Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11412 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Coolest discoveries yet!
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

OK, so I've actually played for all of five minutes so far (not counting worldgen/start screens), so here goes.

My first coolest discovery was when I figured out what the symbol for volcanoes was.

This was quickly topped when I realization that my volcano starting site had abundant hematite right out in the opening.

This, in turn, was displaced from its status as coolest discovery when I realized I could look inside the caldera and say hi to all the imps living inside the volcano.

Finally, the most truly ultimate discovery in my first five minutes occured when I popped the units menu open to look at the population of fire imps and such, and discovered that my fortress site has a wandering population of snailmen on the plains below. Snail. Men.

This is totally awesome, even though I'm not entirely sure why.

So what cool stuff have y'all found so far?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

Masterwork items at my starting location.
Took em right out of the human shops.

Also just found out that I own everything at the site, buildings and all.

[ October 29, 2007: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

My start location had the wagon in a 3-wide brook.

Also, it's in a valley.

I'm.. not really sure how they -got- there. And I'm really curious as to whether or not traders can even show up.

I'm a little iffy on the new placement system, but it certainly leads to some more interesting starts..

boticider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

#1:  volcano
#2:  cave swallowmen
#3:  the ability to keep playing dwarf fortress after swallowing my tongue.
#4:  cool.  A large rat has apparently torn a swallowman or two to pieces inside the volcano.  Awesome.

[ October 29, 2007: Message edited by: boticider ]

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:48:00 pm »

I recall in an early version at least a couple people were complaining about the generic "animalmen" and saying Toady was kind of lazy for not making up names other than antmen, batmen, frogmen, etc. I wonder if all the new -men are meant as some form of belated revenge.  :D

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:00 pm »

Dwarves mining out a channel/pond designation.  They undermine other dwarves, who fall suddenly and are stunned for a few rounds ;p

Farming under clay hills

Sheez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

I started near a mountain called something appropriate..like..the Hollow-Silver Mountain of Prophecy. I don't know. As soon as I started up, I get a message that my dwarves have discovered the ruins of Kelaskadaranvadak or some such. It's a tower. Two of them actually. And they are taller than my -mountain-! I was so stunned that I didn't notice the fifteen human skeletons bearing down on my poor seven dwarves. I can't wait to see if adjuststart works on this version. Then the towers will be mine!
How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sheez:
<STRONG>I started near a mountain called something appropriate..like..the Hollow-Silver Mountain of Prophecy. I don't know. As soon as I started up, I get a message that my dwarves have discovered the ruins of Kelaskadaranvadak or some such. It's a tower. Two of them actually. And they are taller than my -mountain-! I was so stunned that I didn't notice the fifteen human skeletons bearing down on my poor seven dwarves. I can't wait to see if adjuststart works on this version. Then the towers will be mine!</STRONG>

You don't even need to worry about adjuststart, just don't take an anvil... 1.2k right off the snailman!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »

When my miners detect wet stone where I don't already suspect there to be water... they STOP DIGGING. They automatically deselect that square saying, "you know, Chief, I think there just might be a lake on the other side of that wall. And I don't feel like drowning today, you know?"

Sheez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 12:23:00 am »

Yes, but does another anvil ever show up?
How much war could a warforged forge if a warforged could forge war?

Kagira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 12:29:00 am »

A lungfish was following around my mason earlier before slipping back upstairs and into a pond.

Also, carps.   :eek: they're worse than freaking piranhas.

obles make fine firewood.

pasiniem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 12:32:00 am »

At first, I had some trouble trying to realize how to dig downwards. I tried using the up/down stairs. After some problems, I figured out it: Gotta use down stairs to the square above and up stairs to the square below.
I started my fortress at ice glacier and dug all the way down to 8th floor below. It took some time to get through that thick layer of ice to find some rock.
Now I'm trying to make a cave in by digging a big empty area and see what happens. I'm just testing stuff before trying a real fortress. And I found Microcline, wtf is that? Some type of ore  :D
Oooh, I feel like a kid playing with a new toy  :D

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

lung fish, how funny to have them trampling around my fortress.

Draining a pond into my fortress (both to made mud and to test if ponds ever refill) and having a turtle come with it - maybe shaft fishing will work after all!

volcanic islands on the world map! I was soooo tempted to start on one, but I wanted to have trade for my first fort to see how that all works.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 02:22:00 am »

There's a weapon trap component you can make out of wood.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 02:52:00 am »

This isn't really a "cool" discovery, but if you create an Upward ramp by carving it out of a standing wall, and then mine out all the tiles surrounding it, the ramp collapses and becomes an open space.
IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12