Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: The Great Game of the Gods (A twice daily forum game) New players welcome  (Read 15898 times)

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile

Vornfar turn 2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vornfar's Actions without fluff

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

I was really tired last night and there is some confusion of the state of life. Here's where things were muddled. Everyone else counted bacteria within the "grass"/ base category. That would mean that seaweed and coral would be on the next level up and would cost more. Probably 1.5 or so. Corals are highly specialized and various creatures, some are even predators (I just checked Wikipedia to determine their complexity levels). From that point on, I'm not sure how I got those numbers. I was quite tired after a long day yesterday and I got some things confused (shout out to Vornfar). So I'm make a tier of creation for a general reference:

Water Tiers:                                                                          Land Tiers:
Bacteria/plankton                                                                  Bacteria/tiny primal plants
Water plants                                                                         Small land plants
Herbivores (Cost can vary widely)                                          Large land plants
Predators (Varying Costs)                                                      Herbivores (Cost can vary widely)                                       
                                                                                            Predators (Varying Costs) 

Sky is cool and new and something I never considered. Its probably similar to the water tier, but these are just a general guide and not all layers need to be present if you can regale us with a good explanation of why that level isn't needed and how your system works.

If you want your creations to have special powers (shoot lightning, venomous, anything) that should cost more than a mundane version.

After being persuaded by Demonic Spoon, I redact my ban on creatures who use mana to survive. Low tier creatures can survive off mana if there is not a better alternative or you can provide a good story. A high tiered being would have a seriously hard time finding enough mana to eat however. Please create systems. These systems don't have to be biological in nature either (for example you could replace plants with magic crystals and them serve the same purpose and function identically.) As long as everything is balanced and explained in a creative way then you can do it.

(Just so you guys know, the exact power of DP is something I'm trying to figure out. It's like a currency, but we have nothing to relate the currency to yet. So some people will spend more than others on the same thing. Price setting is a difficult thing to figure out. As we spend more we'll come to a general conclusion on exactly how much DP is worth.)

I'm going to post a fixed stat page here in a few minutes.

EDIT: We have a DP economy here. Economies are hard, and are broken easily. Please by considerate and patient as we work through this first stage of price setting. It will get better.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:38:20 am by Spiderking50 »
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

The Lady of the Sun basked in the light from above, reveling in it's heat and light, as the first life spread through the oceans. She stepped on the shore again, as the waves rolled onto land, and the surface of the seas caught fire once more. This time, the creatures they left were larger, more adept, though still miniscule.

And then she danced off the surface of the sand, and found herself on barren rock, and it was greatly saddening. The dance slowed, the frenzied beat of the Sun subdued in this place. Sollia considered what was and what could be, and how to make the one into the other. And then she decided.

And the earth itself was set ablaze, and was burnt across it's surface, leaving nourishing ash and warmth to nurture the newborn life, left in it's wake. Tiny fungi, tiny plants, bacteria...the earth would hear the Sun beating down on them, with all it's tiny creatures.

And the Sundancer continued her dance along the coast.

Move to Land Region 13

Create Phytoplankton and Zooplankton
Create Land-based bacteria, primarily aerobic
Create Lichen and Moss
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

West ocean: some plant life
Eat ocean: some plant life
North ocean: some plant life

Name: The Blind Worm, the Devouring Maw
Stats: 7 DP, 0WP, 11 IP
I was really tired last night and there is some confusion of the state of life. Here's where things were muddled. Everyone else counted bacteria within the "grass"/ base category. That would mean that seaweed and coral would be on the next level up and would cost more. Probably 1.5 or so. Corals are highly specialized and various creatures, some are even predators (I just checked Wikipedia to determine their complexity levels). From that point on, I'm not sure how I got those numbers. I was quite tired after a long day yesterday and I got some things confused (shout out to Vornfar). So I'm make a tier of creation for a general reference:

Water Tiers:                                                                          Land Tiers:
Bacteria/plankton                                                                  Bacteria/tiny primal plants
Water plants                                                                         Small land plants
Herbivores (Cost can vary widely)                                          Large land plants
Predators (Varying Costs)                                                      Herbivores (Cost can vary widely)                                       
I'm even more confused now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:05:01 am by Demonic Spoon »

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

I'm going to post a fixed stat page here in a few minutes.

That one is also wrong. I'm still typing up everyone's actions. Please be patient, I'm typing up everyone in one post.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

State of the world: (Soon I'm going to do this by region, but haven't typed it up yet. Disregard until then.)
Land: barren
Lake: simple plant life
West ocean: bacteria
Eat ocean: barren
North ocean: barren
Sky: bacteria

Stats:

Stats: 10 DP, 0WP, 12 IP
(I refunded your actions now that we are a little more clear on how life needs to get started. Feel free to count any action as part of turn one or turn two, but at this point in the game then it shouldn't make a huge difference.)

