Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Empires in the year 2030: Turn 1  (Read 5907 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Empires in the year 2030: Nation Generation (0/6)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 01:10:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:22:40 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:09 am »

Personally I'm expecting biological mind enhancements to come before we get a self improving AI.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: New Empire Building Game (0/6)
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 04:06:52 am »

......................................can swords still be a viable weapon?
Scientifically speaking, early spaceships will be fighting at a distance of at most about ten kilometers. Making boarding actions feasible. And due to the thinness of initial hulls and the relatively low speeds, it'll be possible to use boarding pods. The thinness of hulls will make bullets a bad idea as well. And the close quarters will make melee much more viable.
What?

How did you come to that conclusion. Scientifically speaking, both early and advanced spaceships will fight at extremely long ranges, probably closer to being measured in lightseconds than kilometers. Coming close requires matching both orbit and velocity (well, you can decide not to match velocity, but that means you have engagement windows of a few fraction of a second). Now, this is delta-v intensive and it means you will be closing very slowly, with lots of opportunities for either side to avoid the other.

It's much more logical to send a missile, which can automatically correct course and engage from extremely long ranges. Due to the light (or actually nonexistent warhead), the thing has massive delta v with little fuel. And, as it's a missile, it doesn't need to match velocity. Matching location is sufficient. And, since missiles are small, chances are that by the time it is detected, people are already dead. Speed is deadly in space.

When thinking of spacecombat, don't think of Battleships duking it out at close range (Not that they did, mind you). Think of submarines. (Alternatively, play KSP and try to dock)

Anyway, is there still space?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:14:16 am by 10ebbor10 »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 04:13:13 am »

Early space combat is likely to emulate naval warfare. We don't have the sensors to detect enemies at those longer ranges and fire during those tiny firing windows.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 04:33:09 am »

Early space combat is likely to emulate naval warfare. We don't have the sensors to detect enemies at those longer ranges and fire during those tiny firing windows.
No it isn't. Space is not an Ocean.

We do have the sensors to detect those things at longer ranges. (Besides, how are you going to match orbit with something you don't know is there?) . We had systems capable of doing this 30 years ago. And they did. Besides, how are you launching rockets if you can't get a rocket engine to start in a 1 second window. It's not amateur hour.

The Soviets did however, develop a co-orbiting missile system. It worked, but even as a missile, it needed 80-200 minutes to come within range and kill the target. By that time, the kinetic kill system could have killed you a hundred times over.

Besides, still no reason why anyone would utilize manned people. Your average person weights 70-80 kg. Include lifesupport, and that's probably in the 1 ton range  (much, much more if you want more luxury than a small mercury capsule). The ASAT weight 13.6 kg, and impacts at 24,140 km/h. That's 73 kg of TNTequivalent worth of kinetic energy.

Clearly, the missile is the superior option, even if you go for a co-orbiting model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Anti-satellite_weapon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASM-135_ASAT
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:37:19 am by 10ebbor10 »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:03 am »

I'm aware space is not an ocean. I mean they will likely emulate the distances early on. Odds are is the ranges will increase rapidly, but at the beginning, that's the most likely.

Most naval warfare between first world countries involves multiple kilometers between each side.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 04:57:05 am »

I'm aware space is not an ocean. I mean they will likely emulate the distances early on. Odds are is the ranges will increase rapidly, but at the beginning, that's the most likely.

Most naval warfare between first world countries involves multiple kilometers between each side.
No it isn't. And just reiterating your position doesn't make you right.

The only argument you give is that our sensors won't be good enough to see at longer range. The counterargument is obvious. How do you close in on an enemy, if you don't know where they are?

Anyway, in order to match orbit, you need to burn retrograde, enter another lower orbit, wait until you catch up, then burn forwards again. And that's if you don't need to change inclination, or altitude.

Spoiler:  An example (click to show/hide)

Naval combat between modern nation will occur beyond visual range. Cruise missiles and all that. Even Word War 2 torpedos had ranges in excess of 20 kilometers.

If you want space Pirates, just say you want space pirates. Don't try to justify what can't be justified.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:02:20 am by 10ebbor10 »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 08:48:51 am »

And then of course there's always the possibility of something we don't presently have popping up.

Like an Inertial Redirector. Or something.

I really don't care since it'll be a while before space combat happens anyway.

