they might know how to deal with him.
"And what would this 'something' be?"

After negotiations, head back to Sen's apartment (or Vince's lair, if Sen's apartment is no longer safe/being investigated as a crime scene) and have him teach me what he knows about magic/spirit binding.

Oh, and pluck a hair from Sen's head, tie it into a knot, then burn it to see what ability I get.

"If I knew how to make someone unkillable, you think I'd be haunting a building site running a ghost mafia? And I'm not telling you anything about my other clients. Now bugger off before I change my mind about not killing you."

You leave full of confidence. Sen's hair is apparently insufficiently magical to teach you anything new about pyromancy. He also knows disappointingly little about what he did to the female bannana-tree spirit. He does however have a wide knowledge of what various types of undead are vulnerable or invulnerable to.

The necromancers at the shop scowl and roll their eyes when you mention the immortal guy, "Johnson" to them. He's extremely skilled, and as much of a smug prick as you'd expect a millenia-old human to be. Everyone  him, but nobody's willing to go up against him because he bears grudges for as long as it takes and can't be permenantly stopped. He's too smart to annoy anything really powerful, because even physical immortality won't stop an elder god swatting you into the fires of the end times or a really abyssal thing from swallowing you whole. He became immortal by somehow taking an attribute of a god, but nobody knows exactly how, and the god damn well ain't saying.

They suggest that physical assault is pointless unless to slow him down, but you'll probably want several guys on him at once, as Johnson has spent literally centuries practicing martial arts. They think that if you can get a really powerful entity to focus on him, it might do the trick, but that'll be too difficult in all probability. They also are in favour of finding some kind of portal to somewhere really nasty, kicking him into it and throwing away the key, or finding some kind of completely permenant enchantment. It'll have to be strong though, this guy has literally walked out of hell a few times. Finally, they give you directions to the God he stole something from, but warns you that he doesn't like visitors, especially not humans. Then again, he probably likes Johnson even less.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:28 pm »

+1 aim, I hope this will improve my wand damage and hit. Maybe research about necromancy and lichdom, or magic related to life and death like healing, inmortality, flesh magic, that sort of things.
And search the house for more knives, mainly for those that are sharp or could be thrown

(If upgraded brooms can be controlled mentally and are faster, I could throw my mop-spear broom at enemies. How many clots do I need to upgrade it?)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:07:26 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 25, 2017, 01:50:16 pm »

Looks like you forgot to update the number of clots I have and the tier of my broom. Should be 1 clot and a tier 4 broom now.

Think I'm gonna use my remaining clot to make a wand out of my gun. That's possible, right? Is the gun still able to fire normal bullets once wandified? Would the gunwand have a lower power due to already being a weapon? I wouldn't think so, because it's not magical. Are some wands better than others for parrying? Would the gunwand be good for parrying? Unless the answer is that I could get a better parrying wand with something other than the gun, Clot it up.

+1 Banal!

ATHATH said he would teach me pyromancy for some spacerocks, so give him some spacerocks and learn pyromancy if he has the time right now.

Can I access the magic market yet?

Take a cuppa Nam blood.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:35:27 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 86