Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73905 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2015, 07:43:42 am »

Still, it does lead to a question - do you guys want to stay as a pure mech unit, or would you like to slowly build up an armored unit and become a combined arms battalion?

Combined arms seems pretty great actually. Hell, I'd switch to being infantry if we get a stock of mausers, clan or not. Those things are just plain deadly.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2015, 11:49:01 am »

Still, it does lead to a question - do you guys want to stay as a pure mech unit, or would you like to slowly build up an armored unit and become a combined arms battalion?

Combined arms seems pretty great actually. Hell, I'd switch to being infantry if we get a stock of mausers, clan or not. Those things are just plain deadly.

I love vehicles.  As a FRR KungsArmé veteran, my character probably has more experience with combined arms, on account of the FRR having less to go around.  So unless other commanders want vees, I'll claim the first couple for my lance.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2015, 11:59:20 am »

Definitely not against combined arms if that's where you want to go!
Lots of the little guys can carry a good punch for their price.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:23 pm »

Sounds like there's plenty of support. How do you want to go about it - reinforced lances of 4 mechs and 2 vehicles? Completely seperate vehicle command structure so they get their own missions?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2015, 12:57:09 pm »

Sounds like there's plenty of support. How do you want to go about it - reinforced lances of 4 mechs and 2 vehicles? Completely seperate vehicle command structure so they get their own missions?

Remember that most contracts will force mechs into our lances, and they count towards the Maximum 6.  A single mech is the most common result, so regular lances of 3 mechs 2 vehicles would be the best default layout.

For employers that insist on saddling us with 2 mechs, I suggest a default lance of 3 mechs and 1 vehicle, since we have no control over the Employer mechs in that scenario.  In the one battle with an employer-controlled mech, they walked into water, crashing their mech.  So they're borderline suicidal, and we get penalized if any die.  I'm not banking victory on those guys.

Cadre Training is completely different than normal contracts: Three player-controlled mechs are added.  I am unsure if Employer mechs are still added as per usual.  Might as well leave it up to the lance commander on the babysitting mission to design his or her lance, although it provides an ideal opportunity to train up our green mechwarriors.

In fact, depending on our contract, setting up a training lance as one of our required lances would be a good idea.  I will also note that Recon is the most likely lance type to engage in battle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2015, 04:09:25 pm »

Mind you if the scenario is truly disadvantageous to vehicles, we shouldn't deploy them.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2015, 04:12:13 pm »

Unfortunately, you don't really know until you've gotten the assignment. By the time you've gotten it and know what terrain you're in, your lance has already been deployed and you can't change it (I mean, you can, but shouldn't, technically :P).

However, if the lance leaders have points in Tactics, we'll be able to reroll some parts of the map generation for specific engagements.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »

Unfortunately, you don't really know until you've gotten the assignment. By the time you've gotten it and know what terrain you're in, your lance has already been deployed and you can't change it (I mean, you can, but shouldn't, technically :P).

However, if the lance leaders have points in Tactics, we'll be able to reroll some parts of the map generation for specific engagements.

Seriously what is with these people withholding info until after it would have been useful?

Reminds me when my Lance was sent to a planet that was cloaked in a thick fog and it was night... but the enemy had lights, but not us. :P

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2015, 08:27:58 pm »

Not super well versed on the intricacies of MegaMek, but that sounds hilarious. Also, I'd love to voice my support for vehicles. Roger probably doesn't have too much experience working with them, but he's definitely willing to learn to work with a combined arms lance.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2015, 08:47:27 pm »

Er, I had this assignment that looked unbalanced for my lance, and a mech in reserve, so I just went "Join those guys", and that was that.

I haven't even played the assignment yet, so maybe I should see if it was truly unbalanced.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2015, 07:57:03 am »

Not super well versed on the intricacies of MegaMek, but that sounds hilarious.

If it means anything the fog was so thick that if you were outside without a suit (or if your life support was hit) you would drown from the sheer water content of the air.

Did I ever mention that Battletech is an awesome game?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:16:06 am by Neonivek »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2015, 04:18:49 pm »

Not super well versed on the intricacies of MegaMek, but that sounds hilarious.

If it means anything the fog was so thick that if you were outside without a suit (or if your life support was hit) you would drown from the sheer water content of the air.

Did I ever mention that Battletech is an awesome game?
I think I know what happened here....

"You idiot, you landed the dropship in a lake! Those Mechwarriors are going to be pissed!"
"Relax, they're not that bright. We'll just tell them it's *really* thick fog."  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 03:19:48 am »

Episode 2 – Generation

After some thought, I’m going to end up splitting up this episode. I was originally going to show an overview of the MekHQ interface, but I’ll do so briefly at the start of the next episode. Instead, I’ll just explain the screens I’m using to finish up generation.

Spoiler: Setting up the Company (click to show/hide)

Next time, I’ll give an overview of the MekHQ interface, and we’ll travel to our first contract and get into a fight (or three!)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2015, 04:37:54 am »

I am just hoping I am not a burden.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2015, 07:55:32 am »

Natural piloting aptitude. Who knew? Now it just comes down to me surviving long enough for it to actually matter.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 40