Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 38300 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2015, 04:53:04 am »

"Hmmph," Dio smirks.
"Not bad flying... if you want to be safe, that is. If you had put the engines at max thrust and then rotated the ship, I believe it would have shortened the trip by, hmm, two to three hours." he remarked, more-or-less incognizant of interplanetary speed limits, fuel economics, and the would-be disastrous effect of his plan on engine maintenance.

He glances at the viewscreen for a few moments to take the information in. He notes that the vessel is missing most of its weapons: a clear sign of protracted combat. Its attackers must have targeted the gun emplacements for fear of taking damage themselves.
"War is hell."

Dio went to check the armaments and make sure they are ready to fire, just in case. He also checks the temperature of the Customs ship if possible, to see if its reactor is still generating any heat.

If he still has time, he then looks for a drone to use for scouting purposes. Pair the drone to a terminal so Dio can remote-control it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:38:53 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2015, 07:48:25 am »

"I'll volunteer to look aboard if we're sending a team," TK remarked from his place, standing behind and slightly to the left of Amelia's seat.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2015, 12:53:16 pm »

"I'd say we should go onboard. I doubt the salvaging array will keep any delicate electronics or the like intact. I'll go, er, I'll board the ship with you. Not expecting any trouble."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

What sort of munitions are used in ship-to-ship combat? Anything that explodes (and thus runs the risk of remaining unexploded)? Or only, say, lasers and mass drivers and what have you?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »

What sort of munitions are used in ship-to-ship combat? Anything that explodes (and thus runs the risk of remaining unexploded)? Or only, say, lasers and mass drivers and what have you?

Well, our ship-to-ship weapons are both projectile, so I would imagine that exploded munitions are possible.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2015, 08:53:12 am »

Amelia relaxed in the comfy pilot's seat, taking in Dio's commentary with joy--it was good to feel like an acknowledged pilot, and she could relate with his ideas: That's how she thought when she was yet an unlicensed novice of stellar maneuvering and flight, and physics and momentum.

"Figuring the size of the hole and the lack of adequate sensory equipment on this ship, I believe I can maneuver us in stable and static position to get a better visual there."

If the ship possesses adequate scanning equipment, lay back and initate some safety checks.
If not, get to maneuvering this scrapper into a good position!

"That said, I'll move us into position where we can watch over you and any debris that might get intrusive. We'll be moving kilometers here, in the least, so this may just be a tiny bit delicate."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:47 am »

TK goes to suit up and prepare to board the derelict vessel.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »

Can we run any scans on the target ship and the immediate surrounding area? Signs of life, power, or danger? If it looks safe I guess 3-4 of us should board and get to work, leaving Amelia and Dio to man the ship and guns?
You check to see what scans the ship is capable of, and a rudimentary search reveals that the most you can do without upgrading the ship's sensor suite is a basic scan to see if any of the ship has power to it. Of course, the scan has one down side in that you won't able to tell where the power is coming from. You quickly decide to run the scan which reveals that the entire ship is dead, not even a faint spark of power is appearing on the scan results.

Dio went to check the armaments and make sure they are ready to fire, just in case. He also checks the temperature of the Customs ship if possible, to see if its reactor is still generating any heat.

If he still has time, he then looks for a drone to use for scouting purposes. Pair the drone to a terminal so Dio can remote-control it.

You triple check the system's weapon diagnostics, and quickly bring the weapons fully online preparing the ship as best you can for any possible combat that is to come. After you finish the weapon preparations you wander off to see if the ship has any drones installed that you could use to scout the wreckage, and unsurprisingly enough the answer turns out to be a resounding no. The Macnameer Corporation has seemed to put the bare minimum amount of funding into this ship, from the looks of it they're expecting you to handle the problems that will cause ...

If the ship possesses adequate scanning equipment, lay back and initate some safety checks.
If not, get to maneuvering this scrapper into a good position!

After informing everyone of what you're about to do you start to quickly manipulate the ship's thrusters[/abbr], and a few short bursts from the main engines to bring you in near the wrecked ship with nimbleness that such a vessel is only capable of displaying under skilled hands. By the time you're done with the maneuver your ship is floating almost right next to the Customs ship wreck with one of the airlocks aimed directly at one the holes into the ship, an easy way into and out of the ship for the boarding crew.

