Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: Cuthulu kills everyone  (Read 25317 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: Turn 9 (new mages)
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2015, 10:02:38 pm »

Initiative:

Bull initiative [4]
Avery Protagoniste [4]
Cookies Mcsalsa [4]
Derm [4]
Atrius Tang [1]
Auguste n/a

Run up the stairs, feeling lucky that volcanic glass makes such a great splint.

Will roll [1]
Your run up to the third floor and are greeted by some very interesting darkness. Curious about it, you peer into it and manage to somehow look... beyond it... gaining a glimpse of something...wrong.

"OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!!" You scream as you roll around on the floor in a fetal position.

Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts... Here you are greeted with the sight of a mage hitting himself in the head with a cup, a bull charging off a cliff, a mage tripping on the cup he hit himself in the head with, and a batwinged giant leach. See, happy things! Nothing to be scared about.

Wait, what was that last one again?

:'( Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts... 

First, look for an aspect. I won't kill Avery yet, just voicing my character's thoughts
Not interested in getting rammed by a flaming bull, you immediately begin to run up the stairs. The Bull does not follow you.

Will roll [5]

You go to the third floor and are greeted with some very uncanny darkness. Not interested in pondering this further, you begin to look for more aspects. Immediately, you see two mages holding aspects. One is a muscular guy who looks like he has a grip of steel, the other is just your average mage. You also see one mage just crying in a fetal position but it doesn't look like he has an aspect.

Then you hear the sound of hoofs stomping. You turn around and see that to your horror, the bull actually did follow you upstairs... eventually. The bull begins to charge at you and all you can do is brace yourself for the inevitable...

but it never comes. Instead the bull chooses to go around you.

Surprised by this turn of events, you begin to watch it to see what it does next. The bull continues charging and effortlessly jumps across the gap between the arena and the southern platform. It seems that he's actually interested in attacking Atrius.

Bull to-hit roll [1]
Atrius dodge roll [1]

Atrius trips on his feet and falls on the ground face first allowing the Bull to walk all over him. The Bull doesn't stop walking though and ends up running to the edge of the cliff, phasing through the safety rail and falling into the abyss.

Meanwhile, the other mage begins demonstrating how to perform self harm with cups.

Throw acid at interloper. Ask aspect for a colossal, upside down cup between me and interloper, go for items on platform.

Derm to hit roll [1+1 large acid splash]
Atrius dodge roll [5]

Trying to maximize your chances of hitting Atrius, you throw the acid into the air hoping to give it more time to disperse thereby giving it a bigger splash radius (also increasing the chances of hitting his skull).

This ambitious attack manages to fail spectacularly. By mistake you accidentally ended up throwing the whole cup with it and by some spell of misfortune, the acid managed to stay inside the cup. The cup then flew over his head and fell inside the gap, never to be seen again.

Okay, time for plan B

Pronunciation roll [1]
Understanding roll [4]
"You will feel my wrath soon enough mortal."
You genuinely have no idea what you said to piss off your aspect. Well time time face the consequences.

Aspect d20 [2+6-1 sphere deviation-3 complexity+2 mana build up]

A golden grail falls from the sky and harmlessly bounces off of your head. Huh? That's it?

Understanding roll [6]
"Curses! Foiled by my own incompetence again. You win this time...mortal. "

Now if only you understood what made your aspect angry in the first place.

Still, there's no time to think about this. The muscle mage is about to attack again.

Atrius grab roll [4-1 still doing this with only one hand]
Evasion [6]

This time he fumbled his grab attempt quite a bit, you can see a very obvious opening. Time for plan C.

Counterattack:
Derm to-hit roll [1]
Atrius evasion roll [6]

Excited about the idea of finally giving that freak what he deserves, you fail to notice the cup that you hit yourself in the head with earlier. You promptly slip on it and perform some very painful splits. If your aspect was still watching, he probably would have laughed.

Anyway, having any semblance of courage beaten out of you, you run like a young street magician who just figured out New Franklin's laws and customs. In other words, really fast.

Satisfied with your distance, you begin to look at the loot stashed on this platform. There is a torch on a stick, a pair of gauntlets, a complete set of plate leggings, and a winged lamprey.

