Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11419 times)

Blaidd_Drwg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by intently:
<STRONG>The trees change color in the fall.</STRONG>

Eh, they did that in the previous version.

kitsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

There seem to be some new season messages - no more "winter is upon you" (can't remember what I got instead though)

Also what is this whip vine my dwarves hauled to camp?

Coolest thing is being able to use the manager screen from the beginning though   :D

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Blaidd_Drwg:
<STRONG>

Eh, they did that in the previous version.</STRONG>

Then I never noticed!

Plasma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

One less-than-cool discovery I made was that wooden walls, wooden floors, and wooden 20-storey oddly-shaped towers are unburnable. Aw.

Also, where do you find Adamantite and demon-pits?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2007, 07:43:00 pm »

quote:
You also can't offer goods you didn't produce on-site.

Dammit, now what to do with all th eleftover crap from sieges?

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

Sell to the traders or melt it. He was only referring to the "give as gift" part of the tradeinterface. I believe that was part of the previous version as well though.

Escobar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

I found saltpeter... does this mean explosives?

Squonk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

Anyone noticed that lots of walking on a grass-covered area leaves a trail?  My woodcutters made one leading to a nearby forest. Just one of those nice little details that make you believe in the game world.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2007, 12:04:00 am »

Funny, I just noticed that. The area around my entrance is completely trampled down to the dirt.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2007, 12:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Escobar:
<STRONG>I found saltpeter... does this mean explosives?</STRONG>

Nice thought, but it was used as fertilizer first.  :)

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

Caveins chain together:

code:

XXXXXXX
X     X
Xxxxx X
X     X
XxxxxxX
X     X
XXXXXXX

Disconnecting the ground of the upper level will cause it to fall on the lower, which will result in another cavein. A ceiling is no protection!

I imagine that due to this it'd be possible for a dwarf (or enemy!) to fall through several stories, hitting floors the whole way... Quite painful I'll bet.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2007, 02:25:00 am »

quote:
It looks like wandering into one of the Hell levels in DOOM. Where did all those corpses come from? Why is this place crawling with demons? Why is there fire and pain and death, where there once was a happy world?  

I just found this thing too... creeped me out.  There were living elves and humans in mine, caged and chained and either melancholy or babbling.  This is the first time I've ever played DF, so I just walled it off in the hopes that whatever scary things might come out don't have picks, since I don't think my 5 dwarf army would do much.  Since I breached it at a corner of the magma pool (why does magma flow diagnolly but not warm rock that way?) I'm not sure if there's any way for me to use it now that it has drained to 1/7 all over my platinum-searching honeycomb on the third lowest level, so all that adamantite is useless to me anyway.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2007, 05:09:00 am »

Anthills!  That's just cool.
Not sure what I can do with them, tho.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Ink Asylum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

Since I'm still a DF amateur and there are a number of new features (like the Z-axis) that I want to safely play with, I looked for some mountains and scouted their foothills for a calm area with a river.

Since I had tried my best to pick out a region that looked like the old starting area, imagine my surprise when I enter the game to find my dwarves come to rest halfway down a river valley cut out of the mountain itself! A thin strip of woodland surrounded on both sides by high cliffs that grow increasingly narrow to the north. My first impulse was to reroll and find a spot with more room, but after a brief survey I start to grow fond of my little nook. There are plenty of available trees, particularly to the south around the mouth of the valley. The remote location might also reduce the odds of invasion.

After scanning four or five levels above ground I pop out of the mountain above my settlement to find a plateau rich in greenery! Awesome! The plateau slopes steadily to the south until it reaches the starting level at the edge of the map. I instantly revise my original plans and decide to build all non-storage/workshop rooms inside the mountain but on higher levels, tunneling up through the mountain until I breach the surface, creating a secondary roof entrance. I need to look into making windows. If all goes well I plan to have a dining hall on upper level 3 or 4 meeting the cliff face with windows overlooking the beautiful valley below.

I anticipate similar surprises with future forts. The sheer unlimited potential of startling locales is mind-boggling. I really like the layout of my dwarves new home. Each landscape presents a unique challenge and allow for so many different fortress styles.

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Justice:
<STRONG>

I just found this thing too... creeped me out.  There were living elves and humans in mine, caged and chained and either melancholy or babbling.  This is the first time I've ever played DF, so I just walled it off in the hopes that whatever scary things might come out don't have picks, since I don't think my 5 dwarf army would do much.</STRONG>

Man, that's really freaky. I wonder how deep down these things are, I haven't found one yet.

Maybe the demons are doing something similar to Tolkein's bad guys - trying to breed them in captivity and turn them into monsters.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12