Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 86

Author Topic: COVEN: Gulled Goldsmiths and Lost Locomotives  (Read 153613 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - Open World
« Reply #540 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:09 pm »

@Necromancers: What if one were to provide a substitute for the rational mind to a ghoul? Like, say, a computerized/cyborg brain attachment?

@Necromancers: How common are ghouls, vampires, and liches?

@Necromancers: Tell me about skeletons and zombies. How are they made? Are they sapient? What are their abilities? How common are they?

"Goethe, perhaps we should take the string to someone who has more skill in Runic Sight. I have 25 pounds; if we pool our money together, we can afford to buy the tree."

Ask the monks for more information on what the pests are. Go follow OceanSoul, and pool my money to buy the tree with him (if he wants to). Haggle the price of the tree down first. If he's not going anywhere/if I can do this as well, go check out the "pest" in the park.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 29, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »

Thank the monks for the tour, and claim that, while we chose not to use their services, we will keep them in mind for future occasions of need. Go with Jimmy and Worthington to the lady (we can buy the tree after the deed, right? confirm this with lady), and, if everyone agrees, cut her string and ask her name. Not sure what to cut with, though. "Anyone got a small blade, of some sort? Also, why do we need sight?"
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 30, 2017, 01:18:04 am »

Thank the monks for the tour, and claim that, while we chose not to use their services, we will keep them in mind for future occasions of need. Go with Jimmy and Worthington to the lady (we can buy the tree after the deed, right? confirm this with lady), and, if everyone agrees, cut her string and ask her name. Not sure what to cut with, though. "Anyone got a small blade, of some sort? Also, why do we need sight?"
"Presumably, the string is magically linked to its creator, and someone with enough skill in Runic Sight could trace or follow that link."

"I can burn the string, if that would work."

If the spirit thinks it's a good idea, burn the string.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 30, 2017, 01:19:17 am »

"Spirit, what did you do to get yourself into this situation? In other words, why were you bound to this tree?"

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 30, 2017, 01:50:59 pm »

"Presumably, the string is magically linked to its creator, and someone with enough skill in Runic Sight could trace or follow that link."

"It's just a normal string, I've confirmed it already. And burning might work well.  For all we know, the doer might be a string being that's prone to fire".
"Spirit, what did you do to get yourself into this situation? In other words, why were you bound to this tree?"
"She's confirmed with me that she doesn't know. Just woke up like this one day. Or something".
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 30, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »

Head out to the Monk's pest hunting job.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 30, 2017, 04:22:31 pm »

"It's just a normal string, I've confirmed it already. And burning might work well.  For all we know, the doer might be a string being that's prone to fire".
"She's confirmed with me that she doesn't know. Just woke up like this one day. Or something".
"How can you 'confirm' it if you are a relative novice (1 skill rank) at Runic Sight? That's like saying that because a muggle couldn't feel anything magical about a rock, the rock isn't magical."

"And what if the spirit is lying? What if it was chained to that tree for a good reason? If I was chained to a tree and needed outside assistance to escape, I'd probably do the same thing."

"If she doesn't know why or how she entered this situation, how does she know that her tree needs to be bought and/or her string needs to be severed in order for her to be freed?"

Use my l33t Practicality skillz to determine if the spirit is lying, leaving anything out in her story, telling half-truths, or otherwise attempting to deceive us.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:25:32 pm by ATHATH »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: COVEN: Mission Three - The Pest in the Park
« Reply #547 on: July 02, 2017, 02:04:25 pm »

"Yes that's what i am looking for,a power source of it"

The alchemist chews his robe a little and spits philosophically. The projectile doesn't get further than his voluminous beard.

"Naw, can't recall much like that round hereabouts. There is nothing here that you seek. 'Less you mean the burny things in the sky few nights back. Over in the east thawass. Might take a look-see round there, if I were you."

This guy seems really anxious to get back to his lab. And you feel a lot like leaving him be, and checking out the stuff in the east, weirdly.

Oh, and you gain a puissant clot. It feels exactly like you'd expect having a hunk of raw magical energy stuck on the edges of your brain to feel. You can use it to make wands and staffs and stuff and do magic, check the OP for more details.

Well, not going to press my luck.  Vince will definately be interested in the gryphon, even if it isn't exactly what he was looking for.  Just gotta think up a way to get it.  Time to move on, in any case.

