Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl 0.17 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!  (Read 21986 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl 0.17 tournament: get on a Bay12 team!
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2015, 05:10:57 pm »

Uh, no, I just completely spaced out on the fact Lugonu also brands weapons. But yeah, with the low base damage of a Demon whip, and the movespeed of a Naga, I wouldn't want to give ranged enemies free passage away from me.

Also I spectated 4th Arra on this guy and it was like, whoa. He never rests, never autoexplores, Apportates every item he needs to pick up, uses Passage of Golubria to travel around, and about a thousand other minor things I've never thought about. Of course, the base regen of a VS really helps, but still.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2015, 06:49:40 pm »

Yeah, distortion is bleh. Unless it's an Exec Axe or something solid enough to kill most enemies in a few hits, you're looking at a ton of blinking. Hope you're not Chei/Naga!

Also I think I may have lost the plot already. After splatting a number of Chei Octopodes and Ogres I've rolled a cat. Died three times (wee resurrection mechanics!), learned Statueform (96% fail rate!) and got into a labyrinth where I saved, since it's 2 am and I need to get up for work tomorrow. What am I doing with my life
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2015, 07:01:53 pm »

As melee naga most of your damage comes from Constriction, anyway, but man - whacking orbs of fire for like 50 turns without doing damage feels rather discouraging.
Any reason you went with freezing brand, Graven? You still had the distortion gift, which really shines on a fast weapon like a d-whip (although, of course, I can see why you wouldn't want to blink monsters around without any strong ranged attacks, but I thought constriction prevented that? I dunno). I was surprised to learn that orbs of fire actually resist cold, but it's still handy in Zot for draconians. Good job on the win!

Freezing scales well with high damage and works against more things then Flaming. Its better then vorpal/holy wrath against most foes. Distortion does absurd damage, but the blinking is ungodly annoying.

Ok, this VpEn is doing better than previous attempts. I found a vampiric dagger, which is always nice, and thanks to Gozag I could buy several expensive books in Orc:4. The last time I found Discord on a VpEn I was really impressed with it; and this time I've got Invis and summons to help against high MR foes. Hopefully I don't splat this guy 5 minutes later like the last one. Also, which of the high-level summoning spells do you guys recommend? Greater demon, Malign gateway, or Horrible things? I've got the book with all three, but unfortunately they've removed Aura of Abjuration, so I'm worried about hostile fiends, and the other two spells I've never used.

I must admit, VpEn of Gozag boggled me the first time I saw it. Vampires need corpses for blood. Gozag turns all corpses to gold. Unless this is a challenge run or I'm missing something, this seems like a tactical blunder.

Horrible Things seems like the best all-round summoning spell, with Malign Gateway a close second. Greater Demon sounds super risky to cast.

EDIT:

My HEFE of Vehumet, while not the most exciting or pointy combination, is doing well. My innate Elven frailty got counterbalanced by getting Robust 1 from a potion of benificial mutation and my equipment and resists are good. No rElec though, which almost got me killed by Nikola[I love scrolls of fog so much]. And my spells aren't the greatest, Bolt of Magma and Fireball are my best attack spells right now. Hopefully I'll find an actual Conjurations spellbook at some point, but, barring something really dumb[Merfolk avatars, for example], I'll be fine for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 07:06:29 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

BaronMunchausen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »

I must admit, VpEn of Gozag boggled me the first time I saw it. Vampires need corpses for blood. Gozag turns all corpses to gold. Unless this is a challenge run or I'm missing something, this seems like a tactical blunder.

Horrible Things seems like the best all-round summoning spell, with Malign Gateway a close second. Greater Demon sounds super risky to cast.
It's probably not the optimal way to play Vp, but the optimal way is so fiddly and tedious that I just let all my vampires go bloodless. Bloodless vampires are like really buff mummies who can drink potions; the only downside is the no-regen thing. That said, vampires gain health and nutrition in melee from their vampiric bite, and huge amounts of both from stabs, so I actually have trouble staying bloodless when I want to (like for poison immunity, for example). Plus Gozag always offers blood shops (wtf?) to vampires, so all I need is ~500 gold and I can buy all the blood I need. Throw in a +9 vampiric dagger and it's a surprisingly viable build. Plus it's fun (imo).

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2015, 07:52:31 pm »

It's probably not the optimal way to play Vp, but the optimal way is so fiddly and tedious that I just let all my vampires go bloodless. Bloodless vampires are like really buff mummies who can drink potions; the only downside is the no-regen thing. That said, vampires gain health and nutrition in melee from their vampiric bite, and huge amounts of both from stabs, so I actually have trouble staying bloodless when I want to (like for poison immunity, for example). Plus Gozag always offers blood shops (wtf?) to vampires, so all I need is ~500 gold and I can buy all the blood I need. Throw in a +9 vampiric dagger and it's a surprisingly viable build. Plus it's fun (imo).

Ah, alright. Makes sense. Wasn't quite sure if Gozag offered blood shops or similar. Usually I just hover on Near Bloodless as Vp so I get most of the undead advantages while still having SOME regen. Then I drink a potion of blood when I do go Bloodless. 's not really much more work then eating food like a normal person.

EDIT:

Dear god my HEFE is getting ridiculous. Due to a lucky randart ring[+5 Int & Wiz, amongst other things], I can cast Fire Storm and Tornado at 1% failure chance and zero hunger cost. I have no rMut though, which drove me thirteen levels into a Ziggurat before I gave up after a mummy level nearly killed me. There's still an unopened trove sitting around, but it requires ALL my piety. Current plan is clear Zot[I have a decent amount of cure mutation potions], open trove, convert to TSO and do Crypt. If I STILL don't have rMut by then, I might just get a five or six rune victory instead of trying for a 15-runer. I did still almost die to a death cob right after entering Zot. My solution is to keep myself at Engorged the whole time I'm in Zot and to Tornado/Fire Storm any of the little fuckers that come within LOS.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:40:46 am by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2015, 07:25:03 am »

Code: [Select]
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.17.0-24-gcfadda4 (console) character file.

