Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28

Author Topic: THE SYSTEM - Game Over!  (Read 36122 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: THE SYSTEM - Active Cycle 1
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2015, 05:50:05 pm »

flabort:
Shakerag: Neat to see you outside a BYOR. What attracted you here, and what strategies do you intend to use in this set-up?
Well webadict might be dead, so I'm going to need to branch out.  Meph is one mean fothermucker when it comes to making games, and it's a semi-bastard, so I just had to check this one out.

Strategy wise, going from previous Meph (semi-)bastard games, we really, really, really need to figure out the bastard mechanics or we're going to get screwed over.  The most classic example of this is Bastard Paranormal 1.  Town lynched scum 2 out of 3 days and lost, because the real scum was not the apparent scumteam. 
Uh-oh. I'm hoping he's not dead, not just for our sake. I guess that makes sense, though.

Also, ouch. I wouldn't have expected a game like that; I guess when Meph goes bastard he really goes for it. But this IS a semi-, not a full bastard game. I have to agree, finding out what makes this game (semi-)bastard is super important, but we do already have the advantage of knowing that the bastard element has to do with edited posts.
flabort: Have you made chop suey (so to speak) of the mechanics in a previous bastard game?
Parsing error at line 19: No such command "ChopSuey", did you mean "ClusterFuck"?
Everyone: Do you think asking a question to "everyone" is a bullshit and lazy tactic and that you refuse to answer such questions as well?
Only if it's the only question that person asked, and I'll still answer such a question anyways.

The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2015, 06:21:11 pm »

We should probably try and find out the point behind that edit, if any.

Apart from the whole giant comic sans message, does anyone remembers OSG's post clearly enough to know if the original content was modified?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2015, 06:33:40 pm »

Apart from the whole giant comic sans message, does anyone remembers OSG's post clearly enough to know if the original content was modified?
No. The part before the comic sans has remained unchanged as far as I can remember.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 12:29:08 am »

OSG: Please answer my question:
Oragami: What should we do if anyone lurks for too long?

Quarantine them for proper removal.
Are you an advocate of Lynching all Lurkers? Do you have experience with this technique working?

TBF: It sure makes it harder to read when you post in code. Anyway, please elaborate on the answers you gave to my questions. The 2nd one in particular needs more than a yes or no answer.

Code: [Select]
Query query = new Query(System.in, "Is quarantine irrevocable?");
Query query = new Query(this.getAllActivePrograms(), "The System appears to have ignored direct queries so far.  Does anyone have an idea on how else we might be able to find win conditions?");
assert(fonts.comic_sans.isCommonlyUsedByReputableAntivirus() == false && useof(get(fonts.comic_sans), getUserProgram(fonts.comic_sans /*returned origamiscienceguy*/)) != is_necessarily_a_virus);
/*asserts that Comic Sans is not normally used by antivirus programs and that it does not necessarily make a program using said font a virus*/

Are you implying that you do not know your wincon?

Peradon: Metaphorically speaking, do you think it is easier to catch scum with sugar or with vinegar?
Everyone: Do you think asking a question to "everyone" is a bullshit and lazy tactic and that you refuse to answer such questions as well?
Eh, vinegar works better. Trying to buddy with a scum does no good. They know your alignment already, and thus wont be fooled by your sugary words. I think Logic works best though.

No, I do not. If I did, I wouldnt have asked one.  It is not a lazy tactic at all. It is a tactic used in RVS when the person asking is running out of serious questions.

No. The part before the comic sans has remained unchanged as far as I can remember.
The Comic Sans has been removed. This is interesting.... Thoughts, anyone?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2015, 03:30:44 am »

Teneb
NQT, that is probably doing a gambit anyway, just not overtly.
My only gambit is to play well in this game and focus less on self-aggrandising stunts and more on finding scum.

