Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830377 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Tactical Mole Rats
« Reply #2310 on: October 20, 2015, 07:02:41 pm »

I'd hesitate to call Fallout 4 an action RPG. From what they've said about the changes to VATS and skills and whatever I'd say it's closer to an action-adventure game with RPG elements added.
What, pray tell, is your criteria for "RPG"?
In general it'd be that outcomes of individual events were determined more by character skill than player skill.
And? It bothers you that outcomes are being largely derived from SPECIAL scores and perks because... they aren't called "skills", despite functioning more or less in the same way? The only real player-skill-based element of the new Fallout games has been the gunplay. That looks to still be the case, and it's been heavily weighted by related skills and scores since FO3, with markedly decreased performance for characters with low totals in relevant skills and scores. Does it really matter that your ability to pick a lock is derived from Perception and perks rather than Lockpick? That your accuracy with guns is derived from Agility and your related perks rather than Guns?

About the only change I can think of that actually affects this is the shift of VATS from "lol pause to win" to aim-assisted slow motion, and that only relies on player skill if you're disabled, elderly, or for whatever other reason can't react quickly enough to click things in bullettime.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: October 20, 2015, 07:26:58 pm »

It might just be the name "perks", but it implies to me that you'll be able to do everything by default and the perks will just make you better at it, as opposed to actually needing some skill to be competent.

And unless a video's been released and I haven't seen it, we don't actually know how slow VATS will be. And besides that it's going from (not at all pause to win, unless you're only taking Fallout 3) a system based around the use of character skills and applying them most effectively, to a FPS but slower.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: October 20, 2015, 07:29:11 pm »

I actually quite enjoyed Fallout 3/NV's hacking minigame... it looked damn cool, and the sound effects were weirdly satisfying.
Sure it was frustrating (and kinda silly) to fail the minigame and end up locked out of some flimsy shack door, but it wasn't too hard to avoid if you were careful.

Also, RPG? A game where you play the role of your character?
I don't think you'll find any "trve RPGs" outside of text-based and/or tabletop games. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:06 pm »

It might just be the name "perks", but it implies to me that you'll be able to do everything by default and the perks will just make you better at it, as opposed to actually needing some skill to be competent.

And unless a video's been released and I haven't seen it, we don't actually know how slow VATS will be. And besides that it's going from (not at all pause to win, unless you're only taking Fallout 3) a system based around the use of character skills and applying them most effectively, to a FPS but slower.
I sincerely doubt that they're removing the arbitrary boundaries on things like lockpicking and hacking, those were far too useful as ways to gate content. I expect that it'll be something in the vein of a five-perk run (* = you can now pick Easy locks; ** = you can now pick Medium locks; *** = you can now pick Hard locks; &c.). That, or directly tied to ability scores (Perception's 6? Easy locks are yours! 7? So are Medium! &c.)

We did see footage of VATS in FO4. At E3. It's pretty hard to not know how slow it'll be when we got a good twenty seconds of VATS in gameplay.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: October 20, 2015, 08:52:54 pm »

I'd hesitate to call Fallout 4 an action RPG. From what they've said about the changes to VATS and skills and whatever I'd say it's closer to an action-adventure game with RPG elements added.
What, pray tell, is your criteria for "RPG"?
In general it'd be that outcomes of individual events were determined more by character skill than player skill.
And? It bothers you that outcomes are being largely derived from SPECIAL scores and perks because... they aren't called "skills", despite functioning more or less in the same way? The only real player-skill-based element of the new Fallout games has been the gunplay. That looks to still be the case, and it's been heavily weighted by related skills and scores since FO3, with markedly decreased performance for characters with low totals in relevant skills and scores. Does it really matter that your ability to pick a lock is derived from Perception and perks rather than Lockpick? That your accuracy with guns is derived from Agility and your related perks rather than Guns?

