Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 135

Author Topic: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1935 Production  (Read 97278 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race, Moskurg: 1920 Design
« Reply #495 on: July 30, 2015, 09:00:00 am »

Again, I'd advise against selling anything to the soviets given that, again, they are dirty foreign arstotzkans using horrid metric system.

And the names for the aircraft are good, though I'd again advise that we need to revise the treads for our tanks. We get that done, and we can kick the Arstotzkans back onto the plains and possibly back into the cursed tundra where they came from.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 30, 2015, 09:14:13 am »

Personally, I want to get both credits, so my suggestion for the pistol is to use the revision phase to shrink the smg down to a machine pistol

In addition to getting us that credit it should hopefully make the smg no longer expensive (or give us an equivalent that isn't expensive)

((this should be easy. Worse case scenario, just shorten the barrel and replace the drum with a clip))

Ideally I'd want it to be able to accept both a drum magazine and the smaller more concealable clip, and also have it possible to screw on the barrel. Meaning that if you want, you can go to the bathroom and assemble a full smg and then go an a rampage.

Anyway, if you guys want to, we can just give the Russians our five shooter design since it's superior than Arztotskan pistol design

Thing is, I'm not that interested in revising the radio. Our planes can carry it just fine and I would rather revise our tank to make it able to fit a radio rather than revise a radio so it could fit a tank.

I'd again advise that we need to revise the treads for our tanks. We get that done, and we can kick the Arstotzkans back onto the plains and possibly back into the cursed tundra where they came from.
Why Revise just the treads? With our Revision phase we can give it better Armour, we can give it an integrated radio, we can give it a better gun, AND we can fix its treads.

+1 to revising tank

+1 to selling our revised tank and our 5-shooter to the Russians

((we don't need to design a sidearm for the contest, our default is superior))

EDIT: Another thing we can do is Revise our bombardier. If we do that, we will fix our artillery problems and also improve the guns of both the SPAT and the Smasher
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:19:24 am by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 30, 2015, 09:21:23 am »

Also the Russians want a tank, not a pistol or something, and given the current plans to align with the allies (AKA the greatest non-moskurg nations on earth due to glorious imperial system)

And we'd need to invent a better gun before we can mount it on a tank. I was thinking of revising the engine and treads though.

All for sending either the five-shooter or the sawn-off to gain the one credit though.Slap that on our tanks and Arstotzka will weep. Slap it onto the brumby and the same thing'll happen.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 30, 2015, 09:25:23 am »

Again, I'd advise against selling anything to the soviets given that, again, they are dirty foreign arstotzkans using horrid metric system.

And the names for the aircraft are good, though I'd again advise that we need to revise the treads for our tanks. We get that done, and we can kick the Arstotzkans back onto the plains and possibly back into the cursed tundra where they came from.
No. We have a resource rather than technology problem on the plains. We clearly need to either deploy cheaper anti-tank or get more ore to make our tanks cheaper.

If we want a mass deployable anti-tank weapon:
Or if you want a more useful, better tank gun:

We can then work on the radio later, and use the next revision / design for a more practical fighter /w radio.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:32:24 am by evilcherry »

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:10 am »

Also the Russians want a tank, not a pistol or something, and given the current plans to align with the allies (AKA the greatest non-moskurg nations on earth due to glorious imperial system)

And we'd need to invent a better gun before we can mount it on a tank. I was thinking of revising the engine and treads though.

All for sending either the five-shooter or the sawn-off to gain the one credit though.Slap that on our tanks and Arstotzka will weep. Slap it onto the brumby and the same thing'll happen.
Slap it on artillery and Arstotzka will bleed.

Uh, anyway, work. Send the Smasher to the soviets, and the Five-shooter to the other guys. Expense credits are amazing. We put a few of these on our artillery, and a few on machine-guns or something, and the Arstotzkans will die in droves.

Revise the radio, try to finally make it more portable so we can actually coordinate our troops.

((I'm not sure whether I want to design the Model 2, or design the tank buster and build a better fighter next turn that has a smaller radio. Somebody persuade me.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2015, 09:36:31 am »

We don't need a large AT weapon right now given the armour values involved.

