Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 830373 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Tactical Mole Rats
« Reply #2295 on: October 20, 2015, 01:01:05 am »

ninja'd
Also it's an urban area devastated by bombs, like the capital wasteland was.  I'm really excited about that actually.  New Vegas was a great game but my favorite part of the series is nasty blasted ruins.  New Vegas was too developed for my liking.  Maybe I'll enjoy building something out of the rubble myself though.

... I also loved the original RPG elements, like skills/traits/perks/SPECIAL, but eh... mods.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: October 20, 2015, 01:04:40 am »

I do have a question but it is a bit vitriolic... but since this isn't really a problem that will EVER pop up again I'll put it in spoilers. So people who hate criticism can skip it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:06 am »

That and it is a post apoc setting where most things are made of repurposed junk

True, very true.

ninja'd
Also it's an urban area devastated by bombs, like the capital wasteland was.  I'm really excited about that actually.  New Vegas was a great game but my favorite part of the series is nasty blasted ruins.  New Vegas was too developed for my liking.  Maybe I'll enjoy building something out of the rubble myself though.

... I also loved the original RPG elements, like skills/traits/perks/SPECIAL, but eh... mods.

Hopefully they will be able to mod that kind of stuff into the game, but seeing the kind of things that Skyrim was capable of on a last gen engine. It probably won't be a problem.

Edit: Although technically this is a last gen next gen engine, since they are using the same one, but upgraded.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 01:15:52 am by XhAPPYSLApX »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: October 20, 2015, 05:51:39 am »

I think that the game looks pretty great, aesthethics-wise. One thing that was true for F3 was that they certainly worked very hard to reproduce the look of the old fallout games, sometimes to a ridiculous level. F4 looks - from the little we've seen so far - like it wants to establish itself a bit more, appearance-wise. This is not bad in itself, although there's iconic stuff I would enjoy if it remainined the same. If we talk purely "graphic level" them it of course looks superb, but then again I assume it is played on Beth's gaming super computer to give it that way.

However. It also has lots of little things that are very "bethesdian" in that they've been in almost all their games since-and-including Morrowind. They've gotten better for each game but they're still there - people still walk like they're stuck on a stick bound to a rail or something, for example. And that they just upgraded the looks without dealing with these... I'm not sure what the word I'm looking for is... These little annoying things that's been with them for so long, that's a bit grating.

ninja'd

But the Capital Wasteland looked nothing like an area devastated by bombs. At least not to me.

One of my favorite changes in 4 is actually the fact that they got rid of the skills system, because while it makes a LOT of sense in a turn based game, it doesn't so much in an action RPG, again, impo.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'd agree that it fits a highly action/shooter focused RPG better, but I have no idea why lockpicking or science or repair etc would work better in a turn based game than a realtime one.
Love, scriver~

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: October 20, 2015, 07:16:13 am »

I do have a question but it is a bit vitriolic... but since this isn't really a problem that will EVER pop up again I'll put it in spoilers. So people who hate criticism can skip it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: October 20, 2015, 11:12:22 am »

I'd hesitate to call Fallout 4 an action RPG. From what they've said about the changes to VATS and skills and whatever I'd say it's closer to an action-adventure game with RPG elements added.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: October 20, 2015, 12:30:49 pm »

One of my favorite changes in 4 is actually the fact that they got rid of the skills system, because while it makes a LOT of sense in a turn based game, it doesn't so much in an action RPG, again, impo.

I'm not sure what you mean. I'd agree that it fits a highly action/shooter focused RPG better, but I have no idea why lockpicking or science or repair etc would work better in a turn based game than a realtime one.

It's how those skills worked in the other games, it made less sense in a realtime game to have a required skill level to hack or pick something, whereas in the older ones, it made a bit more sense, because it was like a pen and paper rpg. Hope I clarified it a bit :D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:32:26 pm by XhAPPYSLApX »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: October 20, 2015, 03:30:16 pm »

I hope they totally ditch the HORRIBLE hacking minigame.  Either come up with a fun minigame, or just make hacking happen automatically.  And definitely DON'T allow me to fail, locking me out, but also allow me to just cancel out of the interface and try again. 