About the only change I can think of that actually affects this is the shift of VATS from "lol pause to win" to aim-assisted slow motion, and that only relies on player skill if you're disabled, elderly, or for whatever other reason can't react quickly enough to click things in bullettime.

I actually pretty much agree with this, I'm sure the new stat system will be nice.  I've mainly been bemoaning it due to nostalgia I guess.  I'd enjoy playing the Fallout tabletop game sometime.

I bristled a bit at calling VATS "lol pause to win" though, that's nonsense :P  In New Vegas it's a couple of measly bonus hits, mostly useful at close range.  In FO3 it was... pretty much the main combat system.  If you were leveled and specced appropriately, you could win the combat, because that's how stat-based RPGs work.  It was practically real-time-with-pausing, wonderfully ported to 3D.  I admit I missed that in New Vegas.  Maybe FO4 won't be another precision shooter though, hard to say!  VATS being slow instead of frozen doesn't really say much about how deadly it'll be.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:49 pm »

Yeah, I'll freely admit that I never cared for VATS in the context of 3D realtime games, it just felt far too dull. I call it "pause to win" because of the tendency I've noticed for it to be used as a panic button in response to being taken by surprise by... anything at all, really. Tried to sneak but your Sneak was too low? Don't worry, just VATS it! Didn't pay attention to the compass and a super mutant's in your grill? VATS! &c. &c. forever.

Despite it being clunky and not very well done, I liked how the gunplay worked, mixing the effects of your stats with your own ability to aim and react. FO4's VATS looks to be the best of both worlds, given that it's basically the bullettime you got with Project Nevada with the VATS overlay on top and the crit mechanic.

3. Run Resize Enable

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: October 21, 2015, 11:35:12 am »

Looks like Lady Luck is on our side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG0DkwNZxME

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: October 21, 2015, 04:48:06 pm »

The Magic of the Unexpected
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: October 21, 2015, 07:44:03 pm »

Fallout 4: Gettin' Lucky.

3. Run Resize Enable

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: October 21, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »

Cough hoping against hope we get card games again cough
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: October 22, 2015, 03:04:04 am »

Cough hoping against hope we get card games again cough
Most likely they have been neglected in favor of pip-boy game cartridges.

but we never know until the game is out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: The Magic of the Unexpected
« Reply #2321 on: October 22, 2015, 10:03:01 am »

pip-boy game cartridges are also pretty cool though

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 22, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »

I just rewatched the E3 presentation. My hype levels are reaching critical mass, alongside half the internet apparently.

I rewatched the parts about customization while drinking an energy drink and began to wonder if that was indicative of regular armor customization.

This began a very weird thought process; I want to make Butch DeLoria's vision come true. I will make the baddest greaser gang the wastelands have ever seen. But instead of motorcycles, we customize and use power armor. Which brought up, if I could customize power armor, why not stitch some logos on leather jackets and create TEAM ELVIS GURREN. If I could upload an image to use as a logo (or mod into the game), I would make our gang logo a headshot of Elvis with Kamina glasses. There can be no more manliness then fucking Elvis Kamina. YOUR POMPADOUR IS THE POMPADOUR THAT WILL PIERCE THE WASTELAND.

tl;dr this game's making me go fucking insane and its not even out yet.

P.S. If anyone knows a good MMO where you can upload custom guild/clan logos, please pm me. TEAM ELVIS GURREN needs to be a thing.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 22, 2015, 02:11:04 pm »

Why not a power armour mounted on top of a motorcycle? A powercycle?
Love, scriver~

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 22, 2015, 02:39:27 pm »

P.S. If anyone knows a good MMO where you can upload custom guild/clan logos, please pm me. TEAM ELVIS GURREN needs to be a thing.
Dunno if this counts, but From the Depths has flags that you can customize, adn all the AI minion combat bots have a flag...

Also, I was gonna talk about powerarmor with built in motorcycles... Sort of (but not really) like Tron...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 462