Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

See Episode 11, Which contract should we take?

Contract 1, FedCom Extraction Raid
- 4 (100%)
Contract 2, Outworlds Alliance Recon Raid
- 0 (0%)
Contract 3, FedCom Recon Raid #1
- 0 (0%)
Contract 4, FedCom Recon Raid #2
- 0 (0%)
None of the above - wait a month and try again (please post to specify acceptable contract criteria)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40

Author Topic: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)  (Read 73865 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Let's Play MegaMek (Against the Bot campaign)
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

Hah, that was *awesome*. I'm not currently seeing how Han Zoku's gonna become the leader of this, but somehow Zoku's 7th Kappas of Zoku's Kappa Sevens (for the bay where we all got stuck together) have a nice ring to them. Also, could we get a list of character names on the OP as well, so I know whose characters are doing what?

Also, Zhou was definitely not used to liquor. He was quiet and repeatedly brushing his bleary eyes to try to get rid of all the weird colours when people started talking about the loan. He went pale, got up, ran to the contract, grabbed it out of whoever's hands, stared at it for a few seconds before recognising his signature and barfing most of what he ingested the night before. The rest would come out at irregular intervals over the next few hours.

Right after vomiting over Lucky's words, with drooping drool and unrecognisable chunks of food lining his lips, Zhou put a hand on Han's shoulder and with a half-smirk says: "Yeah, Han, better get us a contraaAAAAAAAEUGH", the end of the sentence being interrupted by yet another heave of food out onto the floor.

A great start to a great saga!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2015, 03:03:09 pm »

Yes, a really great start!

I think I'll have to do a write up offering to take the greenhorns through a simulator to teach them which is the deadly end of a PPC.

Not a problem, and there will be simulator time for everyone coming up, taking the greener members on a nice orientation run sounds like a good idea.  8)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:10 pm »

Brenner had an uneasy feeling in his stomach. Most likely caused by the copious amounts of liquor he had consumed the night before with his new brothers-in-arms, but also by the slow realization that several of the people who would be responsible for watching his back might have absolutely zero actual combat experience. He seemed to recall in what had become a jazzy blur of a night at least one pilot claiming to have just taken a mech and booking passage directly to Outreach.

A pilot who didn't know what they was doing, was a liability, worse if they were foolish enough to think themselves better than those around him. And unlike the State armed forces, if a pilot got himself killed, there wouldn't be a replacement on hand. An outfits profitability hinged on the survivability of it's jockeys.

Thankfully Outreach had galaxy-renowned training facilities. It would probably be a very good thing to get many of those gathered out for a run to gauge everyone's skill level. But perhaps a few bouts in the simulator would probably be in order first.

James downed the last slug of his quickly-cooling coffee, "I wouldn't mind walking people through a simulator session for those who are interested." Adding with a smirk, "Once people's stomachs have settled of course. Wouldn't want to lose our deposits on cleaning fees." 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2015, 08:38:08 pm »

Konrad cracked open a 5 C-bill tin of sauerkraut and dumped a hefty couple of spoonfuls into a 5 C-bill glass of the cheapest Periphery rotgut he had been able to find. He noticed the crowd of eyes on him. "What? Is hair of dog." (BTW, Konrad doesn't speak terribly good English -- mostly German, some Swedenese and a bit of Japanese and Russian. I picture him sounding like Nosh from Drive:P )

"So," he remarked, in between a hearty gulp which induced groans and some retching from a few folks towards the back, "who is being chain of command, ja?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2015, 03:55:15 am »

the OP has been edited to include a list of characters and their owners.

Good point also on 'so why'd he become Captain', and something I hope to address in the next interlude.

Also, for those writing, feel free to fill in stories wherever in the timeline feels fit. I was thinking to make a reading list in the OP to sort things out in a chronological order. So if you want to do an expanded origin story for your character or spend time on the training on outreach while mechanically we're on our first contract, it's all fine with me.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2015, 05:52:07 am »

Interlude 2
Sorting Things Out

Inspired by your replies and questions, a second chapter, hopefully answering some of the questions raised. Once again, any questions or feedback is appreciated.

Spoiler: February 29, 3040 (click to show/hide)

The 12th Bay Hammerers isn't set in stone, by the way. After we accept our first contract, it's harder to change, but right now we can choose what we want to call ourselves. If there's support for another name, let's hear it!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2015, 08:02:25 am »

Xidonius shakes his head as he hears the cheer go up from inside of the tavern. It was nice that the c-bills he had found inside of his looted mech had helped the group but he wasn't exactly sure how much longer they would tolerate his presence. To call himself a MechWarrior would be a joke. He had nearly wrecked that...fuck. What was it called? The hawk? Getting it onto the jumpship that had brought him to Outreach. Letting out a soft curse as he shakes his head and he pushes off from the wall, heading to the hangar housing the as of yet, unnamed merc company.

Still, it wasn't as if he had many options available to him. He was used to hard labor from his 'stay' underneath his captors and doing anything like that work again was enough to turn his stomach. He certainly wasn't educated and that didn't leave very many options left open to him. At least he was free now. The thought bringing a little smile to his face after he reaches the hangar. It doesn't take long him for him to locate his mech, staring up at it. "...I suppose your like me huh? Just got your sorry ass abducted from god knows where...Yeah, well that makes two of us. Treat me right and I'll try to keep you going eh? Sounds fair."