Perhaps the mod edits posts that sound like they're hostile? Let me try:

I am prayerfully letting all to you hoping that you will respond positively and wont betray my trust. I'm Mr NQT; from Bay 12. I'm currently undergoing medical treatment for gambits. I have decided to DONATE $10 Million USD to you for the good work of GOD to promote humanitarian works. I.e.and assisting the less privileged. I have just been informed by my doctor that I have few months to live due to gambit illness. I decided reaching out to a total stranger in your person to help me carrying out this task. Please reply for more info

Tomasque
Okay, seriously, I don't understand how these questions will help the town at all... Lastly, Unvote. I'm sorry I just jumped on you there NQT. But once again, what is the exact point of these questions?
The B12 meta is to begin every game with questions of dubious merit. Everyone who comes from other mafia boards finds it odd. It gets conversations started.

Couldn't we have people claim roles, or something?
That's a bad idea as it allows the scum to better prioritise their night kill order.

Starting a game of mafia is about pulling yourself out of the swamp by your own hair: you scum hunt people for not scum hunting.

Deus Asmoth
NQT, you haven't run very many gambits (two that I've played with). What convinced you that they were a bad idea?
There's definitely a time and a place for them, but most of the time correct play is best. What convinced me is that I was just wholly unsuccessful with most of the fancy plays I'd made, but much more successful in games where I was consistently and aggressively scum hunting.

Shakerag
notquitethere: Do you think your standard vote analysis will give you as much of an innervision as to who is scum in this game as compared to a non-bastard game?
As I rely more on votes rather than the content of people's votes, I don't think the mod messing with people's posts is actually going to affect my method all that much. Hopefully, after we've had the lynch flip and any night action fallout, we'll all be clearer on what the bastard aspect of the game might be.

Toony
Toony, noted. Do you think TBF has a post restriction or is just messing with us?
He's messing with us.
Yeah, he's now admitted to it being for fun. Do you think this is pro-scum, pro-town, or neutral?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:46 am »

The post seems to have been restored to normal:

Oh! Quarantine means vote. That makes alot more sense now.

Perhaps it was a pop-up ad?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2015, 08:03:00 am »

Welp x_x Could've In'd to this...but then surprise typhoon knocked out all power on Friday (restored on the same day), but all internet until today [Saturday, late afternoon to be exact]

Ahh. ._.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2015, 09:18:32 am »

I know this sounds farfetched and somewhat scummy, but I think that the "mafia" are the ones that change the posts. Their choice of post was a good one, but it was too late. Why was it a good post? Just look:
Oh! Quarantine means vote. That makes alot more sense now.
If a person who didn't understand that read the post, they would realize that it was really simple to vote. If they couldn't read it, they might not realize it until the following day, but they probably would have declared a no lynch the day before because of there confusion! See how that would benefit the mafia?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2015, 11:33:59 am »

OSG: Please answer my question:
Oragami: What should we do if anyone lurks for too long?

Quarantine them for proper removal.
Are you an advocate of Lynching all Lurkers? Do you have experience with this technique working?
Sorry about that. I do think that anyone who lurks too long should be lynched. If anything, it will remove an unhelpful player with a chance of removing a scum member.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2015, 12:13:13 pm »

Roight.  In the interest of not confusing everybody, I'm going to stop with the code stuff.  That and that is actually kind of hard to do. 
@NQT: Don't you mean work of Armok?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2015, 03:18:12 pm »

Quarantine Count
origamiscienceguy: Peradon, ToonyMan
TheBiggerFish: Shakerag
Tomasque: notquitethere

Active Cycle 1 ends ~5pm Pacific Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2015, 04:24:05 pm »

@Everyone: Do you actually know your wincon?  Just yes or no.
I know mine.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2015, 04:49:44 pm »

I know mine.
Yes, I know mine. I am also able to relate it to a common wincon in other games, it is just worded differently to fit the theme.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2015, 05:05:50 pm »

I know mine.
If you do know your wincon, why did you imply that you didnt here?
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2015, 05:06:58 pm »

Yes. This doesn't seem to be the type of game where the windows would be hidden.

...I just realized... What if the Moderator changes the OP??!
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28