TK goes to suit up and prepare to board the derelict vessel.
"I'd say we should go onboard. I doubt the salvaging array will keep any delicate electronics or the like intact. I'll go, er, I'll board the ship with you. Not expecting any trouble."
"Well, shall we take the target compartment and get out of here, or shall we have a look round to see what else there is worthwhile? Any preferences? I'd suggest we get the compartment on board first and if the ship looks stable enough we should see what else there is... Maybe see what type of armament that is left on there."

Can we run any scans on the target ship and the immediate surrounding area? Signs of life, power, or danger? If it looks safe I guess 3-4 of us should board and get to work, leaving Amelia and Dio to man the ship and guns?
Neil, Tobias, and Tobias head to Storage Bay 2 and quickly don three of the ship's space suits as they begin to prepare for an away mission.

Depends on the weapons really, but your current weapons all use solid projectiles. No fancy explosions just blunt impact force to tear whatever it hits apart. Lasers and mass drivers are very rare.

Spoiler: Dio Costanza (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 08:05:25 pm by adwarf »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2015, 08:21:59 pm »

TK quickly checks to see what other weapons are available, just in case - using a knife in a space suit doesn't seem the greatest idea.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2015, 08:44:46 pm »

Trent clicked on his radio, his stilted, hesitant tones coming over the systems of the suits and the ship.
"Testing, testing... ah, seems to be all in order.

I doubt we'll find any thing live - circuity, or, well, humans. But remember capicitors can keep a charge, keep a jolt, long after their system has lost power, so be caareful... don't touch anything that looks dangerous.

We should probably recover the compartment first, as Neal said, but, er, feel free to pocket anything free floating that looks valuable. If it's not distasteful, if you're not squeemish, anything on corpses like armour and weapons would be good. Can build up a little ship armoury, a little weapons stockpile. Could be useful. Always trouble to be found."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:33 am »

Dio cracks his knuckles.
"And be sure to check for any survivors. I want to use some of the hull to increase our own ship's capabilities."
Apparently just buying some hull plates didn't come to mind.

EDIT:
Check to see if we have welding equipment. If not, how much cargo space do we have? Evaluate the practicality of bringing back some pieces of the destroyed ship so we can add some armor/additional space to our ship, especially more mount space in particular.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:45:00 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2015, 07:40:45 am »

"I wouldn't think it likely that anything dangerous remains on board, save perhaps the armory compartment. There is likely a reason we are not to open it... however, you may want to exercise caution. There may be traps set up by either well-meaning original crewmen or overly paranoid pirates."

The question is, how likely is it that unexploded munitions are in the ship we are supposed to salvage? Take a look at the damage from afar to determine as exact a likelihood as I am able.

Furthermore, what anti-boarding measures exist to deter, say, space pirates from doing exactly what we are planning to do right now? There is probably something, given that this is a governmental vessel and that nobody has stolen much that we can see from it yet (including the people who disabled it in the first place).

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2015, 05:12:04 pm »

"Hey well, why don't you two take a gentle look around whilst keeping an eye out on the side of the target furthest from the ship, and I'll start to work on this under the watchful eye of our more comfortable crewmates... But please don't take any risks till we've got this on board, eh? It would be best to get into a position where we can achieve our target and leave immediately as soon as we can.

Mr Thompson, what does it look like? Okay to go?"

After Neal has examined from afar, if nothing makes me think it will be dangerous, start attaching the salvage removal tool i.e. get to work! Let the others stand guard and/or explore as they see fit.

Note: If possible I'll carry my shotgun holstered on the outside of my spacesuit even if this might be considered pointless or impractical.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2015, 02:44:35 am »

Getting familiar with the size of the ship--similar to how a driver gets a solid feel of the proportions of their vehicle--Amelia relaxed in her chair and propped open her beloved novel on her lap, lifting a bookmark from its place (which was decorated on opposite sides by the stars Sirius A and B). She quickly checked the ship's positioning and vicinity to ensure no danger would happen while she was immersing herself in her book.  She tweaked with the ship's radio just on curiosity to see the nearest other channels. After listening to static for a few seconds, she returned to the same frequency everyone else was on, re-checking the folder objectives from memory.

