Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: Cuthulu kills everyone  (Read 25646 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magicians Marathon of Magical Murder: Turn 8 (The birth of a rivalry)
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2015, 09:17:05 am »

Initiative:

Avery Protagoniste [6]
Atrius Tang [4]
Derm [3]
Cookies Mcsalsa [3]
Auguste n/a

Do a jump run across the lava, heading over, then through the shortest distance to safe ground, then begin running to the nearest stairs.

Strength roll [5]

Seeing that now is a do-or-die moment you prepare a running start in order to jump over the lava as much as humanly possible. Of course jumping over the lava itself is impossible as far as humans are concerned but you can at least shorten the distance you need to run. You get some good distance and now you only need to run the final stretch.

Endurance roll [6-2 It's freaking lava]

You bite your tongue and ignore the pain running on lava usually entails. By the time you reach the stairs you lose all feeling in your feet. Guess the nerves were fried or something like that.

When you look down to check (you know in order to make sure they're okay and all) you notice that they got covered in an obsidian coating. You assume that this protected them from the worst the lava had to offer. As a matter of fact, you believe that this coating is the only reason why you are still able to stand after losing control of your Achilles tendon and other important bits. Don't expect them to protect you from lava again though, you were just VERY lucky.

Atrius:Go up the stairs again to the third floor.  Go clockwise (opposite the direction of the bridge) until I reach the rotating bridge.  Try to stop anyone trying to get across (Probably Derm at the moment?).  Grab and punch into submission, rather than knocking them away.

(Or partial action if it's too much for one action)

You turn away from the bright light and begin to climb upstairs.

(Normally, you would strike first due to higher initiative but since you are far away from your target you will have to roll to compare speed.)

Derm speed [4-1 initiative gap]
Your speed [5-1 distance penalty]

You arrive and see the magnificent third floor, but it doesn't matter. You have a mission, to kill mages. And you just have happen to find one trying to run to the rotating platform. From the moment you layed eyes on him, you felt a connection, as if you two were destined to fight each other, doomed to be rivals for all eternity. You can't let him go, he must not escape.

So you decide to take a short-cut.

*ZOOM*

With your superhuman strength, you jump up high in the air and land right next to you target. The platform cracks with the power of your might. You could have killed him right there if you wanted to, but you won't repeat the same mistake you made with the previous mage. You need to secure his aspect.

Atrius grab roll [6-1 one handed penalty]
Derm Evasion [5]

You put your left arm forward first hoping to grab him, but then you stop when you realize your mistake. Your left arm is holding your aspect. Unless you want to drop it you aren't grabbing him with that one. By the time you switch to your right arm he had already fled beyond your grasp.

Maybe it would have been better if you just killed him earlier.

"Unless you want me to cast some sort of spell, you should probably put me in your satchel. You would have got him if you weren't carrying me"
understanding roll [5]

You know, that comment is very out of character for most aspects. They hate the sensory deprivation caused by the loss of physical contact. Usually, they would only recommend something like that in life-threatening situations. But you are Atrius Tang; Muscle Mage Extraordinaire! How can you possibly be in a life-threatening situation?

As you finish your thought you hear a loud shriek...

run to the rotating platform, and get access to whatever platform I can after.

Also check self for mystery magic powers I may have absorbed without my notice earlier

You dash South West trying to intercept the rotating platform before it reached the bridge. You had just made it when suddenly you saw Him.

He was flying through the air. At first didn't mind but it then became increasingly apparent that he was straight flying towards you. At the realization of your new danger, you became incredibly nervous since your platform had not arrived at the southern bridge yet.

Then he landed. There was a loud boom and the ground cracked beneath his feet. While recovering from the shock you began to size up your opponent. He was larger than any man you had ever seen and his entire body was covered in thick muscle. You then saw the aspect in his hand. Based on the symbol engraved on it, you determined that it was an aspect of might.

Normally you would snark about how muscle magic isn't real magic, but even you have to admit that you might be f***ed.

Suddenly he thrust his left arm at you. By the time you noticed it was already too late, there was no way you would be able to dodge his attack, but suddenly he stopped. Not interested in pondering why you immediately began to run. Thankfully the platform just arrived at the bridge so you didn't run off of a cliff. Unfortunately, he managed to follow you across.

Time to prepare for round two. This time you've regained your bearings, he won't catch you off guard again.

will roll [4]

Your concentration is momentarily broken by the sound of a high pitched shriek.

Run to the next floor, then find yet another aspect.

Seeing that the bottom floor is about to be covered in lava you decide to run upstairs, maybe find another aspect. And look at that! There's one conveniently on the floor right next to a mage staring at a sign. Ooh Gimme...

Speed Roll [1]

Suddenly, the sphere seems to gain a mind of it's own and begins rolling towards the stairs. You tried to run up to it and catch it but you couldn't make it in time. All you could do is watch in horror as the aspect falls into the lava... AGAIN!!!

This time, rather than a red flame, a brown bull the size of a German Shepard emerges from the lava instead. It's also made of flames. The mage just keeps staring at the sign, not noticing the bull at all.

The bull stares at you menacingly.

"Well, it doesn't look like he's going to live, I did what I could. Aspect, it was nice being with you, but I have ultimately decided to give up on my sorcerous ways, I wish you good luck in the world, and bid you good day."

Toss the aspect into the arena and search for a way to leave.