Cast the spell! If that fails bear hug Derm.  Crush.  Fight off pangs of hunger for human flesh.
You are about to clarify to your aspect what you meant when suddenly, a flaming bull charges at you. I

Bull to-hit roll [1]
Dodge roll [1]

Immediately you fall on your face in order to avoid the horned onslaught. It seems to work because when you get up, the bull is nowhere to be seen. Now back to dem magics.

Pronunciation roll [6]

"Sorry, Aspect what I meant to say is that I want you to beef up that wizard's right half and throw him off the cliff"

Understanding roll [2]
*Hissss*

aspectd20 [2+6 -4 sphere deviation-4 complexity+3 mana build up]

Nothing seems to happen. Guess it's back to good old fisticuffs.

Atrius grab roll [4-1 still doing this with only one hand]
Derm evasion [6]

You charge the bumbling mage and miss again. This time though, it doesn't seem like he's letting you off the hook.

Counterattack:
Derm to-hit roll [1]
Atrius evasion roll [6]

Derm is moving in, about to punch you when suddenly he slips on that cup he hit himself in the head with earlier. He does some very painful looking splits before getting back up and running away again.

Don't be too hard on yourself, you think. He will receive his comeuppance soon. If not from me, then at least from the giant lamprey.

You stop thinking as you begin to wonder how long that Lamprey has been there.

"Alright, I'll take you with me if you briefly slow down the perception of time of everyone in the halls except for me."

After the Aspect does its thing, make my way towards the exit at a leisurely pace, even if the Aspect fails, any guards would likely assume that I was just part of the audience.

Pronunciation roll [4]
"Ok, I'll take you with me if you make everyone in the halls see time slower except for me."

"Hmm! So you can't even make up your mind. Typical asshole mage. Fine, I'll do it 'Master'"
Understanding roll [5]

What's wrong with this guy, seriously? First he begs for me not to throw him in the pit, and then he insults me for not doing so.

aspectd20 [5+6-1 sphere deviation -2 complexity+6 mana build up]

Anyway you continue walking when unsurprisingly, you encounter a guard. It seems like whatever your aspect did worked. The guard doesn't seem capable of creating any coherent speech and he is very clumsy. He begins to run after you while going for his weapon...

Agility roll [2-2 messed up perception of time]

when he promptly falls over.

You continue on your way, leaving the clumsy guard to his troubles when you finally arrived at the place the sign was pointing to. There is a large wooden double door, and a small wooden single door. You try to open the double door but is seems to be locked. Then you try the single door and tada! It seems to open perfectly. It leads to what looks like a cramped ticket booth with a small chair. The key is probably in one of the drawers. There is also a window and Lo and behold, there are more guards on the other side. This time, they're wielding spears. Thankfully, they're looking the other way.

Now how are you gonna get around this?

Meanwhile on an alcove underneath the fourth floor but on top of the third floor, 3 mages are being held with spears behind their back.

"Now don't try anything," said the leader of the guards. "Your aspect is currently inside your satchel so you are powerless to stop us. If you make any attempt to reach for it, then the guys behind you will stab you in the back and you'll be dead before you even get a chance to fight." After saying these words the guard began staring at the mages, waiting for any sudden movements. Seeing none he continued his speech.

"Now climb down these ropes and take your place in the arena. Don't try anything there either or we will cut those ropes and you will plummet to your deaths."

And with these orders, the mages began to climb down.

The first mage to make it to the bottom, an enigma known only by the name tomato landed on the southeastern side. His aspect was Silence (He actually got maps first but even I have to understand when an aspect will be useless)

The second mage was a man manly enough to wear the colour pink, or at least that's what he keeps telling himself. Most thought he was a freak. This mage, Conein owned an aspect of Monkeys. He landed on the northern side of the arena.

And the final mage Dest Eterna, landed on the eastern side of the arena. His specialization was Trees.

The bell of the announcer rings once again.

"Hello mages.

"If you take the time to look around you, you'll notice that we have some new guests. Due to the fact that only 4 of you were currently present in the arena, and because of the fact that only 2 of you have aspects, I feel like this tournament is becoming a bit boring. You can understand that, right?"
He stretches out the last syllable of right when he says this.

"Of course you understand, you guys are smack dab in the middle of this whole event. So I the benevolent leader that I am, have decided to save you from the horrible death of boredom and provide you with more mages to kill. Remember, I'm doing this for you. Not myself.

"Now you, new mages. You guys are basically canon fodder for the veterans to kill. Good luck.