"The crew is clear for boarding, Captain--just to note, we're completely safe from any significant danger, so I think the whole crew can embark while I watch the controls. We're safe as far as our sensors can see. Don't forget, we've a lot of storage space; 900 units for the numerically inclined, save 50 units for extra. When you're all done with manually dismantling what connects the armory to the ship (and any important others), I will activate the Anmyral Salvager upon your return. Bring home a memento!"

Read that book once more; ponder if I can reliably control the ship's weapon systems and commit myself to piloting at the same time.
How many turrets do we have, and where are they positioned again? ((Does it really matter if we know where they are?))

((I somehow can't find the airlock on the ship map. Are we a flat-ish ship? o_O Also are those benches or a long line of chairs? (The brown ╥) ))

Tirian is very busy and couldn't post her action so she sent it to me via IRC, as shown above.

The answers to her questions will also be put here:

1) The ship has four turret mounts, of which three are used. Two are taken up by an anti-ship cannon, and the last by a point defense turret.
1.5) Position generally won't matter unless a ship flies directly under you in which case none of your guns could hit.
2) The airlock isn't shown on the map because I couldn't find a decent icon for it on the map, but imagine its roughly in the middle of the ship.
3) The ship is indeed mostly flat though the bridge itself is actually elevated up above the rest of the ship.
4) that line of brown symbols represents both chairs and tables!

As an aside, I will be updating tomorrow :)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2015, 05:02:27 pm »

TK quickly checks to see what other weapons are available, just in case - using a knife in a space suit doesn't seem the greatest idea.
You check around the storage bays, but find nothing that could be used as a weapon let alone an actual weapon. If you want something aside from the knife it looks like you'll need to hope one of the other crew members would be willing to lend you a weapon for this.

Dio cracks his knuckles.
"And be sure to check for any survivors. I want to use some of the hull to increase our own ship's capabilities."
Apparently just buying some hull plates didn't come to mind.

Check to see if we have welding equipment. If not, how much cargo space do we have? Evaluate the practicality of bringing back some pieces of the destroyed ship so we can add some armor/additional space to our ship, especially more mount space in particular.
You take a few minutes to search the back half of the ship for anything that could pass a welding equipment, but the ship is devoid of anything not completely required to be fit for use making it look like the Corp wants you to fend for yourselves when it comes to gear. Its quite annoying that such a large corporation couldn't provide even simple tools, but thankfully you should be able to buy some when you get back to Calmar and get your pay for this damned mission. Sighing you head back up to the bridge as you start to think on whether or not you could use the relatively intact hull plates from the Customs vessel to reinforce this ship, and after a bit of thought you decide it'd definitely be possibly but you'd probably need quite a few tools you don't own at the moment ...

OOC: Each storage bay can hold 500 units of materials, to put that in perspective each of your space suits is five units of space, and the drone shell is twenty. The armory compartment would be able two hundred units worth of a storage bay.

Additional Armor Plating project available!

Trent clicked on his radio, his stilted, hesitant tones coming over the systems of the suits and the ship.
"Testing, testing... ah, seems to be all in order.

I doubt we'll find any thing live - circuity, or, well, humans. But remember capicitors can keep a charge, keep a jolt, long after their system has lost power, so be caareful... don't touch anything that looks dangerous.

We should probably recover the compartment first, as Neal said, but, er, feel free to pocket anything free floating that looks valuable. If it's not distasteful, if you're not squeemish, anything on corpses like armour and weapons would be good. Can build up a little ship armoury, a little weapons stockpile. Could be useful. Always trouble to be found."

After talking to the others over the suit radios for a bit you turn yourself to pondering on the simpler of your possible improvement ideas for the ship, a jail cell. The ship has eight bedrooms, and with two to spare you can easily adapt one of them to make for a jail. It'd be rather simple really to just remove the current door handle, weld over the hole on the far side, and then put a handle on the outside with several extra slide bolts at the top and bottom of the door. If you wanted to make something more advanced after that you'd need some better tools and access to a computer, and electrical parts ...

After that you think on the other two ideas you had.

