Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75

Author Topic: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2020 N. American Hurricane Thread)  (Read 115540 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: ITS RAINING SIDEWAYS! (2018 N. American Hurricane Thread)
« Reply #720 on: September 12, 2018, 07:20:33 pm »

Mmm....rich, thick, chocolatey Dysentery!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 12, 2018, 07:38:04 pm »

Yeah, the river's color sometimes distinctly reminds me of chocolate milk, and it's a pretty normal occurrence.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »

EDIT: The evacuee train is real, y'all. I-40 West is at a crawl for a hundred miles or so coming up from the coast. Could be the largest mass migration of people in NC history. Tens, if not hundreds of thousands. Shelters are filling up all over the state. Raleigh alone is urging about 26,000 residents in low-lying areas to relocate.
I drove I-40 East towards Raleigh today, and West past Raleigh was a train halfway to Greensboro. Even small town exits caused massive traffic uptick.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 12, 2018, 10:20:01 pm »

I'm hearing that there are 6 Nuclear power plants in the path of Florence. You know what that means...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But in all seriousness, I do hope those facilities are properly locked down. This mess is going to be bad enough without radioactive materials being mixed into the soup.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »

11pm EST update: Max winds slowed down slightly to 110, it sped up slightly to 17. Track curvature is pretty similar, except it's pushed inland and it really stalls for a day, and the depression remnants take a hard right.

Weather Underground article with detailed going ons.

Also, if I have this page interpreted correctly, the diameter is actually now a bit smaller than Katrina was, which was mentioned in the previously linked article.

Explaination on why it's stalling and moving erratically, if anybody's curious.

I'm hearing that there are 6 Nuclear power plants in the path of Florence. You know what that means...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But in all seriousness, I do hope those facilities are properly locked down. This mess is going to be bad enough without radioactive materials being mixed into the soup.

They're generally designed to take a hit from a tornado or hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: September 12, 2018, 10:32:45 pm »

Ha ha ha.

Speaking of that, the other (/actual) major radioactive energy source. Apparently there's huge piles of coal ash chillin' in the path of the storm. Let's hope even more emphatically those are properly secured. Water even more contaminated by waste isn't exactly the sort of fun the poor bastards in the way of this thing needs.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: September 12, 2018, 11:01:32 pm »

Major pressure jump too, up to 957mbar. This is a good sign, although it's still 400+ miles across. Rain is going to be the big killer here.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: September 13, 2018, 07:39:01 am »

The morning report from Fort RedKing:

Eno River depth: 3.33' (40 inches)
Eno River flow rate: 230 cu.ft./s
Precipitation: Negligible

Waffle House: OPEN

River still slowly rising from scattered area rain over the last couple of days.

As of 8am, Florence is a Category 2 storm, at 110mph sustained winds and a central pressure of 956mbar, moving NW at 12mph. It's 170 miles ESE of WIlmington, with a TS windfield radius of 195mi. Thus, as you can work out from the math, the outer edges are coming ashore now.

Most of the webcams in the area seem to be down (probably overloaded or the owners have evacuated and shut systems down), but here's one still up from Carolina Beach:
https://www.surfline.com/surf-report/carolina-beach-pier/5842041f4e65fad6a7708a49

Also one from the Bald Head Island ferry (although ferry service has been shut down, as far as I'm aware):
https://www.baldheadisland.com/island/ferry-cam

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: September 13, 2018, 08:17:46 am »

Aannndd the shitgibbon is now openly denying the existence of thousands dead after his administration's last foray into major hurricane response, claiming the statistics are made up and a plot to make him look bad.

Congrats, carolinas and those other ones, if you lose four digit plus population your government's highest office is going to lie about it happening ::)

Pray the state level response is on the ball, folks, or Florence ends up being a lot nicer than it's been looking like it will be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: September 13, 2018, 09:09:26 am »

Hurricane Florence has like, almost doubled in size overnight (at least it looks doubled from the animation) and the outer bands are hitting the coastline soon, if not already.

The 3 day track looks basically the same, except maybe stalled for longer, and the remnants look like they could potentially hit Virginia, along with a whole lot of other states.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: September 13, 2018, 09:20:18 am »

Aannndd the shitgibbon is now openly denying the existence of thousands dead after his administration's last foray into major hurricane response, claiming the statistics are made up and a plot to make him look bad.

Congrats, carolinas and those other ones, if you lose four digit plus population your government's highest office is going to lie about it happening ::)

Pray the state level response is on the ball, folks, or Florence ends up being a lot nicer than it's been looking like it will be.

I will say, state level response has always been the major bulk of any hurricane recovery effort I've experienced. I remember a single instance where federal assistance was even noticed in the immediate aftermath, and that was nearly a week into a 2+ week complete loss of infrastructure situation. About 4-5 days after the National Guard did finally show up with MREs and Water to distribute and you saw them as the roads started to clear, directing traffic at busy intersections. I'm sure they had other jobs as well, but that's my experience with them.

State though, and not just the affected state, but neighboring states almost always send SOME sort of assistance. Power crews from all over the region are staged just outside of the storm zone so they can move in and start clearing lines immediately. Pretty sure I've seen out of area police vehicles patrolling immediately after as well.

As a minor mention defending the Puerto Rico response, its isolation didn't help matters. But that should have been accounted for. Stumbling immediately after the storm could have been defended if it didn't seem like they decided to just ignore it and hope the news stopped talking about it.

EDIT: Upon further reading the National Guard may have in fact been more state level response, as state governors can call upon them. President can also mobilize them if necessary, so I'm not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:33:44 am by sluissa »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:50 am »

The National Guard can be activated by both the governors and the President.

Jeff Piotrowski is streaming now. Storm surge hitting the Outer Banks.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: September 13, 2018, 10:05:25 am »

I would love for that stuff to be captioned, even glitchy captioned.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06:49 am »

Jeff Piotrowski is streaming now.

Is he at the Car Worsh?
Blue Shed 2018?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 13, 2018, 10:09:24 am »

Jeff Piotrowski is streaming now.

Is he at the Car Worsh?
Blue Shed 2018?

Wrong state. He's currently on one of the barrier islands near Wilmington.

edit: He's now left the barrier islands, going somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:15:42 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 75