Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space  (Read 38295 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2015, 05:44:02 pm »

"As long as we get equal splits, I don't see why not. Don't see a reason to object."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 04:43:37 am »

((Updoot: I communicated with adwarf via PM to poke him to change my skills to Skilled Pilot and Navigations Expert. Looking forward to running a corvette or light-support fighter one day along with some skilled gunner out there to provide what I hope could be a very interesting turn in-game. Hopefully.
...I'm just excited by space RTDs because of their variance, especially under a skilled writer.
I love how you got my add-on items correct, adwarf. I love a good romance-action-thriller-epic storybook to unwind until I get piloting like the Millenium Flacon:P))

Amelia realized she was the only female on-crew, as well as being seemingly the youngest, and didn't pay any heed to that realization afterwards. Anyone would be as good a crew as she'd like, and she was optimistic in being with these folks around her.

"Name's Amelia. Surname changed for family protection. I'm skilled at piloting any craft needed in an atmosphere and otherwise, along with minute attention to manual maneuvering and identifying small-craft formation movements. Also an expert in navigations--either in a vacuum, an atmosphere, or towards hazardous jump algorithms. If we're to do any close-quarters insertions, I'm the person to call for bringing anyone in or out safely. I could work as our Navigations handler here, being painfully aware as to our ship's...current standards of movement."

Brief self with all those information folders!

Taking a look at all the folders, she gave a nod towards the one nearest to its deadline. "I'm all for Calmar's request. I'd personally like to set a record for crew efficiency, and I feel at ease with the rest of you.

"And I'm ok with you as Captain, Neil. Someone with a background in understanding the workings of the law is always someone I'd stand under. Not just knowing and abiding by the law, anyway.

"I'll be reading in the meantime. Anyone disturb me if needed."

Amelia wondered why someone with a constabulary background would come working as a salvage crew, but she guessed it was due to his environment.

Get to bearings with this ship's navigations system--ponder if I could suggest any upgrades to it, and then begin plotting a course towards that second folder.

Then begin reading that awesome book I brought!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:48:01 am by Tiruin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 01:59:34 pm »

"Thanks Amelia, good to have a good pilot on board. Anything anyone want to get done before we set course and get going? Oh, and do we have a name for the ship?"

Get to the bridge of our ship and get ready to head towards the customs salvage location!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 02:07:53 pm »

"It's got a name. It has a name, er, 78-Z9I. Doesn't roll off the tongue, but it's a name."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »

"Indeed, let's get to work. Glad to see everyone get along so well!"

To the customs salvage thing (once Melinda gets off the ship, presumably).

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »

TK heads to the ship as well and walks around it to get familiar with the interior.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 07:21:15 pm »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32:00 pm »

Get to bearings with this ship's navigations system--ponder if I could suggest any upgrades to it, and then begin plotting a course towards that second folder.

Then begin reading that awesome book I brought!

Taking your leave from the mess hall, you head up to the bridge along with a few others aiming to get accustom to the ship's controls, and systems before you begin your first flight in earnest. Entering onto the bridge you find a simplistic room with a raised platform in the center where the main consoles and flight controls are, and surrounding it is a total of four other stations which is quite surprising for a ship of this size though it's status as a salvage vessel probably requires them. You settle down into the pilot seat and immediately boot-up the navigation systems to give everything a once over, and make sure the system itself is up to your standards.

Within minutes you are certain that the way the system handles calculations, and the low-end automated logistical aspects is only partially right making the system effective, but only barely. Despite this knowledge you're fairly sure that any actual adjustments to the navigation system are going to require some fairly advanced coding, and mechanical adjustments along with a liberal amount of testing to ensure the changes you've come up with so far would work well.

With that checkup done you collapse back into the comfortable pilot's seat, and pull out your book to read a bit before the mission starts.

Navigational Logistics Improvement Modification possible, 50% progress to obtaining Love in the Stars' bonus.

TK heads to the ship as well and walks around it to get familiar with the interior.
While the others head up to the bridge you take a stroll through the ship to get a good feel for the vessel you're supposed to be helping keep in one piece, along with the crew of course, but Macnameer seemed to stress that the vessel was of utmost importance in a situation where the crew could be sacrificed to save it. Corporations never quite seem to understand ethics these days ...

From your tour of the ship you find the vessel was built with a heavy focus on symmetry with the places likely to have personnel towards the front of the vessel, all centered around the bridge and as far from the generator as possible. Of course the fact that the generator was placed at the very back, and crew quarters at the front either shows a concern for crew safety or someone was planning for their reactors to have critical flaws ...

Spoiler: Dio Costanza (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

GM Note: I will be keeping the ship's status in the OP, and will most likely refrain from putting it in updates except for ship battles in an effort to keep updates somewhat organized. That and that is a fair chunk of characters in that status :P

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 10:51:27 pm »

TK heads to Storage Bay 2 to look over the suits and make sure they're all in good shape.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 02:08:23 am »

"Fantastic!" said Dio, in completely nonchalant and unexpressive fashion.
Looking over the map, however, he notices something odd.
"Is that reactor room... connected to the rest of the habitat by only a door? I think we should reinforce it. The door or the reactor. Or both."

