Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11421 times)

Shagie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

While I might be confused, I thought I saw the salmon swimming downstream in spring or summer... and upstream in fall.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Name Lips:
<STRONG>
It looks like wandering into one of the Hell levels in DOOM. Where did all those corpses come from? Why is this place crawling with demons? Why is there fire and pain and death, where there once was a happy world?</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure that this is what Toady calls "HIDDEN FUN STUFF"!

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

The last page on the skill selection list for dwarves in Fortress Mode (contains liar, persuader, negotiatior, conversationalist, consoler, pacifier, and more...).

Finding a nice-size vein of gold on my first day at the site!

Unfortunately my play seems to be hampered slightly by a bug...

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

I just found it neat that water hitting magma = obsidian walls. It actually blocks the two off, rather than make infinite steam like it did in the previous version.

So:

Dig two tunnels, one connected to a river, the other to a caldera. Dig out a nice wide room between them. Connect some floodgates, switches, and start mining obsidian!   :D

Edit: notice this has already been posted. Bah!

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Teldin ]

Warhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2007, 08:32:00 pm »

The coolest discovery for me so far, I just recently found. Im on a map where a river is going north south and coming from the west is a river that goes to a waterfall that is 3 levels high.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

We all know about volcanic islands- cool in theory, but in fact, no trade, and thus not so cool.

What you can do to rectify this situation is to find an island one or two world map tiles off the coast and make a bridge- or to be more dwarvenly, a tunnel under the ocean. Then abandon your bridge-fort(s).

You can then build a fort on any corner of the island and it will have trade with the rest of the world.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>We all know about volcanic islands- cool in theory, but in fact, no trade, and thus not so cool.

What you can do to rectify this situation is to find an island one or two world map tiles off the coast and make a bridge- or to be more dwarvenly, a tunnel under the ocean. Then abandon your bridge-fort(s).

You can then build a fort on any corner of the island and it will have trade with the rest of the world.</STRONG>

Are you sure you could not trade before?

I started on a volcanic island and could trade with the dwarves no problem, without worrying about building bridges or anything.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

I just had my first angry dwarf yell at my expedition leader, which is nice because I really don't want to see what a tantruming dwarf would be capable of with all sorts of half-finished buildings aboveground for them to smash up. (He was miserable due to being trapped in a watery hole for several months. Apparently dwarves don't appreciate swimming lessons.)

FlamingKittenMittin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

A giant cave spider had killed my grower and I wanted revenge..so I sent my miner and my wrestler equiped with a cross bow at it. Both of them got coverd with web and killed before they had a chance to attack. This made my thirst for revenge greater so I drafted all my dwarves and sent them at it(4 war dogs taged along). The spider killed two of my dwarves as the others jumped on it. My wood cuter managed to lop off a leg or two as my mason was strangling it. I lost two dogs in the end, one more has alot of mangled body parts and another is missing two legs oh and one of my remaining two dwarves might be poisoned. Every dwarf that died had atleast two limbs riped off while fighting it. I think that was one of my funnest doomed forts ever.

[ November 01, 2007: Message edited by: FlamingKittenMittin ]

00% synthetic kitten leather
Mark Twain-

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>

Are you sure you could not trade before?

I started on a volcanic island and could trade with the dwarves no problem, without worrying about building bridges or anything.</STRONG>

Oh yes, you can trade with dwarves... magically, somehow, but you need a bridge to trade with the humans and elves... and get goblin sieges...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eiba:
<STRONG>
Oh yes, you can trade with dwarves... magically, somehow, but you need a bridge to trade with the humans and elves... and get goblin sieges...</STRONG>

Ah, sorry

That's a cool feature then!

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2007, 03:48:00 am »

Just discovered that you can't trade away seized goods. Found that pretty cool as a sign of diplomacy to come.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2007, 04:27:00 am »

You also can't offer goods you didn't produce on-site.

intently

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

The trees change color in the fall.

uuuluuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by intently:
<STRONG>The trees change color in the fall.</STRONG>

And on tropical maps the grass dies off and swamps/ponds dry up during the autumn and winter (dry season?).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12