Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185873 times)

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1575 on: February 22, 2018, 03:57:29 pm »

Cactus wasn't feeling too safe, right now. Alright, he was stoked to discover he had a brother and sister, not to mention his mom took care to find and care for him, but now he's in a big house, and mother looks way too tired to protect him. Adam and Alice seemed happy to just stay in her hair and play with eachother, but not Cactus, nonono! He needs to find a safe spot. Fortunately for him, he found the safest spot of all. Not in mother's hair, where you could fall or end up tangled or worse! Pull on it. She's in enough pain without thing pulling on her hair. Instead, Cactus nestles in a special little part of her. The switch between spider and man. The change of blood temperature leaves a fairly warm spot if you stay right there. It'd be more accurate to say that it's more of a magic run-off. It's comfy, really comfy. After trying to survive against rats, and only barely escaping the ever so dangerous food (the second he spawned, spikes were shooting into the meat! What kind of creature has such a defense mechanism!?), any kind of warmth is very welcome. Cactus liked the red flower that consumed the building. A lot, in fact. though it was too hot to touch, he still loved it. He was especially fascinated by the one he stung in the ankle and was caught by the fire. He danced in such a funny manner, and his flesh was delicious! Even better than his first taste, even IF it was less nutritious. the first few bites are the most important in a spiderling's life, he knew that much, but that doesn't take away that he gets value out of his meals. But really, if he could just unleash some fire again, he'd be happy as a clam.
whatever those are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You wake up after a long, welldeserved sleep. Your kids are spread out over your body, little points of warmth over you. The one at the base of your spine was a bit of a surprise, though. All the other ones preferred the hair, from what you understand. They squeaked happily when you started moving again. At least they don't have any problems with waiting for you. The newest one still seems to love you, which is actually a great relief. Cactus is still a little skittish in comparison to most, but he isn't that shy. You decide to cuddle with him a little, but it soon turns into a group care session. You're not sure who's comforting who the most, though. You move to the bathroom after a while, carrying one of your outfits with you. You need a shower after all this, especially ever since somebody explained to you what a shower even is. An in-house waterfall sounds lovely, to say the least. Not to mention, you'll be the cleanest you've ever been. Their tub is just big enough for you to fit, though it's a bit of a tight squeeze for the legs. Some are sticking out, but you'll just wash it using a washing cloth. You wonder if there's some sort of polish available here, like that spa so many years ago...
You'd need help applying it anyway, though. You'll just settle for washing it the normal way, and drying yourself off through patience and being grateful water doesn't stick too well to carapace.
Your shower's quite comfortable, apart from your lack of an arm making it a little more difficult. It's... humbling, to be unable to wash yourself the same way. Fortunately, your wound seems to have been cauterised when it happened. It's just fused together flesh at the stump, a hideous scar, but nothing is open. It's safe to wash, necessary, even. Safe doesn't mean painless, however.
Washing your spiders is also something you make the time for. Making doubly sure that the soup doesn't get into their delicate little eyes, you wash the ash and dirt off everywhere you can, with the care only a mother could bring. You'll do anything to protect them, and any who follow you will do the same.
You wonder what meat they would prefer...

After a long, warm shower you start drying yourself off and put on your outfit. It's a bit of a trial with the single arm, but you eventually manage. Your shirt sleeve looks ridiculous, not filled with anything. It's...
You're glad you'll get a fix for that soon. If that wasn't the case you probably would have had a whole scene of angst and you've really got better things to do.
Like getting that new arm.
When you go downstairs, your hair still a little wet (you try drying long hair off properly with only one arm!), you see Meandra's father with a glass of wine in a recliner. He looks tired, but oddly satisfied. He has Pesto on his lap, petting the undead cat. The cat is purring like an engine.
Ah! Sydney. I haven't had the chance to thank you for a successful job. That offer for the elbow is on the table, considering what happened. Although, I'll be honest, it will cut into my emergency funds. With my daughter here, I should avoid any kind of dip in the market, but... he looks apprehensive for a moment. It's clearly a bit of trouble for him to offer this. You wonder if Meandra forced it on him.
You know, there's all sorts of advantages to proper cybernetics. As long as you don't go for the cheap stuff. You've got the money for it, now, even without the bonus.
Too much collateral?
Indeed, but the safe was underground. It was saved from most of the blast. A portion of it was upstairs, which Julius was using as an improvised safehouse if Sucy was correct. Toughest safe door around, but he forgot about the walls. He snorts in amusement.
Not so clever, were you, Jules...
Well, I suppose I should make a choice. Looking at the options, I'll...