Name: Valvatorez
Stats:  7 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

And thus Valvatorez made a deal with himself not to be lonely. His snow children, built by his hands and snow, came to life. Being made of snow they existed without biological functions, but cannot make more of themselves. They are fragile but won't die unless they give up the will to live or their body is completely destroyed. (3 DP = 5 for a small construct -2 for not being able to reproduce). (Not living, so no moon bonus)

Name: Arim
Stats: 7 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

Arim was surprised at the tenacity of his new creations. Arim had poured so much power into these tiny bodies that they spread almost instantly across the world. All regions have sky bacteria. They existed on clouds and electricity meaning that they would be undeterred by the day/night cycle. They are an excellent food base as they are high in energy. (I never considered direct sky life so didn't make it into regions, so I'm just going to treat it as 2 (north and south) regions that are above the other regions)

Name: Toras
Stats: 4 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

Your grasses and shrubs are little more than sticks and brown tufts, yet they life. They eek out at life in the world but the soil lacks the building blocks of life. They would benefit greatly from some bacteria.(-2 for simple plant +2 for moon = free)

Your forge trees stand tall in their first grove. Their creation took more out of you than expected. (-2 for complex plant + -1 for durability + -1 for being able to survive harsh terain+ -2 for metal gathering = -6 DP)

You find yourself tired. Do you dip into your life force to continue creation?

Vornfar
Stats: 8 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

You create life in the giant lake. It flourishes well, but is otherwise unremarkable. (-1 for bacteria base, -1.5 for corals, -1.5 for sea lake weed +2 for moon bonus = -2 DP

You know the general direction of all of the other gods, as they all know yours. However, most are occupied by their own endeavors to care about each other. You know however that you may not strike another god directly.

Sollia

Your fire burns across the land and gives rise to tiny beings. They bask in your warmth. (- 1 for photoplankton and zooplankton, -.5 for land bacteria, -1.5 for lichen and moss + for moon bonus = -2 DP
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:32:14 am by Spiderking50 »

TheLordofHouseRiley

• Bay Watcher
  • Cutting down the enemies of the emperor
    • View Profile

Vornfar Turn 3

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

Sullag
You have been falling for as long as you can remember. You plummet and plummet and there seems to be no end at all. You cannot tell which way you are falling, everything seems like down to you. You closed your eyes long ago. You open them now and find that your falling has stopped. You are standing on a barren island, a mainland is in sight. (Region 21)

Stats: 5 DP, 0WP, 10 IP
Special: Flier (you may fly over regions undeterred by land obstacles), Patron (Your worshipers will mostly be bird-like.), Hated by the narrator (I'm deadly allergic to birds, treated equally (I may hate birds, but I'm not biased, just making jokes.)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

Vornfar Turn 3

Vornfar, we're still on turn two. Want me to just count that action automattically when turn 3 happens?

EDIT: I'll post an end of turn 2 page when its over in about 2 hours ( plus or minus half an hour).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:06:59 pm by Spiderking50 »

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah, I'll use the Ichor

EDIT: And use the remaining point to create the microorganisms necessary for basic life
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:18:40 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

I carry out my actions during turn two for the moon bonus.

The Blind Worm shuddered in great ripples as it felt the touch of another upon the waters around it, simple life springing into existence. The mere existence of a mind separate from its own set it into a frenzied rage. The concept of other was not something which could be allowed to exist. All along his length his skin convulsed and cracked, the new extensions of his self emerging forth from his body to carry his will where he could not reach himself.

Create the Integrators in Sea Region 1 (assuming that's where all the plankton is. If not, put them wherever the plankton is), titanic aquatic hybrids of whales and cephalopods. Filter feeders, their diet consists solely of plankton. They are as intelligent as humans and the race I choose to form my hivemind with. Each Integrators is a single cog in the great machine of the hivemind, working together for the greater good of all. Their whalesong is particularly enchanting, forming together into great choirs of perfectly harmonized singing, as only creatures who share a single mind can. They can even lace their song with mental power, incapacitating nearby creatures or inspiring certain emotions in them, such as fear, awe or joy or a siren's song that might even tempt sailors to jump overboard into the sea. They can breathe both water and air (like whales, with a blowhole).

However, their greatest gifts, and the reason for their name, is their mental powers. They can telepathically communicate with any creatures or people within a hundred metres, speaking with them on a more profound level than mere words, directly sending and receiving concepts into their minds. Though what concepts animals can understand are usually limited to fear, hunger and such. And the most potent tool in their arsenal, is the mind-melding ability of their tentacles. Any creature they touch with their tentacles has its mind joined into that of the hivemind. If only touched for a few seconds, then the melding will only persist for a few minutes. If touched for a few minutes then a few days. If the creature remains within the grip of the tentacles for a full hour they become permanently incorporated into the Hivemind.

