Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 216

Author Topic: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure (Ended)  (Read 185863 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Web of Life: A Drider's Adventure
« Reply #1605 on: February 27, 2018, 07:38:31 pm »

Well, I reached the end of it! I'm now caught up with the thread after a day or two of binge reading, and this is some pretty dang good stuff! (Though I miss angry shouting guard and the bog unicorn. That part was hella cute.)

Anyways. As for this whole thingimajigger, I think we ought to pay the old back alley doctor a visit for a nice, cheap eye. Maybe trade the rest of your arm for it. Market yourself a little!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: February 27, 2018, 08:12:33 pm »

Ehhh, our arm is probably worth more to us than anyone else, sentimental value and all that, along with the possibility that we may yet be able to reattach it and it would be more familiar.

Spoiler: too verbositudinous (click to show/hide)

Birdy51. Which cheap back-alley-doctor eye did you mean?
Also, to not waste time, the eye surgery to get your old eye functioning is 400 from a reputable doctor, and 200 from a black market doctor. [/b]

eje see yOu (sic) -200 dollars
Another present from the underground doctors, except this stuff is actually REALLY good. It can't be modded, and you've got some strange glitches, but vision is reportedly perfect other than that. It's a little clunky, though, requires a metal plate along the side of your head. If you're willing to deal with some glitches, it's good.
The glitches from the underground eye vary: sometimes you get a small blind spot for a second, sometimes you see things mortal eyes were not meant to see. Most of the time, however, it's nothing a small whack can't fix, and sometimes it's even beneficial by letting you see through walls or spot souls.

I still miss the unicorn-blessed shield, may a thousand poxes glare menacingly at those crusaders! If we can get Yunikki to the point of angry shouting it would probably be better than she is now. Well, angry shouting on her own account rather than ours... If this keeps up for too much longer I might just give up and let Alexia have a go at making Yunikki our high-priestess or something. I mean, fix her is my goal, but if the choice is between broken and broken with purpose and obsession... Ugh, we really need to fix Yunikki. Does anyone have any ideas better than trying to get her into some sort of martial sport?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: February 27, 2018, 08:20:02 pm »

I think I'll support cheap surgery.  If it's botched, it isn't going to make us worse.  And we already survived a bad drug trip, so what's the problem?  Plus we might get an arm as a package deal or something.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:52 pm »

Ah sorry. My vote is for biological. Might not be from the same species, but you just can't beat a bargain when you see one!
BIRDS.

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: February 28, 2018, 04:10:24 pm »

The doctor was very amicable, though he spoke with an odd accent to say the least. Of course, the oddest thing was that he's an orc with a blue skin ton, which is really new to you. You found it too awkward to ask why he's blue, but he did catch on that you're not too stoked about this operating room. No wonder, really. The roof is partially collapsed, and there is a distinct corpse smell in here. His tools also seem a little rusty, but he does have a tetanus shot at the ready. You're not sure how happy you are about Meandra explaining vaccines to you, on one hand you know you can get osme protection, but on the other hand, now you know a lot more diseases that can kill you.
Don't be worryin' about a ting, me spidery fren. Iz all gon' be fine.
How did you lose your medical licence?
I jus told you not to be worryin'! But if ya must know, I sold a patient's skeleton when 'e was distracted.
You just stare at him with mild concern, but decide against asking anything else. To your dismay, he keeps on talking.
Don' even know what 'e was so angry about! I gave 'im a replacement... Speakin' of, is you de reason that cuty came by to ask for a spare arm?
...Maybe? I was tripping balls just a little while ago. You mean Sucy?
Yah, das de one! Oh, was a joy to be talkin' to! But, ay. We be gettin' distracted. Take a deep breath o' dis, and if it don't work I can get my mallet.
He gives you a wet rag of sorts that you're expected to just huff deeply. Considering you don't want him to get out the mallet, you huff as deep as you can. You feel yourself getting dizzy at first, and the second huff leaves you blind. You're still not completely unconscious, though, so you use your final bit of strength to force your lungs to inhale some more as the doctor starts laughing.
Oh boy...