Get a full cybernetic arm.
You'll have to go find a seller, first, but you know at least one person who can get you into contact of relatively cheap ones. Maybe you'll find an eye there, too!

Take the elbow actuator
Look, if you're going to offer it, I'm not going to refuse it. I'm sure you'll be fine for this financial quarter...

Pay for the elbow actuator
You can just go for a cheaper alternative to a cybernetic arm. No goodies, but you'll walk away with nearly all of your money remaining and without burdening this family during an admittedly dangerous period of financials.

Go purist
You're a necromancer, damn it! You'll regrow that limb, taking from the dead if you have to, and you'll just make use of it. Free, familiar and kinda awesome.

Something else.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Party members

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 22, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »

Go Purist

Some people get perfectly good limbs cut off for cybernetics.  I'm sure a doc would be willing to part with one of those, cut to the appropriate location, for way cheaper than a cyberlimb.  And you don't have to worry about it running out of juice or something when you're a thousand miles from here.  Besides, you might want cyber for the eyes, anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 22, 2018, 05:46:06 pm »

Full Cybernetic

It's awesome. Might even be able to cram some extra features in. And if it breaks, we'll stil be a necromancer and have the option of an organic graft.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 22, 2018, 05:52:47 pm »

(I'd rather spend money on a gun, than a cyberlimb.)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 22, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 22, 2018, 06:53:05 pm »

we should ask first if we are going to have maintaining problems outside, some guns we can't take out of the dwarven city, and what will we do when they damage the cybernetic arm?

I am considering to take the elbow payment, but before we just say about how exportation works here in dwarven city, she could make an trade deal with eveline and sell buy some alchemy/flora stuff is giant cave spider stuff rare here? diversification of business is key maybe she would get something nice (or we could get some info about business and point partners on outside world wherever is possible)
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 22, 2018, 07:41:15 pm »

Cyberlimbs are like 2.5x more awesome than guns.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 22, 2018, 08:13:46 pm »

Cyberlimbs are like 2.5x more awesome than guns.
That implies we'll get 2.5x more gun than cyberlimb.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 22, 2018, 08:16:16 pm »

The "per dollar" part was implied. ;P

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 23, 2018, 12:44:12 am »

Shop around! We really want to stick with a natural body, especially with all these crazy mutations we have been getting(who knows what crazy mutation we might get that actually focuses on the cybernetics...) but we've never seen the cybernetics on offer, maybe there is something on offer that we just can't resist! And if we still want to go natural, they are likely to know where the bits that get replaced with metal end up... So let's go window shopping and see what arms, elbows, and eyes our budget can ask for.

Who knows, maybe they even have some sort of spider-drones with super-legs...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 23, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »

...go SHOPPING!
That was not the answer I expected, to be honest. I'm relieved, to be perfectly honest. Now, shall I drive you to the official stores or...
I know a guy. I... don't think he'd like me mentioning his name, he's kind of attached to his privacy.
Well, you know shadowrunners...
Actually, I don't. But I get it either way. What time is it?
Half past eight... I like an early bit of wine, so sue me.
Aren't you the head honcho of a company? Why aren't you going off to work?
I'm not in direct control of company at the moment, I just hold most of the stocks. IF something big happens, they need to run it by me. A temporary arrangement, though. Now that my daughter is back, I'll be taking a more active role once more... Once I feel like it. And the paperwork is finished... And whatever else bureaucracy can dig up to ruin my day. Here's a hint from me to you: never allow bureaucrats to run anything.
I'll... keep it in mind?