In order to make the ship safer you could probably reinforce the entire generator room, take out the door there and replace it with an airlock design along with reinforcing the walls with hull plates from a ship. You'd need to put some more thought into it of course, but its a good starting point ...

Finally, the cannon improvement idea might be a bit more .... complex. It'd depend on how you went about it though a good starting point might be taking the entire gun apart to see how it works, and maybe finding a way to improve that?

Bedroom to Jail Cell Conversion project added.

"I wouldn't think it likely that anything dangerous remains on board, save perhaps the armory compartment. There is likely a reason we are not to open it... however, you may want to exercise caution. There may be traps set up by either well-meaning original crewmen or overly paranoid pirates."

The question is, how likely is it that unexploded munitions are in the ship we are supposed to salvage? Take a look at the damage from afar to determine as exact a likelihood as I am able.

Furthermore, what anti-boarding measures exist to deter, say, space pirates from doing exactly what we are planning to do right now? There is probably something, given that this is a governmental vessel and that nobody has stolen much that we can see from it yet (including the people who disabled it in the first place).

You take a look at the ship wreck via the feed on your datapad, and start to consider the possibility of remaining explosive munitions remaining on the Customs vessel and eventually come to the decision that it's a clear possibility. While its unlikely that the munitions systems for most of the destroyed guns survived there is the intact one whose munitions system is probably in perfect condition though you'd probably need to fire at it with your own weapons or set a fire directly inside of it to set them off.

After that you turn to worries of potential anti-boarding measures, but quickly toss them aside. The current rulers of Calmar are the Juliard family, and they have always been hesitant to invest funds into planetary and space law enforcement due to preferring the money for armaments flowed into their personal army. While internal defense systems existed and could be easily obtained with the right amounts of credits it was highly unlikely that the Customs Division had the excess funds to install defense droids, or automated turrets into the ship. Even if they had, with how much those costed, their recovery would've been one of your salvage objectives.

Quote from: Tiruin
Getting familiar with the size of the ship--similar to how a driver gets a solid feel of the proportions of their vehicle--Amelia relaxed in her chair and propped open her beloved novel on her lap, lifting a bookmark from its place (which was decorated on opposite sides by the stars Sirius A and B). She quickly checked the ship's positioning and vicinity to ensure no danger would happen while she was immersing herself in her book.  She tweaked with the ship's radio just on curiosity to see the nearest other channels. After listening to static for a few seconds, she returned to the same frequency everyone else was on, re-checking the folder objectives from memory.

"The crew is clear for boarding, Captain--just to note, we're completely safe from any significant danger, so I think the whole crew can embark while I watch the controls. We're safe as far as our sensors can see. Don't forget, we've a lot of storage space; 900 units for the numerically inclined, save 50 units for extra. When you're all done with manually dismantling what connects the armory to the ship (and any important others), I will activate the Anmyral Salvager upon your return. Bring home a memento!"

Read that book once more; ponder if I can reliably control the ship's weapon systems and commit myself to piloting at the same time.
How many turrets do we have, and where are they positioned again? ((Does it really matter if we know where they are?))

You think about possibly using the ship's weapons and flying at the same time, but quickly throw the thought aside as it'd be too difficult to manipulate the guns and maneuver the ship effectively. With that done you prep the Salvager for the work to come before sitting back to enjoy some more of your beloved book.

"Hey well, why don't you two take a gentle look around whilst keeping an eye out on the side of the target furthest from the ship, and I'll start to work on this under the watchful eye of our more comfortable crewmates... But please don't take any risks till we've got this on board, eh? It would be best to get into a position where we can achieve our target and leave immediately as soon as we can.

Mr Thompson, what does it look like? Okay to go?"

After Neal has examined from afar, if nothing makes me think it will be dangerous, start attaching the salvage removal tool i.e. get to work! Let the others stand guard and/or explore as they see fit.

Note: If possible I'll carry my shotgun holstered on the outside of my spacesuit even if this might be considered pointless or impractical.
Putting your shotgun into a holster on the back of your suit you begin to wait for Neal's opinion on the ship's potential dangers.

Spoiler: Dio Costanzo (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:13:33 pm by adwarf »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21