Christ. He was talking to a hunk of metal. Better keep that to himself. God knows he didn't need to be even more alienated from the group than he already was.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2015, 09:00:45 am »

Martin is on the way to his Mech when he sees Xidonius staring at his and muttering something.
'He looks every bit as afraid as I am. I guess I can just hide it better. Never thought that a background in gambling could be useful in a career such as mechwarrior. Oh well, there is a lot of stuff I never thought about. Like: what if you are on an hours long mission and need the toilet? Not a pleasant thought. Good thing about my ride is, that it can stay at range. Also PPC. I kinda bought that baby with a Mech attached, not the other way round. But man, it gets hot in there! And that look at the faces of the others when I asked if someone could take a look at the air conditioning. Damn, every kid knows those cockpits can be hot, but who knew it would be that bad? And this was just a training run. More like a walk, really, and some shooting at stationary practice targets. I even hit them a couple of times! And got a target lock with the missiles, but why waste perfectly good ammo on concrete blocks? Ha, but I won my bet against Konrad who said I'd not make it through the course without falling. Now I won't have to eat his weird stuff and instead he pays for tonights beers. Can't say I blame him for offering that bet though, everyone saw my first simulator run. They almost died laughing. Good thing I learned to laugh about myself at an early age, but I would have liked if that stopped with my departure from Solaris. Oh well, it is not like I didn't deserve it. The only thing I managed to hit was Zhous Cockpit...not a good start to the training.'

Back in the tavern.
"So, 12th Bay Hammerers? Sounds fine to me. There must be a planet somewhere where they just number their bays instead of just reusing those old Terran names again. And we could say we dropped the hammer on someone there. And you can at least cheer Bay Hammerers. Heh, we are a small group, we might be like dwarves hammering away at something, reduce it evermore until it matches our size."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2015, 01:16:40 pm »

For the record, Jack was just testing Han out.  He had no desire to actually command this sorry lot, at least not yet.

Expect Jack to continue to test the newly-minted commander and keep him on his toes as his XO.  And if Jack thinks Han is making a mistake, Jack won't hold back.

Not that Jack would openly admit all this.  I didn't mention this before, but Jack was occasionally involved with covert ops for the FRR KungsArmé.  He doesn't talk about those missions too much, as he still takes his vows of secrecy seriously.  Just as a reminder, Jack didn't leave the FRR KungsArmé due to disloyalty but rather due to a desire for more action.  He would be vocal against taking a contract against the FRR KungsArmé, but ultimately support the decision to take such a contract if it was the best one available.  He know loyalty to the Mercenary Company must override loyalty to one's home nation.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2015, 01:44:48 pm »

Another good post!

I'll be interested to see all the stats/skills/quirks we rolled out with :)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2015, 03:12:12 am »

I'm playing along at home with a custom starting company: Farmer's Revolt, containing a Medium Command Mech, Light Mechs, Primitive Mechs, and Commercial Mechs!

I slotted them into a Garrison mission, as they have enough starting issues as it is.  I have like two starting Elites, and only two Greens.  I guess they were successful at their initial rebellion!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2015, 06:13:07 am »

I've been playing around today with aerospace - however it looks like the AI generally has no idea in 0.3.19 with what to do with flying units. I was noticing already that VTOLs tend to huddle in a corner of the map and sideslip around until they fail a piloting roll and crash... well it seems fighters have the same issue.

I still might present some story sections with aerospace (like a contested attempt to reach the planet to land), but I think I'll skip the poll I was going to do if we wanted to add aerospace fighters to the unit as it isn't much fun if all that happens is the AI drools in a corner of the map because it can't understand the ruleset. (As it was, I ended up having to play against myself. I did learn some important lessons about not letting the velocity of a Sparrowhawk hit 30 before trying to turn or slow down!)

Still, it does lead to a question - do you guys want to stay as a pure mech unit, or would you like to slowly build up an armored unit and become a combined arms battalion?

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2015, 06:34:37 am »

I've been playing around today with aerospace - however it looks like the AI generally has no idea in 0.3.19 with what to do with flying units. I was noticing already that VTOLs tend to huddle in a corner of the map and sideslip around until they fail a piloting roll and crash... well it seems fighters have the same issue.

I still might present some story sections with aerospace (like a contested attempt to reach the planet to land), but I think I'll skip the poll I was going to do if we wanted to add aerospace fighters to the unit as it isn't much fun if all that happens is the AI drools in a corner of the map because it can't understand the ruleset. (As it was, I ended up having to play against myself. I did learn some important lessons about not letting the velocity of a Sparrowhawk hit 30 before trying to turn or slow down!)

Still, it does lead to a question - do you guys want to stay as a pure mech unit, or would you like to slowly build up an armored unit and become a combined arms battalion?

Combined arms tends to be fun. Plenty of vees make rather awesome support vehicles. I couldn't point out which ones because I normally play Vees in the 2750 star league era.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2015, 06:36:28 am »

Sometimes it is better to treat aerospace units as a sort of map element. Calling in airstrikes for example.

Though I don't think Megamek has function for half the "Ok, we will just assume this is off the map and you can call it in if you get a target lock or radio in" that actual GMs do. Such as artillery.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2015, 06:38:39 am »

Sometimes it is better to treat aerospace units as a sort of map element. Calling in airstrikes for example.

Though I don't think Megamek has function for half the "Ok, we will just assume this is off the map and you can call it in if you get a target lock or radio in" that actual GMs do. Such as artillery.

I believe you can deploy artillery off board. Indirect fire isn't accurate at all though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 40