You just spend a little time throughout the house for a few more hours. You went to bed early, so you suppose it makes sense. Although you do question the tendency to sleep until ten AM. Seems wasteful of your waking hours, to be honest. You had to wake up at six back in your innkeeping days, or earlier if there were early risers. Your sleeping habits have become a little more wasteful in recent years, though, but still. You later discover that Meandra was just hard at work on the balcony, applying her plant magic to the herbs and whatnot. You would have made breakfast, but cooking with one arm seems rather difficult. You know you could probably manage, but...
You didn't find the nerve.
When everybody was up, they seemed happy to spend the money right away, while Yunikki mostly just wanted to protect you more closely. She's been clingy all morning, for some reason. Once she was up, at least, she sleeps like a log. Sucy contacted Snip, who left her a means to contact him. A phone number, some kind of code you fill in to talk to somebody at great range. Limited from phone to phone, though, not as easy as a communication portal. Although, you only assume it's easy if you follow social studies at the orc tower, you never learned it.
Not needing to be a wizard is probably a pretty great advantage, though. Probably pretty great, in that sense.

Snip wasn't really able to let you do some window-shopping, but he did open up the options he knows he can get. He sent you a list of both augmentations and guns.
Augmentations
elbbbOw fix (sic)- 50 dollars
The cheapest of the cheap, these are actually made by a small gang of underground doctors, doing their best to help as many people as possible to get back to work. It's junkyard chic, to say it politely. If you want to say it obviously, looking at it probably warrants a tetanus shot. Also of note, the underground doctors tend to be high as a fucking kite when they work. Still, it's cheap, and it still doesn't require anti-rejection drugs.

MED-tec Elbow Actuator -150 dollars
This one's a basic model for the people that managed to save their arm and don't wanna spring for anti-rejection drugs. Low-budget as they come, but it doesn't need much more than a natural mana supply to keep running. For 100 extra dollars, you get a piece of sunstone, if you have zero mana. Rare defect, not worth it.

Gen-1 Shale-corp bionic arm -250 dollars
If you're absolutely desperate for an arm, this is the cheapest on the market. It's a damned scam, though, the anti-rejection drugs set you back about 20 a pop. Not to mention, it doesn't have a lot of grip strength, or dexterity. Might as well graft a hook on the stump.

Gen-2 Shale-corp Cybernetics -350 dollars
Notably better. About the same quality as a modern cybernetic limb, but you still need the rejection drugs. Grip strength and dexterity are about what you'd need for a basic life. Less ideal for strenuous circumstances. Needs a power source, but your own mana works well enough. Going by topsider metrics, it's about 10 maximum mana removed, no issue for most.

Gen-3 Shale-corp Cybernetics FREE-MED -500 dollars
Same as the above, everything you need for a basic life, but less so for strenuous situations. Requires no drugs, though, and has a few mods available. Those mods are mainly cigarette lighers in the fingers, or pockets and somesuch. Nothing special. Some companies have it as part of their medical.

Gen-3 MED-tec bionics - 600 dollars
Probably the most bang for your buck. Quite moddable, plenty of offensive things available, no need for rejection drugs. It has a bit less grip strength, though, and it only comes in tacky teal.

G-four Bionics, Twenty-K productions - 800 dollars
This is where you get to the heavy-duty stuff. This is meant for contruction jobs, also coming in sleeve form for the people that aren't missing an arm. Comes pre-built with a pheunatic fist, and has a grip strength high enough to crack bone. Sadly, almost no mods are available.

G-four Bionics, Twenty-K production "Big Frigger" power fist -1500 dollars
This is what that orc was using. Any questions?

MED-tec eye replacement gen 1 -100 dollars
It may say gen-1, but it doesn't require any drugs. The visuals are crap, but at least it's something. You hardly get colour.

MED-tec gen 3 -200 dollars
I didn't skip a generation, they just changed branding after the last one didn't sell with "gen-1" stamped on it. This one's a bit more proper. Vision's still a wee bit blurry, but it's good as long as you don't try to read things at a distance.

eje see yOu (sic) -200 dollars
Another present from the underground doctors, except this stuff is actually REALLY good. It can't be modded, and you've got some strange glitches, but vision is reportedly perfect other than that. It's a little clunky, though, requires a metal plate along the side of your head. If you're willing to deal with some glitches, it's good.

G-Four Bionic eye -600 dollars
Perfect vision, mods available. It's hard to find anything conclusive on this, but the mods look pretty fine. Infra-red, x-ray, Mana vision... Those mods are about 300 at least, though.