I liked FO3 and NV, but the hacking was one of the absolute worst parts of the game... and it gave you XP, so it gave you XP for engaging in a tedious, unfun activity.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: October 20, 2015, 03:34:18 pm »

I'd hesitate to call Fallout 4 an action RPG. From what they've said about the changes to VATS and skills and whatever I'd say it's closer to an action-adventure game with RPG elements added.
What, pray tell, is your criteria for "RPG"?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: October 20, 2015, 03:44:45 pm »

What, pray tell, is your criteria for "RPG"?
In general it'd be that outcomes of individual events were determined more by character skill than player skill.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: October 20, 2015, 03:59:20 pm »

I hope they totally ditch the HORRIBLE hacking minigame.  Either come up with a fun minigame, or just make hacking happen automatically.  And definitely DON'T allow me to fail, locking me out, but also allow me to just cancel out of the interface and try again. 

I liked FO3 and NV, but the hacking was one of the absolute worst parts of the game... and it gave you XP, so it gave you XP for engaging in a tedious, unfun activity.
You can cancel out and go back in, as long as you haven't been locked out completely. And there's a perk that stops you being locked out altogether.

As a minigame, it's alright. You just have to use a little brainpower - not even all that much - and work it out.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2306 on: October 20, 2015, 04:03:27 pm »

I actually liked the hacking minigame. Disliked the lockpicking.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: October 20, 2015, 04:13:56 pm »

Hacking is pretty godawful, yeah. Not a fan of it. I've literally never built a lockpicking character, but I've made plenty that use science-And every time I see a terminal my damned curiosity leads me to spend who knows how long entering and leaving so I get more chances to be right.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: October 20, 2015, 04:21:21 pm »

Back when FO3 launched I noticed how quick saving / quick loading and redoing the hacking puzzle until I got it right (aka Bruteforce) usually took the same (and even less) time than figuring the puzzle out the right way.
Probably because I never had the patience to learn it. I did learn it recently (as in, all the tips'n'tricks to do it properly, like the secret "reset attempts" code-blocks), but I still think bruteforcing it is just as effective if you can't be bothered.

I don't mind lockpicking in Fallout or Skyrim. But can you imagine if all games had the same lockpicking mechanic as Oblivion had? Holy shit.
Open console, target object, type "unlock" to keep your sanity.
Still, I did play the whole of Oblivion and never not-opened something...I think I should get to know if I have gaming OCD.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: October 20, 2015, 04:42:22 pm »

Back when FO3 launched I noticed how quick saving / quick loading and redoing the hacking puzzle until I got it right (aka Bruteforce) usually took the same (and even less) time than figuring the puzzle out the right way.
Probably because I never had the patience to learn it. I did learn it recently (as in, all the tips'n'tricks to do it properly, like the secret "reset attempts" code-blocks), but I still think bruteforcing it is just as effective if you can't be bothered.

I don't mind lockpicking in Fallout or Skyrim. But can you imagine if all games had the same lockpicking mechanic as Oblivion had? Holy shit.
Open console, target object, type "unlock" to keep your sanity.
Still, I did play the whole of Oblivion and never not-opened something...I think I should get to know if I have gaming OCD.
I prefer the Oblivion lockpicking to Fallout or Skyrim's, mostly due to the fact that I can actually see what I am doing. In Skyrim/Fallout you had to mostly guess and hope your pick wouldn't break, to the point where I had to download a mod that added chalk lines around the lock so I could see where I was when the pick broke (as the animation of the lock and such made it hard to tell). I also like Oblivion style of casting magic better, as you did not have to swap out of your weapon, shield or whatever in order to cast a simple spell. (Curse that game's leveling system though, seriously)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 462