When you wake up, you feel... different. You reach up to touch your face, and find a thick adhesive bandage around your non-functional eye. Seems like you'll have to wait a bit before seeing if there are results. It certainly FEELS different. That is to say, you have feeling in that eyeball again. Not the most pleasant sensation. As you look around, you see a collection of less reputable folks sitting in beds similar to yours. Some are just staring ahead, clearly bored. They must be waiting for something. Some others are asleep, and two of them are groaning in pain from... something. The first one is unclear at least, the second one has an entire swordfish through his abdomen.
He seems more confused than in real pain, admittedly, though he nearly screams when the swordfish starts flopping around and clicking. You decide not to question it.
Almost as if on cue, the doctor walks in through some rusty metal doors. He has to push it with his shoulder, but he seems as chipper as always.
Ma dear lady! I got some visitors for you!
...Okay? I thought i'd be out of here pretty soon?
Under normal circumstances, yes. But, uh, this visitor kind of has me by the dingles. I'm sorry.
That's quite enough, Molog. a demanding female voice says from behind the doors. With a single push, the figure pushes open the rusted metal doors.
It's a drider. A damned big one at that! She looks like a black widow-type, like you, but she must be nearly two heads taller than you, not to mention her legspan is even larger. She is wearing hefty metal armor, and has a double-barrel shotgun attached to each of her two front legs and her pedipalps. In her hands, she's holding a rapier. Her face has deep scars, and she looks fairly aged. Not quite old, but not young anymore either.
Sydney Aestinus. The arch-queen has demanded your presence. Will you comply? Or will I have to force it?
What?
I represent a very powerful organisation. A very powerful organisation that does not like repeating itself. Now. Will you comply?
Your gear is right next to you, and you brought your gun, but she looks like she can take a bullet. Or thirty.

Fine, yes, whatever!
Come quietly. Show a little displeasure at it, though.

What is going on.
Demand a few answers.

Come loudly!
Grab your pistol and fire!

Can we move this to a more opportune time?
Politely but firmly ask if you could just, like, not do this right now.

Basic Stats
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Items and equipment

Skills and spells
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: February 28, 2018, 04:50:00 pm »

You know Driders. Saying no might not be wise. Go with her, but definitely try to get some answers for this.
BIRDS.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: February 28, 2018, 04:59:43 pm »

Ask her if we will be allowed to grab our things since we would rather they were not stolen by someone disreputable while we are away, then go with her regardless of the answer.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:43 pm »

It is sooooooo, tempting to just ask Alexia to handle drider politics. Actually literally figuratively handle it, rather than figuratively literally "handle" it. Yes it would be messy, but it might be the right sort of messy with lots of haughty bluster.

alalalalalalalalal
"You have caught me at a disadvantage, I will take a moment to refresh my dignity"
exexexexexexexexex
*recover gear and straighten garb while passing whatever handful of coinage we can muster, likely about 10 credits, to the doctor, and asking them to pass a message of our dealings to our friend.*
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
"I prefer to deal with those I respect and I've heard vanishing little of your society. This speaks well of your subtlety, but leaves me with little knowledge of whose home I might be intruding upon..."
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And the last to demand my presence died screaming in flames and pieces, torn apart by chains! I "comply" if the offer is worthy of me, so what have you to offer? I can't believe you so cheap as to bring nothing more than threats and bluster! I certainly hope so, else I'll have to resort to bad jokes about your "parlour" and taking your arm."

Or, y'know, words to that effect...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 01, 2018, 01:00:27 am »

They sort of caught us in the MIDDLE of something. We'll come along, but the least they can do is find us an arm as compensation.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 01, 2018, 06:42:39 am »

Ah right. They could at least ah, give us a hand with this.

* birdy51 gesticulates stump arm wildly.
BIRDS.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 01, 2018, 10:36:44 am »

got bit confused here with the suggestions (specially with RAM one, what is that IIIII AAAAA or else? is to separate options? If it is, you can use [*h*r*] without the "*")

can our cat/pigeon/kid write on our behalf? drop 10 dolars with them and make them write, "warn my friends"

I am okay to go (Her discription scared the hell of me) just say that is nice see any drider organization (holy fuck so much questions could be answered) but she don't need to be in such a hush, ask if the organization could help us to, give us a hand in our hand problem

all this while we grab our stuff because of curse she won't try to stop us

Here it is our job coming
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 01, 2018, 06:37:52 pm »

Oh, I was spelling out "Alexia" indicating that I REALLY want to bring Alexia into this even though it is probably a bad idea.

I see two ways this goes.
1: They are crazy dridery and look down on submissive driders as weak and pathetic. The worst thing we could do is just slink along submissively and insult all driders by doing so. We want to establish that we are independent and leaving soon, so if our paths don't cross then there will be no problems, and if they want anything that an outsider could provide, then we are willing to entertain their requests in exchange for proper respect and compensation.
2: They are vaguely sane and basically act as the local drider-police, in a vaguely criminal organisation sort of way. We go there, hear the rules, exchange helpful information, and go on our way.
3: Crazy murder people. Be it a secret society of driders enslaved by something mysterious, a fanatically territorial society of spiders, some sort of drider breeding program looking for new stock, a group compromised by Old Jesty's cult, or whatever, they don't plan for Sydney to be both free and alive. Going with is a bad thing.

This lad seems tougher than us, if we are going to snub her then we are going to have to pull off something impressive, and probably do significant property-damage... Really, bringing the roof down on her seems to be the start of most viable combat plans that don't involve kissing her with murder-breath and vampire-teeth...
Read the First Post!