Guns

Flintlocks -20 dollars
These things are worth jack shit down here. Technically, only a gun licence is needed here, and people on the black market don't really care about your credentials. You've got muskets and pistols, both equally worthless. You can't even get the ammo for it! Also, they're heavy as all hell, and the pistols don't have that much punch.

Blunderbuss - 80 dollars
Bit of a collecter's item, bit of an improvisational gun. This thing's so simple you can fire anything you want out of it, and at massive power, too. Of course, maintaining it so it doest blow up in your face is hell, not to mention it's singleshot and extremely difficult to reload.

Single-shot rifle - 200 dollars
Bit of a price-jump here, but we've reached the bullet parts. These things come in all sorts of calibers, and they fire a single shot. They're break-action, and the latch deteriorates quickly. Still, if you pick the highest calibres, they pack a real punch. We start at .22 LR, and you can add 20 bucks per caliber upgrade. I'm going in order of size here: 9mm, 10mm(experimental, rare ammo).357 .223,  .308, .45, 50 CAL(watch out for this, the bullets themselves go for 3 bucks PER BULLET). You've also got shotgun variety, of which you have 20 gauge, 12 gauge and 6 gauge(this one's rare like the 50 CAL, pricey).

Revolver - 350 dollars
Your basic firearm. Light, multiple shots, and can still pack a punch in the right circumstances. They come in single-action and double-action. The double-actions add 100 dollars to the price, but it makes them a lot more effective. Calibres are limited (add 20 bucks per caliber size): 9mm, .38, .357 and .44.

Double-barrel shotgun -400 dollars
Simple and reliable. Same price regardless of the gauge you use, consisting of 20 and 12. You need to ask a gun guy if you wanna fire smaller gauges (which give bigger boom, if you didn't know). Also has a both barrels option, if you want to wreck a dude's face (and entire upper torso, and likely the wall behind him.)

Lever-action rifle -500 dollars
Good quality rifles. Same calibres as the single-shots, but you get around seven shots. Moddable, too. As always, 20 bucks per caliber jump.

Pump-action shotgun -500 dollars
Less reliable than the double-barrels, but six shots are six shots. Seven shots if you load the chamber properly. Good intimidation factor, too.

Sturmgewehr. - 1000 dollars
The dangers of getting the damned thing is most of the price, but it is a fully automatic, portable machine gun. Chews through ammo like a starved pig, sure, but it's common ammo and clearing out a room in seconds is worth it. This stuff isn't officially out, and you can only find it in one of the most xenophobic and odd dwarven cities on this level. More of a government lab than a real city, to be honest.

Mana-enhanced handcannon -3500 dollars
That weird cannon the orc was using was based off this. Where the fuck did he get this tech!? No wonder my rifle didn't get through the skull... Should have hit his eye.

You've got your choices out for you. Mind that while you have 1000 dollars right now, you probably want to keep a little spending money handy just in case. Also, for coolness' sake, you get three full clips (or magazine, in case of the sturmgewehr) of any rifle, and 20 bullets for anything single-shot.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

This was surprisingly tiring to make.
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 23, 2018, 07:15:55 pm »

Twenty-K! You know what's cooler than guns? Crushing bones with just our fingers!
Optionally buy also a cheapo eye.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 23, 2018, 07:31:44 pm »

No cyberlimbs, but get as big a revolver as we can reasonably handle, and three or four flintlock pistols as backup.  We can just strap them to our body somewhere.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 23, 2018, 09:05:33 pm »

Can we take any of this stuff out of the cities? And for that matter, can we get any ammo for the guns back in fantasyland? That kind of matters, especially if we're considering a big purchase.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:02 pm »

Can we take any of this stuff out of the cities? And for that matter, can we get any ammo for the guns back in fantasyland? That kind of matters, especially if we're considering a big purchase.

+1 It won't be worth if we are going to buy something expensive that won't regenerate when damaged or spend something and having to return every year to buy more bullets

what are these weird glitches from eje see you? we will be seeing weird stuff? I am pretty sure we will begin to "see voices" telling us about doomsday or shit, sounds very !!fun!!

For me we make them pay for the arm (or pay part of the costs with them) and buy an eye

If with the money they are willing to pay we can pay for the 1500 dollar super arm I think I might want it because it's too beautiful hehehe

our crossbow training was a nice touch to surviving down here
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 216