Pack up and head out of here before something goes wrong.  I'll check back at the end of the day (to look for a feather or fur or something.), but nothing else now.  Then head to the next location, the parking lot in the light industrial area.

Also, do I feel any unspent power?

"Ben, I think we're mostly done here, but you could come with me to the next location, or maybe follow one of these people home.  The person with the pendant may be important to keep track of.  I'll leave it up to you either way."

(Also gotta remember that the cellphones are going to be liabilities upon commiting crimes, due to the ease of tracking them, and to leave it at home when scamming, or going out to do murder and mayhem.  I'm also miffed at the idea that I couldn't walk about six blocks without staring at a phone.. if I ever get a broom, I'm fucked.  ;-p)

(I was also thinking of requiring me to put my own blood into something, somewhere, or someone to enable it to be affected under the terms of the deal.)
You quickly find the parking lot, and spend a few minutes searching it. Finally, down by the edge of a muddy river nearby, you find a kappa or water spirit, looking lost and afraid. A small creature, scaly-skinned and high-domed, it stares at you with large grey eyes, and seems to be on the verge of tears. The skin is a little greenish, and rivulets of water pour from a tiny ball of magical energy upon its head.

It beckons you tentatively.

(Quite right about the cell phones. I probably won't take them into account when murdering mortals though, don't worry.)

Can we just say Ben doesn't have a cell?  He'd be fine with a radio, but civvie phones are fragile luxury items that have no place in a true soldier's kit.  He most certainly doesn't just dislike them because he has a hard time with computers, no siree.

Anyway, he's gonna keep trailing behind Nanami.

"Hah, like I'd want to follow cultists around.  These sorts of people are always begging for others to follow them wherever.  Let me tell you, Miss, there's nothing to gain by associating with them, they're just children who want attention."
Yup, no phone for Ben. Not like he was a functional member of mortal society.

You look at the mud-covered little runt Nanami is staring at. Typical woman, it must be bringing out her mothering instincts or something. You surreptitiously aim at it with the P50 through the bag. Just as a precaution, of course.

@Necromancers: What if one were to provide a substitute for the rational mind to a ghoul? Like, say, a computerized/cyborg brain attachment?

@Necromancers: How common are ghouls, vampires, and liches?

@Necromancers: Tell me about skeletons and zombies. How are they made? Are they sapient? What are their abilities? How common are they?

"Goethe, perhaps we should take the string to someone who has more skill in Runic Sight. I have 25 pounds; if we pool our money together, we can afford to buy the tree."

Ask the monks for more information on what the pests are. Go follow OceanSoul, and pool my money to buy the tree with him (if he wants to). Haggle the price of the tree down first. If he's not going anywhere/if I can do this as well, go check out the "pest" in the park.
@N: You mean putting a computer-brain into a ghoul's body? Yeah, not too hard.
@N: Not very common. More common though unobtrusize. Quite common, though not as common as necromancers generally.
@N: Skeletons? Same as zombies. You can reanimate them with small amounts of magic. The amount of magic you put in determines abilities/sapience. Necromancery generally requires rit, and a certain link with death. This link could come in the form of undeath, an artifact, even a morbid expression, though it will change one's nature and warp one's magical ability towards darker paths if used. Fairly common, really: useful for manual labour that require very little thought and initiative. Also make cheap guards.

Nobody is buying the string, so you go check out the pest in the park. See below.

You and your companions cut the string in several places, there being no objections or reasons not to. The lady looks much relieved, and says her name is Nōhime. She still wants you to follow the string and kill whoever tied it. Clearly, bannana-tree spirits don't like having string tied round their trees.

You don't burn the string yet, because someone wants you to find one end and the other is a goddamn tree. Might be worth burning to learn a simple pyromancy later though.

"I lived long ago in Japan, married to a powerful daimyo. After I died, I was not buried. And my spirit lingered thus, drifting across the fields, until I became anchored by a young bannana tree. The locals revered the tree, building a shrine by it, though they were unaware of my noble background. Several hundred years later, some idiot took a cutting from the tree on holiday, and brought it back to England. Somehow I was transferred too, and have spent the last few years trying to ignore an idiotic hipster mortal who thinks amber has magic antiviral properties and can't see ghosts. Then the hipster tried to sell the tree here, someone tied the string round it, and here I am."