And we do have a technology problem on the plains, that being the unreliable treads being our armour's undoing there, as a quite from the battle report says:

In the desert/planes boundary, the fighting is intense. Arstotzkan planes launch from a near airstrip and are closely involved in the defense of the plains. Their anti-armor effect is significant, and can stop T1 Smashers in their tracks. Ground forces in general have a difficult time aiming at airplanes, and are not a significant cause of air casualties. New ammunition employed by the Moskurg army is effective at killing entrenched troops and the smoke rounds provide cover for charging soldiers, though the sheer number of Arstotzkan rapid-fire weapons can't be adequately covered by SPATs (which Moskurg soldiers have taken to calling Self Propelled Artillery). Accurate artillery support is provided by Moskurg scout aircraft, but still T1 Smashers don't often arrive at Arstotzkan trenches. When they do, they are prone getting stuck in the trenches with tread failures- when this happens, Arstotzkan soldiers will climb the tank, wait for the top hatch to open, and blindly spray an SMG inside. Moskurg can bring the fight to the trenches, but they can't sustain an armored push and artillery marching without armor support is ultimately killed by overwhelming machine gun fire, despite the advantages of accurate artillery. Arstotzka holds the fields (A 4/4)

Bold being the emphasis on what's bogging us down.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2015, 12:54:34 pm »

I say composite armor for our design. It's more voluminous than any other kind of armor, but is less heavy and provides more protection pound for pound than any other kind of armor. That should let us uparmor everything in our ground arsenal so our T1s can't be destroyed by planes and ground autocannons. It will also make the Struunk and SPAT immune to rifle rounds, which is a boon.

Then we should use the revision to fix our treads.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:56:53 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:55 pm »

There's a bit of a problem with that. Namely we don't actually know any composites, and we don't actually have the capacity to actually manufacture any that would be better than just plain RHA. Especially given that we're trying to attempt something that was attempted my a much more powerful state atleast three decades later of that proposal.

I will say this now though we cannot afford any more vanity projects at the moment. We may have Arstotzka on the back leg but that doesn't mean we should let up. Right now, the oil we have is our strength and if we cut the Arstotzkan supply down we'll have won the air war. This means that we MUST drive them back from the plains at all costs. The radio we have, while can be better, is practical for the moment. We can revise the design after we've cut the oil supply of Arstotzka.

That being said, I think we can be a little more ambitious of our redesign of the Smasher to use only a single engine as well.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2015, 02:15:42 pm »

I'm not sure whether this would be more suitable as a design or a revision project:

Spaced armour mods for our vehicles. This will mainly reduce penetration from solid rounds, as rifle bullets will get deformed/tumble after penetrating the first layer. This should also be quite smoke to design and use barely any resources. Hopefully this should mean only artillery and tank rounds should have an effect.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:41 pm »

Mmrgh.  Okay, you've convinced me.

Design the Model 2 Hornet, revise the tank treads.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2015, 03:23:45 pm »

Design the Model 2 Hornet, revise the tank treads.
+1, but I think we should add optional under-wing bomb racks. Bombs being converted artillery shells. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:26:46 pm by Playergamer »
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2015, 03:34:12 pm »

Revising the treads as opposed to the tank itself means it boosts all our treaded vehicles, inlcluding the scout car, and anything else we put on treads in the future.  (artillery carriage?)  (the next tank?) (Half-tracks for semi-motarized infantry?)

I really think we should come up with something useful in the jungle for the design phase.  If Arstotzka comes up with something useful there, we don't gain ground.  If we do, and they do, we gain ground.  If we do, and they don't, we take them.

I'm tempted to push grenades so we can have under-wing cluster-bombs, but the opinion on nades has been made clear.  ;-)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:38:57 pm by Devastator »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 30, 2015, 04:22:15 pm »

When you revise equipment, new tech can apply retroactively to other equipment. You don't need to revise tech on its own.

I'm not sure where the total votes are so far. I'm on mobile, I'll probably have to tally it up at home.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 30, 2015, 04:30:09 pm »

Speaking of Votes, I'd like to remind people we're in the design phase, not the revision phase, so please don't vote to use up our design phase revising stuff instead of designing stuff when we're about to have a revision phase next.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 30, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »

Alright, if improving the Smasher means giving it both a better engine and bettering our treads, let's do it.

Also, we don't have much in the way of actually mounting stuff onto the wings, those things are only wood and canvas. As fir grenades, they're good, but a little situational. A better aircraft or a proper AT cannon would be better served for us at this stage, since we don't need to completely take the jungle just yet, but rather eliminate the oil they get from the plains. We do that and we have uncontestable air superiority.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 135