"One last thing. I will only unlock the fourth floor when three of you guys die. As the man who designed this year's layout I would recommend you guys to hurry up, believe me you do not want to see what happens if you stick around too long. The Winged Cave Crawlers are only a small taste of what's to come.

"Tip: They're attracted to fear. You with the handsome voice, stop crying like a baby and man up!

"Now who here wants to see some blood?"

"YEAH"  "MORE BLOOD"
"I wanna stab one of them and use their intestines like a scarf"
"WOOHOO"
"Praise the Church"

"Blood for the Bloo-"
*smack*

*GASP.............*

"Whoops, sorry about that. Someone was chanting praises to some sort of blood god so the Bishop sent a Purifier to kill him. Don't worry, the threat has been dealt with now. Once the Marathon of Magical Murder is over, we'll send some clergy to investigate this cult of the blood god and see if there are any more members. New Franklin, despite all of it's blessings has always had a cult problem. These things are freaking everywhere."

Auguste Vernier, your sphere is as bright as it was earlier.

Derm, your sphere begins to glow ever-so slightly more than usual

Atrius, your sphere is still glowing ever-so brighter than usual.

Spoiler: The Arena (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

I am not spoiling the GM note this time. I would just like to remind you guys that when you're casting a spell, don't forget to write down the exact words your character says. This has a very strong impact on how I interpret bad pronunciation rolls. (with the right phrasing, you can succeed on a 3 or minimize the consequences of a 1). If you want names, I'm pointing at Derm and Slayer (Atrius). Atrius forgot to give words on his second casting.

Also, I'll be experimenting with making complexity penalties harsher. Seeing people roll 10s and still having them succeed on getting Uberstrength makes me think that something is wrong with my system.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:08:09 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: Turn 9 (New Mages)
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2015, 10:24:10 pm »

This whole comprehension/pronunciation thing is unnecessarily complex and I won't take part in enabling it.

Also mostly because screw dialogue.

Large cup made of the heaviest stuff you got! Generate it over my opponents head! Equip all armor, grab torch, burn Atrius with torch.

Also throw lamprey at Atrius. Make sure I got the gloves on first though.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:57 pm »

((TREESSSSS.))
"Summon a tree above someone. You choose."
Run to conein.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:19:33 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2015, 10:43:53 pm »

"I can think of a few maps not useless. Hey magic sphere thing hello it you are nice. Silence the Derm words Derm speaks not tomato though for a long time thank you a lot."

Roll to the left and a bit up.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2015, 11:44:37 pm »

Atrius says to his aspect "Oh, don't hiss at me!  I need you to work with me.  Come back when you are in a better mood."  He puts the aspect in his bag and goes after Derm.  Get in the way of Derm equipping the armor, try to break his arm holding the aspect.

conein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2015, 03:07:14 am »

Conein looks around himself and sees that he is pretty much ded

"Aspect... summon a giant monkey to protect me, it would be beautiful! "

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2015, 06:00:00 am »

((Actually, i didn't decide what to do with you yet. Just be warned through: My mind might m-wait, change.))
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2015, 02:19:14 am »

((Maps... would be WAY overpowered, I think.))
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2015, 10:41:19 am »

((Maps... would be WAY overpowered, I think.))
Well, I wouldn't say overpowered, but you could map peoples' minds to predict their actions and scry on areas in detail. You might be able to say that you know the scried location well enough to remotely cast spells at people inside of the map's area. It could be powerful, but it is mostly a utility power, and requires and offensive power to be truly effective.

Also, sigged.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:51 am »

Interesting!  Throw me on the waitlist, please!

Name: Thrakor
Color: Northern Green
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2015, 11:02:18 am »

Well... Take Atrius' aspect for myself
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2015, 01:18:44 pm »

Is their a specific method you want to try or are you just going to grab it? Also, are you really going to attempt to jump the gap?

Also, waiting on HiddenleafGuy(Avery)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:30:37 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2015, 01:30:19 pm »

Recover from the horror I have just witnessed, then run towards and tackle the nearest mage, attempting to grab their aspect as I do so.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2015, 01:27:01 am »

((What if you used map magic to change the map?  That could be extremely powerful.))
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2015, 07:37:56 am »

((Volatile-minded, dice-controlled(the one who choose to attack/help randomly, chosen by his own dice) player... forget about mind-mapping, that guy is almost unpredictable.))
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:39:33 am by H4zardZ1 »
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13