Head out to the Monk's pest hunting job.
See below.

Use my l33t Practicality skillz to determine if the spirit is lying, leaving anything out in her story, telling half-truths, or otherwise attempting to deceive us.
Eh, it makes sense. Her story adds up, though she didn't really go into why a daimyo's wife would go unburied. You also wonder if the man who tied the string has some connection to her past.

The Pest in the Park

Ben and Sir Worthington walk to the bit of the park the monks told them to. Hidden by trees on each side, it's a circle of grass about twenty metres across. And in the centre is a pile of leaf mulch and earth stacked around a giant hole.

Sir Worthington peers in. A scorpion as long as him, back covered in writhing grubs the size of footballs, stares back. And begins to scuttle out.

The grubs pour off it, and advance slowly towards you, moving oddly. Their numbers change each time you look, sometimes ten, sometimes fifteen, scuttling over and under one another in patterns that make no physical sense. The mother advances a lot faster, light and air distorting around the poised sting.

Pests indeed.

Spoiler: sheets (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 02, 2017, 02:14:40 pm »

"Well only one way to go i guess" he thinks and heads east
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: July 02, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »

NOPE

I DON'T CARE IF ITS TAIL IS AN INCREDIBLY POWERFUL MAGICAL ARTIFACT OR SOMETHING, IT'S GONNA DIE

HORRIBLY

IN ACID

Nuke it with my worm. Then nuke it again after my worm recharges. Then nuke its nest. Then nuke its nest again.

Then report my success back to the monks.

So, I can burn the string (or other magical stuff) later to improve my pyromancy? Would the pyromancy spells that I'd learn be influenced by what I burned (i.e. if I burned the string, would I gain the ability to make a fire snake/whip or twist fire to constrain opponents?)? Take the string with me.

Can I animate the dead by just putting clots into them? Would becoming a lich serve as a focus for my necromancy?

Do I have to use my phylactery to consume my lich-food (if I become a lich), or can I just bury it somewhere?

@Tree-woman: "How did you die? Why weren't you buried? Can you tell us anything about the man that tied this string around you?"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:50:09 pm by ATHATH »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 02, 2017, 04:54:13 pm »

Okay, after taking some time to think about this, I'll allow Jimmy to loot the corpse and the nest after my first nuke (and before my second one). But I want half of the loot, and if more start pouring out, I'm gonna fire as soon as I am able, regardless of what's nearby.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:47:05 pm by ATHATH »

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: July 02, 2017, 04:57:00 pm »

Hm... Are my legs still around? If so, are they magical? If so, can I burn them to gain power?

If not, can I burn other parts of myself to gain power, Planescape: Torment style?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 02, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »

(I'm very much wondering if this is one of those 'lure near the waterside and drown people' water spirits.  That said.. I've got an idea.)

"Ben, can you go and get a travel cup or a water bottle or something big enough to hold something about that big in it, and one that has a lid?  Indicate the size of the magic water source with my fingers. "I'll go talk with it and find out what's up."  "Don't worry, I'll be careful."

Go closer to the water spirit, but stay about five or so feet away, and ask it to describe the problem.  If it comes closer, lure it further away from the water.  Try to use my seduction training to figure out if it's genuinely distressed or faking it.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 02, 2017, 08:56:08 pm »

Follow the string, with the others. Have bone wand at the ready, and upgrade it with clots if whatever I see provides one to me. I doubt it, though, but it's worth being ready for.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 02, 2017, 10:00:07 pm »

Eh, screw the gimmick, I want runes.

Name: Bella, the Speed Witch
Backstory: Bella likes fast things, and fast things like Bella. Motorcycles, sports cars, airplanes, gravity... Bella likes it all. Gotta go fast.
Physical Description: Skin wrapped around some organs and bones and blood and such. Some of it sprouting hairs of some length or another. Just the right number of eyes, and slightly less than standard number of teeth. Nose adorned with a pair of nostrils. Four limbs ending in wiggly cute digits. Average color is pinkish.
Stats:

Magical stats:
Runic sight: 2
Banal Combat: 1

Physical stats:
Melee 1
Agility 2
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 86