Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Federation of Malaysia Design Bureau Thread (5 Engineers)  (Read 13197 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Federation of Malaysia Design Bureau Thread (4 Engineers)
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2016, 08:55:37 am »

Deployment isn't an issue at the moment, since we do have the option of paratroopers at least.
Yeah. Paras would be great for landing on uncontested islands that don't have AA defenses set up. They can get there ahead of naval landing forces to harass enemies trying to land on a beach and prevent them from getting established. Naval AA threats are easy enough for aircraft to avoid (unless they're specifically patrolling around that island), at least until the guided missiles come out.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:57:09 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2016, 08:59:35 am »

And the fact we have a jet aircraft somewhat renders the effectiveness of ballistic AA ineffective.

Anyway UR, any thoughts on a .260 round for the AR?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2016, 09:05:21 am »

And the fact we have a jet aircraft somewhat renders the effectiveness of ballistic AA ineffective.
The UF-1939 doesn't have jet engines. If it did it would probably still be slow enough to be threatened by AAA. But yeah they can't touch our new bomber.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2016, 09:06:53 am »

Yeah, though I rather doubt we'd be doing a paradrop over an AA guarded area. I mean if our plane might not survive think of the paratroopers who get hit by a stray blast :P

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2016, 09:08:59 am »

Yeah, though I rather doubt we'd be doing a paradrop over an AA guarded area. I mean if our plane might not survive think of the paratroopers who get hit by a stray blast :P
Paras would be great for landing on uncontested islands that don't have AA defenses set up.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 09:38:43 am »

Deployment isn't an issue at the moment, since we do have the option of paratroopers atleast.

Our boss got different opinion :)
Quote from: Zanzetkuken The Great
To: The Board of Weapons Design
Attached are all details of the weapons we have and their distribution amongst our military
forces.  As can be seen, we have limited variety for deployment, and many vastly outstrip
our current ability of production.  The Republic trusts that you will be able to solve these
issues rapidly.  If you do not, then there will be consequences.
I would really prefer to revise one of our transports but people want a better rifle :)

Anyway UR, any thoughts on a .260 round for the AR?
I already voted and I doubt that difference is important for game mechanics to argue about it
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 09:41:18 am »

I'd say it would given the difference in stopping power. If we need more hits to take out their infantry compared to how many they need, we're at a disadvantage.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »

Here's the result of your revisions (There seemed to be a general agreement to use these.  Hopefully I didn't jump the gun).

Revision #1
MAR-51
A scaled down version of MK-47 chambered for a new .225 caliber  round that is also 25% shorter than original MK-47 bullets. Much of the furniture has been replaced with wood, reducing weight from the MK-47, and the magazine is upon bottom of the rifle to reduce the weapon's profile. A cam mechanism has been installed to limit the weapon to one or three rounds per trigger pull, but can be disengaged to allow for fully automatic fire.

(Personal, Medium, General, 1 Ore.)

Revision #2
Yellowjacket II
Yellowjacket II is built with an engine fuel-efficient for its power that increases its range and lifting weight to 150% that of the AS-HF-32 and the original Yellowjacket.  It is armed with four 0.50 machine guns that were purpose designed for aircraft use, that jam with long bursts of continuous fire.  Its main intended role is long range patrolling and attacking enemy ships or transports planes.
[Medium Specialized Vehicle, cost 4 Ore, 3 Oil]

I propose to send such message to Prime minister

"While we agree that our army would benefit from better means of deployment, the nearest island is very close and we must conquer it with minimal causalities. This is why our goal is to provide them some close air support by developing a revolutionary aircraft and improving our fighters to provide even more fire support for ground troops and protect out transport aircrafts against enemy airforce. As you said our ability to produce those is limited and we must ensure they will survive for later use.
Finally we developed a lighter and smaller assault rifle necessary to fit more paratroopers in UF-1939 and make them more suited for urban and jungle warfare.

We urge you to focus our production on airforce because WW2 demonstrated that air superiority is very important in modern war

I'll put up his response after the turn goes through, if this is the message you wish to send.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:51:51 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »

Those .225 rounds will be the death of us. That being said, the 1 ore cost should mean the rifle is a lot easier to produce. The yellowjacket II is just about perfect though, just have to solve the jamming issue. Mind you, it'll be pretty good as a base for a CAS craft.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2016, 03:08:16 pm »

MAR-51 looks perfect for our paratroopers, later we may design a better rifle for our line infantry. Good revision

Yellowjacket got an average roll but unless they spent revision to improve their fighter\designed new one we should get some serious airforce advantage in first few turns. One more revision can give us a more specialized aircraft

As for message, I think we can omit it for the first turn and start defending ourselves later :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 03:15:06 pm »

Yeah, looks like we can start on the offensive. Wouldn't mind getting some guided missiles next turn. It'd be hilarious to slap a few onto our bolts and let them run amok the enemy air force.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2016, 03:31:45 pm »

I am not a huge fan of going for infrared guided missiles when we have no dumb-fire rockets. Radar homing is even larger problem because we don't have radar tech

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2016, 03:38:45 pm »

Well, I think we may want to invest in radar tech soon then. If we get radar guided missiles when they don't have any radar system, they aren't going to have much of a navy left :P

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2016, 05:53:35 pm »

Those .225 rounds will be the death of us.
Yeah. Those are very tiny bullets.

I'm all for radar-guided missiles. They're much more difficult to spoof compared to IR, plus that basic tech can applied in many other areas such as in land and sea-based early warning systems.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2016, 07:05:59 pm »

Those .225 rounds will be the death of us.
Yeah. Those are very tiny bullets.

Not really. They're larger (though only very slightly) than 5.56x45 NATO, and with a greater muzzle velocity (going off the real-life .225 Winchester.) This shouldn't have any problems with stopping power, especially in the close-range engagements typical of the jungles and urban areas where the majority of fighting will take place.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15