Pronunciation roll [1]
"Well, it doesn't look like he's going to live, it's all your fault. Aspect, it was a miserable time being with you and with this latest failure, I've decided that you've outlived your uselessness. I will not be using you for magic ever again. Good bye."

Understanding roll [1]
"Please, no!! Don't do this too me. I don't want to leave you yet."

Well, it would be cruel and after saving your life, maybe you should keep him around a bit longer. You owe him after all.

After deciding to keep your aspect, you leave the dead guard corpse completely unlooted and go through the vomitorium to your right. You don't find the exit but you do find a sign that points in the direction of the exit, how convenient.

Awareness roll [6]

You hear the footsteps of one guard walking in your direction and the footstep of one guard walking away from your direction. Just walking though, not running which probably means that they don't know that you're here.

Auguste Vernier, your sphere continues to glow brighter.

Derm, your sphere is still in it's original state.

Atrius, your sphere is now ever-so brighter than usual.

The lava has completely coated the first floor. It the begins to flow into the chasm. Guess no more changes to lava now.

Spoiler: The Arena (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2015, 09:53:43 am »

Can aspects cast magic without being told to by their owner? Can they detach themselves of their own free will?

If the answer to the first question is yes, say to the aspect of time:

"Wow. That was harsh. Y'know, I wouldn't do that if I was your symbiote. It's too bad I'm dead, though. Say, couldn't you rewind my personal time to the point where I'm not dead? Then you and I could escape this place together."
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2015, 06:10:13 pm »

Throw acid at interloper. Ask aspect for a colossal, upside down cup between me and interloper, go for items on platform.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2015, 12:04:37 pm »

"Unless you want me to cast some sort of spell, you should probably put me in your satchel. You would have got him if you weren't carrying me"
Atrius looked at the aspect in his hand and spoke back with a serious tone.  "I couldn't do that to you.  If I was in your position, I wouldn't want to be senseless.  I trust you, and I would rather have you by my side.  Heh... or in my hand, as the case may be."

Now he turns his gaze to Derm and asks his aspect, "Do you think you could beef up that wizard's right hand and foot, to throw him off balance?"

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2015, 12:20:22 pm »

Pronunciation roll [6]
"I couldn't do that to you.  If I was in your position, I wouldn't want to be senseless.  I trust you, and I would rather have you by my side.  Heh... or in my hand, as the case may be."

Understanding roll  [3]
"If that's how you fee-"
"Do you think the wizard's right hand and foot would make a good beef sandwich? I need to keep my diet balanced."
Pronunciation roll [3]

You aspect doesn't even reply to that. You feel like he's just staring at you in shock.

((And that's all your advice for this turn, talking isn't a free action))

Derm understanding roll [2]

Mercifully, you do not hear about Atrius' cannibalistic tendencies.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:17:32 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2015, 03:27:45 pm »

"Do you think the wizard's right hand and foot would make a good beef sandwich? I need to keep my diet balanced."
(mmm... handburger)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2015, 04:38:37 pm »

Great, ANOTHER thing wanting to kill me! Seriously, that aspect has harmed me more than its harmed anything else. I'm useless without an aspect anyway, so time to search for another, and kill that Avery guy.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »

What's your method of killing Avery? Just punching into submission while you only have one arm?

EDIT: Feel free to PM

EDIT2: Waiting for Avery to post an action. Also waiting on Atrius to post an action as well. All he did was ask for information
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:11:40 pm by heydude6 »

Hiddenleafguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2015, 05:37:38 pm »

Run up the stairs, feeling lucky that volcanic glass makes such a great splint.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2015, 06:36:46 pm »

First, look for an aspect. I won't kill Avery yet, just voicing my character's thoughts
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:12 pm »

What's your method of killing Avery? Just punching into submission while you only have one arm?

EDIT: Feel free to PM

EDIT2: Waiting for Avery to post an action. Also waiting on Atrius to post an action as well. All he did was ask for information
Oh, I didn't realize.  I thought that talking to the aspect and asking it to cast magicks WAS my turn.  Even though it failed to realize my intentions.  In that case.

Bear hug Derm.  Crush.  Fight off pangs of hunger for human flesh. Cast the spell!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:03:29 am by Slayer1557 »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2015, 11:45:48 pm »

To be fair, I didn't know you were actually trying to cast a spell. I thought you were just asking if you could actually use logic like that to burden someone. It was definitely not something I would have ever expected.

You can still try to cast a spell if you want. I don't feel I should penalize mages for asking their aspects for a reality check. There are no hard coded rules about how much you can talk to your aspect, but as a human being I will try to stop anything that feels a little cheaty.  One specific example is that I frown on attempts to reroll pronounciation rolls in a single turn.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2015, 12:02:17 am »

Ok, its just that it seemed like we didn't cast any magic at all, it was the aspect.  Thus, if you wanted to cast something, you ask the aspect really nicely. :P

In the interest of staying consistent.  Yes, I still want to cast the thing.  I'm trying really hard to be creative with the aspect of might.  It's... rather difficult.  I could just go hulk on everyone, but that's no fun.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2015, 12:39:49 am »

Yeah, pure physical might is a boring domain, but I try looking for symbolic might. Sure you'll gain a sphere deviation penalty but you may surprise yourself with what you can come up with. In the beggining when I said that there was a preference for physical might, it was mostly to tell you what the "baseline" is, how not to get any sphere deviation penalties.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 03, 2015, 04:01:09 am »

Yea, I have some ideas, but I wanted to take it one baby step at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13