His old ship had woken him up on July 16, 1945, alerting him to an unexpected energy discharge on Earth's surface. The sensors picked up radiation as well as a massive fireball (that was when he educated himself as to what exactly radiation was). The future's ability to produce so much energy was rather frightening, and Dio couldn't imagine standing next to a reactor capable of megawatts without some hesitation.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 05:31:59 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 03:37:02 am »

”Perhaps you want a bit more time to familiarise yourself with the ship’s controls before we leave, Amelia?”

Inspect the ship! Check that the guns look as if they work, check the salvage equipment, check if there is a secure room we could lock miscreants in, and generally look busy until Amelia has finished her reading for today. Then depart!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 04:34:31 am »

Be unobtrusive as the others go about their business.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prosperous Stars - The Wealth of Space
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 07:08:22 pm »

TK heads to Storage Bay 2 to look over the suits and make sure they're all in good shape.
Thinking that its best not to leave the chance of your six space suits being perfectly fine, you head into storage bay two where the sight of a spherical frame with some kind of black cubes inside of it greets you. You look at the barely intact ... something before turning your attention to six pods that run across the wall on either side of the door. The stands themselves are fairly simplistic metal rigs meant to hold the suits up while a couple of tubes are connected to the back to charge the internal batteries, and keep the suits oxygen stores at full capacity. You give the suits and their rigs a once over, and while it might not be your field of expertise you find that the suits seem in relatively good condition despite some slightly worn looks on some of the exterior plating.

”Perhaps you want a bit more time to familiarise yourself with the ship’s controls before we leave, Amelia?”

Inspect the ship! Check that the guns look as if they work, check the salvage equipment, check if there is a secure room we could lock miscreants in, and generally look busy until Amelia has finished her reading for today. Then depart!
From a quick cursory glance over the hull cameras near the guns, you find that they do indeed look as if they work! Aside from that you have the system run a diagnostic on the salvage equipment, which shows everything to be in order, before taking your leave from the bridge to check for one of the most important facets to a ship. Your quick tour of the ship reveals that while there is nowhere specifically designed for locking up miscreants there are two unused bedrooms as well as some empty space around the bridge which could be adapted into cells. Of the two the bedrooms would be easiest, but turning some of the empty space into a brig wouldn't take away from the ship's crew capacity.

Quote from: Amelia Terinn
Finish reading book. Plot course!
You spend a short while longer reading your book before you finally reach the feeling of calm you were looking for. With a renewed sense of focus and a calm mind you turn your attention to the work ahead, plotting a reliable course to the Customs vessel.

It only takes you a few moments to plot a reliable course that takes you out of Calmar's main sphere of influence, and straight to the wrecked ship in almost no time. You suspect that at most it'll be half a day before the ship arrives.

~~~Twelve Hours Later~~~

The main engines power down some distance from the wreck of the Customs ship, and a couple of the secondary thrusters roar to life as they begin to counter the ship's forward momentum. In a short time the ship is floating a short distance from the wreck as the full crew assembles onto the bridge to get a good look at what you're going to be working on. The ship itself is shaped something like a rectangular box of welded metal plates with rounded edges and small rounded protrusions coming up out of the hull that once supported several ship based weapons though only one now remains intact. The ship itself has a series of holes running through the rear of the ship, and a massive crater like area where an engine used to be.

The compartment you're looking for is fairly easy to notice due to the fact that the hull protrudes out noticeably around it from the large quantity of reinforced plating protecting it. Taking the armory out of the ship will be easy enough with your ship's salvage array, but the question remains on whether you're willing to risk entering the ship to salvage anything valuable before you tear it apart ...

Spoiler: Dio Costanza (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Amelia Terinn (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neil Aurelius (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Kavanagh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobias Trent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Neal Thompson (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Potential Projects (click to show/hide)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »

Name: Rocco Coleman
Skills: Marksman, Stealthy

Ship Vote: Salvage Ship

A former soldier, from a unit that specialized in marksmanship and stealth. Kind of like sniping, I guess. He's forgotten most of his skills for the most part, though, which is why he isn't a better shot than/sneakier than other characters.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2015, 04:52:36 am »

"Well, shall we take the target compartment and get out of here, or shall we have a look round to see what else there is worthwhile? Any preferences? I'd suggest we get the compartment on board first and if the ship looks stable enough we should see what else there is... Maybe see what type of armament that is left on there."

Can we run any scans on the target ship and the immediate surrounding area? Signs of life, power, or danger? If it looks safe I guess 3-4 of us should board and get to work, leaving Amelia and Dio to man the ship and guns?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21