There's no real way that combat will be in light seconds though, unless we have functioning, compact and cost-effective laser weapons and targeting systems able to target someone at such distances, especially someone likely undergoing continuous evasive maneuvers.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 10:05:30 am »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 10:21:43 am »

So you're taking up missiles with you to space, as well? Man, that's gonna get expensive damn fast. Not to mention there's the whole CIWS thing, or other, as you've said, kinetic kill systems. It'll have a thermal signature just fine if it's guided, besides modern detection capabilities with simple things like radar. How would it have a better engine, anyhow? Lighter, certainly. More delta-V, quite possibly. More fuel, period, unlikely.

Edit: Point is, if you want to go for realism, space combat is unlikely and fairly unrealistic, at least this early on(especially/most definitely this early on). If you want to go for Sci Fi and have fun, then you can do space combat. But don't try and combine the two and still claim realism.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:25:38 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 10:37:29 am »

So you're taking up missiles with you to space, as well? Man, that's gonna get expensive damn fast. Not to mention there's the whole CIWS thing, or other, as you've said, kinetic kill systems. It'll have a thermal signature just fine if it's guided, besides modern detection capabilities with simple things like radar. How would it have a better engine, anyhow? Lighter, certainly. More delta-V, quite possibly. More fuel, period, unlikely.

Kinetic kill is the system by which the warhead operates. And you know, Close In Weapon Systems are mostly useless in space. A warhead closing in at 24 km/s isn't going to be stopped by the slow bullets flying towards it. Damaged, yes, but that doesn't really matter if the shrapnel still perforates the hull.

Better engine is simple. The target is likely to be optimized towards efficiency, and utilize ion engines or something. For a missile, long term operations don't matter much.

And you know, it might get expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as Space Pirates.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 10:45:51 am »

Gonna agree with 10ebbor on this stuff.

Also for singularity I really doubt it will become a thing within mine or your life span. The human brain is far to complicated for us to understand it anytime soon, let alone reproduce it to be more efficient and clever. Specially since it's had millions of years to trial and error it's way into nearly the most perfect and effective system possible.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 10:59:02 am »

If the guidance system is damages, it'll miss. Period. At such distances, a difference of a degree means missing by a mile. Sure, the shrapnel might spread, but that's what ERA, angled armor plates, double hulls, and pointing the cylindrical shape of your rocket directly towards the incoming debris is for. Point Defense against something like that isn't too hard. You have a long ways to see it coming, after all, and it'll be accelerating at, what, a thousand Gs? And yes, it'll get destroyed by those 'slow' bullets. ETC weapons can pack a punch, railguns(albeit ones that break after every shot) are already a thing, and it'll be affectes by it's own relative velocity causing it to be the one to slam into those bullets. And that's leaving aside counter-missiles, if you want to get into thag.

I very much disagree on the human brain being anywhere near the most perfect or effective thing possible. Evolution doesn't create perfection, it creates functionality. Occasionally it produces bloat.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 11:01:17 am »

Yeah when I wrote that I was like. Well that's an outright lie but oh well can't be bothered to change it.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2015, 11:14:47 am »

If the guidance system is damages, it'll miss. Period. At such distances, a difference of a degree means missing by a mile. Sure, the shrapnel might spread, but that's what ERA, angled armor plates, double hulls, and pointing the cylindrical shape of your rocket directly towards the incoming debris is for. Point Defense against something like that isn't too hard. You have a long ways to see it coming, after all, and it'll be accelerating at, what, a thousand Gs? And yes, it'll get destroyed by those 'slow' bullets. ETC weapons can pack a punch, railguns(albeit ones that break after every shot) are already a thing, and it'll be affectes by it's own relative velocity causing it to be the one to slam into those bullets. And that's leaving aside counter-missiles, if you want to get into thag.
Remember, closing speed of 24 km/s. Your close in weapon system has to fire at a small target coming in at an extremely high velocity, with a rather small size. You'll have to saturate an large area of space in order to be reasonably certain of stopping it. Depleting the weaponry would be relatively easy.

On a side note, the missile won't be accelerating when it comes in range of the CIWS. There's no point, as there's no friction. The only thing it would be doing is minute course adjustments to evade defenses, or to hit the craft.

(Also, ERA, armor plates, double hull. Going to be prohibitively expensive to launch all that.)

Now, back to the original point. CIWS don't matter more for long range than they do for short range. The only factor is how much money someone wants to throw at it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6