640388 vogonpoet the Minotaur Porcupine (level 27, 99/245 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Gladiator on Nov 14, 2015.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Starved to death
             ... while paralysed
             ... on level 3 of the Realm of Zot on Nov 16, 2015.
             The game lasted 06:49:35 (92442 turns).

vogonpoet the Minotaur Porcupine (MiGl)            Turns: 92442, Time: 06:49:35

Health: 99/245     AC: 57    Str: 24    XL:     27
Magic:  29/29      EV:  2    Int: 15    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   4497       SH:  0    Dex: 14    Spells: 6 memorised, 22 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .     a - +6 bardiche (freeze)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  +     B - +9 crystal plate armour
rNeg   + + .     SustAt   .     (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +         Gourm    +     T - +2 hat {MR+}
rElec  .         Spirit   .     M - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  .         Warding  .     Y - +1 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
rMut   .         Stasis   .     P - +1 pair of boots "Goxzas" {rF++ rN+ MP-9}
MR     +++..                    O - amulet of the gourmand
Stlth  ..........               l - ring "Qopp" {MP+9 AC+5}
                                n - ring "Kimesuig" {+Inv rC+ rN+ Int+3 Slay+2}

@: paralysed, very slightly contaminated, fainting, repel missiles, invisible,
extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, talons 1, clarity, clumsy 1, cold resistance
1, deterioration 1, frail 1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Turn Visible
}: 3/15 runes: decaying, silver, gossamer

You were on level 3 of the Realm of Zot.
You worshipped Okawaru.
Okawaru was exalted by your worship.
You were fainting.

You visited 12 branches of the dungeon, and saw 56 of its levels.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You also visited: Bailey and Volcano.

You collected 10336 gold pieces.
You spent 5839 gold pieces at shops.

Well fuck. Seriously. I thought my Invis would help me out, I thought maybe eating would help me out. I don't really understand what a three-rune melee guy is meant to do to avoid this happening again? My SpEn just confuse-stabbed the fuckers. Kinda hard to avoid going through Zot... I guess instead of getting regen and rMiss online, I should have tried for some summons? Like, switch away from Crystal Plate to FDA for Zot, and hope to have Shadow Creatures online? Try to get by with Animate Skeleton if it generates?

My OgBe (most recent melee victory) just abused gourmand, and beserked as soon as it saw a death cob. Now I just starved to death with 48 fucking rations in my pack. Awesome :(
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2015, 10:08:02 am »

Were you paralyzed from fainting from hunger? Or something else?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2015, 10:19:04 am »

Dear god my HEFE is getting ridiculous. Due to a lucky randart ring[+5 Int & Wiz, amongst other things], I can cast Fire Storm and Tornado at 1% failure chance and zero hunger cost. I have no rMut though, which drove me thirteen levels into a Ziggurat before I gave up after a mummy level nearly killed me. There's still an unopened trove sitting around, but it requires ALL my piety. Current plan is clear Zot[I have a decent amount of cure mutation potions], open trove, convert to TSO and do Crypt. If I STILL don't have rMut by then, I might just get a five or six rune victory instead of trying for a 15-runer. I did still almost die to a death cob right after entering Zot. My solution is to keep myself at Engorged the whole time I'm in Zot and to Tornado/Fire Storm any of the little fuckers that come within LOS.

Why not just Zin? It's even better than rMut, and depending on your invocations it's almost better for Tomb.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2015, 10:23:21 am »

The killing stats say Cobs killed only 6 players, but I don't think it count starves as the cob's fault. You usually get killed by something else while fainting anyway. I wonder what the true stat is.

SpottedWobbegong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2015, 11:09:15 am »

Best mutations ever!
Also, best Felid of mine ever!(cleared Orc, Lair, Swamp:2)

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:51 am »

Were you paralyzed from fainting from hunger? Or something else?

Hunger hunger hunger. Then some more hunger. I tried eating a ration, but lost satiation overall, so then tried to kill the death cob... I should have double blinked away before reaching feinting, eaten, then I don't know, tried something else.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2015, 01:59:17 pm »

Ya death cobs are utterly ridiculous now - my stupid cheiform octopode died in a single turn of mine. Granted, that equates to like 500 of the cob's turns, but still. My naga basically just choked the fuckers to death while wolfing down steaks, but that's probably not an option for everyone.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2015, 02:27:02 pm »

The killing stats say Cobs killed only 6 players, but I don't think it count starves as the cob's fault. You usually get killed by something else while fainting anyway. I wonder what the true stat is.

Starvation is on there, #50. Query what percentage is not Death Cob-related. But yeah, that certainly doesn't include death via Orb Guardian/Juggernaut/OoF/Ancient Lich/etc while fainted.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »

I keep meeting ghosts of gw in the early levels, turns out it's a bot with over 3500 game played, no wonder haha.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2015, 05:42:28 pm »

Today I learned the IE book is even better than I previously thought. How did I learn this, you ask? I watched a better player play.

And by play I mean utterly abuse Summon Ice Beast to get a rather pathetic felid all the way to Shoals. And then I tried it myself.

Use Ice Beasts, people-not-using-ice-beasts. Don't be like me before.

That is all.

edit : Also someone kill Tiamat please it's driving me insane
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:24:13 pm by Graven »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15