Liquefied Spleens

• Bay Watcher
  • Flesh smoothies, fresh from the tap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 02, 2018, 05:20:20 pm »

I was kind of in the middle of something here?
Oh, no! Don't worry. De eye will need a day, but you kin go where ever you want.
I was kinda hoping to get an arm from here, too.
Dat Sucy girl got one, though. Fine arm, belonged to a strong woman. Ohhh, de bones she had...
Come along. NOW.
Let me pick up my stuff, at least.
She crawls closer to you in an instant, and takes the revolver out of your pack. She stashed it in a holster to the front, strangely empty considering the firepower she has on her.
Do you have that holster for this specific occasion?
Yes. Now get MOVING!

She guides you out of the hospital, her eight eyes on you like a hawk. You feel rather helpless, right now, though that's mostly because of your limb situation. That, and the fact that this drider carries enough ordinance to turn you into a fine mist at this range. FOUR double-barrels? She must see some hefty stuff. That armor looks well-used, too. She guides you through a collection of twisting alleyways and lonely streets, before you end up before a conspicuously coloured rock. You'd look over it if she didn't guide you to it, but it looks to be a vague shade of green instead of the nearly uniform black and grey. Under the dimmed sunstone, she presses different parts of the rock in an order you fail to keep track of. After a short rumbling noise, the rock splits in two. It was hollow all along, and an elevator has arrived. It's a massive, massive elevator, enough to fit a house on. You step on the platform, and your kidnapper (lets be honest here) is quick to go to work. At this same time, your pigeon and cat are writing the warning down using ink and some careful stepping of feet. Your friends will know you're gone again, and this drider will be none the wiser. You feel rather chuffed for thinking of it. Either way, though, you're descending into the ground right now. You should probably be worried, but if they meant to kill you they would have done so already.
After a short elevator ride, you arrive in...
Well, a palace. Beautiful tapestries, strong stone walls, columns made of marble (which do kind of clash badly with the grey stones). The most notable thing is the sheer amount of driders! You've never seen this amount of driders in one place, all shapes and sizes. Most of them seem to be dressed in formal clothing, and all of them look at you with surprise. Whispers among the ladies of the court, servants tittering among themselves. You feel considerably out of your depth, and you're not exactly happy to see more courtly shenanigans happening after the whole vampire debacle. At least everybody's got eight legs now, so you're equal on that front. But it also means your speed advantage is completely nullified.

After what feels like half an hour of walking, you finally arrive to the central room. Strangely, the palace grew more and more dilapidated as you went along. People seemed fearful as they went around, making sure to stay out of sight. Their clothing is less fancy, with muted colours. The central room has massive doors, and before entering your kidnapper uses one of the massive knockers at the front. After a short moment, a goblin servant pushes open the door.
Miro? What are you doing here so early?
She was easier to find and capture than expected. No fight.
Ah, excellent... The queen is lucid, at the moment, so she can come in. Watch yourself, would you?
The door is opened to allow the both of you through. Everything looks ancient and covered in webbing. The palace was already fairly webbing-covered, but this takes it to a new level. You can't even see corners in this room anymore! There is a collection of goblins running about, cleaning away the dust from the... webbing?
The source of the webbing is blatantly obvious. A massive drider stands in the middle of the room, nearly seven meters high. Her clothing suggests royalty, and her appearance suggest her to be more than a thousand years old.
Her eyes pierce your very soul, and she leans on a walking stick you'd call a tree in any other circumstance.

Her voice reverbs through the halls. It wavers, but it carries a strength you could not even imagine until now.
Miro? Dearest granddaughter... I had not expected your return so quickly. I see you have brought the newcomer.
Yes, Arch-queen. I have. Miro looks to you and gestures for you to step forward. Considering the situation, you do so.
...You have the smell of a nightstalker upon you. And the gestating one has left its mark on you as well. Yet, I feel no true corruption. Hints and traces, but you have fought... Tell me, what is your name?

Co-operate to the letter.
Yeah, they win. This is above you. You'll just tell them everything they want to hear.

Co-operate haughtily.
You're not afraid. You're just aware you might just get deleted if you do something wrong.

Run.
Yeah, no, you'll take your chances. This is too much.

Other.

Basic Stats

Items and equipment

Skills and spells

The image belongs to Mike McCarthy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 07:01:52 pm by Liquefied Spleens »
Neat stuff I do:
A suggestion game about a drider that does a lot of stuff. I think it's kinda neat.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 02, 2018, 06:12:35 pm »

I still want Alexia to come out and d othe haughty thing for some reason, but no, fresh out of surgery, missing a limb that we only have two of, no weapons or minions, someone who looks like an extremely competent fighter in service to someone with clearly overwhelming physical might that seems as though that wasn't even what they were going for... We could certainly try to charm out some concessions and worm into some intrigues, but Imma feel like just relaxing into the futility of effort and letting the situation carry us until we know what is going on.
Read the First Post!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 02, 2018, 06:38:37 pm »

*sees probably fantasy politics*
*yawns*

Whatever, just go along with it. Not like we care about whatever bullshit these dorks are worried about, anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 216