Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Coolest discoveries yet!  (Read 11418 times)

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
Re: Coolest discoveries yet!
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2007, 10:28:00 pm »

aha.  Thanks.  I have to say I was hoping there was some hidden in-game mini-map.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »

Weeell, the old one is still there. But if you know for sure you're at an area with a magma vent, goto the unit list and look for magma dwellers (Fire men, fire imps and the like) they're listed as 'Wild Animals'.. strange that.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 06:32:00 am »

The red tint on the mini map indicates magma below. The one on the left is an open vent while the one on the right is an undiscovered vent. This will make everyone happy as they can now find magma easily. The blue areas are places that you have built.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 07:27:00 am »

I think red tint indicates hostile monsters. But since magma often contains those, it could be useful for finding magma too.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2007, 07:35:00 am »

Red is where units you don't control are. Blue are units which you control are (generally dwarves).

The neatest discovery I made was when a cat canceled what it was doing because it got "stuck in hidden web". When I moved over to where it was, there was a huge, screen-wide spiderweb composed of smaller webs in a * shape. It was freakin' awesome.

takaratiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

The fact that dwarves apparently do not have the equivalent of OSHA. Ripping down an improperly constructed second story, I was delighted to watch worker dwarves knocking out the floors beneath their feet ala Wile E Coyote and plummeting down with the newly reclaimed stone. Slapstick comedy is still the best...
Sharpen your boots, and bludgeon your eye.

TheOtherHorseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2007, 11:58:00 am »

Availability of rare things was pretty cool. On my first functional fortress, I have struck Adamantine 7 levels down four times, and once on the level above that. I am rich in Adamantine ore, but I don't think I have lava anywhere. I only hope that if I dig deeply enough...

I'll find it and won't be killed by terrible hellspawn.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

Just noticed a natural cave on my map with a perfectly circular HUGE lake in it. The cave is stuffed with cave spider silk and (I assume) lots of cave spiders. The lake is inhabited by a tribe of frogmen and a solitary giant toad.

The nearby mountains are roamed by packs of skeletal goats, who occasionally hop down to harass my dwarves (but thankfully not very often).

Entity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2007, 01:02:00 pm »

"Stray dog (tame) has been encased in ice."

Unfortunately, now it's deceased, I can't find the dog, and have no clue how it managed this.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2007, 03:40:00 pm »

After downloading and trying out a save game with adamantine, i found this.

Seems to be a cave with stairs and multiple levels, but on the bottom level...

tons of dead elves and humans and all sorts of nastiness.  Shortly after this discovery demons came.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

It takes a blacksmith to produce aluminum bars from ore, but anyone can produce them from stairs.

Also aluminum is VALUABLE. A single normal aluminum goblet is worth 400 monies! I had an artifact aluminum crown worth around 92000 or so.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2007, 04:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Talith:
<STRONG>After downloading and trying out a save game with adamantine, i found this.

Seems to be a cave with stairs and multiple levels, but on the bottom level...

tons of dead elves and humans and all sorts of nastiness.  Shortly after this discovery demons came.</STRONG>

It looks like wandering into one of the Hell levels in DOOM. Where did all those corpses come from? Why is this place crawling with demons? Why is there fire and pain and death, where there once was a happy world?

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2007, 05:39:00 pm »

no idea, but it certainly is the coolest thing that has happened to me thus far.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

I just got the Dungeon Master. Now I have a Mayor, a Captain of the Guard, and a Dungeon Master. I didn't do anything special at all!

Now what do I do with him? I never actually got one in the old version.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

Time to explain.

After loading that adamantine file in the endgame thread, I told the dwarves to dig. They found this cavern with insane humans, elves, and dwarves that contained tons of charcoal, weapons, bones, a small amount of magma (yay!), and the demon pits.

Yes, the adamantine guards the demon pits this time around, not the uber demon.

The adamantine and even magma is not worth the demon slaughtering. I told the dwarves to lock the thing up.

I'll just dig all the adamantine around the cavern. I might go for the magma, although it's risky.

EDIT: I also found a second type of chamber, where the only things are the pits, the magma, and some masterwork engravement of humans, dwarves, and elves all dead, weeping, or other bad things.

[ October 31, 2007: Message edited by: Bingbing ]

Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12