Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: THE SYSTEM - Game Over!  (Read 36115 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SYSTEM - Active Cycle 1
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2015, 01:42:54 pm »

Deus Asmoth:
ShakeThe OP said that figuring out the mechanics of this game would be necessary to win, so I guess it must be possible once some information starts getting revealed.

Do you think that replying to rhetorical questions is pointless?
Sure, but what do you think our odds are?

And ... no.  Sometimes it's amusing to respond to rhetorical questions. 

Are you a fan of rhetorical questions?

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:42 pm »

I don't understand the point of the (seemingly) random question. I don't see how the answers could benefit the town at all, so I'll automatically assume that you are a scum or are using some sort of gambit. Here's a question for you: Which one of those is it?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »

Code: [Select]
boolean has_post_restriction = false;
Answer answers = new Answer(Deus_Asmoth, "Enough that I felt like I didn't need to join a BM, but none with this particular game type.");
Answer answer2 = new Answer(Shakerag, "No clue.  I don't know all you people.  That or the GM.");
Query systemquery = new Query(System.in, "What is this System's objective?");
((@All: I'm posting in code snippets because I feel like it.  If it's really really annoying, ask and I'll stop, but I like the immersion factor.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2015, 02:15:25 pm »

Peradon: Given that posts may be changed by the mod, when do you think it will happen? What do you intend to do to find out what has changed?
I think it will happen during the night or after the lynch. My initial thoughts are that when we quarantine someone, all the "Data" produced by that someone will be expunged, which means that we wont be able to do analyses as well. There is also the possibility that the Virus has the ability to change the post of someone...

Oragami: What should we do if anyone lurks for too long?

Quarantine them for proper removal.
Are you an advocate of Lynching all Lurkers? Do you have experience with this technique working?

Everyone: What are your general thoughts about Gambits?
pfp, combining quotes into one post not possible.

Do you think there are any counters to having data expunged or changed?

Personally, I do not, but it worked OK for the players in the last game I ran...

Gambits are OK in certain situations, but I view every strategy as a whole as a big but small gambit. True gambits, though, are tough to pull off and too risky.

No time for other quotes, finish in 1/2 hour
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 02:22:56 pm »

if (concern_post_changes)
return "You could try PMing yourself.";
rhetorical_question_value = "They can provide a view into the thoughts of one's fellows, can they not?  More evidence upon which one can draw is a good thing.";
return rhetorical_question_value;
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 02:30:22 pm »

Shake, Well, let's see... the mod has said that he won't be outright lying to us, and he's said that there's a standard scumteam (does a cult count as standard? It just seems like it'd make more sense for a virus/anti-virus theme game). So, I'd say that either the scum also have some kind of puzzle they need to solve, in which case it'll probably be more difficult to figure out what's going on, or else they just need to kill off the town, in which case it'll probably be comparatively easier to figure out. This does depend on whether enough information is present in roles to figure out the game mechanics or if more information will be revealed at set points through flavourtext. As a proper answer, I'd imagine they're not too good at the minute but will get better as the game goes on.

I'm mostly indifferent towards rhetorical questions.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 02:48:03 pm »

They are certainly interesting. But can also backfire spectacularly. Which makes them interesting.

Teneb: Which players do you think are most likely going to be the spiders in this game, spinning us all into their web?
NQT, that is probably doing a gambit anyway, just not overtly.

Everyone: Do you think asking a question to "everyone" is a bullshit and lazy tactic and that you refuse to answer such questions as well?
Yes, it is lazy. That said, they should still be answered because lazy does not mean it's not a valid question.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:26:19 pm by Mephansteras »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 04:08:08 pm »

Quarantine Count
notquitethere: Tomasque
TheBiggerFish: Shakerag
Tomasque: notquitethere

Active Cycle 1 ends ~5pm Pacific Tuesday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »

Oh! Quarantine means vote. That makes alot more sense now.

Your computer may be infected by a Virus!!
Slow downs, instability, crashes, even TOTAL AND COMPLETE TAKE OVER! These could all be happening right now!
But don't worry, we can HELP!
Visit our web page to download our Master Anti-Virus Suite RIGHT NOW

Origami, what kind of virus program prints in Comic Sans?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 04:24:48 pm »

Query query = new Query(System.in, "Is quarantine irrevocable?");
Query query = new Query(this.getAllActivePrograms(), "The System appears to have ignored direct queries so far.  Does anyone have an idea on how else we might be able to find win conditions?");
assert(fonts.comic_sans.isCommonlyUsedByReputableAntivirus() == false && useof(get(fonts.comic_sans), getUserProgram(fonts.comic_sans /*returned origamiscienceguy*/)) != is_necessarily_a_virus);
/*asserts that Comic Sans is not normally used by antivirus programs and that it does not necessarily make a program using said font a virus*/
Sigtext

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 04:31:30 pm »

Holy moley, so that's how he'll edit posts. This will be interesting. I haven't received any pm's about it so I am just as clueless as you guys.

They are !fun! if they work. They are even more !fun! when they don't work.

origamiscienceguy: Do you think there are any players who add toxicity to this game such that it will make it harder to play (and figure out the mechanics)?
Everyone: Do you think asking a question to "everyone" is a bullshit and lazy tactic and that you refuse to answer such questions as well?
Jusus, how do you manage to come up with so many different questions? I think that players who are not producing meaningful content will be the main points of toxicity. I am reasonably certain that everyone has different bits of information that could come together to make sense of what is going on. So people who don't provide enough content to reveal their part will hurt the town.

I just can't think of so many questions, but I do try to answer every question addressed to everybody, so I think it is still effective. Also, it gives more of a distinction between players depending on their answers which can be used later on to find members of scum.

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 04:32:58 pm »

assert(logWasModified(posts.getPost(origamiscienceguy, 153327.msg6532495#msg6532495, 1443758197)));

getPost(Author author, String postfix, int timestamp){
     //returns a post with this author, postfix, and timestamp.
     //input should be compatible with the [quote] tag.
     /*...*/
}
Sigtext

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 04:56:22 pm »

Okay, seriously, I don't understand how these questions will help the town at all...

Also:
Holy moley, so that's how he'll edit posts. This will be interesting. I haven't received any pm's about it so I am just as clueless as you guys.
What do you mean by that, did I miss something?

Lastly, Unvote. I'm sorry I just jumped on you there NQT. But once again, what is the exact point of these questions?

Couldn't we have people claim roles, or something?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 05:22:37 pm »

Oh! Quarantine means vote. That makes alot more sense now.

Your computer may be infected by a Virus!!
Slow downs, instability, crashes, even TOTAL AND COMPLETE TAKE OVER! These could all be happening right now!
But don't worry, we can HELP!
Visit our web page to download our Master Anti-Virus Suite RIGHT NOW
Tomasque, this is what one of my older posts looks like now. This is what I was reffering to.

The point of these questions is to get people talking. The more people talking, the easier it is to find scum, usually. Claiming roles right now is probably not a good idea since the scum can just make up anything that sounds computer-e and pas it off as a role. That would just confuse everybody.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2015, 05:26:55 pm »

Jusus, how do you manage to come up with so many different questions?
A quickie before I leave for the day:  There's a theme to my questions.  I made a reference to this in BYOR14 deadchat.

That, and experience.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28