Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 51

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron IV  (Read 103575 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Hearts of Iron IV
« Reply #300 on: June 14, 2016, 01:25:11 am »

Spoiler: The Reich has fallen! (click to show/hide)
That was very satisfying.

I'm finally getting the hang of this war thing
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2016, 02:44:15 am »

I tried loading a new map into this game because I try that in every Paradox game and I consistently fail.  Got it so that there were 0 errors in the errorlog but it just kept crashing at "loading databases", the same place it had crashed before when there were errors.  Switch back to the main game.  Am greeted by this monstrosity:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Delete local content and reinstall, its still doing this.  I have some other things I want to try before I say my game is busted, but, ah.  There's nothing I did that should have resulted in that.

Its kinda beautiful tho.  Its strange how well all the glitchy provinces fit together.  Sadly, as much as I would love to play in topsy turvy land, it crashes on game start.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2016, 03:23:08 am »

%appdata% ?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2016, 03:47:55 am »

As far as begginer nations go, I'd say some of the non-majors like Turkey or Romania are pretty decent. They give you a number of things to play with, are mostly safe at the start of the game and you have the option to play with navies if you so desire, but aren't required to at first.
Plus they start with the generic focus tree which means you don't have to deal with any special bonuses or penalties from the start.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:08 am »

Spoiler: The Reich has fallen! (click to show/hide)
That was very satisfying.

I'm finally getting the hang of this war thing

Woot woot for Dutch victory!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2016, 04:41:02 pm »

How do you take advantage of the Grand Battleplan Doctrine? I see it adds a lot of planning and organization, but that doesn't sound as cool as tank bonuses. Switching to to Mobile Warfare on the other hand would waste a year of research...

I'm playing as UK, so I'm probably not going to have a decent land army anyway. Most of my research and production is currently going into air and navy.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2016, 04:54:06 pm »

Basically just make sure you get the full planning bonus before launching a ground offensive.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2016, 05:22:57 pm »

Read +30% Planning Bonus as: +30% Attack if you wait long enough.

At declaration of war a well made "battle plan" that you don't have to change makes Grand Battle Plan extremely powerful. If you do have to change it mid way then you get significant defensive/entrenchment bonuses to give you time to plan out the next attack.

As Britain I'd honestly try to research Air Doctrines before land. Sure, you should still pick up some land doctrines, but I don't think you have to rush down the tree like usual.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #308 on: June 14, 2016, 06:00:22 pm »

Planning bonuses are godlike if you're behind on tech. Or if you're ahead. They're just amazing.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 14, 2016, 07:52:12 pm »

So far it seems like Grand Battleplan is amazing for wars you can win in one big push or when you just need to make a really good defensive (imagine holding out as czechoslovakia or somesuch and then making a huge push into berlin), while the best general use doctrine seems to be Superior Firepower? I don't play nations with infinite manpower and hundreds of divisions, but playing as many of the minor states it seems very strong. Lots of infantry, infantry support, and arty bonuses that are all very easy to take advantage of as a low-industry nation.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:49 pm »

Superior Firepower should be the high-industry doctrine, focused on putting lots of equipment into your infantry divisions.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2016, 08:13:43 pm »

Is the trench warfare doctrine as much of a trap in the game as it was in real life?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 14, 2016, 08:32:32 pm »

Is the trench warfare doctrine as much of a trap in the game as it was in real life?

It wasn't?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 14, 2016, 09:25:32 pm »

No. It's great if you're planning to be on the defensive.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 14, 2016, 11:51:35 pm »

Read +30% Planning Bonus as: +30% Attack if you wait long enough.

At declaration of war a well made "battle plan" that you don't have to change makes Grand Battle Plan extremely powerful. If you do have to change it mid way then you get significant defensive/entrenchment bonuses to give you time to plan out the next attack.

As Britain I'd honestly try to research Air Doctrines before land. Sure, you should still pick up some land doctrines, but I don't think you have to rush down the tree like usual.
If you want to prevent the fall of Paris, grand battleplan is crucial for helping the Netherlands out. If you can prevent the fall of Amsterdam and Brussels, Paris will be safe.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 51