At least, that's the baseline. It is possible for sufficiently powerful creatures, such as gods, to resist the melding from a single tentacle, preventing the melding, shortening its duration or making it take longer for a permanent integration to happen, but Integrators can use more and more tentacles on a single target, and multiple integrators can all combine their might, all touching the target with their tentacles. When they numbers grow great enough, perhaps gigantic swarms of Integrators may even be able to permanently join a god into the hivemind.

If needed, use up to an additional 4 Ichor in addition to my DP to create the Integrators.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 12:51:44 pm by Demonic Spoon »

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile

(Why do I have flier? I'm a giant chicken)

Create a bacterial ecosystem and if I can,create grass. My birds must have food for when they are created!
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

Due to an unforseen change in my plans for today, turn two will likely end somewhere around mid afternoon (2-4, i really don't know). Turn three will therefore likely end between 10 and 12.

At both of these times I will write up all of the world changes enacted by gods and also the changes in the celestial map (I actually have a map and system, however, unless you figure it out on your own, you will never know it exactly.) These posts will mark the ends of turns.

Special Announcement:

If you want to do something without the other gods knowing, send me a PM (Incurs a DP cost based on what you're doing and whatnot).

@DAPARROT: PM with some suggestions. I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of cool things for giant chicken god...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Move from region 12 to region 11 and then region 10 (Great Lake)

Aris flew over the great lake and noticed how another god created a new life. Stationary life in form of weeds and corals. This will not do. Life must move, life should not look like stones. Immobile life must be destroyed.

Create fishes that feed on weed and corals. Created to counter Vornfar's action their flesh is poisonous for his creations and followers

Satisfied with with his creation his mind returned to populating skies with new kind of creatures. Something that is very close to him in appearance.

Create fast-flying migratory insects called Arismits. They feed on "lightning" bacteria. They have a fixed two week long lifecycle. When it comes to the end then whole colonies of Arismits lay eggs in the clouds and then fall to the ground lifeless. They should be a major source of nutrients for the whole world
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile

End of Turn 2

State of the world: (Soon I'm going to do this by region, but haven't typed it up yet. Disregard until then. If you want to help with this, PM your nonfluff action to me with a region number included)

Stats:

Stats: 6 DP, 1 WP, 9 IP

You body convulsed and from your flesh the first intelligent creatures of the world. These whale-cephalopods spread your eternal song through the water. They immediately begin feeding on the Sundancer's tiny creations. They are truly great and powerful creatures. For now there are only a few of them, but soon their numbers will grow.
(Complex race -8, giant -2, hivemind -0, -enchanting song -3, permanent mental integration -5, multiple breathing stystems -2, moon bonus +2 = 18.) (Ten powerful followers were created.)

Name: Valvatorez
Stats:  12 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

No change since the fixing post.

Name: Arim

Arim takes the first action directly against another god. He creates tiny poisonous fish that quickly dark through the weeds. (simple animal -3 poisonous -2 moon bonus +2 = -3 DP)

Arim also fills the sky with the first insectoids. They are small migratory insects that feed on lightning bacteria. (-3 insects, +1 for short lifespan =-2 DP)

Name: Toras
Stats: 5 DP, 0 WP, 9 IP

Your creatures shine beneath the sun. Their clicks and sounds of clockwork should bring you great joy. Clockwork life has begun. Oh and there is bacteria there now as well. It might be clockwork too. Soon everything will be clockwork.

Vornfar
Stats: 13 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

No change since the fixing page. (Still no answer on your too early turn three move however.

Sollia
Stats: 12 DP, 0 WP, 10 IP

No change since fixing post.

Sullag
Stats: 9 DP, 0WP, 10 IP

You pepper the small islands with grass and microbial life. (-1 for micro and -2 for grasses +2 for the moon = -1.)

These numbers include your points for next turn.

Champions can be appointed using worship points. Their willingness will vary depending on the points put in. (1 point will not be very inclined to die for your cause, but 15 would be a zealot who'd destroy the world for you.) Champions can do anything and don't necessarily need to be combat oriented. They are simply guided NPC's.

Beginning of Turn 3
The green moon has faded away across the horizon. A yellowy moon takes its place. Violent storms begin forming over regions L4, 14, 15, L3, and W2 and 9.5 (the mysteriously unnumbered one.) You feel as if these storms are unnatural and should be avoided. Be wary of these areas. (L = land, W = water)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 08:41:55 pm by Spiderking50 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14